SiouxSports.com Forum

Brad Miller

bubble874

THIS I'd have to see. I don't think you could go ONE WEEK without ripping, or inferring disrespect, on a Sioux player. I simply don't think it is possible. Since we're playing an exhibition game this weekend, the week I bet you can't survive is next week when we play UW. They're slumping sufficiently so that their PWR is ranked around that of UMD's. We'll see what happens, no? Or maybe you can one-up me by being positive for two weeks! Doubt it, but I'd like to see it.

Ok, so I haven't seen a post where you haven't done it yet, maybe you are capable, but you choose not to and then label it 'un-biased truth.'

More like 'biased opinion' to me.

I think it would KILL you to admit that, other than turnovers, Finley actually has played well. He's got an excellent +/- rating considering how UND has played over the stretch. Both Lammy and Grieco have similar save% over the season and, yes, I'd say Phil is the better goaltender right now, I've never thrown him under the bus.

"Neutral everyone else" I see that there isn't a single capable player on this team. And you say we've never watched games?

Maybe you aren't meaning what we are interpretting your posts to mean. If that's the case then perhaps you need to reevaluate your writing style and reread everything you post so to make changes to help us "interpret" the posts the way you mean them to be interpretted.

Read my post I listed atleast 10 players whom I respect, 4 that I don't, and the rest I'm not neutral on. He only quoted half of my post.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lives-to... 's presence and posts bring up a philosophical question about the board. Is it only about agreeing with the members of the club, or should someone be allowed to be open with their opinions, even if they're negative? Personally, I'm in favor of people presenting dissenting viewpoints, although I sometimes withhold my negative thoughts in light of the fact that the players on the team are generally good kids in an extremely demanding environment, trying their best.

So I don't mind Lives-to... posting here. I do, however, think some of his/her opinions are completely wrong. He/she lost me when a discussion of Finley included a comment about the coaches likely helping Smaby pack his bags because he was such a liability. Now that's a laugh. With the possible exception of Parise, Smaby was this team's biggest offseason loss. He f'in killed people every game, and that presence does not exist this year. I learned then to take Lives-to... with a grain of salt.

Lives-to... 's presence and posts bring up a philosophical question about the board. Is it only about agreeing with the members of the club, or should someone be allowed to be open with their opinions, even if they're negative? Personally, I'm in favor of people presenting dissenting viewpoints, although I sometimes withhold my negative thoughts in light of the fact that the players on the team are generally good kids in an extremely demanding environment, trying their best.

So I don't mind Lives-to... posting here. I do, however, think some of his/her opinions are completely wrong. He/she lost me when a discussion of Finley included a comment about the coaches likely helping Smaby pack his bags because he was such a liability. Now that's a laugh. With the possible exception of Parise, Smaby was this team's biggest offseason loss. He f'in killed people every game, and that presence does not exist this year. I learned then to take Lives-to... with a grain of salt.

I at first thought what he posts is flat-out ridiculus also and then I actually thought back and although he seems to take it way over board, he makes some interesting points, I think he might need to tone down some of the stuff he says, but I don't mind reading his stuff. I think the key like JK said is take it with a grain of salt.

Great post! You actually beat me to it. :huh: Contrary to some people on this board, I view dissenting opinions as what a message board is all about. If this board is just going to be a lovefest, what differentiates it from GPL? I don't think that there is anything wrong with being critical about the team or players at times, as long as it is done tactfully. I don't agree with a lot of Lives-to's posts, and some opinions are worded a little too strongly for my tastes, but I think that he is entitled to his opinions as long as he does it respectfully and keeping in mind that players and their parents sometimes read these boards.

Brad Miller needs to hit the weights...period. He looks to have great skill with the puck but unless he becomes considerably stronger on his skates, he'll continue to be ineffective against top teams in the WCHA.

Brad Miller was sick for nearly the entire summer. He lost a lot of weight and was unable to work out because he was sick. He has put most of the weight back on, but still is not where he was a year ago.

I think it would KILL you to admit that, other than turnovers, Finley actually has played well.

Other than turnovers? He's a defensemen. If he's turning it over on a consistent basis then he's not playing well, period. That's like saying, "other than stopping the puck our goalies have actually played well."

Other than turnovers? He's a defensemen. If he's turning it over on a consistent basis then he's not playing well, period. That's like saying, "other than stopping the puck our goalies have actually played well."

Bucky, thanks for gracing us with your hockey expertise. Since you are in a sharing mood my question to you would be this: "If you happen to be a goalie and you give up weak goals in the majority of your teams big games (read playoffs) what would that make you? Most people on this site would say it means that you are a "Sieve" but we would love to hear your expert take on that one as well.

Read my post I listed atleast 10 players whom I respect, 4 that I don't, and the rest I'm not neutral on. He only quoted half of my post.

So are you going to try out for the team. It appears that you are a second of third line player? :huh::glare:

Bucky, thanks for gracing us with your hockey expertise. Since you are in a sharing mood my question to you would be this: "If you happen to be a goalie and you give up weak goals in the majority of your teams big games (read playoffs) what would that make you? Most people on this site would say it means that you are a "Sieve" but we would love to hear your expert take on that one as well.

