SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ UMtc

AZSIOUX

Listening to the highlights I could hear the Sioux fans loud and clear in the background! There must be a sh bunch of Sioux fans at the game!!

You certainly saw a lot on the TV, they had shots of the concourses and such you see a fair number of them. (Not just the cherry picked pictures in the arena.)

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gophers will definitely be tougher tomorrow night (I hope not, but I'm thinking they've got to be). In all reality, Sioux really took them out of their game tonight with their tenacious play. We just have to eliminate some of the penalties, and play the same game tomorrow night.

Weren't the Goofs missing some key players tonight?

Great job for 50 minutes tonight guys! Fantastic play by Bina, kudos to Kaip for the faceoff draw, and Fabian gets to knock the monkey off his back from the first period. Good hands Dunky. Porter will have a better/great game tomorrow. Third line definitely did it's job. Brian, you need to hit someone.

Oh, and btw, did they heat the ice up to 33-1/2 deg tonight for the first period? The puck seemed like a damn jumping bean. Go get them stinkin gophers tomorrow!!!

Regardless of whether the Sioux win, tie, or lose tomorrow night, the rankings should be fairly

interesting. How many weekends can Minnesota lose the Friday night game and still be #1?

Plus, Northeastern beat Maine 6-1

Not so surprising.

Northeastern has been playing well as of late. They took a few points from BC as well.

MSUM beating UW is a bigger shock to me than Northeastern.

Not so surprising.

Northeastern has been playing well as of late. They took a few points from BC as well.

MSUM beating UW is a bigger shock to me than Northeastern.

Northeastern has played quite well since McEachern came on as an assistant coach, but Maine is just reeling at this point.

Congratulations to the Sioux for whacking the Gophers . . . I wish I could've seen it, so you'll just have to do it again tomorrow.

Good game by the Sioux tonight. If the Gophers could have played the 2nd and 3rd like they did the 1st I think they could have had the game in hand, but they choked. Did Bina have 3 penalties tonight, I know it was 2 for sure?!

If Toews keeps clicking like he has been lately it could be a fun 2nd half run for the Sioux.

Good game by the Sioux tonight. If the Gophers could have played the 2nd and 3rd like they did the 1st I think they could have had the game in hand, but they choked. Did Bina have 3 penalties tonight, I know it was 2 for sure?!

If Toews keeps clicking like he has been lately it could be a fun 2nd half run for the Sioux.

He had 3, but we'll forgive him as he had the shorty that switched the momentum.

Got to see the game at Senser's with Runningwiththedogs and her man. Thanks for the company!

Didn't have the best view as the screen was far away so had trouble ID'ing numbers and such.

Had I known the Sioux would take 11 or 12 penalties before this game, I wonder if I would have even watched it. I would not have expected to survive that many penalties, especially since the Sioux didn't have that many PP's of their own. Capping that is the fact that our captains took a penalty each, and our honorary captain 3? Gutty performance by the PK.

I see Hakstol lauded Lammy's play and I was thinking he might be the PotG for the Sioux as it seemed like the Gophers had WAY too much time with the puck in the offensive zone, but he seemed to handle the shots very well. Haven't seen any stats yet but look forward to them.

From what I saw on TV, though, I disagree with the fact the Sioux played well the first 10 minutes. I thought they looked rather bad from the start well into the 2nd period until the DOT line finally came out and sustained pressure in the offensive zone. I think it was the next shift or 2 when Fabian tied it up.

Oshie again snake-bit on that scoring opportunity (PP?) late in the 3rd.

Key play was Duncan converting the Gopher turnover to give the 3 goal cushion. That did this heart good, let me tell you. That's the kind of opportunity it seemed to me the Sioux were giving up, or just about giving up all night. Though we didn't quite give it away out front like Duncan's goal, it seemed there were too many passes out of the zone that weren't made with authority, and were kept in by Gophers. These seemed to result in multiple scoring opportunities. I would like to see that fixed before tomorrow night as I doubt we can escape 2 nights in a row that way.

Very heartening to see scoring from the lower lines again. Huge.

I'm not sold with Genoway on defense, but I do like him as a player.

PP sure looked ragged at times, which was unfortunate given the big ice. Someone mentioned the bouncy puck and I noticed the same thing in the first period for the Sioux in the offensive zone, and it seemed the same for the Gophers in the 2nd. Could it have been that end of the ice, maybe?

