SiouxSports.com Forum

2003 Football Schedules

star2city

While still awaiting UND's schedule for the fall, former NCC member UNC issued their schedule. There are only four I-AA schools that they will play, all away. Overall, their schedule is probably weaker than last years, as they play such powerhouses as NMex Highlands, W Wash, and Western St. Apparently, scheduling as a I-AA football independent is not all that easy.

Opponent - Location

New Mexico Highlands - Greeley, Colo.

Western State - Gunnison, Colo.

Idaho St - Pocatello, Idaho

Minnesota State, Mankato - Greeley, Colo.

Montana St - Bozeman, Mont.

Western Washington - Greeley, Colo.

Florida Atlantic - Away - TBA

Adams St - Greeley, Colo.

Southern Utah - Cedar City, Utah

Augustana (S.D.) - Greeley, Colo.

UC-Davis - Davis, Calif.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is NDSU's:

Date

Opponent

Time/Results

08/30/2003

TUSCULUM

FARGO

7:00 pm

09/06/2003

Montana

Missoula, MT

1:05 pm

09/13/2003

CALIFORNIA-DAVIS

FARGO

09/20/2003

OPEN DATE

09/27/2003

SOUTH DAKOTA STATE

FARGO

10/04/2003

Minnesota State-Mankato

Mankato, MN

TBA

10/11/2003

NEBRASKA-OMAHA

FARGO

1:00 pm

10/18/2003

North Dakota

Grand Forks, ND

TBA

10/25/2003

Augustana

Sioux Falls, SD

TBA

11/01/2003

SOUTH DAKOTA

FARGO

1:00 pm

11/08/2003

St. Cloud State

St. Cloud, MN

TBA

11/15/2003

OPEN DATE

stars: Getting strong DIIs to play games at UND (or NDSU for that matter) was difficult. Ask Roger Thomas about trying to get Carson-Newman to come in for a game sometime.

Most IAAs want to be home (for the gate) or, if they go on the road, go for a major payday (even if it is a bodybag game). You can't blame them. It's all about the Benjamins.

I would suspect that after this year UNC and Cal Davis will probably be regulars on the NDSU sched. as each school looks for D1AA competition. It will be interesting to see who new will appear on the NDSU schedule. I would guess that the worse NDSU is the easier it will be to get games. If the Bison happen to get a real tough team early on it would not help the scheduling out at all.

While still awaiting UND's schedule for the fall, former NCC member UNC issued their schedule. There are only four I-AA schools that they will play, all away. Overall, their schedule is probably weaker than last years, as they play such powerhouses as NMex Highlands, W Wash, and Western St. Apparently, scheduling as a I-AA football independent is not all that easy.

Opponent - Location

New Mexico Highlands - Greeley, Colo.

Western State - Gunnison, Colo.

Idaho St - Pocatello, Idaho

Minnesota State, Mankato - Greeley, Colo.

Montana St - Bozeman, Mont.

Western Washington - Greeley, Colo.

Florida Atlantic - Away - TBA

Adams St - Greeley, Colo.

Southern Utah - Cedar City, Utah

Augustana (S.D.) - Greeley, Colo.

UC-Davis - Davis, Calif.

Yikes! ;)

So the others on the list are D2?

So does this mean in four years they will be able to play in the play off's?

Since not all teams are D1aa won't this hurt their chance?

Bison Kent help us out here.

So does this mean in four years they will be able to play in the play off's?

Since not all teams are D1aa won't this hurt their chance?

Bison Kent help us out here.

Though you didn't ask me...

My understanding was that next year (2003-04) is UNC's provisional year. It is supposed to intentionally include a mix of D-IAA and D-II opponents. Their first year for D-IAA tournament eligibility would then be 2007-08 (at one point the UNC FAQ on that issue stated that eligibility would begin in 2008-09, so apparently they were confused, too).

I am not sure how UNC is getting away with it. I thought (by the NDSU I-AA Carr Report) that the team was to play a majority of Division I teams at the start of the four year probabitionary period (last year was their exploritory year). This would mean 4-5 games could be against D2 teams but the remainder would be I-AA or I-A teams. I am not sure that they are being compliant to the I-AA rules but I could be wrong.

I think the "exploratory" year takes into account a current conference affiliation. Maybe the NCAA likes to see a team play the majority of it's non-conference schedule at the IAA level. NDSU only has two IAA schools on the "exploratory" year schedule.

Help me out here. Do I have these correct?

New Mexico Highlands: DII

Western State: DII

Idaho St: DIAA

Minnesota State, Mankato: DII

Montana St: DIAA

Western Washington: DII

Florida Atlantic: DIAA

Adams St: DII

Southern Utah: DIAA (just starting their transition)

Augustana (S.D.): DII

UC-Davis: DIAA (just starting their transition?, or still DII)

They are playing three established IAAs and two teams just starting to transition just like themselves, correct?

Sicatoka,

As WyoBisonman stated, you are correct on the DI-AA, DII lists, but I think Southern Utah has been AA for awhile. Also, I'm pretty sure last year was UNC's provisionary year. I guess I'm just as confused as everyone else, I thought UNC would have to play a full slate I-AA teams this year.

Didn't UNC have issues with the NCC because of travel to far away places like ND, SD, and MN. So WA, CA, and FL is better? A travel comparison (miles, costs, payments if any) would be interesting.

UNC is still making a trip to MN and SD this year, so it's even more confusing. UC-Davis will be DIAA in 2003, but their schedule resembled a DIAA schedule when they were D2.

