SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux vs Badgers

Sioux-cia

Radke was right where he should be, sitting as far away from the ice as possible. I'm glad Hakstol finally saw the light and sat him, lets hope that he stays as a "healthy scratch" the rest of the year. I guess it would be safe to say that I'd feel more comfortable with a folding chair or an orange cone out there, but thats just me.

You must have meant Lee as he needs to sit in the bleachers and figure out how to play the game....

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Time for my 2 cents worth.

Brian Lee. Talented kid, no doubt about it. We all knew when he came to UND that he was an OFFENSIVE defenseman, so why people are complaining about how the kids plays D, I am not sure. I think that if you had somebody solid and big that you could pair him with, he'd start putting up Travis Roche type #s on offense.

Joe Finley. Don't really know what to say about him. I don't expect him to be involved offensively much, but I would sure like to see him start laying out other teams' forwards. Maybe he just needs to have some of our recent alumni come back for a day or two and work with him in practice. I think 2 hours with Commodore, Schneider, and Jones would do wonders for this guy. They'd beat on him and it might actually cause him to learn how to do the same to others!

Our goalie situation. We have been having this conversation ever since BC snuck one by Karl in 01, and ended his collegiate career. Since that day, we as Sioux fans have waited for the second coming, and it hasn't happened yet. Are we asking too much? Possibly. I do feel that a goalie's #1 job is to stop the first shot, and after that, you better have some help for the guy. There are times where we give NO help to whomever is between the pipes, and there are times where he doesn't even feel one puck whiz by him. I am not an expert by any means, I can't even ice skate, so I won't call out anyone by saying they are terrible, I sure couldn't do any better. I just want to see someone who CAN do better get in there and steal some wins for this team.

And to whomever said that coak Hak needs to start showing some emotion, right on!!! I agree that the scene from Miracle should get played out in the Sioux locker-room!

As for your comments on Brian Lee being such an offensive threat. I was at the game last night and he wouldn't shoot the dang puck if his life depended on it. He had a hand full of times when he could have shot the puck last night and never even thought about it once. And don't give me the crap that he has all these assists and junk because anybody who knows hockey knows that he only gets the assists when he passes it down and toews, or oshie works their a$$ off to try and get it to duncan to score because they sure can't themselves either. I think Radke should definitely be playing tonight and Lee should have to sit because Even if Radke gives an odd man rush he's hustling his a$$ off to get back instead of half a$$ing it like lee and somehow ending up behind the net and watching the 4th goal go by with someone right in front of the net.

Do I even watch the games? Yes, I do, and apparently, Hakstol does too and he agrees in my thoughts. When you are the one of the defensive veterans on the team and you arent dressing in huge WCHA games, umm, I think there might be a problem. Heres the thing with Radke: He thinks hes tough and tries to fight, but woops, no fighting in college hockey. He also tries to be an offensive player, ohhh but not so fast, whenever he tries to create in the offensive end, he usually leaves his d partner hanging and an odd-man rush ensues. But other than that I guess I have no problems with him.

Do you remember what Radke did last year to the MSUM player? I believe it was two punches and the player was on the ice bleeding, and your claming this kid cannot fight. Im willing to be that Radke can hold his own with a majority of the players in the league. And I don't see where you get him out of position? He is without a doubt the most vocal defensmen, so if he does get out of position, LIKE ALL D MEN DO, he is on top of it, always skating hard back checking hard into the play and using his diaphram to help his D partner and other players what to do. In my mind a huge leader on the ice. Maybe we saw that tonight with him not being there and the D kinda of looking weak

Do you remember what Radke did last year to the MSUM player? I believe it was two punches and the player was on the ice bleeding, and your claming this kid cannot fight. Im willing to be that Radke can hold his own with a majority of the players in the league. And I don't see where you get him out of position? He is without a doubt the most vocal defensmen, so if he does get out of position, LIKE ALL D MEN DO, he is on top of it, always skating hard back checking hard into the play and using his diaphram to help his D partner and other players what to do. In my mind a huge leader on the ice. Maybe we saw that tonight with him not being there and the D kinda of looking weak

Couldn't agree with you anymore on Radke. LEE SHOULD SIT!!!!!!!!!

