SiouxSports.com Forum

2006-2007 ND High School Hockey

ND Pride, nice analysis of GPR.

I live here and there's great hope that the young guns from Bantams will have an impact. The Mohagen kid got some seasoning last year and I expect much more from him this season.

In an earlier post, someone mentioned that the Grafton team was hit with legal troubles. What up with that?

Also, I find it sad that DL will have a good team and possibly may not make State. It still bugs me to no end that there are four guaranteed spots for the West which only ensures that in most years the best eight teams are not at State.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ND Pride, nice analysis of GPR.

I live here and there's great hope that the young guns from Bantams will have an impact. The Mohagen kid got some seasoning last year and I expect much more from him this season.

In an earlier post, someone mentioned that the Grafton team was hit with legal troubles. What up with that?

Also, I find it sad that DL will have a good team and possibly may not make State. It still bugs me to no end that there are four guaranteed spots for the West which only ensures that in most years the best eight teams are not at State.

I heard that Thomas Campbell was selling illegal hair products over the internet.

This has probably already been discussed on here, but I have a nephew at Fargo South who says he has a kid named Tyrel McBain in one of his classes. This floored me, because I heard grumblings of his grandma living in West Fargo, so I could maybe understand him being at that school. Did his whole family move or is he going to have to sit out the transfer period, much like Brett Spooner did a few years back with Grafton.

I have heard, but dont quote me, that he will play junior varsity until january then will be able to play

What about Zach Miller, Ian Powers, or Tyler Klein. Don't you think any of those could be one of the best in the state? Miller really impresses me...

I can see Miller and Klein being a couple of the best all around forwards in the state along with Meland but im not sure about Powers. He might put up a few points, but I doubt he will put up as many as he did last year. We have to remember that he played with two of the top players in the state in Weisgarber and Larson last year.

I can see Miller and Klein being a couple of the best all around forwards in the state along with Meland but im not sure about Powers. He might put up a few points, but I doubt he will put up as many as he did last year. We have to remember that he played with two of the top players in the state in Weisgarber and Larson last year.

Agreed. I'm very interested to see how he produces without those two guys. It's hard to fill in for guys like Paul and Grant...

if powers plays on a line with mcdougall and doeden i am sure they will do just fine and put up some pretty good numbers. if they are split up to even out the top two lines he probably wont score as many points as last year. but he probably will be on the power play which he wasnt last year which will help

if powers plays on a line with mcdougall and doeden i am sure they will do just fine and put up some pretty good numbers. if they are split up to even out the top two lines he probably wont score as many points as last year. but he probably will be on the power play which he wasnt last year which will help

Doeden and mcdougall both see the ice very well and can finish with the best of em so i dont really expect powers numbers to change too much.

The top teams in West, primarily Minot, have laid eggs at the state tournament the last several years. To whine about the West getting a guaranteed four spots and, therefore, the 8 best teams being prohibited from competing at state is sophomoric at best. Even though Minot has choked in state, they routinely have beaten the "best" teams from the east during the regular season. A quick solution to the perceived problem is to divide the East/West into the North/South but then the east whiners would have their panties even more in a bundle because they would have to actually travel away from I-29. Gee, that would be too bad. The NDHSA should have some common sense and expand the number of games that the schools can play. That way, the West could schedule more games with Saskatchewan and Manitoba teams and the east could play more Minnesota teams. Personally, I am certain that the Canadian teams are better competition than the Section 8 teams.

The top teams in West, primarily Minot, have laid eggs at the state tournament the last several years. To whine about the West getting a guaranteed four spots and, therefore, the 8 best teams being prohibited from competing at state is sophomoric at best. Even though Minot has choked in state, they routinely have beaten the "best" teams from the east during the regular season. A quick solution to the perceived problem is to divide the East/West into the North/South but then the east whiners would have their panties even more in a bundle because they would have to actually travel away from I-29. Gee, that would be too bad. The NDHSA should have some common sense and expand the number of games that the schools can play. That way, the West could schedule more games with Saskatchewan and Manitoba teams and the east could play more Minnesota teams. Personally, I am certain that the Canadian teams are better competition than the Section 8 teams.

So your telling me that Minot "routinely beats the best teams in the East?" Who did they beat in the East from last season. How many of those teams made it to the state tournament?

