SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs Bulldogs

AZSIOUX

This team needs to grow up and play a full and complete game of hockey every time it steps onto the ice.

No matter the score; no matter the opponent.

Every game; every period; every shift: Full effort.

The total fiasco that was the second and third v. MSU-Mankato on Saturday is unacceptable. The Fighting Sioux got fat, happy, and satisfied with a three goal lead. And to compound it they started playing lazy (the feet quit moving) and stupid (late, unnecessary penalties). That is not Fighting Sioux hockey.

Boys, you have one and only one game of hockey to worry about:

Friday, February 16, v. Minnesota-Duluth.

Full effort.

Every shift.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweep all the way. The Sioux have netted 12 goals each of the past two weekends and will be going up against the team with the weakest goaltending in the WCHA. The DOT line should pad their stats big time in this one.

I am thinking the same thing. UMD has not done well in the Net this year. I think maybe a game for Mr. Grieco as well this weekend.

This team needs to grow up and play a full and complete game of hockey every time it steps onto the ice.

The total fiasco that was the second and third v. MSU-Mankato on Saturday is unacceptable. The Fighting Sioux got fat, happy, and satisfied with a three goal lead. And to compound it they started playing lazy (the feet quit moving) and stupid (late, unnecessary penalties). That is not Fighting Sioux hockey.

Full effort.

Every shift.

That is the way I see it too.

Full effort.

Every shift.

:angry::sad: i love it when the word unacceptable is used, just funny. thats all.......

and yes we need to play full 60 minutes vs duluth, raymond is a flat out player and if we take our usual penalties it will make it that much tougher

Duluth scores a lot, especially on the PP, and if the Sioux aren't at the top of their game, they can get beat easily by MDU. If Duluth ends up last, they could step up and bite someone in the WCHA playoffs, like they did last year. MN would be a tough test for them, but an upset wouldn't be surprising. I'd like to see Duluth finish a bit higher and go to either Denver or CC, where an upset would be more likely than at MN. Finishing higher, however, can't include any points this weekend vs. the Sioux.

Yes, and streaks come to an end. Sooner or later the Dogs are going to bite the Sioux. Can't have it this weekend, though. We gave away a point to Mankato, we have to be selfish against Duluth.

its phil's team and he has sure risen to the occasion lately. he has been great overall in the last 12 games and if he keeps it up we have a great shot at making another 2nd half NC$$ run!!

I agree but his play has slipped this past weekend and I think a wake up call was issued on Saturday.

Yes, and streaks come to an end. Sooner or later the Dogs are going to bite the Sioux. Can't have it this weekend, though. We gave away a point to Mankato, we have to be selfish against Duluth.

I agree. The point we gave to Mankato wouldn't hurt so much if we also hadn't given points to UAA, MTU and Wisconsin, all teams below UND in the standings. We can't afford to be doing that any more.

I agree. The point we gave to Mankato wouldn't hurt so much if we also hadn't given points to UAA, MTU and Wisconsin, all teams below UND in the standings. We can't afford to be doing that any more.

of course, they are below us cause we got 10 million times better, and they stayed as bad or got worse. Like someone said in another thread, tieing MSU was key for TUC stuff. now we jsut have to cheer for the land cows the rest of the season to help us out.

I agree but his play has slipped this past weekend and I think a wake up call was issued on Saturday.

Phil's play did not slip this weekend...How did it slip? None of Friday's goals were his fault. The first goal on Saturday is the only one that I feel he would like back and that was still a pretty good shot I felt by Berge. Other than that, giving up 3 power play goals(basically) on Saturday is not a direct fault of his. It's a fault of the team. Genoway was to blame on the 2nd one by getting caught being too aggressive, and on the 3rd and 4th goals, we needed to win a face-off. If we can somehow manage to win a face-off with 12 seconds to go in the game on Saturday, that game is virtually over. We lost all the important face-offs at the end of that game.

i am curious if maybe the dogs will give ziggy the chance to play in front of his hometown. I agree that this will be a sweep for the sioux.

