SiouxSports.com Forum

UC Davis & Cal Poly

oyerbonde

UC Davis & Cal Poly will be leaving the Great West within the next 3 to 5 years. The new stadium in Davis (30,000 capacity) is a solid signal of their intentions. Cal Poly is situated differently, but given their druthers, they will eventually attempt to make the next jump also. Davis is gone for sure. The only division that is on the radar in California is DI because of the presence of so many DI programs.

The Great West is standing on very shaky ground because of this...and because of the departure of NDSU, SDSU, and Northern Colorado.

The Big Sky had two western members vote not to accept NDSU & SDSU. The leaders of the conference voted to require a 100 percent vote to accept any school. This...to me...was the work of Montana and Montana State. Montana, especially, has enjoyed being the kingpin of the Big Sky. They like their position very much. They won't be going anywhere unless the landscape changes dramatically. They are not positioned as well as the current WAC schools to recruit California athletes, which is where a high percentage of the major talent comes from in the WAC. Montana 'did not' want NDSU in the league...period. They used the 100 percent approval as a smoke-screen. That doesn't bode well for entrance by UND either.

I am wondering if it wouldn't be wise to begin the process of putting together a conference with UMD, St. Cloud, Bemidji, Mankato, USD, and a few other regional schools. I think that these schools, in time, will also want to move up to DI-AA in football and DI in their other sports. Most of the schools that I've listed are already playing DI hockey. They have a historical connection with UND as far as hockey is concerned and also the NCC connection in other sports. I would also think that Winona and possibly St. Thomas would be interested. This would give us our 'bus' conference and would save a lot of money in the non-revenue sports.

With a little bit of encouragement and coaxing, I think that these schools would consider moving up. Getting support from UND and USD could make a difference.

I propose that we join the Great West, participate as long as possible, and in the meantime begin organizing the above-described conference for all sports. D2 is withering on the vine. The ncaa has done a really good job of ruining this once-powerful division. Many of the schools that I've mentioned won't be satisfied with D2 for very long. The competition level will continue to drop and the caliber of play will drop to the point where regional athletes simply won't go there. They'll opt to walk on at DI-AA schools. When this becomes obvious, which will be very soon, there will be many schools that will be interested in moving up.

UC Davis & Cal Poly will be leaving the Great West within the next 3 to 5 years. The new stadium in Davis (30,000 capacity) is a solid signal of their intentions. Cal Poly is situated differently, but given their druthers, they will eventually attempt to make the next jump also. Davis is gone for sure. The only division that is on the radar in California is DI because of the presence of so many DI programs.

The Great West is standing on very shaky ground because of this...and because of the departure of NDSU, SDSU, and Northern Colorado.

The Big Sky had two western members vote not to accept NDSU & SDSU. The leaders of the conference voted to require a 100 percent vote to accept any school. This...to me...was the work of Montana and Montana State. Montana, especially, has enjoyed being the kingpin of the Big Sky. They like their position very much. They won't be going anywhere unless the landscape changes dramatically. They are not positioned as well as the current WAC schools to recruit California athletes, which is where a high percentage of the major talent comes from in the WAC. Montana 'did not' want NDSU in the league...period. They used the 100 percent approval as a smoke-screen. That doesn't bode well for entrance by UND either.

I am wondering if it wouldn't be wise to begin the process of putting together a conference with UMD, St. Cloud, Bemidji, Mankato, USD, and a few other regional schools. I think that these schools, in time, will also want to move up to DI-AA in football and DI in their other sports. Most of the schools that I've listed are already playing DI hockey. They have a historical connection with UND as far as hockey is concerned and also the NCC connection in other sports. I would also think that Winona and possibly St. Thomas would be interested. This would give us our 'bus' conference and would save a lot of money in the non-revenue sports.

With a little bit of encouragement and coaxing, I think that these schools would consider moving up. Getting support from UND and USD could make a difference.

I propose that we join the Great West, participate as long as possible, and in the meantime begin organizing the above-described conference for all sports. D2 is withering on the vine. The ncaa has done a really good job of ruining this once-powerful division. Many of the schools that I've mentioned won't be satisfied with D2 for very long. The competition level will continue to drop and the caliber of play will drop to the point where regional athletes simply won't go there. They'll opt to walk on at DI-AA schools. When this becomes obvious, which will be very soon, there will be many schools that will be interested in moving up.

Interesting take. Had this been UND's thought process I am sure they would have just stayed in the NCC. However, I think your right about the Great West. UC-Davis will eventually go FBS, there is no doubt about it, although it still may be a while before they get there. They have built a new stadium but it will only seat around 11,000 this year. If I remember right, this is phase one of their three phase build out. It is going to take some time for them to get their ducks in a row. I really wish Minnesota State was going DI right now with UND and USD so as to help create enough teams in the area to schedule more DI bus games. Poly is a long ways off from being able to upgrade their football to FBS. What I am saying is that UND and USD will be in the Great Way for all of their transition. UC-Davis and Cal Poly won't be going anywhere for a while and SUU only gets into the big Sky if Montana or Sac state go to the WAC which is only possible if LA-Tech leaves the WAC and goes to the CUSA which is only possible if the Big East splits, which will probably happen if they add another football team, which is only possible if UMASS goes FBS or Central Florida continues to upgrade to their athletic facility which is only possible if.... Well, you get the point, by the time UND is through probation, who knows what the conference scene will look like. So just relax, and enjoy the speculation and bumpy ride.