Ding, Ding, Ding...

Hey Sioux habit, Your talking about Briggs, he is a great big Sieve. I see it.

I'm just saying that when talking about a defensemen it doesn't make any sense to say, "other than turnovers he's actually played well." The primary job of a defensemen is to take care of the puck. If we're allowed to ignore turnovers then Chris Harrington would be considered a great defensemen and we know that's not true.

Ding, Ding, Ding...

Hey Sioux habit, Your talking about Briggs, he is a great big Sieve. I see it.

Since Bucky decided to jump right into the debate regarding Finley I thought I would make him feel right at home. My own take on Finley is that he was guilty of some poor judgement that did lead to turnovers earlier in the season. However, I believe that his play has been steadily improving and, from what I could see of him on the internet feed, I thought he had a pretty good weekend against CC. Besides, Finley wasn't expected to be one of this teams defensive leaders. The Sioux need to get their D leadership and more consistent play from two of the other sophomores.

I at first thought what he posts is flat-out ridiculus also and then I actually thought back and although he seems to take it way over board, he makes some interesting points, I think he might need to tone down some of the stuff he says, but I don't mind reading his stuff. I think the key like JK said is take it with a grain of salt.

Two things come to mind when I read his posts:

1) He has a need or desire to have the last word.

2) He doesn't yet know how to disagree without creating animosity.

Maybe that's his youth, though I can't say for certain since I have no idea how old he is.

A few words of advice to him would be to choose his written words more carefully and less confrontationally and not to be afraid to let a dissenting opinion be the final piece of a thread. It's OK. If your points are valid they don't need to be the last points made. They will still be valid regardless of what might be said by others later.

Two things come to mind when I read his posts:

1) He has a need or desire to have the last word.

2) He doesn't yet know how to disagree without creating animosity.

Maybe that's his youth, though I can't say for certain since I have no idea how old he is.

A few words of advice to him would be to choose his written words more carefully and less confrontationally and not to be afraid to let a dissenting opinion be the final piece of a thread. It's OK. If your points are valid they don't need to be the last points made. They will still be valid regardless of what might be said by others later.

If I had to guess I would say Luapsided is alot younger then him. I haven't seen lives start calling people names. Luapsided just doesn't bring anything to the table except insults, I would say he should ban himself if he can't add anything to the discussion. Personnaly I don't mind lives posts because it spices up the arguements and makes them less boring to read.

Since Bucky decided to jump right into the debate regarding Finley I thought I would make him feel right at home. My own take on Finley is that he was guilty of some poor judgement that did lead to turnovers earlier in the season. However, I believe that his play has been steadily improving and, from what I could see of him on the internet feed, I thought he had a pretty good weekend against CC. Besides, Finley wasn't expected to be one of this teams defensive leaders. The Sioux need to get their D leadership and more consistent play from two of the other sophomores.

Finley needs to step up his hitting! make an opponent feel scared to enter the zone, lodge it in their head that 'hey, that Finley guys around and wow his last hit still hurts." Hes how effing tall and needs to take over smaby's role. Hes a good passer, at most times, but I have seen countless number of times(live on the ice) where he has had the chance to crush someone but either doesn't or lets up entirely! Im sorry, when your big, USE IT! obviously hes not the fastest player or the most skilled on the ice, but god forbid he must know how to hit! And to respond to those people who think hitting is not a big part of the game or whatever, well it is and this is a spot where it definitely needs to be stepped up. Get er done Finley!

I know this about miller but I had to squeeze it in

I agree with this.

No one here says Finley's the next defensive genius or whatever. What I'm saying is that he's not worthy of being cut. He's not worthy of benching (though at one point I would have been in agreement on a one game benching) and he's not a bad defenseman.

brianvf is right, though. People forget that it isn't just Finley Lives-to is ripping. Genoway isn't very good because he's only scored against QU and Mankato. Miller's the same way. I suppose Toews sucks because 3 of his goas came against QU. Fabian hasn't hit the scoresheet so I suppose he's a liability. Kaip's not an offensve minded player at all, but he's under the bus for that and probably because he's not Prpich (please. If we go pining for our players to be players from the past we're going to all jump off a cliff because they won't be and there's nothing we can do to change that).

jk- I don't care if he wishes to disagree that the team isn't doing things that they were projected to do early this season. He doesn't have to like everything the Sioux do, but he's constantly throwing people under the bus, making up things that are ridiculous (helping Smaby pack his bags etc.), and generally bringing animosity to the board. I don't think he's a Sioux fan. Why? I'll be DEAD honest. He has the same attitude toward the Sioux that I have towards the Minnesota Twins/Vikings/Wild. The difference is that those pro teams have paid players on them and UND does not. People here know I'm no fan of Minnesota professional sports. However, I don't call myself a fan of those teams either. Maybe he should come to grips that he isn't a Sioux fan and then perhaps what he says could be taken with the same amount of seriousness that posters here take of posts by buckysieve, Slap Shot (although I don't think Slap Shot is half as bad as some here make him out to be), TC_Transplant, etc.

