NDSU VB 4412

NDSU Wrestling

UND Football 52963

UND MBB 23754

UND WBB 26501

UND VB 3968

UND Hockey 191594

UND WH 4943

With (hopefully) probably four more hockey games and women's BB playoffs, UND attendance will practically triple NDSU's.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if you took the total attendance for all sports for each school and divided by the total number of events?

Interesting comparison. Here are my statistics, and I added soccer which star2city didn't have in his numbers. Every sport which publishes attendance was included, except wrestling, which curiously doesn't provide that info. No guarantees of mistake free, but they should be correct.

UND

Games Total Attend Avg Attend per contest

Men's Basketball - 11 23754 2160

Women's Basketball - 13 26501 2039

Football - 6 52,963 8827

Men's Hockey - 17 191594 11270

Women's Hockey - 16 4943 309

Soccer - 10 1790 179

Volleyball - 12 3968 331

Totals - 85 305,513 3594

NDSU

Men's basketball - 10 25510 2551

Women's Basketball - 10 14581 1458

Football - 5 81866 16,377

Soccer - 6 1054 176

Volleyball - 6 4412 735

Totals - 37 127,423 3444

EDIT: Sorry about this fine graph work that appears. Between me hitting the "post" icon and it appearing in the thread the actual form goes to Hell.

UND's avg per contest is better, and that is without any published wrestling attendance figures, which would also severely hamper NDSU's average. ONe would assume that NDSU's avg/game would rise slightly after the completion of the winter sports considering the Jackrabbit men still have to visit Fargo, and the UND figures should also rise slightly as well with 2 home hockey games left.

2006-7 Attendance to Date

NDSU Football 81886

NDSU Men's BB 25510

NDSU WBB 14581

NDSU VB 4412

NDSU Wrestling

UND Football 52963

UND MBB 23754

UND WBB 26501

UND VB 3968

UND Hockey 191594

UND WH 4943

With (hopefully) probably four more hockey games and women's BB playoffs, UND attendance will practically triple NDSU's.

How ridiculous is that arguement, for one your including a sport for which we don't sponsor. Secondly I wouldn't be so quick to add a sport win which when mens and womens figures are combined your losing money.

How ridiculous is that arguement, for one your including a sport for which we don't sponsor. Secondly I wouldn't be so quick to add a sport win which when mens and womens figures are combined your losing money.

Make sure you chastise MplsBison as well...he started it with this statement:

What if you took the total attendance for all sports for each school and divided by the total number of events?

How ridiculous is that arguement, for one your including a sport for which we don't sponsor.

Not ridiculous at all when you consider what "Corella" was responding to, namely (emphasis added):

Secondly I wouldn't be so quick to add a sport win which when mens and womens figures are combined your losing money.

You need to wheel out the numbers to back up that assertion.

My numbers say "Total Revenues of all Sports, except football and basketball, combined" (men and women combined) exceed "Total Expenses of all Sports, except football and basketball, combined" (men and women combined).

Given that the vast majority of the revenue is mens hockey (11000+ fans per game for 20+ games) and a non-insignificant part of the expenses has to be all of the other teams (swimming and diving, baseball, softball, tennis, soccer, volleyball, golf, track, cross-country) I'd say I have a basis to be skeptical (disbelieve?) your assertion until you prove it.

HAHAHAHA, Sioux hockey sells more tickets than all NDSU sports combine. After four more games almost double the tickets NDSU sells.

I guess the AG school needs to host more of those old fashion Tractor pulls, At least their ticket sales would pick up. :D

The bottom line is you need to get your attendance for football up significantly to help fund the DI move......that was my only point before all this sioux fan whining took off..........Geez..... :ohmy:

Even selling out the Alerus is not going to bring in anywhere near the type of funding that will propel a DI move. At most $250,000 will be gained, more likely $150,000. For that matter, NDSU's football attendance is not the big revenue driver that some of its fans claim it is. NDSU's boosts in revenue seem to be coming from Teammakers and private donations, as any football revenue increases seems to be offset by basketball attendance declines, at least in past years. Having one game against a IA BCS opponent will potentially be worth more than an season of Alerus sellouts.

