SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Aviation Students crash near Crookston

choyt3

This is a tragic loss. i never knew them, but the aviation community is a tight one, and this just hurts to know it happened.

for anyone wondering, in addition to the statement already made that they were not training, they also were not flying in a UND aircraft....it was a privately owned Cessna 172 (or 182, not sure). the university uses piper aircraft.

RIP jake and jake

This is a tragic loss. i never knew them, but the aviation community is a tight one, and this just hurts to know it happened.

for anyone wondering, in addition to the statement already made that they were not training, they also were not flying in a UND aircraft....it was a privately owned Cessna 172 (or 182, not sure). the university uses piper aircraft.

RIP jake and jake

Cessna 172L I did my first solo in it it truely was a sad weekend for not just the local flying community but the entire university

Cessna 172L I did my first solo in it it truely was a sad weekend for not just the local flying community but the entire university

I was wondering if it wasn't the Crookston FBO's 172 they rent out. I know that a lot of aviation students did what these two did to gain more hours because it is cheap (Grand Forks FBO's airplanes aren't as cheap as the Crookston's 172) because I benefitted from it.

The one thing that bugs me is that both were freshmen and one didn't even have his pilot's license yet. I don't know if this has anything to do with why they crashed (more than likely not), but the only reason why I got to go get some hours at Crookston was because I had (still have) a friend who was a flight instructor and he agreed to come along.

The National Transportation Safety Board has released the inital accident report.

Flight was operated in Instrument flight Conditions.

http://ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=CHI07FA032&rpt=p

Its been awhile since I dated a pilot so I dont remember all the language....

For the non-avit majors.....what does that mean???

Its been awhile since I dated a pilot so I dont remember all the language....

For the non-avit majors.....what does that mean???

From what I can gather, the pilot only had his private pilot's license. Which is the very first one that you get. The poor weather conditions made flying instrument conditions... meaning that to be flying in it, you should have had an instrument rating, which he did not. The clouds were at 200 feet and visbility was only 1 mile. Not to try and make any conclusions, but seems like it would be very easy for them to have gotten disoriented in a cloud and not known where they were at.

From what I can gather, the pilot only had his private pilot's license. Which is the very first one that you get. The poor weather conditions made flying instrument conditions... meaning that to be flying in it, you should have had an instrument rating, which he did not. The clouds were at 200 feet and visbility was only 1 mile. Not to try and make any conclusions, but seems like it would be very easy for them to have gotten disoriented in a cloud and not known where they were at.

Thanks! :glare: