SiouxSports.com Forum

UBC - likely NCAA's first Canadian school

star2city

Meant to post this earlier this week, but there has been additional stories out this weeked.

Vote for inclusion of UBC likely next January

(The NCAA's) Osburn also said that while the next step is for the NCAA's three divisions to each discuss respective legislation for admittance of international schools, none of that should be considered any kind of road block to the process.

"They just want to go through the discussions and make sure that all the logistics are thought through and to make it an easy transition," said Osburn.

UBC brings plenty of pluses to the NCAA's table

Highlights:

if you read between the lines, it appears that the NCAA

As for hockey, If another school or two join DI I think it's much more likely that we see a true West Coast conference involving the Alaska schools. It sure would save money for them and then you can see a school like BSU join the WCHA.

OTOH, I'm sure the WCHA would be very interested in having a couple Canadian schools join. It gives the league a chance to showcase and market itself to Canada. It can only help with recruiting especially since I'd expect many Canadian kids planning on playing college hockey to then want to stay in Canada, which mean teams like UND and DU losing out on recruits.

Door Opens for University of Alberta?

The door has been opened and University of Alberta athletic director Dale Schulha is considering stepping through it.

On Monday, the NCAA - the governing body for university and college sports in the United States - said they may allow Canadian schools to seek membership as part of a 10-year pilot program.

"Certainly from my perspective, I would look at that opportunity or potential if it arose," said Schulha. "We want to provide the best environments for our student athletes.

Getting a chance to play against American schools in the NCAA is an endeavour spearheaded by the University of B.C.

At their annual convention in Orlando, NCAA president Myles Brand said the decision would only affect a small number of schools, no more than three.

"I'm very surprised by this from the history of the NCAA and from talking to (athletic directors) from the U.S. that didn't think this would come about," Schulha said. "Now that it has, we have the best varsity athletic programs in the country, so why wouldn't we keep all avenues open?"

If Schulha would have read Siouxsports.com, he would have known this NCAA opportunity would come about. :sad:

The one thing that would concern me (and it apparently concerns Alberta) is the "10 year pilot program". There are still a lot of legal issues here, notably Title IX which of course does not apply in Canada, and would potentially allow the Canadian schools to quickly build up moneymaking mens programs without comparable women's offerings.

If they ever pursued NCAA football, they just might have a shiny new stadium to play in.

Just announced yesterday:

New $120 Mill Stadium proposed for Winnipeg Blue Bombers

CBC: New stadium could be 'phenomenal' for Winnipeg

Hey Star, where is the attached Canad Inn? :whistling:

From this old thread...

Last week, Canad Inn owner Ledohowski and the Winnipeg BlueBombers announced they were looking into the feasibility of a partially enclosed new stadium, with an attached water park, and a major hotel looking over the stadium's endzone. Wonder where he got those ideas? :ohmy: It would seem much of the impetus for Fargo to build a downtown arena complex would be to compete with the new Alerus / Canad complex. Some articles:

Crossroads for BlueBombers

Daring to Dream

Could Be Some Sporting Spinoffs

Hey Star, where is the attached Canad Inn? :whistling:

Had wondered that myself. Here's an answer from a Winnipeg blog.

The answer goes back 20 months, to when the Bombers announced with great fanfare a proposal to build a new 30,000 seat stadium near Assiniboia Downs as part of a $185 million "destination complex."

They intended to partner with Leo Ledohowski who would build an attached hotel and a water park nearby. The location would be on land owned by the Red River Exhibition Association, which would bring events to the Bomber stadium to provide a new revenue stream.

Big plans. Pretty pictures. Lotsa press. Buzz galore.

Then ... nothing. The proposal was stillborn.

The stadium couldn't be built without public money, and the "public" in the form of the city and the province sat on their hands. They couldn't justify spending tens of millions of dollars on a facility on the far outskirts of the city when the Inner City was going begging for development funds.

• 9 months later...

British Columbia appears to be making plans to join DII (rather than DI) and play up in two sports, then later move to DI. Had wondered how UBC was going to deal with the DI moratorium, but technically, they still need an exemption to bypass the moratorium on the single-sport move-ups. With DII not sponsoring men's volleyball or women's hockey, UBC (without the moratorium) could move four teams up (M&W Hockey, M&W volleyball).