And of course the Bison fans are going to do nothing but praise the Great West conference since they have always said what an unbelievable conference it is. The Sioux and USD will be better football teams entering the conference than NDSU and SDSU were when they entered the Great West. AT least we won't have to worry about Bison fans bad mouthing the Great West.

And of course the Bison fans are going to do nothing but praise the Great West conference since they have always said what an unbelievable conference it is. The Sioux and USD will be better football teams entering the conference than NDSU and SDSU were when they entered the Great West. AT least we won't have to worry about Bison fans bad mouthing the Great West.

I wouldn't be so sure about that...

Even selling out the Alerus is not going to bring in anywhere near the type of funding that will propel a DI move. At most $250,000 will be gained, more likely $150,000. For that matter, NDSU's football attendance is not the big revenue driver that some of its fans claim it is. NDSU's boosts in revenue seem to be coming from Teammakers and private donations, as any football revenue increases seems to be offset by basketball attendance declines, at least in past years. Having one game against a IA BCS opponent will potentially be worth more than an season of Alerus sellouts.

I have no doubt that the UND attendance will go up as better teams come to play in Grand Forks. If I were the UND AD I would be on the phone to the Griz and and go play them in Missoula. That would start generating a lot of interest....especially if you beat them (a lot of fun because it upsets the Griz fans so much!). I wouldn't try and get a home and home or a 2 away for 1 home with the Griz as they will probably just execute the buyout so they wouldn't have to play an away game.

I also think the size of the indoor arenas in both Fargo and Grand Forks may get to be an issue. The way things are going capacity will get reached and then there is the big problem that it is almost impossible to expand the seating of either.

FBS games will be a big factor in increasing funding as is the private donations and an active booster club. But, the more butts you can get in the seats on Saturday, the more buzz a program will generate.

This won't help. http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/156697

2008 will be a lean year.

With all of the scheduling problems that NDSU had the first couple of years in the transition did football attendance go up or down?

2003 11,567

2004 13,269

2005 14,160

Hmmm,

So why are you so sure that 2008 will be a lean year for UND? Could it be because you just plain hate UND and a lean year is what you want for UND? :ohmy:

With all of the scheduling problems that NDSU had the first couple of years in the transition did football attendance go up or down?

2003 11,567

2004 13,269

2005 14,160

Hmmm,

So why are you so sure that 2008 will be a lean year for UND? Could it be because you just plain hate UND and a lean year is what you want for UND? :ohmy:

You will have no conference for 2008 but it will depend on how good of scheduling you do for 2008. Something you will find out (scheduling) is not easy as an independent and sometimes requires paying teams alot of money for a home game.

The bottom line is you need to get your attendance for football up significantly to help fund the DI move......that was my only point before all this sioux fan whining took off..........Geez..... :ohmy:

I don't see football being a huge revenue positive at either UND or NDSU right now. As a matter of fact, it appears, the way OPE has it reported, both are losing money with football. I'll leave the "how OPE has it reported" arguments to the local forensic accountants to dispute. (See Dept of Education data.)

But yes, I want a full Alerus Center because that is better than a 2/3 full Alerus Center.

Two quick comments. First, you are correct about Team Makers being a bigger factor than the attendance numbers, but remember that the two are linked. Larger attendance usually means more season ticket sales and that generally means more money to the booster club. The increase in attendance becomes a double boon. Second, the decline in basketball attendance has not been as bad as it appears. Moving from doubleheaders to individual games has cut reported attendance but probably has increased, or held constant, the gate receipts.

2003 11,567

2004 13,269

2005 14,160

Hmmm,

If you want attendance to go up during your first years of DI, I recommend you tell Coach Lennon to go 2-8 next year then recover after that. It seems to work.

What I'm really saying is that I think the 2002-2004 attendance rise had less to do with the transition than it did the excitement of Bohl and the recovery of the NDSU tradition. I think the 2005 and beyond numbers have been helped by DI, though.