SiouxSports.com Forum

Do you care if UND ever plays NDSU again?

CMSioux

Wasn't sure where to post it, so I thought this was the best fitting thread. To good not to post though.

My nephew (a Sioux fan) who lives in Fargo gets invited over to a friends house to play for the first time. It was on a Friday night, so obviously, my nephew's wearing his Sioux gear. Turns out, the friend he's visiting is NDSU's Athletic Director, Gene Taylor's son. Nothing like supporting your team on enemy grounds! :lol:

That's a pretty good story.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did they whip up some popcorn and watch the Sioux on the FSSN together?

No, not that night. My brother didn't know it was the AD's house he was going to. He was invited back, but the next time, my brother had him go in Notre Dame gear, his other team. However, they took him out to dinner. My nephew's a pretty bulky kid, and has potential for football in his future. If NDSU ever tries to recruit him, I'm going public with recruiting violations!!! :lol:

I personally hope they never play again. The NDSU fans are still bitter over all the s&!t UND threw there way when SU decided to move up. The truth was the Bison made the right move. D2 was and still is being dragged down to the level of it's D3 couterparts. The small schools keep banding together at meetings and voting to reduce scholorships. Less scholorships, less talent. You can't tell me if St Cloud has to join the N. Sun conference at give up some of it's scholerships that they will still be as good as they are now, not that they are a powerhouse. UND missed the bus when NDSU moved up. Now the UND fans will have to take some s&!t back. Just how it goes. Let the rivalry die, let the topic die. Move on to the future!

Here's a great story for everyone early on a Monday morning.

Since Mr. HockeyMom and I don't get FSSN, we went up to a local watering hole Saturday night to watch the game. When we got there, the tv wasn't on the channel, so I asked the bartender to turn the channel to the game to which he did. One of the wisest Bison fans ever, saw that they had changed the channel, and looked over at us and yelled, "Division I Wannabes!" To which Mr. HockeyMom started to laugh and replied, "Good one ______!" And we both started to laugh pretty hard.

I guess having 7 Division I titles still makes us wannabes. And to stress a point, there is no -AA after our Division I program.

Since Mr. HockeyMom and I don't get FSSN, we went up to a local watering hole Saturday night to watch the game. When we got there, the tv wasn't on the channel, so I asked the bartender to turn the channel to the game to which he did. One of the wisest Bison fans ever, saw that they had changed the channel, and looked over at us and yelled, "Division I Wannabes!" To which Mr. HockeyMom started to laugh and replied, "Good one ______!" And we both started to laugh pretty hard.

I guess having 7 Division I titles still makes us wannabes. And to stress a point, there is no -AA after our Division I program.

There will be next year when UND moves up! Remember, -AA is FOR FOOTBALL ONLY! Not basketball or baseball or volleyball or any other sports! They are all 1-A.

PS. That was a pretty stupid remark that guy made. Good luck in the playoffs from a bison fan

There will be next year when UND moves up! Remember, -AA is FOR FOOTBALL ONLY! Not basketball or baseball or volleyball or any other sports! They are all 1-A.

There is no I-AA or I-A in football anymore either, now it's FBS or FCS football, all Division I.

FBS - Football Bowl Subdivision

FCS - Football Championship Subdivision

All other sports are Division I.

There is no I-AA or I-A in football anymore either, now it's FBS or FCS football, all Division I.

FBS - Football Bowl Subdivision

FCS - Football Championship Subdivision

All other sports are Division I.

Any idea why they went with FCS rather than FPS. The Bowl Subdivision still has a champion and so Playoff Subdivision would seem to make more sense. Not that people won't still use the old names anyway, but it would be more technically accurate.

That is a great story HockeyMom. I live in Fargo and wear my Sioux apparrel quite a bit, people are always giving me a bad time about the D1 thing. NDSU made a very bold move a few years back when they went D1, UND evaluated things and realized it is the right thing to do. What gets me is the stubborness of the Bison brass that refuses to get involved with hockey. I know for a fact they were offered the new hockey arena in Fargo on a silver platter with 8000 seats. Personally I'm glad they turned it down, I prefer the new USHL team coming to town.

I've talked to many Bison fans that had a great time in Minneapolis when the Bison played the Gophers in football. I think the Bison brass should take in the WCHA Final Five in St Paul this weekend to see how exciting college hockey is. I understand that college football & basketball are much bigger on a national level, but hey we live in North Dakota where hockey is popular. This weekend the WCHA Final Five will be packed with fans from Wisconsin, Minnesota, St. Cloud St. & North Dakota. Michigan Tech is the other school in the tournament, could you imagine if that was NDSU? I give credit to the Bison for their move to D1, but you have to give UND credit for their vision with D1 hockey.

Any idea why they went with FCS rather than FPS. The Bowl Subdivision still has a champion and so Playoff Subdivision would seem to make more sense. Not that people won't still use the old names anyway, but it would be more technically accurate.