UBC poised for NCAA application

The University of B.C. Thunderbirds could be fielding teams in two NCAA Div. 1 sports, including men's hockey, as early as the 2009-10 season.

Although a moratorium passed by the National Collegiate Athletic Association in August has effectively shut the door on any new member schools at the Div. 1 level until 2011, the UBC athletics department is strongly considering submitting an application to join the U.S. giant's Div. 2 ranks.

UBC could take this action under the terms of an NCAA 10-year pilot program approved last January to allow foreign-based institutions full membership.

UBC athletics director Bob Philip told The Province that it is very likely that the NCAA, at its 2008 annual convention in January, will announce that applications for Div. 2 membership are being accepted from foreign schools.

Thunderbirds Eyeing NCAA membership

The University of British Columbia Thunderbirds could be fielding teams in two NCAA Division I sports as early as the 2009-10 season, including men's hockey.

Although a moratorium passed by the NCAA in August has effectively shut the door on any new member schools at the Division I level until 2011, the UBC athletics department is strongly considering -- under the terms of an NCAA 10-year pilot program approved last January to allow foreign-based institutions full membership -- submitting an application to join the NCAA Division II ranks.

Hockey, volleyball at top of the list

• 2 months later...

NCAA approves program to allow Canadian schools in DII

In a landmark decision the NCAA has voted to allow Canadian universities to apply for membership and the University of British Columbia is set to do so.

The vote was 97% in favour (258 for, 9 against, 2 abstentions).

The move paves the way for Canadian schools like UBC to join the Division 2 of the National Collegiate Athletic Association within the next three years.

Schools must apply for membership by June 1st.

Both UBC and Simon Fraser University have already had discussions with NCAA conferences in the western United States and there is interest in both sides of the negotiations. The Great Northwest and Pacific West Conferences have been part of the discussions. ...

It is believed the University of Alberta and St Claire's College in Ontario are also interested in membership.

Well, that's pretty interesting. UBC is a Division II school but would most likely play DI in hockey. I wonder if they would eventually move up to DI in other sports? I think it would be great to have UBC, U of Alberta and Simon Fraser University on our schedule. I wonder if St. Cloud State or Minnesota would schedule Simon Fraser? Their athletic teams are called The Clan. Sounds kind of hostile and abusive to me. Although, I guess St. Cloud might like that name. :D

• 1 month later...

Appears U of Alberta will not be moving to the NCAA (for now):

Campus Scene: Canada West universities talk NCAA

As expected, officials from Simon Fraser University and the University of British Columbia are seriously considering the move. Canada West will know by April 1 whether UBC will apply to join the NCAA.

Those from the only other Canada West school rumoured to be considering switching to the NCAA, the University of Alberta, said they are not contemplating a move.

Finding a conference not a problem for UBC or SFU

THE GNAC may not be the initial all-sports conference for UBC.

Aloha!

University of B.C. student-athletes could be saying it with regularity in the near future.

Bob Hogue, commissioner of the Pacific West Conference, which features four teams in Hawaii, was in an ebullient mood this week discussing UBC's possible application to his NCAA Division II conference.

"I think they're terrific people and it's a great institution," said Hogue, a former senator and sports broadcaster. "They're a wonderful fit for our conference and frankly for other conferences on the West Coast as well. We're aggressively exploring this opportunity."

And the way Hogue sees it, the Thunderbirds would be a great addition to his master marketing plan.

"I firmly believe that we have the most beautiful destination conference in the world," said Hogue, whose conference also has schools in San Francisco, Phoenix and Utah. "I also believe that if we were to add B.C., they would fit perfectly into that."

Tough conference decision on the horizon

Should they decide to apply to the NCAA, the University of B.C. will have to determine which conference -- the Pacific West Conference or Great Northwest Athletic Conference -- is a better fit. We take a look at the two conferences and three issues to consider.

About the closest the average Vancouverite will come to name recognition in either conference is Bellingham's Western Washington University in the GNAC, so the schools are fairly irrelevant here. There would be a learning curve for fans either way.

The big difference between the two conferences on the surface would appear to be travel cost. The PacWest has schools in Hawaii, San Francisco, Phoenix and Utah. The GNAC covers the Pacific Northwest.

