SiouxSports.com Forum

BOYS' STATE HOCKEY SCHEDULE

Sports1

AYE AYE DAVE!

We need some SOUTH representation over here. I will say though that everyone should have stood up and cheered at the fact that SOUTH one it last year. They really deserevd it more than anyone in many years. I will agree that RR won and got it back. But don't put on domination in overall sports until you guys get a FB team, golf team, track team, swimming team. BB teams, cross country team, soccer team, wrestling team, and hockey team that competes year in and year out.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice post. Could you please tell me where those players are playing now? Thanks :D

Andy Dittus and Tyler Jundt are playing for the Green Bay Gamblers (USHL) Marc Mihulka and Marc Harrie are playing for the FM Jets (NAHL) and Alex Olson is playing for the Bismarck Bobcats (NAHL). Lane Smith is playing club hockey in San Diego. I'm not sure if any others from that team are still playing.

Andy Dittus and Tyler Jundt are playing for the Green Bay Gamblers (USHL) Marc Mihulka and Marc Harrie are playing for the FM Jets (NAHL) and Alex Olson is playing for the Bismarck Bobcats (NAHL). Lane Smith is playing club hockey in San Diego. I'm not sure if any others from that team are still playing.

Thanks for the post so the assumption of the East boys leading the Showcase team didnt lead to them playing at the next level. Interesting!! :D

Thanks for the post so the assumption of the East boys leading the Showcase team didnt lead to them playing at the next level. Interesting!! :D

Of course, as has already been stated, some of the Eastern players received bids to play at the next level before the Showcase tryouts and were consequently not eligible to try out for the team per Showcase rules. If you really want to make some sort of valid analytical conclusion about region of the state and the number of players going to juniors you would have to track kids from their sophomore, junior and senior years - not just senior, if you want the complete picture. For example, the Eastern kids who leave high school hockey early like Mario Lamoureux, as well as Western kids such as Jordan Willert, would have to be factored into the analysis. And then of course, you have western kids who leave the west to play in the East (Krebsbach, McBain, etc). Typically Eastern kids do not move to the West. All in all it is great that both parts of the state are represented at the next level.

Of course, as has already been stated, some of the Eastern players received bids to play at the next level before the Showcase tryouts and were consequently not eligible to try out for the team per Showcase rules. If you really want to make some sort of valid analytical conclusion about region of the state and the number of players going to juniors you would have to track kids from their sophomore, junior and senior years - not just senior, if you want the complete picture. For example, the Eastern kids who leave high school hockey early like Mario Lamoureux, as well as Western kids such as Jordan Willert, would have to be factored into the analysis. And then of course, you have western kids who leave the west to play in the East (Krebsbach, McBain, etc). Typically Eastern kids do not move to the West. All in all it is great that both parts of the state are represented at the next level.

It is my understanding that Brad Benke has intentions of trying to play hockey somewhere next year although he is a full time student at UND right now. Tony Kringstad is playing for the Quad City Express I believe, I am unsure but I believe that is a Jr. B team. It is also my understanding that Nick Klenow is only going to school part time and turned down an offer to play Jr. A hockey in Canada. I believe he will try to play next year. Paul Campbell attended the FM Jets open camp and decided that it was not for him. I am pretty sure there is a team somewhere that would have enjoyed his company. If there are any other players from that team that are currently still playing I apologize for not mentioning there names aswell. None of this is first hand information, so if I am wrong I would actually enjoy being corrected so I can get my information straight.

AYE AYE DAVE!

We need some SOUTH representation over here. I will say though that everyone should have stood up and cheered at the fact that SOUTH one it last year. They really deserevd it more than anyone in many years. I will agree that RR won and got it back. But don't put on domination in overall sports until you guys get a FB team, golf team, track team, swimming team. BB teams, cross country team, soccer team, wrestling team, and hockey team that competes year in and year out.

I believe that GFC won the 2005 State Football Championship over "The Best High School in North Dakota" and I think 39-29 was the final score. I have that game on videotape and I will never erase it. And it couldn't have happened to a better person than Mike Berg. The Knights were down in 2006, but I think they will be back in 2007.

Red River is very competitive in tennis, volleyball and golf. Central has had some very good track teams and has had some good wrestling teams over the years. I think Central has also won State Championships in boy's soccer.

