SiouxSports.com Forum

Which Sioux to Juniors

Greybeard

If either the US or Canadian team gets bumped before the WJC championship game, would those players return early, or do they all stay through the completion of the tournament?

A couple of things. MTU doesn't seem to be playing like a doormat. A shorthanded Sioux team will need to be on top of their game to take necessary points at home from them.

It would appear that the Sioux could really use some talented guys to step up a notch over the next 5 weeks or so. If guys like Miller, Forney and Kozek could be effective on a top 2 line that would really help round things out when Toews is missing. If Forney could make the jump to the 2nd line effectively, we could be alright. I like leaving Kozek and VandeVelde together if they are playing so well as a checking line. The points they prevent the other team's top line from scoring are as important as what they might score on their own. I'd like to leave Miller on that line since they've been effective, but thought his scoring potential on that top line (we witnessed it in Mankato) might be a priority. It would be interesting to see how Forney reacts on a line expected to produce. So far he's played on bottom lines with other freshmen. Put out there with a couple of cycling studs like Porter and Watkins it would be interesting to see how he fits in.

Duncan/Oshie/Miller

Porter/Watkins/Forney

Zajac/VandeVelde/Kozek

Fabian/Kaip/Bishop/Martens

If either the US or Canadian team gets bumped before the WJC championship game, would those players return early, or do they all stay through the completion of the tournament?

A couple of things. MTU doesn't seem to be playing like a doormat. A shorthanded Sioux team will need to be on top of their game to take necessary points at home from them.

It would appear that the Sioux could really use some talented guys to step up a notch over the next 5 weeks or so. If guys like Miller, Forney and Kozek could be effective on a top 2 line that would really help round things out when Toews is missing. If Forney could make the jump to the 2nd line effectively, we could be alright. I like leaving Kozek and VandeVelde together if they are playing so well as a checking line. The points they prevent the other team's top line from scoring are as important as what they might score on their own. I'd like to leave Miller on that line since they've been effective, but thought his scoring potential on that top line (we witnessed it in Mankato) might be a priority. It would be interesting to see how Forney reacts on a line expected to produce. So far he's played on bottom lines with other freshmen. Put out there with a couple of cycling studs like Porter and Watkins it would be interesting to see how he fits in.

Duncan/Oshie/Miller

Porter/Watkins/Forney

Zajac/VandeVelde/Kozek

Fabian/Kaip/Bishop/Martens

Looks good to me,lets line them up and drop the puck. I like Bishops game I wish he could see more ice time.

I think the 3rd place game and the relegation pool are only a day or two before the final. But I think Canada will at least make the quarters. :silly:

Just wanted to address the impact of the WJC on the Sioux schedule.

December 8-9 UND, with a full squad, hosts Wisconsin.

December 10 Canadian Junior Camp opens; Toews trades his Sioux logo for the Maple Leaf.

December 15-16 UND, without Toews, hosts MTU. Will UND's presumed US Junior Team members be available? I think so, but am not sure when the players report.

December ?? US players report to the US team. Chorney and Lee will likely be on the team.

December 26 WJC begins in Sweden.

December 29-30 Dartmouth tournament; Sioux without Toews, Lee and Chorney.

January 5 WJC gold medal game

January 5-6 UND, still without Toews, Lee and Chorney, visits CC.

January 12-13 UAA visits a fully-equipped UND team.

---------------------------------

Assuming Lee and Chorney make the US team, and Toews the Canadian team, what will the Sioux look like in their absence?

Defense: Radke, Bina, Jones, Finley, Foyt, Genoway

Forwards: If Genoway moves to defense, then you need to replace Toews and Genoway from their line, leaving only Duncan. I assume you pair Oshie and Duncan, and let the rest fall into place after that.

It's interesting to look at UMinn's schedule over the same time period.

They play at MTech on 12/8-9, host their own tournament vs. Ala-Hunstville/Ferris/UMass on 12/29-30 and have a away/home series with Mankato on 1/5-7.

It looks like they set up a good schedule around the WJT - should we be doing the same?

It's interesting to look at UMinn's schedule over the same time period.

They play at MTech on 12/8-9, host their own tournament vs. Ala-Hunstville/Ferris/UMass on 12/29-30 and have a away/home series with Mankato on 1/5-7.

