SiouxSports.com Forum

Wisconsin Decision

Matt

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that campus was a bit too liberal to stick with their original statement. www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/155049

I thought the same thing, but I would have assumed that Barta was making informed statements and not just using his own opinion in this matter. Here is the link to the Herald story.Wisconsin says no, after all. Your link doesn't jive, Matt.

But Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin will play the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, or the Idaho Vandals, or the San Diego State Aztecs, and even the Oklahoma Sooners (and a Sooner is someone who stole Indian lands "sooner" than it was legal to).

Hypocrits. H-Y, P-O, C-R-I-T-S. Hypocrits.

Anyone who has ever been to Madison would realize this is not a surprise. I would have been shocked had they allowed scheduling in sports other than hockey.

The reality is that the two DI schools Sioux fans would want to see the most, and would be the most willing and able to travel to, will not schedule us. It's not fatal to a DI move, but IMO, it will certainly inhibit fan involvement and excitement.

Anyone who has ever been to Madison would realize this is not a surprise. I would have been shocked had they allowed scheduling in sports other than hockey.

The reality is that the two DI schools Sioux fans would want to see the most, and would be the most willing and able to travel to, will not schedule us. It's not fatal to a DI move, but IMO, it will certainly inhibit fan involvement and excitement.

Having the three closest Big 10 schools (Iowa being the third) not be willing to play UND is a kick in the teeth, no question about it, especially given UND has connections to all three which would have made basketball and possibly even occasional football games a very real possibility.

Here is some questions for you all.

How many more D1 team will not play UND?

Is the lists going to grow so much that it kills a D1 move?

How hard is it going to be to find a conference with our nickname?

At what point is it smart to keep our name?

What if the NCAA gets the votes and passes the measure?

How much more bad press can UND take?

At what point do you even want to be called the Fighting Sioux?

The reason i ask is that my family is diehard Fighting Sioux fans. My parents have worked at the U for over 25 years. At the start of the name ban the whole family wanted to fight till the death over the name. As time has gone by most are sick if the name fight, "there is no honor left in the name" one family member said. Flickertails sounds better every day. At least when the Sioux win there 8th National title there will not be a side note of how racist the people in North Dakota are......

Please don't slam me, these are real questions long time sioux fans ask. I would love to keep the name, but there is a limit people can take.

I guess I don't see this as such a death blow. As a kid growing up in western North Dakota, I associated more with the Big Eight/12 Schools, so I would love to see schools like Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado or Iowa State on the schedule. And for basketball, Kansas is certainly a more exciting option than any Big 10 school other than the 2 that we played exhibition games against this year. There is a lot less arrogance and elitism from the Big 12 despite posessing schools that are every bit the equal athletically and academically.

Here is some questions for you all.

I point you to my response here.

I'll play along for kicks and giggles.

Right now, the list of schools that will potentially play UND is considerably longer than the list that won't. Do we want a few politically correct schools to dictate what we should call ourselves? What if we pick a new name and they don't like that one, either?

Time will tell.

Maybe we should first have a conference tell UND that it won't be accepted because of its nickname before jumping to the conclusion that it's a serious problem. It could be a potential problem, but at this point, I'm not going to assume that it is until someone presents evidence otherwise.

Right now.

We'll burn that bridge when we come to it. I don't consider forcing the NCAA to actually follow its own constitution and bylaws a bad thing. Do you?

I'm not convinced that the publicity generated by this controversy is all bad for UND. In fact, I think most of it resonates quite well with a large majority of Americans. Until someone can produce an independent, scientific poll showing that most American Indians in the country are against using Native American nicknames for sports teams, I'd be willing to bet that the attention UND receives from the issue does it more good than harm.

At what point do you even want to be called the Fighting Sioux?

This point.

As time has gone by most are sick if the name fight, "there is no honor left in the name" one family member said.

You and your family members should visit the Sisseton-Wahpeton reservation and tell that to the family members of the late Woodrow Wilson Keeble, the man who's likely to become the first Sioux Indian to receive the Medal of Honor. Also tell it to the Sioux war veterans who came to Engelstad Arena to honor Keeble.

Flickertails sounds better every day.
I'm sorry, but no self-respecting UND sports fan would make this statement. I've never met anyone but change-the-name proponents who seriously think that Flickertails would be a good nickname.