Duluth, Mankato, and Saint Cloud could do it if they could get enough private donor money.

Yes, and if pigs had wings we'd all be carrying umbrellas.

If they had the donors they'd have gone with UND and USD. Instead, they've applied to the NSIC.

Got to love a post whose 1st sentence is made up, which then assumes this made up idea as fact and talks about it for another 5 paragraphs.

Seriously, your an NDSU fan, its blatantly obvious. The whole "We didn't get into the conference because they were scared of us" gives you away every time. Having to read through that kind of arrogance made me stop even looking at the Bison board.

NDSU didn't get in the big sky because they are located in Fargo, ND, period. Montana wasn't afraid, Sac State wasn't afraid, they just didn't want to go to Fargo. Get over it already.

Got to love a post whose 1st sentence is made up, which then assumes this made up idea as fact and talks about it for another 5 paragraphs.

Seriously, your an NDSU fan, its blatantly obvious. The whole "We didn't get into the conference because they were scared of us" gives you away every time. Having to read through that kind of arrogance made me stop even looking at the Bison board.

NDSU didn't get in the big sky because they are located in Fargo, ND, period. Montana wasn't afraid, Sac State wasn't afraid, they just didn't want to go to Fargo. Get over it already.

CaBisonFan ?

You read only what you wanted to read. What in the hell are you so paranoid about?

I wrote this:

That doesn't bode well for entrance by UND either.

Meaning Montana won't want UND either and they pull the weight in the Big Sky. They would fear UND also. The Big Sky decision had more to do with power than distance. Otherwise the 100 percent vote requirement would not have been instituted. One could assume that the two Montana schools had 'something' to say about the vote requirement. Even Griz fans, in their chat room, have the opinion that their man in the conference leadership position was the problem.

I show a little respect for UND, and what do I get? More defensive bull$%!#.

Seriously...I grew up in eastern North Dakota and had a natural interest in athletics at both schools. I've cheered for the Sioux in the Frozen Four, cheered for the Sioux in basketball, and cheered for both schools in football. I can remember listening to the Sioux basketball team with sweaty palms when I was a kid. Phil Jackson was playing. Remember Phil? He's the guy that coached the Bulls and the Lakers. Grew up in Williston...ah...North Dakota. I watched him slam dunk the ball from the top of the key to end the Class A Championship game on TV. Not bad. Oh yeah...I enjoyed the bucket teams from the mid-90s. Went to as many games as possible both at home and away.

Read what you want. Believe what you want. Criticize what you want. It make no difference to me...K? :angry:

You're the one that needs to get over something. If I were just a Bison fan, I'd have nothing to get over.

I think that UC Davis has an eye toward moving to the FBS, but I think that move is probably 10 or more years down the road. I think that Cal Poly plans on building a top FCS teams and will go to the FBS only if they are left with no other options.

I think that UC Davis has an eye toward moving to the FBS, but I think that move is probably 10 or more years down the road. I think that Cal Poly plans on building a top FCS teams and will go to the FBS only if they are left with no other options.

I hope Davis and Poly don't move up too soon. The Great West is already on the verge of dying. If the Cal schools leave before UND gets into a better conference, we are sunk.

I stated an opinion based upon observations. There's plenty of arrogance on this board, and you are one of the more arrogant writers. There's also a lot of paranoia here. You can't feel or see the arrogance because you are so deeply embedded.

It was a bull$%!# article, with some statements of fact...one being the destruction of D2 by the ncaa. It has forced the hands of some of the stronger programs...with UND and NDSU being two of them.

You took the bait. You're the winner.

I stated an opinion based upon observations. There's plenty of arrogance on this board, and you are one of the more arrogant writers. There's also a lot of paranoia here. You can't feel or see the arrogance because you are so deeply embedded.

It was a bull$%!# article, with some statements of fact...one being the destruction of D2 by the ncaa. It has forced the hands of some of the stronger programs...with UND and NDSU being two of them.

You took the bait. You're the winner.

Awesome. To all you sioux fans out there calling me a bison or jacks fan, heres a guy calling me a sioux fan! LOL.

Seriously though, you're not fooling anybody, give it up. Just admit you're an NDSU fan and be done with it. You're pleas of innocence are falling on deaf ears.

Awesome. To all you sioux fans out there calling me a bison or jacks fan, heres a guy calling me a sioux fan! LOL.

Seriously though, you're not fooling anybody, give it up. Just admit you're an NDSU fan and be done with it. You're pleas of innocence are falling on deaf ears.

innocence?

I 'am' a fan of different sports at UND & NDSU and I should plea for innocence?

You're the arrogant one.

What are you a fan of...yourself?

Give it a rest. This is the last response to you. I refuse to waste time on a troll. You know what I'm saying is true, I know its true, and 75% of the posters here know its true. Give it up.

No problem. I give you permission not to respond. Seems that you have to be either a Sioux or a Bison fan in North Dakota. Can't be a tweener at all. That's why the rivalry should not be renewed. The hatred is too embedded. I've learned what I need to know.