SiouxSports.com Forum

Brad Miller

bubble874

I define "throwing someone under the bus" when you blame an individual or maybe 2 individuals for a TEAM'S problems.

I define "throwing someone under the bus" when you call for a benching of a goaltender DESPITE HIM PLAYING WELL ENOUGH TO WIN THE GAME. Do you know what, Trunk Monkey? If the Gophers score 15 goals on Phil or Anthony, does it really matter, knowing that the Sioux scored 16? Hell! If we win the National Championship game but give up 127 goals in the Frozen Four while doing so, I'm not going to give a ding dong damn about it! Wins get us to the playoffs, not individual stats. I'd rather back a goaltender that wins every game and barely has a .750 save% than back a goaltender that gives up only 1 goal a game but loses every one he's in. PERIOD.

Our team gets younger and younger, bringing players in that, though qualified to play DI hockey academically and believed in by the coach, their peers are finishing up high school and then expecting them to be superstars right away, or at least after a very short time frame! Yeah, if it takes 2 years for certain players to become great, then SO BE IT, just as long as they develop adequately and perform the job in a manner that shows improvement in the eyes of those that matter the most: In this case the players and coaching staff. Gosh, I'd love to see the team bring in superstars every year and play superior to every team but it just isn't possible! We've played hard and, though at times we've looked less than stellar and sometimes even pretty bad, there isn't a single reason why I'd single out a single player on this team!

We've lost games because we've played poorly as a team, not because of 1, 2, or 4 players. A TEAM.

Whenever you blame a player for a TEAM'S problem (not winning and so on), that's throwing a player under the bus.

I may not have been a Sioux supporter since I was 3, but I wasn't planning ways to suggest improvements to the team by means of packing bags and looking at one facet of the game and saying he's bad, he'll never improve, and it really doesn't matter unless you are only being effective against teams I feel are top teams. I support the SIOUX as a TEAM and whether Finley gives away a pass that leads to the game winner or whichever thing that happens, I'm going to support the Sioux and the players. I'm going to support Finley because the coaching staff supports him. I'm going to support Grieco, Kaip, Radke, Lee, Porter, Kozek, Miller, Genoway, etc. because the coaching staff supports them and I don't look at those players in such a manner that, when they step on the ice, I'm only waiting for them to screw up. I look at them and say "Gosh, I wonder what they are going to do RIGHT today!" If you want to look at the bad things only, the bad things become much worse than they are. And negativists ("un-biased truth") are just people who don't deserve much attention because they are incapable, seemingly, of seeing positives in everyone and seeing the big picture.

They are the ones that, around this time, start "Fire Hakstol" threads. They are the ones that suggest that certain players should be cut. Is that a dissenting opinion on the team? No. Dissenting opinion is, for example, saying that the team STINKS in the 2nd period this season and isn't going to go anywhere unless they right the ship. Saying "the Defensive Corps hasn't played very consistently this entire season and I'm tired of it!" And so on. Counting down the days until a player is no longer (or hopefully no longer) with the team with glee is NOT dissention (ok, this wasn't said, per se, but it seems like some would if they could). It is animosity. That's not wanted and if you feel those types of attitudes make you feel like you are being thrown under the bus, then consider yourselves thrown.

For the last time, I said if I remember correctly: Greico is inconsistent and it will cost the team a game down the line. I said this after the SCSU and Mankato Series. And guess what happened? He took a dump on the ice in his very next period. So Yes I was being "negative" but guess what I was right. And instead if you admitting I was right you come back and start saying I'm not a Sioux fan.

Also do you think the fact the Sioux keep recruiting younger and younger players has anything to with the team being inconsistent? Well if you don't you need to wake up. Why did they rush Finley in here? Why not let him play juniors for 2 years? Whats the hurry on Greico? Let him play juniors for a year or two and maybe he would have developt more consistency.

The Sioux are now a "rebuilding team". Why is this exceptable to you guys as Sioux fans? I can't stand it. I hate the gophers and it pains me to say this but the Gophers are now the one's "reloading" . I'm sorry but they would have had a player of Finley or Greico calaber, (if they would have even would have recruited them in the first place) play a year or two of juniors instead of rushing them into the system. A few years ago they offered Ben Gordan a scholorship if he played a few years of juniors. if they would have rushed him in he would have struggled for two years and lost two years of eligibility, instead he played for lincoln and he limited his growing pains. It's sad but true, bringing in 17 year olds is not a good idea unless their name is Jonathon Toews.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMFG!!!!

What the hell is wrong with you people? You are making this forum un-readable!

Nobody cares about your opinion of that guy's opinion!

If I call you an idiot, how does that affect your life?

It shouldn't affect it at all!

Everybody who reads this board can log on and call me an idiot, I don't care, it doesn't affect my life!

Let's move on!

*This post is only a reflection of my thoughts or opinions. If you don't like it, I don't care.

I had a long winded response to this, but I really felt it was too mean spirited so I deleted it after some thought.

The short answer to it is, when players, individually named, constitute the reason why the team is losing. This is a TEAM sport, dude. We win as a team, we lose as a team.

Criticizing a team with the intent that it bugs you and hope things get better is one thing. Criticizing a player with the intent to let everyone know that, the sooner he packs his bags, the better, is another entirely.

Players take time to develop. Especially when players come into a league as good as the WCHA is with the label of 'project' like Finley. He has things to work on and he has shown improvement. Sure, he's not the best and he does make mistakes, but constantly berating him is dissention? No, it is animosity. Then stating it is the "un-biased truth" is quite frankly, unbelievable.

There have been some games this season where I don't think ANYONE should have been happy with the results, but players are getting pooh-pooh'd because they happen to score against teams whose opinion isn't very highly of like they are expected to pass up scoring chances because the team they are playing isn't decent enough to earn them respect? When freshmen and sophomores have the expectations laid upon them that are traditionally reserved for juniors and seniors is fair? When 17 and 18 year olds are expected to play like 22-23 year olds, that's alright?

Dissention is one thing. Animosity is another. I don't care if Lives-to-play or anyone thinks the Sioux are unworthy of praise because there are times they are right. But when all they do is post negative responses and bring about animosity, is that really worthy of respect and our attention? Is that to be valued? If the board thinks it is to be valued, then I'll admit I'm wrong, apologize to all those who are posting stuff like that, and simply stockpile my ignore list so that I don't have to listen to it if I have to, but I'd rather think that Lives to play et al will have something worthwhile to say.

That is a very long short answer. :huh:

The Sioux are now a "rebuilding team".

I normally wait until the end of the season to make that call. But that's just me.

I'm sure that plenty of people were saying the same thing during the rough stretches from the last few seasons. But it seems that the Hakstol-led teams really turn it on at the end, so I'm willing to wait to see how it pans out rather than call it a "rebuilding year" after just 14 games.

Maybe Lives To Scorn could try a different approach than throwing players under the bus,present and former. Nobodys perfect, if you don't like something don't be afraid to express it just don't be so vile in doing it (example: I wish Finley would be more Physical or the defense would break out of their zone better)

Someone else posted that these players are very young and they will make mistakes,what they do from there is the key. The WCHA has always been a JR. and SR. league. :glare::huh:

For the last time, I said if I remember correctly: Greico is inconsistent and it will cost the team a game down the line. I said this after the SCSU and Mankato Series. And guess what happened? He took a dump on the ice in his very next period. So Yes I was being "negative" but guess what I was right. And instead if you admitting I was right you come back and start saying I'm not a Sioux fan.

I don't know. Maybe I was too busy being impressed by Grieco's performance vs. SCSU. I mean, only allowing 3 goals the entire weekend. I also remember his record was 3-0-1 after the SCSU weekend. But I'll be remiss if I didn't admit that Grieco would at least lose one in the near future because he is human and can't possibly win them all. JPar didn't win them all, Phil didn't, Goehring didn't, Belfour didn't, and so on. So you got me there.

Also do you think the fact the Sioux keep recruiting younger and younger players has anything to with the team being inconsistent? Well if you don't you need to wake up. Why did they rush Finley in here? Why not let him play juniors for 2 years? Whats the hurry on Greico? Let him play juniors for a year or two and maybe he would have developt more consistency.
I do, but you are the one that thinks that tese players should be benched because of it, or in certain cases, have their bags packed for them if and when you think they've not done anything for the team. Unlike you, I take the team we've got and root for them until the season is over. Then I reflect back and say "you know what, this didn't work out." If you want me to say you were right about something, you'll have to wait until late April or May. I'm not disrespecting any player until they've had a bad season under their belt. Finley was a late addition because Smaby left early somewhat late in the summer. Though I doubt there'd be any reason I could tell you as to why they were brought in when they were that would satisfy you.

The Sioux are now a "rebuilding team". Why is this exceptable to you guys as Sioux fans? I can't stand it. I hate the gophers and it pains me to say this but the Gophers are now the one's "reloading" . I'm sorry but they would have had a player of Finley or Greico calaber, (if they would have even would have recruited them in the first place) play a year or two of juniors instead of rushing them into the system. A few years ago they offered Ben Gordan a scholorship if he played a few years of juniors. if they would have rushed him in he would have struggled for two years and lost two years of eligibility, instead he played for lincoln and he limited his growing pains. It's sad but true, bringing in 17 year olds is not a good idea unless their name is Jonathon Toews.

I'll call them a rebuilding team after the year is done. Until then, I'll call them MY team and root for every player every game regardless of mistakes, age of players, or results.

I'm done arguing with you as well, but I will make a few admissions:

1. I should not have told you, nor implied thus, that you aren't welcome here or that you are not a Sioux fan. For that, I apologize.

2. You are wrong, in my opinion, but that doesn't mean you cannot be correct. I doubt we'll ever agree on anything so perhaps we'll have to agree to disagree.

Please forgive me if I don't respond to many more of your posts, even if you respond to this one. I've expended all my energy on this topic and I don't think there needs to be any more on it. And I'm not sure the rest of the board posters care too much for it either.

For your information, Finley was recruited by the Gophers as well. He was choosing between the Sioux and the Gophers last year and decided on the Sioux. I am not sure if it was because North Dakota was going to bring him in right a way or not but the Gophers did recruit and offer him a scholarship. Also Ben Gordon went to the Gophers straight from high school if I recall correctly and the only time he played juniors was before and after the high school season.

For your information, Finley was recruited by the Gophers as well. He was choosing between the Sioux and the Gophers last year and decided on the Sioux. I am not sure if it was because North Dakota was going to bring him in right a way or not but the Gophers did recruit and offer him a scholarship. Also Ben Gordon went to the Gophers straight from high school if I recall correctly and the only time he played juniors was before and after the high school season.

Well in this case you didn't recall correctly.

13 Gordon, Ben F 44 9 19 28

The point is if finley would have played a year or to in the U-show he wouldn't be experiancing as many growing pains as we are seeing now. The gophs have their players developt and the sioux rush them in. This pains me as a fan and I would like to see this changed.

I normally wait until the end of the season to make that call. But that's just me.

I'm sure that plenty of people were saying the same thing during the rough stretches from the last few seasons. But it seems that the Hakstol-led teams really turn it on at the end, so I'm willing to wait to see how it pans out rather than call it a "rebuilding year" after just 14 games.

very GOOD point, nothing is known in december as there are WAY to many games left!

Well in this case you didn't recall correctly.

13 Gordon, Ben F 44 9 19 28

The point is if finley would have played a year or to in the U-show he wouldn't be experiancing as many growing pains as we are seeing now. The gophs have their players developt and the sioux rush them in. This pains me as a fan and I would like to see this changed.

you should have applied for the assistant coach job :huh: or maybe you did :glare: finley is a project, i will say that..i still think he will end up being a solid d man at UND. lets just hope it starts sooner rather than later

The gophs have their players developt and the sioux rush them in.

Some players need to have time developing in junior leagues, others don't.

I am glad that the Sioux brought in Toews and Oshie early. Same with Parise. And Stafford. Etc.

The Gophers are in the same boat with Kessel, Johnson, etc.

Looking at all the Sioux players that have spent a few years in the BCHL, it seems like they rarely have a player (that isn't viewed as an "elite" player) come in without going to juniors first. Even Travis Zajac dominated a year (or two, was it?) in the BCHL before coming to UND.

There are exceptions to the rule, like Forney, Grieco, and Finley. But all 3 of them have shown tremendous potential, so I won't complain.

Some players need to have time developing in junior leagues, others don't.

I am glad that the Sioux brought in Toews and Oshie early. Same with Parise. And Stafford. Etc.

The Gophers are in the same boat with Kessel, Johnson, etc.

Looking at all the Sioux players that have spent a few years in the BCHL, it seems like they rarely have a player (that isn't viewed as an "elite" player) come in without going to juniors first. Even Travis Zajac dominated a year (or two, was it?) in the BCHL before coming to UND.

There are exceptions to the rule, like Forney, Grieco, and Finley. But all 3 of them have shown tremendous potential, so I won't complain.

