SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs CC TIGERS

AZSIOUX

what's sad is that i was scared to come home from a night out with the fiance and see that the Sioux lost AGAIN in hockey, and honestly, after how they have been playin lately, i wouldnt have been surprised. i got a scare, cause when i saw 5-2 i misread the post that saud "5-2 CC" scores and though it said "5-2 CC. scores...." so i thought we got killed even worse tonight. thank god i was wrong. FINALLY a win for UND. we are still gonna be way down on the WCHA points i believe, and prolly drop a spot or 2 in the national polls.

but once again, ITS NOVEMBER. i'll worry if this overall act as of late isnt cleaned up by late march.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely a different game tonight - almost seems even more embarassing that we lost to them last night :D - What ever Hak said to em, he best have recorded it - They had some swagger to em by the 3rd & seemed to be really communicating more - GOOD Game !!! It could have easily been 8-2 or more (we need a few of those too) ...maybe wisco ?

& it showed, when there were things to cheer about, the crowd got into it :lol:

OK, time for my post-game comments again. I was at the game again tonight, and man that was a fun one!!! No idiot Gopher fans, and we were sitting by hockey teams again...

Our team played great tonight! If every game was like that, we'd be on a roll!!

Phil didn't have much to do tonight, but did a pretty good job. The 2nd goal he gave up was pretty weak, but that's the only partially bad thing I have to say about that. Our defense wasn't amazing by any means, but they did a good job against CC tonight clearing the puck outta our zone. So good goaltending tonight, although he didn't face many shots.

Our guys were hittin the CC guys all over the place!! Brian finally realized that hockey's a contact sport lol! I know he's a passive player, but it's still really nice to see him hitting people. Bina had a couple nice hits too. Lots of guys did, it was fun to watch!

Chorney played pretty good tonight, I was impressed! His goal was really nice!! He has a great shot! It seemed like CC was going after Forney every time he came out to play, but he was pretty good tonight. I honestly don't have much to complain about. Everyone seems to be carrying their weight.

I wonder what was said in the locker room before the game, cuz the team seemed really fired up when they came onto the ice!! The crowd could see it too, fun game to be at tonight!! I didn't mind the student section being taken over, although I will love having the regular student section and the band back! The crowd did really good this weekend without the student section cheers and the band playing! They were fun games to be at!!

Now if the Sioux could just play like that the rest of the season, it would be kickass!!! But I'm leaving now, so if you guys have anything to add feel free!!! Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving and a good weekend!!!

GO FIGHTING SIOUX!!!

Lammy never looked comfortable after getting back in the net late after playing the puck in the corner. It was a goal waiting to happen and CC took advantage.

What do you mean he never looked comfortable, he was square to the shot and it got tipped just like the first one. I think any talk of a goalie controversy is completly gone after tonights game.

I had my hands full of raw swedish meatballs so couldn't post or make notes about Hak's postgame comments, but from what I remember here are some tidbits:

Felt that the team had played hard enough lately to get some points even when they didn't but they made mistakes that cost them the game. Tonite he felt the team played hard and pretty much eliminated the mistakes, and that's why they won.

Told the guys after the game to remember what it was "that got them there" meaning, what they did differently that made a difference from last night to tonite.

Said VandeVelde's line was on the CC 1st line all night long. Though VV played very well. He had him on the CC 1st line because VV did the best job on the CC's best center. And not for just 1 or 2 shifts, but all night long.

Said Oshie had a great game, and that he's able to do more of what he's capable of now that his hands are healed up.

Said Zajac played well. Commented on how he's got 4 goals already this season, but he needs to play more consistently game to game.

Feels we're starting to see some chemistry growing on some of the lines. Mentioned that the VandeVelde/Kozek/Miller line has been together for a week now, and of course the top 2 lines.

Hak has always said you learn more from a win than a loss. Hopefully the lessons learned tonite will carry over until the Wisconsin series. I know they have the US team next week, but that would seem an opportunity for guys to take the game a little less seriously.

I was very happy to see that the guys could stay out of the box. They've taken so many penalties it was nice to see them mostly play even up.

It was a great game tonight and it shows the potential and talent this team has. Our depth and freshmen class played well and this is what we need every weekend from here on out. If the defenseman can play like they did tonight it will make things much easier on Lammy and Grieco, CC had only 17 shots on goal. We also didn't take many dumb penalties tonight. As Hak said, hopefully a game like this can be a momentum swing on the season as a whole.