The NCAA only recognizes the champion from the FCS. The FBS "champion" is crowned from the BCS, which is a separate entitiy from the NCAA.

This is the official quote from the NCAA site-http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/champs_listing1.html

The NCAA does not conduct a championship for the Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (Division I FBS - formerly Division I-A). Instead, these teams participate in a national championship system developed by the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) organization.

A Not sure where to post story......

Visiting the Twin Cities this last weekend and while reading the Star Tribune and the St Paul Pioneer Press, found it interesting that there were a couple stories about UND Hockey and UND Womens Basketball in their papers....

I looked and looked for the other Div 1 institution from our state, no news? articles?....Where is the parity?

Visiting the Twin Cities this last weekend and while reading the Star Tribune and the St Paul Pioneer Press, found it interesting that there were a couple stories about UND Hockey and UND Womens Basketball in their papers....

I looked and looked for the other Div 1 institution from our state, no news? articles?....Where is the parity?

My two cents...

1. There are usually stories about Sioux hockey because your success has impacts on the UofM.

2. I didn't see this article but I would assume it was in their "other colleges" section. They commonly refer to D2 teams news in both papers.

NDSU coverage is there but only on game days (or when discussing our past or future football game).

Cute story. Nice try at being witty. Hopefully next time you won't be put in a "Box"! :)

You don't think NDSU FB & BB seasons already being finished might have something to do with it do you? .... :)

On the contrary, I think they're doing it at the perfect time. If UND missed the bus when NDSU moved up, then for the sake of consistency you would also have to say that NDSU missed the bus when Jacksonville State moved up... buy I don't think you'll find many folks dumb enough to buy that argument.

What?:)??? NDSU did move up at the right time. Within a few years we were able to get conferences for all sports. That in and of itself speaks to it being the "right" time. If we would have moved up later than when we did we would still be stuck in independentville.

That being said, we will find out in 3-5 years if UND moving up was at the right time. It can be argued that if UND would have taken the plunge with NDSU, we would likely have buddied up with UND to make it through transition as it's very logical with our close proximity.

If UND finds conferences for all sports and they are not "stuck" then UND will have made the move at the "right" time. If UND struggles to find conferences then it is the wrong time.

just curious about a question. since all other teams will be D1a not AA is there any other probationary period for the other sports regarding playoffs or is it just football?

I believe that FB has a 5 year probation and basketball has something around 8-10 years.... Not sure of the exact amount.

Excellent points!!!

Again... Hockey is popular because it's the only taste of "big time" competition the greater state of North Dakota has had. If given the chance (just like the rest of the nation) Men's Basketball would reign supreme. All it will take is one of the local teams to make it to the NCAA tourney. In NDSU's case that is as easy as winning the Mid-Con tourney(which NDSU would already compete well at).

What?:)??? NDSU did move up at the right time. Within a few years we were able to get conferences for all sports. That in and of itself speaks to it being the "right" time. If we would have moved up later than when we did we would still be stuck in independentville.

That being said, we will find out in 3-5 years if UND moving up was at the right time. It can be argued that if UND would have taken the plunge with NDSU, we would likely have buddied up with UND to make it through transition as it's very logical with our close proximity.

If UND finds conferences for all sports and they are not "stuck" then UND will have made the move at the "right" time. If UND struggles to find conferences then it is the wrong time.

Exactly, thank you

You don't think NDSU FB & BB seasons already being finished might have something to do with it do you? .... :)

Hmmm...to listen to many of the NDSU rubes, you'd think the papers would be falling all over themselves publishing college baseball stuff, after all it's much, much more popular than hockey could ever be. What a joke.

Hmmm...to listen to many of the NDSU rubes, you'd think the papers would be falling all over themselves publishing college baseball stuff, after all it's much, much more popular than hockey could ever be. What a joke.

I've been to 8 college baseball World Series. The college World Series takes up two weeks on ESPN.

I'll take the CWS over the many college hockey tourney's and Stanley Cup finals I've been to.

I've been to 8 college baseball World Series. The college World Series takes up two weeks on ESPN.

I'll take the CWS over the many college hockey tourney's and Stanley Cup finals I've been to.

All I know is that it's a hell of a lot of fun having a conference tournament and another NCAA championship run to look forward to. Let's just say the buzz around the water cooler today didn't involve any college baseball or softball....agree to disagree.

The CWS is a big event, but NDSU won't get there anytime soon. I think I saw where the Bison lost 14-2 to Kansas State recently. K-State will probably finish last in the Big XII. More times than not UND has a chance at the Frozen Four. College hockey is big in the upper plains, northeast, and in the crappy city of Denver. Otherwise, baseball is the bigger college sport. Personally, I'd rather win in the less popular sport than field a poor team in a more popular sport.