SiouxSports.com Forum

Michael Forney

riders06

I hate to say it, but I see this kid as being a bust. He may be injured as of now and during pretty much the whole season, but when he does play he looks like a pewee playing high school hockey. He might be one of the worst skaters I have ever seen at the University of North Dakota. I was happy at first when UND got him, but I just don't think Forney will have a bright future ahead of him. I would suggest for him to play a year in the USHL, where I don't think he would even dominate the competition. This kid had high potential coming into this year, but after seeing him play, I and a few other Sioux fans feel this way. I will tell Forney this, work out hard this off-season, get healthy, and hopefully prove us wrong. As of now I just don't see him panning out.

I hate to say it, but I see this kid as being a bust. He may be injured as of now and during pretty much the whole season, but when he does play he looks like a pewee playing high school hockey. He might be one of the worst skaters I have ever seen at the University of North Dakota. I was happy at first when UND got him, but I just don't think Forney will have a bright future ahead of him. I would suggest for him to play a year in the USHL, where I don't think he would even dominate the competition. This kid had high potential coming into this year, but after seeing him play, I and a few other Sioux fans feel this way. I will tell Forney this, work out hard this off-season, get healthy, and hopefully prove us wrong. As of now I just don't see him panning out.

Whew!

It took long enough to be labelled a bust!

Poor thing. Forney should just quit hockey. I mean, he's only played a few games and the rest of his days at UND have already been decided. He should go to Lee and ask how he does it.

Seriously, WHEN Forney proves you wrong (which he will because you are) I would certainly expect a long explanation on your ability to evaluate busts (I mean... inability sorry) and how you were wrong.

Could Forney be a bust? Maybe. When will we know? After he graduates. Could he be a bust before he graduates? Only if he leaves the team before he graduates and his play makes it apparant. Can he still be playing for UND and be a bust? Nope.

No the USHL doesn't make players heal better, BUT if he is healing and not able to contribute next year, wouldn't a year in the USHL be wise so that it perserves a year at UND?

It wouldnt preserve a year at UND because your eligibility clock starts ticking as soon as you enter school and doesnt stop wit the exception of a medical or regular red shirt.

I don't think Forney will be a bust, and I do think he will have a long and successful NHL career. BUT, I hope if next year is a repeat of this, it happens in the USHL. He just needs to get healthy and if it takes an extra year, which it very likely might, so be it.

That's pretty harsh, but I do agree with the fact he needs a lot of work on his skating. He looks like his is always about to fall down when he skates. I don't want to label him as a bust because he still has three year to improve his game, and I hope he does.

I have a hard time understanding why any loyal Sioux fan would start such a thread when we should be concentrating on all the positives that are currently unfolding for this team. Are some of you bitter about hockey careers that were never realized or something like that.

None of you pessimists and naysayers have seen enough of a healthy Forney playing WCHA hockey regularly to draw the conclusions you are making. If he is healthy to start next season at least wait until next years Christmas break before you toss him on the bust pile.

I have a hard time understanding why any loyal Sioux fan would start such a thread when we should be concentrating on all the positives that are currently unfolding for this team. Are some of you bitter about hockey careers that were never realized or something like that.

None of you pessimists and naysayers have seen enough of a healthy Forney playing WCHA hockey regularly to draw the conclusions you are making. If he is healthy to start next season at least wait until next years Christmas break before you toss him on the bust pile.

It's easier to be negative than to be positive. Why be Disney when you can be some doom and gloom artist?

Angst is in. How else can you explain the success of Linkin Park, Papa Roach, recent rap music (1990-Present), and so on?

Also, jumping to conclusions is so much fun, why miss out? :silly: (no, this observation isn't related to your post, just to the SiouxForevers and so on).

This post is right on, I don't know how you can label him a bust.

The kid hardly ever plays, his whole life he played every other shift for TRF. Now he is lucky to get 3 shifts a period. It takes a while to adjust to the playing time scaleback. Same goes for Vandy. Notice whenever vandy gets a regular shift he plays really well?

Someone stated this before and I think it's worth repeating, I think we were all a bit spoiled by Oshie's awesome play last year. It's easy to draw comparisons between Forney & Oshie: both were from MN section 8A and both led their respective teams to state playoffs. It's pretty clear that they're not the same type of player, though. Forney's finesse and Oshie works his but off. Anyway, I, too, hope that he has an awesome sophomore season. Expectations are high.

well said hab-it ! how does that song go ............................It's a wonderful time of the year :)

Someone stated this before and I think it's worth repeating, I think we were all a bit spoiled by Oshie's awesome play last year. It's easy to draw comparisons between Forney & Oshie: both were from MN section 8A and both led their respective teams to state playoffs. It's pretty clear that they're not the same type of player, though. Forney's finesse and Oshie works his but off. Anyway, I, too, hope that he has an awesome sophomore season. Expectations are high.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Oshie was a little older than Forney when they first arrived. Oshie is a late 1986 (December I believe) and Forney was born in the summer of 1988. That means that there was roughly 6 to 8 months difference between the two when they first arrived at UND. This may explain some of the differences between these two.

I'm also guessing that Forney did not prepare enough for University hockey. For the few times that I've seen him he appears to be physically weaker than the guys he is playing against. If he is having surgery this summer, that may take away another year of strength training. You may have to wait until the following year to see him take off.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Oshie was a little older than Forney when they first arrived. Oshie is a late 1986 (December I believe) and Forney was born in the summer of 1988. That means that there was roughly 6 to 8 months difference between the two when they first arrived at UND. This may explain some of the differences between these two.

I'm also guessing that Forney did not prepare enough for University hockey. For the few times that I've seen him he appears to be physically weaker than the guys he is playing against. If he is having surgery this summer, that may take away another year of strength training. You may have to wait until the following year to see him take off.

Forney was a multi sport athlete, which means that he was not focused on hockey prep year round. I'm not sure about Oshie.

Hak has said (recently) he expects Forney to be a top-two liner.

If he's not there, and the whispers of physical (shoulder) issues persist, it's time to be patient.

Let's get him healed up before we crucify him. :)

agreed. ive been getting really tired of the critics. this talking reminds me of when lammy when he had an ankle sprain, and some were talking about how he sucked etc.

I think we Sioux fans have been a little spoiled over the years on freshmen production, most recently by Toews and Oshie, and in recent years, too many to list here. People have been ripping him about strength, but remember he is an 18 year old freshmen playing in a very difficult league. He will, in all likelyhood, fill out physically. I see people ripping him about his skating skills, but I recall the same gripe about Bochenski a few years ago. The point of this all is to remind everybody that he has FOUR years to play for this team, please let him get a chance to develop, like most other WCHA team fans allow their players to do. Perhaps, he will be compared to another Section 8 player we may all recall, one who had a mere 2 goals and 9 assists in his freshman year, then 22 goals and 22 assists in his sophmore year, and 32 goals and 37 assists his junior year, then turning pro. His name is Bryan Lundbohm. Give the kid a break, and let's see what the next three years may bring.