SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Tourney news, thoughts, articles

AZSIOUX

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares about all that? Everyone is sitting on edge awaiting your assesment of Team Canada's play today.

My assessment is:

They won. Price played well. Toews plays tough. O'Marra got smoked infront of his bench late in the third period in an AWESOME hit.

Bourdon got named player of the game.

Did I miss anything? :huh:

WCHA does UW no Favors

Check out this article I have to say that I agree with him.

Twelve players from four Western Collegiate Hockey Association schools were chosen to play in the prestigious event. That includes half of the 22-man American squad and another on Team Canada, the two-time defending champion.

The WCHA, the most successful Division I league going, prides itself on the elite talent playing for its members. The WCHA also benefits from that reality given league players have won the past five Hobey Baker Awards and WCHA schools have won the past five NCAA titles.

So why are teams being penalized when their players take part in the WJC?

The WCHA is playing a full round of games Jan. 5, 6 and 7, meaning that the four schools with WJC participants likely will have to do without front-line players for at least one of those games. The level of competitive hardship is acute when you know that in addition to UW, Minnesota will be without five players, North Dakota three and Colorado College one.

UW will play a series at Denver and North Dakota will travel to Colorado College that weekend. Minnesota, meanwhile, will play a home-and-home series with Minnesota State-Mankato on Friday and Sunday.

Thing is, WCHA coaches shouldn't have to worry about such a thing. Every effort should be made to avoid playing league games on that first weekend in January because they conflict with the WJC. It's one thing to play in a holiday tournament, which is what the Badgers will be doing Friday and Saturday. It's another to have games that affect the MacNaughton Cup race.

If nothing else, travel roster restrictions should be waived for schools such as UW and North Dakota, allowing them to bring in their WJC players as soon as they get back. It's hard to believe there is any debate about this, much less the thought that WCHA commissioner Bruce McLeod would balk.

The right thing is the obvious thing.

Being that we are not only playing an away series, but it's also in Colorado (elevation, time difference) if our players did come back on Fri/Sat would we even play them? I wouldn't think so... However, if USA continues as is, and comes home early... then it's a different situation

Being that we are not only playing an away series, but it's also in Colorado (elevation, time difference) if our players did come back on Fri/Sat would we even play them? I wouldn't think so... However, if USA continues as is, and comes home early... then it's a different situation

If the USA plays like they did today there is a chance they could back in time for the games. I don't know how their legs would be and they would have some serious jet lag. Who knows.

Don got minneasota series changed to sat sun why didn't everybody?

Would he even play them in that series though? They could be pretty tired after playing all those games and then flying back home that day. I would be surprised if he played all of them in that Sat/Sun series.

Would he even play them in that series though? They could be pretty tired after playing all those games and then flying back home that day. I would be surprised if he played all of them in that Sat/Sun series.

The MSU-M games are on Friday and Sunday.