The funny part is we all think that they all hang out together. laugh. have a good time. Yet really, their college students! Half of them maybe only talk at practice and game times? And maybe in the past years (players) is wasn't like this. But who knows! But the fact that someone saw the two teamates at the same place, yet they didn't even go together or recognize each other(as the way sioux yeah yeah put it above), seems odd. This could be a classic example of why the team is not clicking...... Friends hang out with friends, you tend to find out alot about a person. But you say they didnt even go together? Sounds like a candy bar in 100 degree heat to me! They just dont mix.... Talent is talent but if you dont mix with the others on the ice it ain't shet! Herb brooks could patch all this up! s&!t! :angry:

Actually, and I know this is way off topic of the game thread, but the team DOES hang out together. They're all friends off the ice. The freshman all live in the same dorm and are roommates. The upperclassmen usually get houses together, other than a select few who choose to not do that. And they usually study together too. So yeah, just commenting back on that.

But anyways, this is a game thread, so yeah. Hopin for a win tonight. GO FIGHTING SIOUX!!!

Ok, after removing the rose tinted glasses, having slept on it and with clear thought and as little emotion as possible, I have come to the following conclusion.

Other than Ryan Duncan and Robbie Bina, the 2006-2007 Fighting Sioux Hockey team sucks. I still love them, still cheer for them, still wear our colors and know that without a doubt we have the most talented individual hockey players in the WCHA, our team still sucks. :angry:

Here's hoping they start playing up to their potential every period of every game as a team.

I agree with most of this, but don't think we are the most individually talented team in the WCHA. The only reason 90% of Sioux fans believe that is because of what they read. I have found that most Sioux fans have a hard time saying anything bad about the individual players. It's unheard of to say a guy like Toews isn't playing worth a damn. In fact, that normally sends out the Calvary in full force.

Out of the big 3 (Toews, Oshie and Lee), Oshie is the only player that really impresses me with his skill level and his relentless effort. Admittedly, in the world of hockey, I'm a nobody. I realize NHL scouts have Toews pegged as a stud and I am clearly over my head with evaluating talent. That said, I still don't think Toews and Lee are anything special out on the ice from what I have seen. I'd take Ryan Duncan any day over Jon Toews at the college level.

Here's a perfect example. Earlier in the year, there was a thread that discussed Joe Finley. Somebody mentioned that Finley wasn't that good, etc. Some Sioux fans blasted the guy and dared him to say that to "Big Joe's" face. What, is Finley going to beat a guy up over criticism? People like Finley because of his size. As an overall player, he is below average and doesn't come close to keeping up with the Sioux defensemen of years past.

Like you, I still LOVE the Sioux and support them. I watch/listen to every game and bleed green. I just don't believe all the hype associated with some players. Toews and Lee are good players and one day might be great NHL guys. Right now though, I'm not all that impressed.

Each and every single Sioux player gets my full support and admiration. I'm not blind though.

I agree with most of this, but don't think we are the most individually talented team in the WCHA. The only reason 90% of Sioux fans believe that is because of what they read. I have found that most Sioux fans have a hard time saying anything bad about the individual players. It's unheard of to say a guy like Toews isn't playing worth a damn. In fact, that normally sends out the Calvary in full force.

Out of the big 3 (Toews, Oshie and Lee), Oshie is the only player that really impresses me with his skill level and his relentless effort. Admittedly, in the world of hockey, I'm a nobody. I realize NHL scouts have Toews pegged as a stud and I am clearly over my head with evaluating talent. That said, I still don't think Toews and Lee are anything special out on the ice from what I have seen. I'd take Ryan Duncan any day over Jon Toews at the college level.

Here's a perfect example. Earlier in the year, there was a thread that discussed Joe Finley. Somebody mentioned that Finley wasn't that good, etc. Some Sioux fans blasted the guy and dared him to say that to "Big Joe's" face. What, is Finley going to beat a guy up over criticism? People like Finley because of his size. As an overall player, he is below average and doesn't come close to keeping up with the Sioux defensemen of years past.