It looks like they set up a good schedule around the WJT - should we be doing the same?

teams don't choose their conference schedule... but they do have a weak tournament. keep in mind, we too have a weak tournament, play a normall weak mtu and then finish it off with cc.

teams don't choose their conference schedule... but they do have a weak tournament. keep in mind, we too have a weak tournament, play a normall weak mtu and then finish it off with cc.

I'm sure the teams do have some say on dates - MN obviously requests some Sunday afternoon home games - most teams also schedule around final exams as well.

I'm sure the teams do have some say on dates - MN obviously requests some Sunday afternoon home games - most teams also schedule around final exams as well.

Case in point (and I'm sure the Lucia haters will love this), but Lucia scheduled the second game of Minnesota's home and home with Mankato during the first weekend of January for Sunday the 7th, not Saturday the 6th. The first game of the series is Friday night in Mankato. Lucia said after the Michigan game that the WJC kids would be getting back (assuming the U.S. makes it somewhat deep, which they probably will) on Saturday afternoon and this way would be available to play Sunday night if need be.

I seem to remember from a couple of years back that einstein Bruce McCloud was going to look at the WCHA schedule to avoid punishing the teams that lose players to the WJC. Whatever happened to that? Wasnt it in Blais's last year that we had major issues with the schedule. I dont see where CC doesnt have a tremendous advantage on 1/5 and 6.

I think the 3rd place game and the relegation pool are only a day or two before the final. But I think Canada will at least make the quarters. :silly:

I actually think USA might do better this year and make it to the Championship game...

Also, I believe the selection for the US team is tommorow but I could be wrong.

from brad

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

Team USA will be announced during the Minnesota Wild-Chicago Blackhawks nationally televised game Tuesday night (Versus, GF Channel 69). The forwards will be named during the first intermission and the defensemen and goaltenders during the second. Minnesota players Erik Johnson and Kyle Okposo, both locks to make the team, will be interviewed. UND defensemen Taylor Chorney and Brian Lee are expected to be picked for the second straight year. There are many options for captains on Team USA, but Lee would be the only three-year selection.

I actually think USA might do better this year and make it to the Championship game...

I personally think the US will not do well, and might be lucky to make the elimination round (meaning final 6 teams). I do not think this is a strong US team, and I doubt they will medal. We are especially weak in goal.

Based on my many years of living in Colorado Springs, the only way to see several WJT games in the US was with the NHL Center Ice Package. However, they were typically only showing the TSN coverage of Team Canada's Games. If you don't have Center Ice at home you should at least be able to watch Toews play at your local sports bar. Therefore, with the tournament being in Sweden, plan for lunch at your local sports bar.

Based on my many years of living in Colorado Springs, the only way to see several WJT games in the US was with the NHL Center Ice Package. However, they were typically only showing the TSN coverage of Team Canada's Games. If you don't have Center Ice at home you should at least be able to watch Toews play at your local sports bar. Therefore, with the tournament being in Sweden, plan for lunch at your local sports bar.

A couple of the past WJT, excluding the one in Grand Forks which some of the games were on the ESPN networks, Fox Sports has broadcasted the games. Sometimes on a tape delayed basis, but we have been able to get some of the games.

A couple of the past WJT, excluding the one in Grand Forks which some of the games were on the ESPN networks, Fox Sports has broadcasted the games. Sometimes on a tape delayed basis, but we have been able to get some of the games.

Agreed, there have been intermittent broadcasts of US games live or delayed, and on various channels. To clarify, the only constant over the past several years has been live games on Center Ice.

Agreed, there have been intermittent broadcasts of US games live or delayed, and on various channels. To clarify, the only constant over the past several years has been live games on Center Ice.

I would assume that most of the WJC games this season on will be tape delay or at 100 in the afternoon.

Anyone know if Center Ice does the games in HD?

Select Games only and their HD schedule is at the following link:

http://www.indemand.com/sports/nhl/schedul...lScheduleHD.pdf

As far as there coverage of extra games like the WJT Center Ice doesn't usually list them on their schedule until closer to the game date. Watch for 27 Dec at 1230 Grand Forks time for the matchup between Canada and USA.