I forgot to add the TH said he talked to Scott Owens after last night's game. Owens told him that the Sioux are a very good team, and everyone will see that before the end of the season, as they start to "put it all together". That's encouraging to hear. Hopefully he wasn't just being nice.

Points tonight for, going back to preseason and recent season poster comments, one player who doesn't belong on a scoring line (Porter), and three players who don't deserve ice time (Watkins, Kozek, and Lee).

Oh, and Finley sucks. :D Thank God Grieco wasn't in. If Grieco would have won this game a few posters here would have had strokes.

GOOD WIN BY THE SIOUX!

I was only able to watch very limited amounts of the game. I came in just in time to hear CC's first goal and then had to turn it off just after Zajac's goal. Then I returned right after CC and UND each sent two players to the box for something (I don't know what) and was able to catch the rest of the game.

UND played good D, evidentally (only allowing 17 shots or so?). They played 60 minutes of hockey, which is KEY.

Who looked good that didn't get any points tonight? My choice is Vandevelde. That guy should have 2 assists at least. Too bad Miller and Kozek couldn't finish.

UW wins via the shutout. WCHA is having an off year, but that's because HEA is having an up year. CCHA still sucks. Michigan was made to look like blue and gold skating nancy-boys by the Gophers. So, really, we have to be careful of Hockey East this year.

Yea those three made me eat crow (although anyone looks good with Toews, Vande made kozek look good and Lee didn't do anything special he wasn't really a big part of either of those goals but he did play better defensivly) With that said all three played the best game i've seen them play in a while so I am off their case.

Lammy made you eat crow (please do thank god greico didn't play I mean he might have pulled an Anchorage blowup and gave the game up early you never know)

I've always had good things to say about Porter who ever says otherwise has minimal hockey knowledge.

I agree with Vande velde being the unsung hero Kozek got a christmas because of Vande velde's presure, also he set up kozek twice and kozek just biffed.

Are saying Finley is good or somthing? Seriously I want to know your opinion of Finley... You talk him up like he is the sioux's go to guy or somthing. I have never in my life seen a WCHA defensman that is that poor of passing and skating skills he didn't make a tape to tape pass to a sioux player tonight he may have made a few to the Tigers but none to the Sioux. The Gophers are sitting over their licking their chops to get after this guy. Barribal and Carmen and all of the other burners will eat him alive.

Just got home from the game and will add a few observations.

1) The team did some good hitting tonight. It was great to see some physical play by most of the team, not just a few.

2) Sioux started ok, not great. But Zajac's goal really lit a fire into them. For long periods the rest of the game they outhustled CC. Occasionally CC would step it up and match the Sioux, but the Sioux just dominated for stretches, especially during the 3 goal outburst. There were times when the first two guys to the loose puck were both Sioux. That is the reason that CC got so many fewer shots. Friday night they were beating the Sioux to the puck in the Sioux zone, and thus more chances.

3) Defense played better, but there were times when guys did not move their feet (especially Lee - he dogged it back into the zone a couple of times after the puck. But he did play better and more physical.). But overall the defense played better with fewer giveaways. Far fewer poke checks and more taking the body off the puck.

4) It looked like last year's TJ out there. A terror all over the ice.

5) Genoway is starting to look like a fit with Toews and Duncan. He did a good job working on cycling the puck in the corner with the other two.

6) Vandevelde is beginning to step it up and not looking like he is dragging lead weights as before. He was a physical force in the middle.

7) Sioux had a number of great setup passes, but just couldn't finish. If they start to finish those, look out.

8) This team needs a few more positive experiences like tonight before they face a team with good speed. They will need to have more confidence and more consistency in knowing what it takes to win.

9) And finally, Schmidt swallowed the whistle. There were penalties on both sides that were let go. It looked like WCHA hockey from a couple of years ago. A lot of CC interference that simply wasn't called, holding the stick, clutching/grabbing, etc.

A fun game to watch!!

Yea those three made me eat crow (although anyone looks good with Toews, Vande made kozek look good and Lee didn't do anything special he wasn't really a big part of either of those goals but he did play better defensivly) With that said all three played the best game i've seen them play in a while so I am off their case.