Like you, I still LOVE the Sioux and support them. I watch/listen to every game and bleed green. I just don't believe all the hype associated with some players. Toews and Lee are good players and one day might be great NHL guys. Right now though, I'm not all that impressed.

Each and every single Sioux player gets my full support and admiration. I'm not blind though.

I agree with you that Toews is not playing to the level that he's capable of right now. If I remember correctly, the same thing happened last year. When he returned from the World Juniors, he tore up the league. I'm hoping the same thing happens this year. I guess you could say that I'm passively optimistic about the remainder of the season for Jon. Hopefully he turns it around. Why has he struggled thus far? Your guess is as good as mine. I'm sure he is facing the other teams best defenseman and defensive forwards, but good players find a way to fight through that. Maybe North Dakota's system isn't the best system for Toews individual talents. Like I said, I don't know why. I do know that he excelled the latter part of last year and I'm hoping to see the same this year.

As for Oshie, you continue to see his work effort but he hasn't been finishing like he did last year. I'm sure everyone's cued into him as well, however, with Oshie, he's still finding ways to get opportunities, he just hasn't had a lot of luck. He has had a hand injury so I'm sure that has had some type of effect on him. Hopefully, he'll be 100% very soon.

I still think Lee is better than what a lot of people have been giving him credit for on this board. He has made some mistakes, I won't deny that, but so has everyone else on this team. No, I don't think Lee's ready for the NHL yet, which is why he's still in college. However, I think a lot of people will be missing him after he does leave, because I do think he'll make the necessary improvements and become a true asset to North Dakota. With that being said, I watched last night game along with everyone else, and saw him make a handful of mistakes, and yes, it was agonizing and I was yelling at the TV, but I still think he'll make the improvements he needs to make.

With all that being said, Duncan is a fun one to watch play. I thought the article in the paper was very appropriate for him. He doesn't get a lot of attention from opposing teams, but I have a feeling he'll start getting that attention. He has been the most consistent player for our team this year. Anyone who watched the last half of last season knew that he'd be a force this year, and he definitely hasn't disappointed. Kudos Ryan!!!

I refuse to blame any one player on this team. Hockey is and always will be a team sport. Individuals make mistakes, that's part of it. It's up to teammates to step in and help out when necessary. Goalies need to make the first stop and the other players have to be there to prevent rebound goals. Whatever the problems are on this team, they need to figure it out quick or we'll be watching our team lose a lot of games in the next few months. However, even if that will happen, I'll still be bleeding green. Go Sioux!

It should be on our coaching staff to bring these guys along. A major part of Blais' success was the fact that if you had talent and came to UND you would leave playing like a NHL hockey player. This was common knowledge among hockey players. If you needed to get jacked up to perform, that's what happened. That's how he got major talent to come here before our state of the art facility. Now, if things don't change it looks like players will leave here having regressed during their time here. The coaches need to pick it up. Also - how we got stuck holding the bag with the worst goaltending stats in the WCHA is beyond me.

They should have taken Finley out, why sit radke who is the teams best skating and best puckhandling defenseman (Chorney is steady and more realiable but Radke is more skilled). I like Genoway at D, he played well from the little i saw and he handles the puck with alot of poise. I only saw about 5 minutes of the game and none of the goals so I can't really comment much on the game but judging from the box score it looks like the Oshie,Porter, Watkins line struggled. Also looks like UND was the better team in the 3rd period, thats usaully a good sign heading into the next game.

What are you smoking - Choney is playing the best of any D right now - he's the quickest, smartest with the puck and plays his position. His only minus is his size, but he is still willing to be physical when needed.

Chorney will be playing in the show before Radke, no doubt about it.

What are you smoking - Choney is playing the best of any D right now - he's the quickest, smartest with the puck and plays his position. His only minus is his size, but he is still willing to be physical when needed.

What is the teams smoking? :angry: jk

Ill give you credit that Chorney is playing the best of his career right now, it seems to have changed since he got that goal against CC, not saying he was playing bad, but when he hit that post, it was like he hit a new step in his career. But Radke is without a doubt the second best defensemen on this team. Followed by Chay/Bina/Lee, Jones, and Finley. I don't see how you can say that Radke should sit before any of those other players, especially Lee, Jones and Finley. I don't think Chay should be a D, though he has a great shot, he is so quick that he is better as an offensive player crashing the net. IMO

Radke was right where he should be, sitting as far away from the ice as possible.