Yet UBC athletic director Bob Philip said the difference isn't huge, pointing to the fact that, compared to CIS, a much higher percentage of your schedule is non-conference in the NCAA.

"If you're in GNAC, then your conference travel is cheaper but your non-conference games will be more expensive and vice versa," he said.

And, as Philip noted, travel time -- which is time away from school -- also has to be factored in along with cost. You can fly to Hawaii in about half the time it takes to bus to parts of Oregon or Idaho.

There's definitely a connection between air travel and the feel of big-time college sports for a student-athlete, so this could be a bigger deal than it first appears.

Currently the majority of UBC teams navigate Western Canada on WestJet. To graduate to Greyhound could be a tough pill to swallow.

UBC's Division I men's hockey timeline unclear

Division II schools are allowed to play Division I in one women's and one men's sport, with the exception of football and basketball. Should they apply and be accepted into the NCAA, UBC has pegged men's hockey as one of the teams and there's no doubt it would have tremendous potential to become a flagship program, playing out of the new Olympic arena.

Technically, though, that wouldn't be able to happen until at least 2011 because of a moratorium on Division I membership. Yet there seemed to be some wiggle room in the language used by NCAA spokesperson Stacey Osburn this week. "There are a lot of things that the membership committee is looking at and we're trying to do that in partnership with those schools," she said.

UBC athletic director Bob Philip saw things in a similar light, but said talks haven't begun yet with any DI hockey conferences.

• 2 months later...

UBC application to NCAA not a given

Somewhat of a surprise in the delay.

UBC won't apply to the NCAA by the June 1 deadline, while SFU has yet to come to a decision.

UBC could still be competing south of the border by 2009-10, although, with the Olympics coming to Vancouver and campus, 2010-11 is more realistic.

Yet they will take time to sort through and that will allow UBC to gain a clear understanding of where the CIS sits on dual membership with the NCAA. The CIS is expected to vote on that topic at their AGM in June, which will either complicate or help solve UBC's sport-specific issues.

• 4 months later...

UBC in faculty/student/alum talks on NCAA move

"Right now, all we're allowed to do is to apply for Division II, so that's really all we can talk about at the moment," says Phillip, who had the courage and vision to at least investigate this possibility. "The NCAA has encouraged us to consult with everyone involved in the process and that's what we're going to do. One of the biggest issues going forward on any of this will be academic accreditation, which can be quite a lengthy process, so I'm sure that will generate some interest."

Inviting the surrounding residents is a nice touch, too, but it's unlikely a move to Division II will produce any huge increase in the number of people attending sporting events, thus impacting residents. Even if the hockey team would be the designated men's team to play Division I, with all the big-time U.S. collegiate teams visiting the new rink, they would still be competing against the Canucks and the Giants with an extreme west location. Accessibility would change when SkyTrain eventually goes to UBC, but that's not for at least 10 years.

Former JC-type British Columbia schools are watering down the CIS.

Part of the thrust to go NCAA in the first place has been provided by CIS, which has watered down the appeal of UBC, UVic, TWU and SFU here in B.C. It has given virtually every small school playing status with the big four, which are not amused by the idea of being lumped into a B.C. division, something presently being considered.

UBC launches NCAA debate series

The neighbouring Great Northwest Athletic Conference, which includes Western Washington University, has expressed interest in both UBC and SFU, while the Pacific West Conference -- featuring four Hawaiian schools -- is another option for UBC.

Philip said if UBC takes this course, it would have a conference selected before applying to the NCAA because "they can help with the process." He also said the NCAA had clarified the entry timeline. Should UBC or SFU apply before June 1, 2009, and be accepted, they would have a choice of how to proceed in their first season, which could be 2010-11, Philip stated. Teams could either stay in their current league, or play a full exhibition schedule in the NCAA without athletes losing eligibility.

The following season would be a full NCAA schedule where games count but teams are not eligible for national championships, and the third season would be full-fledged membership.

Another attractive element of the NCAA for UBC is having Div. 1 men's hockey playing out of the new Olympic arena. Div. 2 schools can play up in one women's and one men's sport, excluding basketball and football. Philip will be meeting with Div. 1 hockey officials in early October as he travels with the Thunderbirds to games in Alaska and Minnesota.