No, he won't play. He's played one period all year and that was in an exhibition game. Stalock and Johnson will split the goaltending duties. Neither is as bad as the statistics show - much of the blame belongs on tUMD's team defense - it is TERRIBLE. Most goals come on odd-man rushes. tUMD has given up 7 shorties this year I believe. I'm scared that the Sioux forwards may make the Dog defencemen look like traffic cones this weekend. The games shouldn't be close, but tUMD shouldn't have beat Denver last time out either and Mankato had no business tying last Saturday. You never know what will happen in the WCHA, but UND beating tUMD has been a virtual lock in the past few years.

Phil's play did not slip this weekend...How did it slip? None of Friday's goals were his fault. The first goal on Saturday is the only one that I feel he would like back and that was still a pretty good shot I felt by Berge. Other than that, giving up 3 power play goals(basically) on Saturday is not a direct fault of his. It's a fault of the team. Genoway was to blame on the 2nd one by getting caught being too aggressive, and on the 3rd and 4th goals, we needed to win a face-off. If we can somehow manage to win a face-off with 12 seconds to go in the game on Saturday, that game is virtually over. We lost all the important face-offs at the end of that game.

um, I agree with you except that the one goal on Friday that he directed in with his arm was kinda his fault. An accident that could happen to anyone, but still sorta his fault. I don't think his play slipped however, just like I think that Brian is not a bad player, just one that needs to grow a little bit as a player.

No, he won't play. He's played one period all year and that was in an exhibition game. Stalock and Johnson will split the goaltending duties. Neither is as bad as the statistics show - much of the blame belongs on tUMD's team defense - it is TERRIBLE. Most goals come on odd-man rushes. tUMD has given up 7 shorties this year I believe. I'm scared that the Sioux forwards may make the Dog defencemen look like traffic cones this weekend. The games shouldn't be close, but tUMD shouldn't have beat Denver last time out either and Mankato had no business tying last Saturday. You never know what will happen in the WCHA, but UND beating tUMD has been a virtual lock in the past few years.

I think we are splitting hairs here, defense is bad but goalie isn't, however, goalies are only saving at a .881 clip (Stalock) and a 885 Johnson. Sounds like a combination of bad goaltending and not so good defense. Either way I like our chances against the UMD bull dogs.

um, I agree with you except that the one goal on Friday that he directed in with his arm was kinda his fault. An accident that could happen to anyone, but still sorta his fault. I don't think his play slipped however, just like I think that Brian is not a bad player, just one that needs to grow a little bit as a player.

There were a couple of week goals where Phil was sitting too far back in the paint, first one that comes to mind is Saturday night goal number one. Again people relax, face it not everyone is a Phil fan nor do we have to be to be a Sioux fan (there are a lot of people out there that are not fans of him) nor will I ever be, way too emotional for a goaltender, as far as I am concerned. I will give Phil this he is better than Sievebieda.

Wow...nothing was lammys fault this weekend...what are you people smoking? gimme some! Friday was a solid game by all and saturday was a let up of the entire team, except lammy. It was awful to watch them stop skating. They must have had a rough night friday night after the game I guess.

And Ill give Toews the benefit of the doubt, he played hard all weekend.

I think we are splitting hairs here, defense is bad but goalie isn't, however, goalies are only saving at a .875 clip (Stalock). Sounds like goaltending to me.

As I said in my intial post, most goals are coming on 2-1s or breakaways. They can't be expected to stop all of those. I didn't say they were great. They've been flat out getting beat but not letting in terrible goals for being out of position. But I'm sure you've seen a bunch of tUMD games this season so don't take my word for it.

Nevermind, I see Goon is hard on all goalies - even his own team's! :sad::angry:

I give the dogs an edge on the PP but they give it right back on the penalty kill. We have the edge even strength.

Friday

UND 5-3

Saturday

UND wins 6-4 ENG

We're going to give up scoring chances to the bulldogs with a combination of defensive lapses and a couple sieve goals. We should win but I would be surprised to see a large margin of victory either night.