SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs SEAWOLVES

AZSIOUX

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very good article PCM. your best yet :)

as for whether or not our freshmen have been a disappointment, I am not an expert by any means, but i think that they are doing ok. UND has had some good freshman classes with Travis Zajac, Spirko, Rylan Kaip, Kyle Radke, and Lammy and then with last year's freshmen. It seems to me that after last year's class, anyone would be a disappointment. I guess I just like to wait and see at the end of the year.

Bottom line, this freshman class has not come close to producing to the standards of this program. I realize we are only half way through the season but to still have our two biggest name recruits both stuck on 0 goals is a big disappointment.

What do you consider a "standard of the program" for a freshman? Is it the numbers put up by Toews and Oshie, or is it the numbers that guys like Bryan Lundbohm and Lee Goren put up, which by the way, wasn't much at all. I think improvement is the way to judge freshmen, especially ones that don't come in with Rookie of the Year hype. I think the improvement has been there, and hopefully more results will follow in the second half.

Recent Sioux freshmen that have had less than stellar years:

Bryan Lundbohm

Matt Henderson

Lee Goren

etc.

There are many more; likely more that have NOT had an impact than those that have. In the WCHA, it is IMPOSSIBLE to rely on freshmen to lead your team to greatness. It is very rare for even sophomores to be scoring leaders. Can we have a little patience with these freshmen?

The first half was worthy of a D. No question this team had a poor first half of the season but that is over and done with. Now is the time to turn the page and turn it around.

From http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

... 2. Get a goal out of the second line. A major reason UND was so hard to contain last season is because it had two outstanding lines. If you were able to stop Ryan Duncan, Toews and Drew Stafford, then you got to see Rastislav Spirko, Travis Zajac and T.J. Oshie. The second line has been quiet lately for UND, though. Chris Porter hasn't scored in 12 games and Matt Watkins hasn't scored in eight. Tonight, they'll play with Brad Miller, and they need to get some production...

Bingo!!

And what about next year, when Porter/Toews/Oshie will/probably will be gone? Who's on the 1st line?

Next year? Isn't that putting the cart before the horse? How about tonight? How about this weekend? I'm a little more concerned with here and now. Take care of business tonight, then round out the weekend with a win Saturday, then go from there. I really don't care who scores and how many they score as long as the Sioux have more goals at the end of 60 minutes.

Next year? Isn't that putting the cart before the horse? How about tonight? How about this weekend? I'm a little more concerned with here and now. Take care of business tonight, then round out the weekend with a win Saturday, then go from there. I really don't care who scores and how many they score as long as the Sioux have more goals at the end of 60 minutes.

You're such a wet blanket. This season is over. Move on with your life. :):D

Bryan Lundbohm

Matt Henderson

Lee Goren

etc.

There are many more; likely more that have NOT had an impact than those that have. In the WCHA, it is IMPOSSIBLE to rely on freshmen to lead your team to greatness. It is very rare for even sophomores to be scoring leaders. Can we have a little patience with these freshmen?

Don't forget Colby Genaway as well. He did not do much of anything his first year and by his junior season, he was a dominating force on the ice.

Don't forget Colby Genaway as well. He did not do much of anything his first year and by his junior season, he was a dominating force on the ice.

Yeah, but we were spoiled by Oshie, Parise, Murray, Zajac, Stafford, and even Toews.

I remember saying preseason that I expect Vandevelde to take the better part of his freshman year to start contributing. After all, it took the better part of his USHL season to really start contributing there.

Forney spent the first half of the season recovering and getting over a pretty significant injury.

They have been disappointing THUS FAR, but again, even if they don't really do much their freshmen year, I'm going to wait and see what will happen. Vandevelde and Forney have had flashes of greatness thus far. Scoring will come in time.

I was going to go to Senser's tonight but I just got out of the hospital so I am not able to go watch tonight. Does the Ralph have a good webservice for the games and how much is it?

That stinks, I hope you are ok. The athletic department has a web video that they have been doing for free to the first 100 people for home games. Here is the link that I can find, but someone normally has it in the game thread when that is started.

http://www.fightingsioux.com/info/broadcast/

From http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

... 2. Get a goal out of the second line. A major reason UND was so hard to contain last season is because it had two outstanding lines. If you were able to stop Ryan Duncan, Toews and Drew Stafford, then you got to see Rastislav Spirko, Travis Zajac and T.J. Oshie. The second line has been quiet lately for UND, though. Chris Porter hasn't scored in 12 games and Matt Watkins hasn't scored in eight. Tonight, they'll play with Brad Miller, and they need to get some production...

Bingo!!

And what about next year, when Porter/Toews/Oshie will/probably will be gone? Who's on the 1st line?

Porter needs to be demoted. For those of you who predicted a breakout year of him, well.....CLANK! That C on his jersey needs to be removed and given to Toews while we still have him.

Porter needs to be demoted. For those of you who predicted a breakout year of him, well.....CLANK! That C on his jersey needs to be removed and given to Toews while we still have him.

Folks, I know it's early, but I 'm betting this ends up as one of the top 10 dumbest posts of 07.

What grade would you give the Sioux for their outstanding performance during the first half?? I really hope nothing better than a D!

Laughing out loud, although pointed a pointed question I think Dubay is right, the effort of the Sioux sucked in the first half.

Goaltending D-

Defense D

Forwards C-

PK D

PP B

Coaching D

Intangables F

The team hovered around 50+ on the PK nationally

Not good, the Power Play was as high as 7th nationally but has sunk to about 17th nationally.

That D is pretty accurate. :D

Lets also not forget Colbey only got three years because he lost a year of elgibility for playing MJ.

Bryan Lundbohm

Matt Henderson

Lee Goren

etc.

It is very rare for even sophomores to be scoring leaders. Can we have a little patience with these freshmen?

If you look at the list of ex-Sioux players you just listed, I don't think any of our current crop Freshmen are anywhere close to the list of players except for maybe

Chay Genoway. But we will see.