IMO opinion radke is one of our best defensemen.

Radke isn't the problem. #22 is the problem.

I totally agree with you. Lee is our worst defensemen by far.

Please bench Zach Jones for tomorrows game.

I don't like Finley one bit.

They should have taken Finley out, why sit radke who is the teams best skating and best puckhandling defenseman?

this stuff is hilarious.

Ill give you credit that Chorney is playing the best of his career right now, it seems to have changed since he got that goal against CC, not saying he was playing bad, but when he hit that post, it was like he hit a new step in his career. But Radke is without a doubt the second best defensemen on this team. Followed by Chay/Bina/Lee, Jones, and Finley. I don't see how you can say that Radke should sit before any of those other players, especially Lee, Jones and Finley. I don't think Chay should be a D, though he has a great shot, he is so quick that he is better as an offensive player crashing the net. IMO

I think Chay was awesome last night in the game, this kid reminds me of Jason Blake only more defensive. I think in time he is going to have a two point night every night. Chay got two points and played a big game. Duncan is doing really well, it

Finley's play??

I think he is the softest 6'7" player in the league. I don't think he is the worst defender this side of the mississippi but he has a lot of work to do. I am sure he is a nice kid but maybe a trip to the stands with his suit and coke might be a good place for him tonight would be good for him too. In Blaiser's day trips to the stands or sitting on the bench were common place.

I think in Finley's defense he has tried to play in control because we was getting tagged for the B.S. ticky tacky penatlies that they hand out in this league( You got that one just because you bigger than the other kids and it sucks that kid ran into your elbow during a legal hit). I would rather have him sent to the box for knocking off someone's head than going to the box for a stupid holding penalty.

I don't know what its like in your end of the stands but up in my section the fans are getting restless and have seen enough. This is some crappy hockey. Finely's play has almost become a comedy show because they are starting to laugh at him and make jokes about Finely is on the ice here comes a goal. Its out there and his play is being noticed. I am not so sure I would like to be Hak right now.

agreed, i think we have thrown every d man under the bus somewhere along the lines.

get rid of all of them, play 5 forwards

Won 't work, most of our forwards haven't did a very good job of playing defensively this year either. :angry:

Maybe I am out of line here, but I thought the Sioux dominated 3/4s of that game. Again what is up with the 2nd period? For the number of shots on goal the sioux should have won. Three thing killed the Sioux:

1) Bad goaltending - I just don't get Phil, I though Parise often played good enough to win 1-0 or 11-10. Phil seems to find away to lose. The kicker is his fundamentals are rock solid. All 4 goals he was in perfect position. The one time he was out of position Wisconsin got a post. Unfortuantely despite being in position 3 of the 4 goals went through him. And he was NOT screened on the first goal.

2) Chay Genoway killed us - You are a defender now... He skated the puck into traffic in the offensive end and FUNNY there is a break the other way. He also tried to skate it out of the zone a few times and lost it. Yes he scored a goal, that does not make his performance acceptable.

3) Watkins - Why didn't you look up and pass? Easy goal against a tough team lost, because Watkins played puck hog (though he is fun to watch).

Our D looked very solid on the offensive end, it was fun to watch. Duncan is like a pinball out there. Toews, if your going to miss the net by that much, pass it off. UND hockey hits the net with seconds left, don't screw it up. Lee / Genoway / Jones if your on the ice you skate, they aren't that much faster than you.

Adam just sucks, he isn't anti Sioux or pro Badger, he just sucks and should have been fired long ago (you know before someone is seriously hurt :angry: ). Genoway had his legs pulled out in the open, and then was interfered with leading to goals 3, 4. But the Sioux have to play a full game, and they didn't. The last Sioux penalty that made a 5x3, I seriously have no idea what was called?

Sioux kill WI tonight. Finley "accidentally" rips Adam's head from his body and then uses it for Turkey bowling. All the WCHA rejoices.