Gutty effort to battle back, regardless of the mistakes and weaknesses. MN hasn't given up very many even strength goals in the past several games. And the Sioux have had difficulty scoring. Tonite that might be the story of the game.

I was surprised that this game was very clean in that there was very little crap after the whistle and tempers getting out of control. That was good for the Sioux, I think.

I very much look forward to watching the replay so I can pick up stuff I missed the first time through, plus hear the commentary.

One thing that heartens me is that I'm not sure if Gordon would have made the difference tonite. Maybe that's shortchanging the difficulty MN had with one less forward to throw out there, but while Gordon is a good player it seems to me the Sioux showed tonite they can play well enough to beat the Gophs again tomorrow. Naturally the Gophs can play well enough to beat the Sioux, but there's a chance. The Sioux didn't just "luck" this one out.

GO SIOUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a great hard fought game for the Sioux, they played hard, which is good, because it wasn't pretty. Hard hitting all game long even players that made mistakes were hitting hard. The Sioux will have to play MUCH better to sweep.

Good:

• 7-9-16 Wow what energy.
  • Fabian-Kaip-Kozek-Radke-Oshie-Vandevelde nice job hitting hard on the forecheck.
  • Phil had an outstanding game and kept the team in when they were awful for the first 18 minutes.
  • Bina, thank you for finishing the easy goal, talk to Oshie and Chorney... :D
  • Finley, love what you did to Howe... :0
  • Genoway, great play leading to the goal, but if you screw that up Howe is in alone on Phil. Thank you for not screwing that up.
  • Officiating, I didn't like the Kaip call, but if 1 call is all I can think of that is a great game.

• Oshie (love the hustle, but) this missing wide open nets is not cute anymore, what does J.T. have to do?
    • Also Chorney, what happened, what does J.T. (or was it Oshie) have to do?
    • Oshie, third game in a row, quit being a bonehead in your own zone, this is the third game in a row you have forgotten you have teammates and decide to bring the puck up by yourself. Phil bailed you out against the Beavers twice, but this time you guys got caught in the zone, were tired, took a tired penalty, and gave up a goal on a delayed penalty. J.T. was wide open, don't be cute in front of your net (still love the hustle)...
    • Radke (90% sure this was you), I hope Hak rides you hard. It is rare that I see the Sioux suffer from a lack of hustle, but you did it and were lucky not to cost you team. You went after the puck in the offensive zone (good) and decide you were too good to skate out of the zone, and they waited, and waited, and waited. 3 guys caught and waiting seemingly forever at the Blue line. Had a giveaway occured, Minnesota certainly would have had numbers. What is your major malfunction? If anyone earned a ride on the pine tomorrow it was you. But that lazy play wasn't bad enough, you had to take that boneheaded penalty with under 2 to play, you had the Gophers demoralized going into tomorrow's game, but you had to take a stupid unnecessary penalty and give them a spark. ;)
    • Watkins, don't make a 20 ft. pass to the skates of a 6'7" defender with forwards charging. ???

Great job for 50 minutes tonight guys! Fantastic play by Bina, kudos to Kaip for the faceoff draw, and Fabian gets to knock the monkey off his back from the first period. Good hands Dunky. Porter will have a better/great game tomorrow. Third line definitely did it's job. Brian, you need to hit someone.

Oh, and btw, did they heat the ice up to 33-1/2 deg tonight for the first period? The puck seemed like a damn jumping bean. Go get them stinkin gophers tomorrow!!!

Fabian is our Weible (sp?), but with a lick of talent...

Oh, and Kozek appeared to be favoring that shoulder. There were times when a Gopher had the puck on the boards and the healthy Kozek would have smoked him, and tonite he just tried to play that puck. It's too bad, because I think we could use that physical presence.

overall, i thought that it was a good game. Not very dirty. yes, the gophers did run into Phil too many times but the refs shoulda called that. WCHA Refs need to be fired. Best in the League my foot. That call on Kaip was ridiculous. watching the replay, you could see Briggs tripping him! Ugh, ok I am done with my rant. Good game by our boys and hopefully they can keep it up for tomorrow.

I'm not sold with Genoway on defense, but I do like him as a player.

During the game, I was just about to make a post saying that I'd rather see Genoway at forward and Radke back on defense when Chay made a couple of nice plays at the blue line that resulted in the Toews goal. So I've decided to trust Hak's judgement -- for now. ???