SiouxSports.com Forum

Q & A With Erik Johnson

Ray77

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK I am a SIOUX fan check my previous posts BUT I agree with UMhockey on this lets not assume Erik Johnson is a Moron all of us are jeolous of his hockey skills and you know it. I have heard him speak numerous times and he is a typical 18 year old. Lets not paint him as a moron because he is not. That being said I really love this quote. I am gald while he is a student athlete the U gives him more to do than just play hockey :)

Q: Have you stopped going to class?

A: Many times, I have been really close to stopping, but no, I am there pretty regularly. My classes are somewhat interesting, and it gives me something to do other than hockey. After hockey is over, it will be tough.

OK I am a SIOUX fan check my previous posts BUT I agree with UMhockey on this lets not assume Erik Johnson is a Moron all of us are jeolous of his hockey skills and you know it. I have heard him speak numerous times and he is a typical 18 year old. Lets not paint him as a moron because he is not. That being said I really love this quote. I am gald while he is a student athlete the U gives him more to do than just play hockey :)

Q: Have you stopped going to class?

A: Many times, I have been really close to stopping, but no, I am there pretty regularly. My classes are somewhat interesting, and it gives me something to do other than hockey. After hockey is over, it will be tough.

your kidding, right? we know the quote - but thanks - this is supposed to be an elite college hockey program and one does not talk about being unhappy with the the program one choose and makes public the plans on moving on before the season is complete == moron - perhaps, poor judgement - probably, hurts the team - oh most definately.

your kidding, right? we know the quote - but thanks - this is supposed to be an elite college hockey program and one does not talk about being unhappy with the the program one choses and plans on moving on after the year is over - moron - no - poor judgement - yes

I am going to agree with Siouxguyinstpaul, I wouldn't be too happy if I was the coach and I read this crap. It's like EJ thinks he is above the team and can do what ever he wants.

your kidding, right? we know the quote - but thanks - this is supposed to be an elite college hockey program and one does not talk about being unhappy with the the program one choose and makes public the plans on moving on before the season is complete == moron - perhaps, poor judgement - probably, hurts the team - oh most definately.

I was being very sarcastic when a said I love this quote. I cant beleive he would admit this. I think all athletes should take their opportunity to obtain an education even if it is only a years worth in his case. As far as him being a moron I am not kidding. I consider a moron someone who is just plain stupid. I dont think he is. I think is a selfish 18-year-old kid who has no street savvy yet. Who is about to be a millionaire and knows it. I think he is a BAD teammate. I hope he does leave and I hope he takes Wheeler and Okposo with him.

Let's also acknowledge they all get coaching on interviews (EJ, TJ, JT, etc etc).

That's true. For example, when I interviewed Toews after he returned from the World Juniors, I told him the he could drop as many F-bombs as he wanted because I'd just edit them out. :angry:

That's true. For example, when I interviewed Toews after he returned from the World Juniors, I told him the he could drop as many F-bombs as he wanted because I'd just edit them out. ;)

:angry:

Also, I've said this before, I wish EJ had picked UND. He is an incredible player and no doubt far smarter than this interview made him look.

I think EJ was too honest with Buccigross the first time around, read his words in the interview, said "Oh $%^&," talked to Lucia who coached him into issuing that retraction or "clarification statement" in a followup email.

EJ got burned for being honest. I hate it when that happens. As they say, often in the heat of the moment you can't infuse enough vague statements or total BS to cover for what you honestly feel and so the truth comes out with unexpected consequences.

This whole debate is assinine. Let it pass. The Gophers will be losing a number of players this offseasn and we will too. EJ will be among the defections. I wouldn't be surprised if Okposo and Wheeler left as well. UND will at least lose Toews and Oshie. Might lose Chorney.

I think EJ was too honest with Buccigross the first time around, read his words in the interview, said "Oh $%^&," talked to Lucia who coached him into issuing that retraction or "clarification statement" in a followup email.

EJ got burned for being honest. I hate it when that happens. As they say, often in the heat of the moment you can't infuse enough vague statements or total BS to cover for what you honestly feel and so the truth comes out with unexpected consequences.

I agree. I think it was just a case of EJ having some fun and not realizing how his words would look in public, how some people would interpret them and how some people would take them.

There are people a lot more experienced and more media savvy than EJ who make that mistake. Cut him some slack.

Recent experience with early departures shows that D-men have a much harder time adusting to the NHL than forwards do. Their mistakes are more glaring and can cost their teams games. Heck, Carle made a huge gaffe last night to cost San Jose the shutout. Luckily did not cost them the game, as it was a 7-1 laugher. He was Hobey winner last year and has even been sent to minors for "head" conditioning at one point this year. It is a huge adjustment for defensemen. Dion Phaneuf is a rare exception.

So, yes I expect Toews will be gone. Maybe Oshie, Okposo and Wheeler. Chorney could go, too. But reality is that D-men will get the most benefit from another year in the WCHA, so it would not surprise me if E. Johnson played at Minny another year. I think it would be to his overall benefit. Chorney is more NHL ready right now, as is Jack Johnson after playing another year at Michigan (remember, he too had a ton of hype last year as a Freshman). It may come down to if St. Louis is a real playoff contender with their roster for next year. If not, they could afford for Johnson play and to make his mistakes next year to be more prepared the year after. Might also come down to if he enjoys the academic side of college hockey.