Basketball has always been somewhat weak in Grand Forks for both schools; the West Region seems to dominate in both boys and girls (Mandan has won the last four state girls titles). But I remember the 1995 State boy's basketball title that GFC won over an unbeaten Minot team (led by Brooks Bollinger, among others). Red River also had some very good girls basketball teams in the early 1990's.

Yes, South has a lot of good athletes and they work as hard as anyone else to win. My problem with FSH fans is that they think athletics in this state revolves around them and it's a tiresome attitude if you aren't a Bruins fan. It isn't an anti-Fargo thing (I have no problem with Fargo North, Fargo Shanley or West Fargo); it's this whole "We're the best High School in North Dakota" attitude. There are a lot of schools that have a lot of proud traditions in different sports (GFC and GFRR in hockey, Mandan in girls basketball, Fargo South in football, etc.). But you wouldn't know it by listening to Bruins fans. On Friday night, I was cheering for Grafton-PR against Fargo South. And I have never liked the Spoilers. Ever. That should tell you my feelings towards Fargo South High School.

End rant.

Way to win with class, guys. :D

The title "belongs" in the city of whatever team last won it. See, this is the kind of crap that irritates me about some Red River and Central hockey fans. It's that attitude of entitlement.

DaveK,

You have a lot of nerve talking about an "attitude of entitlement" from Grand Forks fans. Fargo South seems to have an attitude of entitlement in every sport.

The Grand Forks schools (except for Central this year) are very good in hockey. Fargo schools are very good in football. Bismarck and Minot seem to have the best basketball in the state.

Hockey has become much more competitive in North Dakota and that's good. It is not good for the sport to have one school win the title every year (Central won the first 13 state titles). There are more programs and more kids participating. And I am glad Fargo is finally starting to take hockey seriously by building a new arena complex. But I get sick and tired of Fargo South fans coming on this forum and talking like their hockey program is the greatest thing since sliced bread and that no one else is even close (I know I am paraphrasing, but that is the tone of the comments). South has won three state titles total (1994, 1999 and 2006) and finished runner-up several other times. Grand Forks Red River, by comparison (which opened around the same time as FSH), just finished winning their 13th State Championship. South has a long way to go to match the tradition of Grand Forks Red River (or Central for that matter). Yes, FSH has built a good program and they deserve credit for that. But that doesn't mean the sport revolves around FSH. I enjoy it when the Bruins lose and I am not sorry to admit it.

End rant.

I dont remember the last time a Central team has won a state soccer tournament, but I think every school in the state likes to see south lose...

It is not that big of a deal but just for the record Central has never won a state championship in Soccer. In fact, from 1995 to 2005 they have only been in the state tournament once (1999) and did not place in the top 6. Red River won a state soccer title in 2002 and again in 2005. This year (2006) Central did make it to state and had their highest finish (2nd). Historically they have had one of the weaker programs in the state.

soccer? who cares about soccer? never ever will that be on tv.

Well, the soccer topic was raised on this board so I just provided some information. Soccer is the fastest growing sport in the youth sports market. Soccer is an excellent conditioning activity for hockey and shares many of the same characteristics - creative play, quickness, 2 v 1, 3 v 2 combinations, etc. Many European players have used soccer as an excellent cross-training experience. Soccer may not be on TV in North Dakota but it already is in other states. It is a well known fact, among competent hockey coaches and trainers, that soccer has a lot to offer as a complementary sport. In summary, if you are interested in hockey development you should consider soccer as a sport.

wouldnt be cought dead in one.

Probably because your not a good enough athlete to play in one. I would be willing to bet that at one point in time 70% of the hockey players that come out of North Dakota have played organized youth soccer. Soccer is on TV in North Dakota.

It is not as prevelant in High School soccer as it is in a premier soccer league, but the game is anything but that for the "danty". Anyone who has seen a competitive game knows that.

I have never seen a UND or NDSU soccer game on tv nor a high school game.

Neither have I. The only sports you see on TV that are UND or NDSU would be the major sports. Soccer is not a major sport on those campuses. High school soccer games have been televised in other states where the sport is more developed. Actually, though I think there have been a couple of high school games on local access TV in North Dakota. If you don't like the sport that's fine - no need to bash it. Plenty of great hockey players have participated in the game including a number of Mr. Hockey winners in North Dakota as well as a number of North Dakota high school players who have gone on to play D-I hockey.

No need to try and demean kids from your own area (I assume you are from Grand Forks) who have played the game and have been successful in hockey.