Nice to see something got you off their case. But hey, Lee's 2 assists still aren't good enough for you, eh? Still, I'll take what I can get. :D

Lammy made you eat crow (please do thank god greico didn't play I mean he might have pulled an Anchorage blowup and gave the game up early you never know)
What's interesting is that you assume that Grieco is incapable of playing as "well" as Lammy played tonight. Of course, anyone who watched the SCSU series knows otherwise.

I've always had good things to say about Porter who ever says otherwise has minimal hockey knowledge.

This criticism (the entire post) wasn't directed solely at any one poster. I never said you said anything negative about Porter. Preseason, people were saying how Porter belonged in one of two spots: 1. On the third line on a good night, or 2. On the fourth night on all other nights. Right now, having watched the games thus far, the WORST night for Porter would put him on the SECOND line. Of course, he'd have to really suck to be placed there.

I agree with Vande velde being the unsung hero Kozek got a christmas because of Vande velde's presure, also he set up kozek twice and kozek just biffed.
Yup. The only thing that could make VV more special is if he scored a few goals. And trust me, the way he's playing, it's a matter of WHEN rather than IF. Forney has serious skills, but limited ice time. Right now, I'd put VV right behind Genoway as most impressive freshman.

Are saying Finley is good or somthing? Seriously I want to know your opinion of Finley... You talk him up like he is the sioux's go to guy or somthing. I have never in my life seen a WCHA defensman that is that poor of passing and skating skills he didn't make a tape to tape pass to a sioux player tonight he may have made a few to the Tigers but none to the Sioux. The Gophers are sitting over their licking their chops to get after this guy. Barribal and Carmen and all of the other burners will eat him alive.

I'm saying Finley isn't bad. He's not the 'go to' guy on D. That is obviously Chorney right now. I'm saying Finley has room to grow as a player and he's growing. Slowly, but surely. I don't think he'll ever be the best D man on the team, but he's not worthy of riding the pine (other than perhaps a brief one game max wakeup call) or being thrown under the bus. Finley's passing will come in time. As it may, passing seems to be a problem area for more than just Finley. Finley did hold the zone and intercept quite a few outlet passes, even if those passes may have just been CC's attempt to clear and/or ice the puck. I'm saying he has VALUE to this team. And I don't see very many people realizing that. For example, a few weeks ago it was mentioned that Finley was a +2 for the game. That was poo-poo'd because people are too fixated with trying to find what Finley did wrong game in and game out. It's like everything he does is bad. THAT IS JUST PLAIN BS. And until people wake up and realize that, though he makes occasional mistakes, he's not THAT bad of a defenseman, I'm going to remind people of that.

Finley was a very reliable defenseman down the stretch late last season, up until the BC game, where our entire defense fell apart. Hakstol was a defenseman who knows what he was talking about as a player and has proven he's competant as a head coach. If Hak doesn't bench him, then I'm not going to call for his benching. I'm a homer like that.

Goaltending was the biggest question mark going into this season and it remains a question mark. Neither goaltender has demonstrated any consistency yet. Since you have decided to attack the freshman goaltender Greico recall that he helped the Sioux get points from St Cloud. Yes he struggles with his rebound control but he doesn't get beat top shelf from dropping quickly. Both Goalies need to work on their game if the Sioux are going to make a playoff run.

I'm saying Finley isn't bad. He's not the 'go to' guy on D. That is obviously Chorney right now. I'm saying Finley has room to grow as a player and he's growing. Slowly, but surely. I don't think he'll ever be the best D man on the team, but he's not worthy of riding the pine (other than perhaps a brief one game max wakeup call) or being thrown under the bus. Finley's passing will come in time. As it may, passing seems to be a problem area for more than just Finley. Finley did hold the zone and intercept quite a few outlet passes, even if those passes may have just been CC's attempt to clear and/or ice the puck. I'm saying he has VALUE to this team. And I don't see very many people realizing that. For example, a few weeks ago it was mentioned that Finley was a +2 for the game. That was poo-poo'd because people are too fixated with trying to find what Finley did wrong game in and game out. It's like everything he does is bad. THAT IS JUST PLAIN BS. And until people wake up and realize that, though he makes occasional mistakes, he's not THAT bad of a defenseman, I'm going to remind people of that.

Finley was a very reliable defenseman down the stretch late last season, up until the BC game, where our entire defense fell apart. Hakstol was a defenseman who knows what he was talking about as a player and has proven he's competant as a head coach. If Hak doesn't bench him, then I'm not going to call for his benching. I'm a homer like that.