Last year, they lost by one goal to GFC, RR, EGF and Grafton by one goal. The year before, Minot beat all of those teams. The point is that Minot has beaten the best teams from the east on a consistent basis though several years but chokes at state. This defies the line given by one poster that all of the West spots at state are "wasted." During the 80's and early 90's, Minot and Bismarck and, to a lesser extent, even Bottineau fared well at state and against the east. The talent that Minot has had since 93 has been probably higher than the talent in previous years. The east has not leapt so fast in front of the west (Minot/Bismarck) in talent in succeeding years to justify the west's continuing embarrassing performances at state. Top to bottom, the east is for sure better than the west and, perhaps, some of the cause for the west's abysmal performances can be attributed to the top teams in the west playing more games against nascent programs such as Williston, Dickinson and Mandan. But the top teams in the west should have done better at state regardless and it has been a negative mindset, a lack of focus and a continuing self-fulfilling prophecy that has contributed largely to this curious phenomenon. Minot/Bismarck should schedule games with the NOtre Dame Hounds, Carnduff, Bienfait, Brandon, Moose Jaw teams like they used to do. Williston could do the same thing as it is just due south of Regina/Wilcox. The 20 game limit is a joke.

Last year, they lost by one goal to GFC, RR, EGF and Grafton by one goal. The year before, Minot beat all of those teams. The point is that Minot has beaten the best teams from the east on a consistent basis though several years but chokes at state. This defies the line given by one poster that all of the West spots at state are "wasted." During the 80's and early 90's, Minot and Bismarck and, to a lesser extent, even Bottineau fared well at state and against the east. The talent that Minot has had since 93 has been probably higher than the talent in previous years. The east has not leapt so fast in front of the west (Minot/Bismarck) in talent in succeeding years to justify the west's continuing embarrassing performances at state. Top to bottom, the east is for sure better than the west and, perhaps, some of the cause for the west's abysmal performances can be attributed to the top teams in the west playing more games against nascent programs such as Williston, Dickinson and Mandan. But the top teams in the west should have done better at state regardless and it has been a negative mindset, a lack of focus and a continuing self-fulfilling prophecy that has contributed largely to this curious phenomenon. Minot/Bismarck should schedule games with the NOtre Dame Hounds, Carnduff, Bienfait, Brandon, Moose Jaw teams like they used to do. Williston could do the same thing as it is just due south of Regina/Wilcox. The 20 game limit is a joke.

How many games in the past two state tournaments have the West teams won? Last time I checked, the East is 8-0. Sounds like the West's spots in the state tournament are being "wasted" to me.

The 20 game limit is put in place for the purpose of the NDHSAA winter sports season. Hockey competes the same amount as basketball and wrestling. If you stretch the season out to say a 30 game season, you would be carrying over into either the fall or spring seasons, taking away the opportunity for multi sport athletes. Playing 30 games we wouldn't see a Darren Erstad leave this state as a D1 baseball player as well as punter. We also wouldn't have the privelege of watching Zach Elgie from Minot excel in baseball, baskektball, and football. For teenage kids 20 games is just fine, 30 would be overwhelming for many of these kids to balance with school and what not.

How many games in the past two state tournaments have the West teams won? Last time I checked, the East is 8-0. Sounds like the West's spots in the state tournament are being "wasted" to me.

Jeez you're right. They should just completely shut down every single hockey program in the western part of North Dakota. Just end the high school season with the east region tournament. This way the eastern teams wouldn't have to waste their precious time during the regular season or the state tournament playing horrible western teams.... :silly:

Jeez you're right. They should just completely shut down every single hockey program in the western part of North Dakota. Just end the high school season with the east region tournament. This way the eastern teams wouldn't have to waste their precious time during the regular season or the state tournament playing horrible western teams.... :silly:

That would solve things nicely. Thanks for the offer! :)

It always comes down to that. West teams suck, east teams rule. And after that, specific teams emerge. Maybe the West is where to go to root for hockey because they haven't developed any sense of superiority over anything or anyone? It may just be something akin to just, say, a hockey game?

I dunno. But really, Wilbur, when a West team beats an East team (which it will happen sooner or later), it's going to be real difficult not to be glib about it.