Just as a sampling, Jacques Lamoureux played soccer for Central, McIntyre, and Irmen (Red River) also played. Brian Lee of the Sioux played youth soccer. There are many more (e.g. Ryan Kraft, etc).

Way to win with class, guys. :D

The title "belongs" in the city of whatever team last won it. See, this is the kind of crap that irritates me about some Red River and Central hockey fans. It's that attitude of entitlement.

I want to apoligize on behalf of all of the Red-River fans/players/ and alumini for the actions of some of the boys on this discussion board. This isn't how most of us think, these are just a few of the "bad eggs". These two obviously never played at red-river and they are just trying to make my alma mater look bad. I apoligize once again for their actions.

Probably because your not a good enough athlete to play in one. I would be willing to bet that at one point in time 70% of the hockey players that come out of North Dakota have played organized youth soccer. Soccer is on TV in North Dakota.

It is not as prevelant in High School soccer as it is in a premier soccer league, but the game is anything but that for the "danty". Anyone who has seen a competitive game knows that.

I am a soccer guy who went right from the pitch to the ice, and it was the best thing I could have done to help me for hockey. I never really understood why soccer gets such a bad rap. Like you said, it takes great athletes to run constantly for 80 to 90 minutes, and although most people hate soccer for its so called lack of physical play, take a tackle to the ankle, or take an elbow to the head during a corner kick....and tell me it isn't physical. Playing goalkeeper I once broke four ribs, punctured a lung, and bruised my spleen which caused internal bleeding.

I want to apoligize on behalf of all of the Red-River fans/players/ and alumini for the actions of some of the boys on this discussion board. This isn't how most of us think, these are just a few of the "bad eggs". These two obviously never played at red-river and they are just trying to make my alma mater look bad. I apoligize once again for their actions.

RR fans/players/alumni should feel privileged to have you as a spokesman.

Nice post. I appreciate your comments, and apologize if you may have gotten the impression that I was lashing out at everybody who supports the Red River and/or Central hockey programs. I understand the few bad apples do not represent the vast majority, which is why I used the word "some" when referring to the fans expressing the attitude of entitlement. To the decent fans such as yourself who do not lower themselves to spewing hatred towards the coaches and players of other teams, I would like to say congratulations on a great season. It came down to a great game between two great teams, and the better team won. Based on the number of seniors on the Bruins and the number of juniors on the Riders, at this time I would have to consider the Riders to be the odds-on favorite to win again next year. Having said that, I'm quite confident both programs will continue to win championships in the future. I sincerely believe that Red River and South are now the two programs that you can count on to be among the top 3 or 4 teams in the state every year, just as Red River and Central used to be. It is becoming a great rivalry, with one of the two if not both being in the title game almost every year and each team having a turn winning the championship. Red River/South is to this generation what Red River/Central was to the previous generation. Two great programs and no hard feelings on my part towards anybody involved with the Red River hockey program. The only hard feelings I have are towards a small group of individuals who decided to come on here following the game and express hatred towards the South team. Once again I would like to say to "Lives-to-play-hockey-06", thank you for showing class on behalf of the team you support and congratulations to them on a great season.

DaveK we have had our share of differences in the past but your post above is absolutly dead on. It is great to see other ND schools improvement in hockey as it will only make North Dakota hockey that much better. Wilson used to be my coach a long time ago at Red River and he was a great coach so it is nice to see him being successful at FS.

Will the FS goalie play beyond HS? - I remember reading his story last year and thought that he sounded like a real class act. In fact, I was very happy to see FS win it last year due to his circumstances.

DaveK we have had our share of differences in the past but your post above is absolutly dead on. It is great to see other ND schools improvement in hockey as it will only make North Dakota hockey that much better. Wilson used to be my coach a long time ago at Red River and he was a great coach so it is nice to see him being successful at FS.

Will the FS goalie play beyond HS? - I remember reading his story last year and thought that he sounded like a real class act. In fact, I was very happy to see FS win it last year due to his circumstances.

I have seen posts out here about "Wilson's pompous ass", etc. I played against Wilson in HS and originally felt the same way - before I got to know him. However, in the past few years I've had the chance to get to know Wilson and I can say that he's a great guy, truly cares for his players, and is a good coach. I'm not trying to sway anyone's opinion out here...you can think what you want. I'm just telling you what I know.