I'm curious as to which defensman on the sioux you wouldn't take over Finley? Please indulge me. In my opinion the Defense go in this order.... 1.Chorney (skilled and poised) 2. Radke (probably the most skilled of the defenseman, great ice vision) 3. Jones (Steady, Strong sketer) 4. Bina (Plays ice-cold very few mistakes, plays bigger than his frame) 5. Lee (loads of potential, good skills, inconsistent at times) 6. Foyt (limited veiwing, didnt make blaring mistakes when seen) 7.Finley (good size and can be physical, very weak skills, liability agianst faster or more skilled teams)

I'm curious as to which defensman on the sioux you wouldn't take over Finley? Please indulge me. In my opinion the Defense go in this order.... 1.Chorney (skilled and poised) 2. Radke (probably the most skilled of the defenseman, great ice vision) 3. Jones (Steady, Strong sketer) 4. Bina (Plays ice-cold very few mistakes, plays bigger than his frame) 5. Lee (loads of potential, good skills, inconsistent at times) 6. Foyt (limited veiwing, didnt make blaring mistakes when seen) 7.Finley (good size and can be physical, very weak skills, liability agianst faster or more skilled teams)

I wouldn't take Foyt over Finley. And your post only proves one thing to me: Gosh our D looks like it can be a good one.

I think his skills are just fine. He needs one thing that can't be gotten overnight: maturity. Radke was AWFUL his freshman year, hence, he didn't play much. Smaby, Commodore, and Greene were pretty lackluster as well their first 1.5 seasons.

And if you want to make a case, I'd take Bina and Lee before I took Jones. Jones has a tendency to play the game too emotionally and take untimely penalties. Finley takes untimely penalties for different reasons, most of which is forgetting that he's close to a foot taller than many of the players in the league. Often times, he ends games with a + in the +/- rating, which means that he's not as much of a liability as one would make (more - the number, the more liable that person seems to be). Finley has had 2, yes, just 2 bad games this season, but it really makes no difference whatsoever to you or ABTG or others.

He STILL was reliable last season and finished with less PIM than Smaby and perhaps even Prpich! He still holds a decent +/- rating. And the one overriding factor of them all:

Hakstol and Company still has faith in him.

When Hakstol throws him under the bus, then I'll admit you may have been right. Until then, you'll just have to live with the fact that there are people who root for the Sioux that look at Finley and watch for positives instead of simply waiting for him to screw up.

EDIT: One last thing: UND is a team that historically takes penalties. I just got done watching the 2000 NC game on DVD and I noticed that, at one point, BC had 1 penalty to UND's 5. Penalties are going to happen, regardless of who takes the penalty. What is more worrisome to me is the fact that we have just better than 75% in killing penalties, not whether or not Finley is taking a penalty.

I wouldn't take Foyt over Finley. And your post only proves one thing to me: Gosh our D looks like it can be a good one.

I think his skills are just fine. He needs one thing that can't be gotten overnight: maturity. Radke was AWFUL his freshman year, hence, he didn't play much. Smaby, Commodore, and Greene were pretty lackluster as well their first 1.5 seasons.

And if you want to make a case, I'd take Bina and Lee before I took Jones. Jones has a tendency to play the game too emotionally and take untimely penalties. Finley takes untimely penalties for different reasons, most of which is forgetting that he's close to a foot taller than many of the players in the league. Often times, he ends games with a + in the +/- rating, which means that he's not as much of a liability as one would make (more - the number, the more liable that person seems to be). Finley has had 2, yes, just 2 bad games this season, but it really makes no difference whatsoever to you or ABTG or others.

He STILL was reliable last season and finished with less PIM than Smaby and perhaps even Prpich! He still holds a decent +/- rating. And the one overriding factor of them all:

Hakstol and Company still has faith in him.

When Hakstol throws him under the bus, then I'll admit you may have been right. Until then, you'll just have to live with the fact that there are people who root for the Sioux that look at Finley and watch for positives instead of simply waiting for him to screw up.

EDIT: One last thing: UND is a team that historically takes penalties. I just got done watching the 2000 NC game on DVD and I noticed that, at one point, BC had 1 penalty to UND's 5. Penalties are going to happen, regardless of who takes the penalty. What is more worrisome to me is the fact that we have just better than 75% in killing penalties, not whether or not Finley is taking a penalty.