No one here says Finley's the next defensive genius or whatever. What I'm saying is that he's not worthy of being cut. He's not worthy of benching (though at one point I would have been in agreement on a one game benching) and he's not a bad defenseman.

brianvf is right, though. People forget that it isn't just Finley Lives-to is ripping. Genoway isn't very good because he's only scored against QU and Mankato. Miller's the same way. I suppose Toews sucks because 3 of his goas came against QU. Fabian hasn't hit the scoresheet so I suppose he's a liability. Kaip's not an offensve minded player at all, but he's under the bus for that and probably because he's not Prpich (please. If we go pining for our players to be players from the past we're going to all jump off a cliff because they won't be and there's nothing we can do to change that).

jk- I don't care if he wishes to disagree that the team isn't doing things that they were projected to do early this season. He doesn't have to like everything the Sioux do, but he's constantly throwing people under the bus, making up things that are ridiculous (helping Smaby pack his bags etc.), and generally bringing animosity to the board. I don't think he's a Sioux fan. Why? I'll be DEAD honest. He has the same attitude toward the Sioux that I have towards the Minnesota Twins/Vikings/Wild. The difference is that those pro teams have paid players on them and UND does not. People here know I'm no fan of Minnesota professional sports. However, I don't call myself a fan of those teams either. Maybe he should come to grips that he isn't a Sioux fan and then perhaps what he says could be taken with the same amount of seriousness that posters here take of posts by buckysieve, Slap Shot (although I don't think Slap Shot is half as bad as some here make him out to be), TC_Transplant, etc.

I'm not a sioux fan because I call out a few players who are playing poorly? Sorry if I hold my favorite team, a team that I have loved since I was 3 to a higher standard. Also, I am critical of 4 players and if I don't think they are up to snuff, yes I am going to be mad because this is UND not fricken Bemidgi State or Mercyhurst. I expect them to win and I hate when they recruit players that according to you need two years to mature. Or I can't be critical of a goalie that gets lit up because he is 17. Thats BS, I can't stand to see the team losing, if these guys can't take the heat of being in a big time program pack your bags and head to Wayne State. If he needs half of his eligibilty to mature don't recruit him or atleast tell him to take a couple of years in the USHL. If you want to baby these guys thats fine, I'm sorry I don't think UND is a nursary and I'm going to call it like I see it. Sorry if I am disrupting your love fest.

I'm not a sioux fan because I call out a few players who are playing poorly? Sorry if I hold my favorite team, a team that I have loved since I was 3 to a higher standard. Also, I am critical of 4 players and if I don't think they are up to snuff, yes I am going to be mad because this is UND not fricken Bemidgi State or Mercyhurst. I expect them to win and I hate when they recruit players that according to you need two years to mature. Or I can't be critical of a goalie that gets lit up because he is 17. Thats BS, I can't stand to see the team losing, if these guys can't take the heat of being in a big time program pack your bags and head to Wayne State. If he needs half of his eligibilty to mature don't recruit him or atleast tell him to take a couple of years in the USHL. If you want to baby these guys thats fine, I'm sorry I don't think UND is a nursary and I'm going to call it like I see it. Sorry if I am disrupting your love fest.

Gentlemen.......It's a team game.......no one player is going to win us the NCAA Championship!!!

RW77 - please define "throwing someone under the bus"? Just a question but I feel on this board that if you don't agree with the mainstays, that we are the one's that are being "thrown under the bus".

I had a long winded response to this, but I really felt it was too mean spirited so I deleted it after some thought.

The short answer to it is, when players, individually named, constitute the reason why the team is losing. This is a TEAM sport, dude. We win as a team, we lose as a team.

Criticizing a team with the intent that it bugs you and hope things get better is one thing. Criticizing a player with the intent to let everyone know that, the sooner he packs his bags, the better, is another entirely.

Players take time to develop. Especially when players come into a league as good as the WCHA is with the label of 'project' like Finley. He has things to work on and he has shown improvement. Sure, he's not the best and he does make mistakes, but constantly berating him is dissention? No, it is animosity. Then stating it is the "un-biased truth" is quite frankly, unbelievable.

There have been some games this season where I don't think ANYONE should have been happy with the results, but players are getting pooh-pooh'd because they happen to score against teams whose opinion isn't very highly of like they are expected to pass up scoring chances because the team they are playing isn't decent enough to earn them respect? When freshmen and sophomores have the expectations laid upon them that are traditionally reserved for juniors and seniors is fair? When 17 and 18 year olds are expected to play like 22-23 year olds, that's alright?

Dissention is one thing. Animosity is another. I don't care if Lives-to-play or anyone thinks the Sioux are unworthy of praise because there are times they are right. But when all they do is post negative responses and bring about animosity, is that really worthy of respect and our attention? Is that to be valued? If the board thinks it is to be valued, then I'll admit I'm wrong, apologize to all those who are posting stuff like that, and simply stockpile my ignore list so that I don't have to listen to it if I have to, but I'd rather think that Lives to play et al will have something worthwhile to say.