At least when the Sioux win there 8th National title there will not be a side note of how racist the people in North Dakota are......

Perhaps if you could show me where such sidenotes exist for any of UND's current national championships, your statment would have some credibility.

Please don't slam me, these are real questions long time sioux fans ask. I would love to keep the name, but there is a limit people can take.

I suspect that most UND fans have greater limits than NDSU fans.

Right now, the list of schools that will potentially play UND is considerably longer than the list that won't. Do we want a few politically correct schools to dictate what we should call ourselves? What if we pick a new name and they don't like that one, either?
The two big rival teams won't play us.

Maybe we should first have a conference tell UND that it won't be accepted because of its nickname before jumping to the conclusion that it's a serious problem. It could be a potential problem, but at this point, I'm not going to assume that it is until someone presents evidence otherwise.

Its something to think about.

We'll burn that bridge when we come to it. I don't consider forcing the NCAA to actually follow its own constitution and bylaws a bad thing. Do you?
I gave money to fight did you?

You and your family members should visit the Sisseton-Wahpeton reservation and tell that to the family members of the late Woodrow Wilson Keeble, the man who's likely to become the first Sioux Indian to receive the Medal of Honor. Also tell it to the Sioux war veterans who came to Engelstad Arena to honor Keeble.

Saw it, loved it. There is others that speak out against us. Others run UND's name through the mud over this.

I'm sorry, but no self-respecting UND sports fan would make this statement. I've never met anyone but change-the-name proponents who seriously think that Flickertails would be a good nickname.

Can't put a bit of humor by you.

Perhaps if you could show me where such sidenotes exist for any of UND's current national championships, your statment would have some credibility.

Last one was in 2000 alittle before the NCAA ban. I could see it now USA Today Headline: Sioux win 8 time Champs, the Sioux are currently banned from hosting playoff games beacuse of their native american logo.

If it comes to a point where ALL of our options are extinguished, and our student athletes are punished because of the Fighting Sioux nickname, it's time to retire it. If we do retire it, we should have no nickname and go by North Dakota. No nickname is the only nickname that will be not offensive to everyone.

Now, how many negatives do I need to have in that last sentence to not make it a positive?

The two big rival teams won't play us.

They're our big rivals in hockey and they're still playing us in hockey. Do you think that we will be big rivals with them in basketball and football?

I gave money to fight did you?
All that proves is that you like to waste your money.

There is others that speak out against us. Others run UND's name through the mud over this.

Which has been going on for more than 30 years. Yet after all that time, the majority of those allegedly victimized by American Indian nicknames don't believe that they're harmed by them.

Can't put a bit of humor by you.
It wasn't funny.

I could see it now USA Today Headline: Sioux win 8 time Champs, the Sioux are currently banned from hosting playoff games beacuse of their native american logo.

I'm sure you can see it. However, nobody's going to write a headline like that, not even USA Today. But if imagining it is enough to make you run away from the fight, then run away.

They're our big rivals in hockey and they're still playing us in hockey. Do you think that we will be big rivals with them in basketball and football?
It would sure be fun to play them.....

All that proves is that you like to waste your money.

So the truth comes out you don't want to keep the name :)

Which has been going on for more than 30 years. Yet after all that time, the majority of those allegedly victimized by American Indian nicknames don't believe that they're harmed by them.
But wouldn't it be nice to hear about our hockey team with out the logo being brought up.

It wasn't funny.

It sure was, it got you going

The point was to see how far we go with this name. It effects us every day. Each week a new school comes out against us. St. Cloud will be next in Basketball and Football when we are not in the NCC together, plus Duluth has that hippie up there that does't care for are logo. Will more come, i don't know.

Are you calling the NCAA Litigation Fund a waste of money?

Not at all. I simply don't understand why someone would brag about giving money to a cause that he/she is obviously ready to abandon.

Edited by PCM

The point was to see how far we go with this name. It effects us every day. Each week a new school comes out against us. St. Cloud will be next in Basketball and Football when we are not in the NCC together, plus Duluth has that hippie up there that does't care for are logo. Will more come, i don't know.

You are grossly exaggerating the situation, which makes it easy to understand why you're ready to give up.