Grieco didn't come directly from High School and, to an extent, neither did Finley. Both spent at least one year in Junior A. Grieco with the OPJAHL and Finley in the USHL, of course, both were completing their senior years while playing with those teams. On this team, the only players that came directly from high school were Forney, Oshie, Toews, Lee, Chorney, and I think that's it. A large portion of our SSM crowd come directly from High School like Stafford, Parise, and Smaby (aside from those already mentioned).

I agree about the potential. I guess some are willing to watch them grow and others expect them to dominate out of the starting gate.

Grieco didn't come directly from High School and, to an extent, neither did Finley. Both spent at least one year in Junior A. Grieco with the OPJAHL and Finley in the USHL, of course, both were completing their senior years while playing with those teams.

Yeah, that's more what I was referring to, was that their ages were that of a HS senior.

I agree about the potential. I guess some are willing to watch them grow and others expect them to dominate out of the starting gate.

:huh:

Who cares if Lives continually tears on certain players. Is he not allowed to have an opinion, even if it is negative? I agree with some things he says (regarding Finley) and I disagree with others (that he respects Radke's play. Frankly, I think Kyle Radke is the sorriest excuse of a player that I've ever seen, but thats just me). But either way, I'm not gonna whine and bitch about him not seeing the bright side of things. Everyone should quit pouting about his negativity and just accept what he's saying.

Who cares if Lives continually tears on certain players. Is he not allowed to have an opinion, even if it is negative? I agree with some things he says (regarding Finley) and I disagree with others (that he respects Radke's play. Frankly, I think Kyle Radke is the sorriest excuse of a player that I've ever seen, but thats just me). But either way, I'm not gonna whine and bitch about him not seeing the bright side of things. Everyone should quit pouting about his negativity and just accept what he's saying.

:huh: good point.....................it is a message board and it would be boring as hell if we all agreed on everything :glare:

Lives to Be 6 lost all credability with me when he rips Smaby. If he/she actually watched ANY Sioux hockey over the past few years he/she would realize what a force that guy was. He brought a physical presence that is missing so far this year.

And please don't respond with the one bad play against BC in the Frozen Four.

I have no problem with opinions posted on this board, only the stupid ones. :huh:

The gophs have their players developt and the sioux rush them in.

I think you responded to a comment I made about Genoway with something along the lines of "am I the only one who watches games around here". And here you pretty much have me asking the same thing.

Lives to Be 6 lost all credability with me when he rips Smaby. If he/she actually watched ANY Sioux hockey over the past few years he/she would realize what a force that guy was. He brought a physical presence that is missing so far this year.

And please don't respond with the one bad play against BC in the Frozen Four.

I have no problem with opinions posted on this board, only the stupid ones. :silly:

Smaby was not a force his entire Sioux career. Most of the year last year, yes. But he struggled most of both his freshman and sophomore seasons. Maybe that was only at the home games, though???

Mike Commodore struggled his freshman year and part way into his sophomore season.

Matt Greene struggled his freshman year and for a bit into his sophomore season.

Joe Finley struggled as a freshman but showed some grit down the stretch, and thus far into his sophomore season, to say he isn't struggling is not facing reality. That being said, this year is far from over and he has some time to turn it around. His situation certainly isn't unique to followers of the Sioux program.

I think you responded to a comment I made about Genoway with something along the lines of "am I the only one who watches games around here". And here you pretty much have me asking the same thing.

huh? you might need to explain it better, you quoted my post about The sioux rushing players in and then said I'm asking you the same thing.?.?.? How am I asking the same thing if I didn't ask anything?

Smaby was not a force his entire Sioux career. Most of the year last year, yes. But he struggled most of both his freshman and sophomore seasons. Maybe that was only at the home games, though???

Mike Commodore struggled his freshman year and part way into his sophomore season.

Matt Greene struggled his freshman year and for a bit into his sophomore season.

Joe Finley struggled as a freshman but showed some grit down the stretch, and thus far into his sophomore season, to say he isn't struggling is not facing reality. That being said, this year is far from over and he has some time to turn it around. His situation certainly isn't unique to followers of the Sioux program.

This is what I've been saying all along. However, you said it better than I. Thanks. :huh:

Nope, still don't get it. What does this "The gophs have their players develop and the sioux rush them in." have anything to me asking you something?

I can't believe I need to explain this... :silly:

Are you really serious that MN develops players but UND doesn't? If you really believe that, I have to ask "am I the only one who sees games around here?".