SiouxSports.com Forum

Outsider's Perspective

cujo2

I noticed an entire thread stating "Fighting Sioux Problems". I have not read the entire thread but I would like to share my thoughts on UND's struggles so far. Here is my take.

1.) Toews & Oshie--No doubt between the two they have tremendous talent but have been non-existent this year. I think last year they snuck up on the other teams. Most teams were keying in on stopping Stafford & Zajac, therefore making Oshie & Toews more available to score or set-up goals. This years most teams are honing in on stopping Toews & Oshie. Problem for the sioux is that after these 2 guys their is not much else in the way of scoring. If teams continue to "clamp" down on these guys and nobody else steps up it will be a long winter in Grand Forks.

2.) Defense--Under the Gasparini & Blais era UND was known for defenseman that could double as a defensive-end for the football team & the same d-men would hit like a freight-train. Teams did not want to be in front of the net for fear of getting the bleep knocked out of them. There was a "swagger". I don't see that with UND this year. Seems like Hakstol is going after more atheltic offensive-minded defensemen and it seems to not be working---case in point last 3 seasons of Gophe defensemen

3.) Goaltending--I think this is a glaring need for the sioux. Lamareaux is not the answer. From what I have seen he can not control his emotions on the ice--not a good sign. The goalie is the one position where emotions can not run amuck. Lammy seems to always give up a soft goal during the game. Greico, is what 17 or 18. Still untested in WCHA waters and inexperienced. Who knows maybe he will be a brick wall in 2 years.

These are just a few of my thoughts. Don't know if everyone agrees or disagrees with me but I thought I would share an "Outside Perspective"

I noticed an entire thread stating "Fighting Sioux Problems". I have not read the entire thread but I would like to share my thoughts on UND's struggles so far. Here is my take.

1.) Toews & Oshie--No doubt between the two they have tremendous talent but have been non-existent this year. I think last year they snuck up on the other teams. Most teams were keying in on stopping Stafford & Zajac, therefore making Oshie & Toews more available to score or set-up goals. This years most teams are honing in on stopping Toews & Oshie. Problem for the sioux is that after these 2 guys their is not much else in the way of scoring. If teams continue to "clamp" down on these guys and nobody else steps up it will be a long winter in Grand Forks.

2.) Defense--Under the Gasparini & Blais era UND was known for defenseman that could double as a defensive-end for the football team & the same d-men would hit like a freight-train. Teams did not want to be in front of the net for fear of getting the bleep knocked out of them. There was a "swagger". I don't see that with UND this year. Seems like Hakstol is going after more atheltic offensive-minded defensemen and it seems to not be working---case in point last 3 seasons of Gophe defensemen

3.) Goaltending--I think this is a glaring need for the sioux. Lamareaux is not the answer. From what I have seen he can not control his emotions on the ice--not a good sign. The goalie is the one position where emotions can not run amuck. Lammy seems to always give up a soft goal during the game. Greico, is what 17 or 18. Still untested in WCHA waters and inexperienced. Who knows maybe he will be a brick wall in 2 years.

These are just a few of my thoughts. Don't know if everyone agrees or disagrees with me but I thought I would share an "Outside Perspective"

I agree with your points, though I don't think that LAMOUREUX's problem is skill. I think his problem is mental. It seems like he lets in one or two goals and gets frustrated with himself. Case in point if you could have seen his face in the third on Friday, he looked absolutely pissed. It used to seem like Jordie was the same way, exspecially if it was a goal right after we scored. To me, if he could get past that, (for example, Jordie in the post-season run the last two years) he would be fine.

I couldn't say it any better myself, although I don't view the defense to be as a big of a problem as the role players not stepping up. The biggest problem is the goalie situation in my opinion. I read in a thread somewhere that someone stated that in 31 games they have no seen lammy win a game or lose a game, which is the biggest problem. How many times last year did parise bail out UND with key saves, he is the reason the sioux got so far, and now that he is gone it is becoming quite obvious. Lammy often takes bad angles at the puck, and if he doesn't he doesn't come out far enough to challenge the shooter and his small frame doesn't allow him to cover as much of the net. A goalie is the top Penalty Killer as well and that was what parise gave us, and that Lammy isn't. He was brought in to be a number one goalie for the Sioux but has never taken the job when it was in front of him. My view is if you have two guys who are playing along the same level, play the younger guy and let him get expierence. This may not be true in the postseason, but with him in net, I dont know if the postseason will even be an option. Very nice post though Cujo2!!!!