I do not know that there are any restrictions on your schedule for I-AA. It is required to have a I-AA minimum schedule two years prior to be qualified for a championship. UNC does not qualify for a championship until the five year period is over. So probably by the third year they should have a I-AA schedule. Does anyone else have additional information?

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the 2003 UND football schedule:

Date Opponent Time/Result

Sep 6 MINNESOTA-CROOKSTON TBA

Sep 13 at Mesa State College (Grand Junction, Colo.)

Sep 20 NEWBERRY COLLEGE TBA

Sep 27 AUGUSTANA COLLEGE * (HOMECOMING) TBA

Oct 4 ST. CLOUD STATE * TBA

Oct 11 at South Dakota State * (Brookings, S.D.) TBA

Oct 18 NORTH DAKOTA STATE * TBA

Oct 25 at MSU-Mankato * (Mankato, Minn.) TBA

Nov 1 NEBRASKA-OMAHA * TBA

Nov 8 at South Dakota * (Vermillion, S.D.) 1 p.m.

Nov 22 vs. NCAA Division II Playoffs (First Round) TBA

Nov 29 vs. NCAA Division II Quarterfinals TBA

Dec 6 vs. NCAA Division II Semi-finals TBA

Dec 13 vs. NCAA Division II Championship Game (Florence, AL) TBA

All home games denoted in bold CAPS

I certainly can't say I'm excited about any of the non-conference games, or the fact that it's apparently only going to be a 10-game schedule.

What kind of schedule is this? No team on the schedule made any playoffs last year. Newberry was a 1-10 team. Minn-Crookston was also 1-10. Mesa State had a record of 5-6. If UND doesn't win by 4 touchdowns in each of these games, I would call each game a loss. I guess scheduling tough non-conference teams is a thing of the past for UND. No more Central Washington's that might upset the Sioux at home. Only pansies from now on.

Let's look at NDSU's non-conference schedule. Tusculum finished 7-4 and is considered to be a front runner in the South Atlantic Conference in DII. Next comes the two time I-AA champion, Montana, a team that made it to the quarterfinals of the I-AA playoffs last year. And if that is not enough, we next have Cal-Davis, a DII semi-finalist from last year who is the first year of I-AA action.

If UND and NDSU finish with identical records in the conference, who do you think the playoff committee is going to pick?

If UND and NDSU finish with identical records in the conference, who do you think the playoff committee is going to pick?

Probably whichever team wins the head-to-head matchup, don't you think?

I don't think any Sioux fan is going to be making the case that this is a good non-conference schedule. It isn't. But in the end, it's the conference schedule that makes or breaks the season. If NDSU loses to UND again, the fact that NDSU played a better non-conference schedule will be pretty small consolation.

In defense of UND, they did play Mesa last year, and it looks to be a home/home. Newberry, on the other hand, is a mystery. I don't understand why they would want to schedule another 1-10 team. Maybe UND will use their non-conf. schedule to plead to these schools not to reduce scholarships. How much fun would DII be if UND couldn't beat up on some bottom-feeders every year? UM-Crookston should be able to put up a fight this year. All 40 plus of the freshman on the team will be sophmores this year. ;) The six team regional selection should be interesting this year. Six is divisible by 3. Two teams from the NCC,MIAA, and NSIC would be the easy way out for the NCAA. :)

BK, Nice of you to point this out. :D However remember the NC$$ does look at w's and l's.

Besides why would NDSU care since they soon will be D1aa?Why would you want to brag about a little D2 title when we all know it would be a slap in the face for a future powerhouse D1 program? :D

I suppose you could argue the point that D2 is is dying yadda,yadda, watered down yadda,yadda."should"you win any D2 titles.Am I correct? :)

I will agree with one point. Crookston are you kidding me?UND is going to charge me for watching this game.(should I go)RT c'mon,this would be like playing a MAAC hockey team. :D

I will agree with one point. Crookston are you kidding me?UND is going to charge me for watching this game.(should I go)RT c'mon,this would be like playing a MAAC  hockey team. :D

I really have no idea why this series is continuing. UND obviously has nothing to gain because the previous UMC games have all been extremely lopsided, and Crookston has little to gain because, well, the games have all been extremely lopsided. I understand the difficulty of scheduling decent non-conference opponents without having to shell out big bucks, but I would have to assume that at a minimum, you can get one or more home-and-home series with decent opponents. Please, Roger, no more UMC games after this year! Nobody wants to see this game!

But with all that having been said, UND does still have the best home conference schedule in the NCC so hopefully the Sioux can take advantage of it. Considering last year's record, I imagine the Sioux will be picked in the middle of the pack in the NCC, but I honestly think that UND can win the league if the defense is a little more consistent and Bowenkamp makes good decisions. The talent is there, and the team should have sufficient motivation after last year's disappointing performance.

I agree the talent level is declining in DII but there are still some good teams. I will give you Mesa State as an average opponent. The other two are bottom feeders though. If UND would get a descent 11th game, I think this would really help out their playoff possibilities. Quality of opponents might mean a trip to the playoffs. Look at St. Cloud last year. They finished 9-2 and second in the NCC and didn't get invited. They played three under .500 non-conference teams last year. This year, St. Cloud is playing Pitt. State because of this.

With Northern Colorado out of the conference, I think St. Cloud has to be considered the front runner to begin the season with Neb-Omaha, UND, and NDSU picked after (in no particular order).