Anyways, looking forward to your reports on Minot and the other "wastes" of state tourney space. ???

The west teams and coaches should review this board periodically. It would provide some considerable motivation, in my opinion.

This year the West coaches will need a lot more than this for motivation. Minot is looking to be down and if the rumors are true Hillman is playing for the Bobcats. Rehak will need to be Bobby Orr like for Williston to have a prayer in the first round of state this year.

The 20 game limit is put in place for the purpose of the NDHSAA winter sports season. Hockey competes the same amount as basketball and wrestling. If you stretch the season out to say a 30 game season, you would be carrying over into either the fall or spring seasons, taking away the opportunity for multi sport athletes. Playing 30 games we wouldn't see a Darren Erstad leave this state as a D1 baseball player as well as punter. We also wouldn't have the privelege of watching Zach Elgie from Minot excel in baseball, baskektball, and football. For teenage kids 20 games is just fine, 30 would be overwhelming for many of these kids to balance with school and what not.

The schedule these high schools teams play are ridiculous. Is twenty four games sufficient? We have all been to high school. The homework load is not that terrible. They could play a 40 game schedule without detering from the students studies. I'll just wait for everyone on here to hit me with the issue of cost, but our kids don't improve enough playing 24 games and 6 of those games against teams they will probably win 7-0 or more.

I agree with UND22. When I played HS hockey in the early and mid 80's, we played a lot more than 20 to 24 games and it did not impact any other aspects of school at all. I don't see how scheduling more games would overlap with anything other than indoor track. H.S. baseball does not really start practice until mid-march, if I remember correctly. The state limits games because of costs of travel, meals, ice time, etc rather than because of any concern over non-existent academic stress. The paucity of games is asinine.

I agree with UND22. When I played HS hockey in the early and mid 80's, we played a lot more than 20 to 24 games and it did not impact any other aspects of school at all. I don't see how scheduling more games would overlap with anything other than indoor track. H.S. baseball does not really start practice until mid-march, if I remember correctly. The state limits games because of costs of travel, meals, ice time, etc rather than because of any concern over non-existent academic stress. The paucity of games is asinine.

Chewey how many games did you play back then? A lot more than 20 to 24 in North Dakota high school hockey? In 1985 Grafton played 23 games in the full season and Minot played 24. In 80-81 South played 26 games and North 23. In 79-80- Central played 20 regular season and then another 6 with regions and state. North played 20 as well and then another 5 in region and state.

Taking 04-05 as an example South played 27 games, Red River 26 and Grafton 27. This year South played 27 and Red River played 25. When you consider 17 minute periods you are getting 6 minutes more "game" currently and over a 25 game season that is an increase of 3.3 games. Today a 25 game season is really a 28.3 game season if you compare it to the old standard 15 minute period.

I am not saying that we should not have a few more games, just that there has been some progress. Also, I don't see how North Dakota High School teams were playing a lot more than 20-24 games back in the 80s.

What am I missing that leads you to your conclusion?

The way to change this is to eliminate high school hockey and establish minor midget and major midget teams following USA hockey guidelines and then you can play a lot more games. That is the AAA model used by Shattuck but that level of scheduling would not allow kids in other sports. As long as the high school league governs an activity it will be harder to extend the season due to whatever considerations that the board members deem relevant (costs of an extended season, potential overlap with other sports, etc).

I do agree a few more games would be great, at least to have parity with Minnesota.

NDpride-any chance you can give us an update on the FM Jets preseason and their north dakota players (mihulka,harrie,larson,klenow,halstenson,oakland) and i probably forgot a couple too. but thanks in advance.

I'm no NDPride but I happen to know a few things. The Jets still have 10 players to cut so it's hard to say who will be on the final roster when that is posted. Klenow was cut at the invite tryout, and is not on the preseason roster. I am under the impression Mihulka will be on the final roster (tendered) as will Halstenson and Okland, however the Jets do have three goalies right now. As for Harrie and Larson it's up in the air as their are still players to be cut and I don't think they are cutting any veterans. I'm curious what any of these players will do in the event they are cut because I do not believe they can enroll in any college courses right now and who knows if they want to play Jr. B. I know Klenow is still trying to get on with a Jr. A team but I'm not sure where. Best of luck to all of them.