i have grown up and been a Sioux fan forever. The analysis on the defensemen is dead on. It drives me crazy when a team shoots on out goalie and then stands right over him. This should never hapen without a d man going in his face showing him not to mess around in front of our net. I saw a WI player spray our goalie and two Sioux players skated right by the guy! The goalie gets confidence from his team sticking up for him. The Sioux d men need to make a Fort Knox around the goalie. No cheap shotting, just gritty balls out physical play.

That right there is the main problem in my opinion.No one fears crashing the SIOUX net this year like in the past if they did they paid a heavy price for it.Intimidation is huge in hockey and the SIOUX are lacking it right now.

It seemed fairly obvious this weekend that Wisconsin was shooting high everytime they had room as Lamareaux goes down too fast.

The first goal Saturday that happened and there was one or two on Friday that that happened.

Thats why i say size does matter in net, or benefits a goalie thats for sure! The thing is, a goalie of lammy's height, a goalie must have great skill and speed to get the pucks that go upper net/upper corners. Once lammy hits his knees the corners are almost wide open, where as a larger goalie gets on their knees and they still have their shoulders to help block the upper shelf shots. Not saying he is screwed, but he has to work that much harder. And as people are saying, once he lets one or two in, its all a mental issue then. Keep his poise(spelling) and he'll be ok. Other than that, I say start maybe switching goalies between friday and saturday games for a weekend or two like we use to, just to get a feel of what goal IS feeling more comfortable. I dont like switching goalies like that much , but if its something we have to do then I say do it. Heck! :blush:

And play physical through 3 periods! not just a hit here and there!

This is the #1 problem, by far, in my opinion. Dead on analysis!

i have grown up and been a Sioux fan forever. The analysis on the defensemen is dead on. It drives me crazy when a team shoots on out goalie and then stands right over him. This should never hapen without a d man going in his face showing him not to mess around in front of our net. I saw a WI player spray our goalie and two Sioux players skated right by the guy! The goalie gets confidence from his team sticking up for him. The Sioux d men need to make a Fort Knox around the goalie. No cheap shotting, just gritty balls out physical play.

AMEN!

It seemed fairly obvious this weekend that Wisconsin was shooting high everytime they had room as Lamareaux goes down too fast.

In a postgame text message sent to me straight from the arena, probably the most learned and passionate Sioux fan that I have the pleasure of knowing wryly, and perhaps correctly, observed, Lammy was on his knees more this weekend that a $2 hooker on the closing weekend of WeFest.

I like Lammy, and I am quite confident that he will step up his game and remember his technique. He just needs to forget about that rock star bs, cut his damned hair (like alot of the other kids on the team), and focus on what he will do best . . . .

Leading this team out of the Northern Plains, on down the Mississippi River, straight to the Gateway of Opportunity in St. Louis. We'll stop at The John on the way to show a few folks, cujo2 included, that this team is far far from done, and that this team can, and will, be a force with which to be reckoned come late February, March, and April.

It's gonna be a fun ride. After all, we're talking North Dakota Hockey here. It doesn't just come and go in a span of a few games, or even months. It feeds off of fever, and its fans. It is built on tradition, and loyalty.

I'm taking names, and will be checking them twice. Gonna find out who's been badmouthing and nice.

See y'all in St. Louis. At least those of you who ain't jumped into the river or checked yourselves into a halfway house.

:glare:

Mehhh whatever. I am not on this site to be a richard cranium. My intent is to give my input on the world of college hockey and UND.. Not gonna be a troll...not gonna be an "arrogant"gopher fan. I am going to be who I am. You guys can agree with me or disagree with me but either way it will be no sweat of my sack

Good post. I agree, especially with 2 and 3. I really do think Toews and Oshie are doing their part, but they have been playing through injuries and are carrying too much of the load.

Good post. I agree, especially with 2 and 3. I really do think Toews and Oshie are doing their part, but they have been playing through injuries and are carrying too much of the load.

One thing that I think is hurting is that Forney should have been this years Toews / Oshie. He has that kind of talent. Whether by injuries or other we have gotten nothing from him.