When did I say anything about him taking penalties? I'm just saying against any of the top teir teams he would be better off on the bench because players on teams like the Michigans the Minnesotas the Boston Colleges the Maines will feast on his poor transitioning skills (I know you see what I'm saying). If I were a gambling man I would say that in the gophers series he will have the worst +/- on the whole team. He just doesn't match up well with fast players, he isn't mobile and he can't clutch and grab like they could in the past. Couple that with the fact that he turns the puck over 80% of the time he touches it and you have a problem against good teams. I don't care what his +/- is agianst Mankato or Michigan tech or Mercyhurst. Try focusing on teams that acctually have a chance at winning something this year. You know he is a liability against those teams. If you don't believe me just wait and let Jay Barribal and Mike Carmen explain it too you when they play the sioux.

Congratulations Joe Finley...

The village fools have now elevated you to a target of whining position previously acheived by:

Hale

Commadore

Greene

Smaby

M. Jones

Schnieder

You've come a long way... :lol::D

When did I say anything about him taking penalties? I'm just saying against any of the top teir teams he would be better off on the bench because players on teams like the Michigans the Minnesotas the Boston Colleges the Maines will feast on his poor transitioning skills (I know you see what I'm saying). If I were a gambling man I would say that in the gophers series he will have the worst +/- on the whole team. He just doesn't match up well with fast players, he isn't mobile and he can't clutch and grab like they could in the past. Couple that with the fact that he turns the puck over 80% of the time he touches it and you have a problem against good teams. I don't care what his +/- is agianst Mankato or Michigan tech or Mercyhurst. Try focusing on teams that acctually have a chance at winning something this year. You know he is a liability against those teams. If you don't believe me just wait and let Jay Barribal and Mike Carmen explain it too you when they play the sioux.

Guess we will find out. At this point I'm guessing:

1. 80% of the time is a gross exaggeration, but I like your style. It is rather convenient to blame our defensive struggles on the shoulders of one man. If that makes you feel better, then so be it.

2. We'll find out how well Finley will fare against UMN because Hakstol sees things closer to my perspective than yours because Finley hasn't been benched yet.

I believe you are wrong about Finley and you are willing to exaggerate and bend things to make him look worse than he is. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this. I'm siding with Hakstol and Company. And so far, Hakstol hasn't benched him and I won't question it.

Congratulations Joe Finley...

The village fools have now elevated you to a target of whining position previously acheived by:

Hale

Commadore

Greene

Smaby

M. Jones

Schnieder

You've come a long way... :lol::D

If this is indeed the case, which I have no doubt it is, then Finley is going to be JUST FINE. ???

I sat in section 108 last night. Although there wasn't a lot of students in attendance, those were the best seats that I have had in a pile of games inside REA. People had a good time over there, they cheered, they stood, they talked to each other. It was the kind of atmosphere that the entire Ralph should have every night that there's a game.

The people around me came to have a good time and it made the game a lot more enjoyable than normal.

The only thing that stunk was the lack of cupholders in the student section. What the heck is the story on that? Do the students not drink pop?

I sat in section 108 last night. Although there wasn't a lot of students in attendance, those were the best seats that I have had in a pile of games inside REA. People had a good time over there, they cheered, they stood, they talked to each other. It was the kind of atmosphere that the entire Ralph should have every night that there's a game.

The people around me came to have a good time and it made the game a lot more enjoyable than normal.

The only thing that stunk was the lack of cupholders in the student section. What the heck is the story on that? Do the students not drink pop?

That is awesome that you had a good time. As to the cupholders, I believe that they took them out due to the belief that the students would break them (don't ask me). The pop comes in bottles so you don't really need a holder and we can't have beer in there so...........

Hopefully with the atmosphere that you described we can keep that up when the students get back.

The pop comes in bottles so you don't really need a holder and we can't have beer in there so...........

Yeah, but they also don't give you the lid, which means that you have to either hold the bottle, or you need to set it on the floor in front of you.........it could easily be spilled.

Having sat in the front row, I know that the cup holders/arm rests are removeable, so perhaps they are concerned with students potentially throwing them on the ice? Just a thought... although, the front row has cup holders... maybe it's just a space issue?

Having sat in the front row, I know that the cup holders/arm rests are removeable, so perhaps they are concerned with students potentially throwing them on the ice? Just a thought... although, the front row has cup holders... maybe it's just a space issue?

I think they got rid of them because during gopher games people had set their dead gophers in them to be ready to throw on the ice. So it was a sanitary thing. :D