SiouxSports.com Forum

2006-2007 ND High School Hockey

Ya i think Jamestown will be solid this year, a lot of the seniors playing this year have been playin varsity since they have been sophomores and they also have spenningsby returning who is playing elites. I would predict them to win the west

Jamestowns biggest problem is the penalty box. And with the new rules in place I don't see it getting any better. If they don't realize they can't win on the penalty kill early, I don't see them making a run at the West Region.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jamestowns biggest problem is the penalty box. And with the new rules in place I don't see it getting any better. If they don't realize they can't win on the penalty kill early, I don't see them making a run at the West Region.

Jamestown lossed probably there biggest penalty man, Brett Ritchie, and these new rules are going to effect every team not just Jamestown, i think it will effect the teams of grand forks more, if anyone has ever played grand forks i think they know how cheap they are with there sticks

All the top east teams are what you call cheap with the stick. But also the players on those teams have been playin with these rules all summer long. So I dont see it bein to much of a problem.

I completely disagree. The top teams in the state don't need to use their sticks, because they can skate. So they won't have much trouble adjusting to the new rules. Nic Spenningsby also had a huge number of penalties last season and I think anyone will agree with my Jamestown in general takes lots of penalties. The point is, the teams that can outskate their opponents (South, Red River, Grafton,... whoever else steps up) will be less penalized than the teams in the bottom of the conference. The number of players from each of these high school teams is significantly greater than the number of them that are also playing in the fall leagues.

Top 4 teams in each conference= less effected by new rules

Bottom 4 teams in each conference= more effected by new rules

Reasoning.. Good teams have good skaters and poor teams have poor skaters.

I completely disagree. The top teams in the state don't need to use their sticks, because they can skate. So they won't have much trouble adjusting to the new rules. Nic Spenningsby also had a huge number of penalties last season and I think anyone will agree with my Jamestown in general takes lots of penalties. The point is, the teams that can outskate their opponents (South, Red River, Grafton,... whoever else steps up) will be less penalized than the teams in the bottom of the conference. The number of players from each of these high school teams is significantly greater than the number of them that are also playing in the fall leagues.

Top 4 teams in each conference= less effected by new rules

Bottom 4 teams in each conference= more effected by new rules

Reasoning.. Good teams have good skaters and poor teams have poor skaters.

Ok above they said the players playing elites have been playing with these rules and will be adapted to the change well if this is the case the Nic Spenningsby will be fine because he has been playing elites and i am positive Jamestown will be in the top 4 in there conference and will surprise all you people who say they wont. how can you say the top 4 teams arent as effected they could have just as many penalties as the lower 4 teams but they just have more skill. Jamestown will be one of the better teams in high school hockey this year.

Ok above they said the players playing elites have been playing with these rules and will be adapted to the change well if this is the case the Nic Spenningsby will be fine because he has been playing elites and i am positive Jamestown will be in the top 4 in there conference and will surprise all you people who say they wont. how can you say the top 4 teams arent as effected they could have just as many penalties as the lower 4 teams but they just have more skill. Jamestown will be one of the better teams in high school hockey this year.

Well I am sure Jamestown will do fine in the west. But wont be one of the better teams in the state. Minot will be about all that is coming out of the west put the the number 4 team from the east in the west and they will win the west.

On average, the top four teams in the East and in the West during the 2005-06 hockey season had fewer penalties than the five teams at the bottom. In the East Red River, South, Grafton and West Fargo - had a group average of 14.1 penalty minutes per game. Those in the lower segment of the EDC - Central, North, Shanley, Jamestown and Wahpeton averaged 18.2 penalty minutes per game. In the West Minot, Williston, Devils Lake, and Bismarck High averaged 11.3 penalty minutes per game compared to 12.9 minutes for Hazen, Century, Dickinson, Mandan and Bottineau.

It is certainly true that good teams have better skaters than poor teams and that they theoretically have less need to "cheat" (take penalties, hook, interfere, etc) to be successful. There are other variables, however, that also effect penalties - coaching philosophy, quality of refs, overall style of play, etc. etc.

In the East, the top team in the EDC regular season standings - Red River - averaged 16.0 penalty minutes per game which was the highest of the top four teams. West Fargo (4th in the regular season) was next with 15.8 minutes, Grafton had 13.0 (3rd in regular season standings) and South the number two team in the EDC and eventual state champs averaged 11.6 minutes per game. In the lower half of the regular season EDC number 6 Central averaged 18.4 minutes, North 16.2, Shanley 13.2, Jamestown 20.8, and Wahpeton 22.5 minutes.

As long as I am at it here are the stats for the West in rank order by finish in the regular season: Minot 12.4 minutes, Williston 8.2 minutes, Devils Lake 11.1, Bismarck 13.5, Hazen 13, Century 10.7, Dickinson 13.2, Mandan 17.0, Bottineau 10.4.

If all teams in the state were ranked by lowest average penalty minutes per game here is what we would have: #1 Williston (8.2), #2 Bottineau (10.4), #3 Century (10.7), #4 Devils Lake (11.1), #5 South (11.6), #6 Minot 12.4, #7 tie Grafton (13) and Hazen (13), #8 tie Shanley (13.2) and Dickinson (13.2) #9 Bismarck (13.5), #10 West Fargo (15.8), #11 Red River (16.0), #12 North (16.2), #13 Mandan (17.0), #14 GF Central (18.4), #15 Jamestown (20.8), and #16 Wahpeton (22.5).

Speaking of individuals the most penalized player last year was from Wahpeton. He received 99 minutes in 18 games for a game average of 5.5 minutes. A Jamestown player was second with 52 minutes in 10 games for a 5.2 minute average. Another Jamestown player held down the third spot with an average of 3.63 minutes based on 80 minutes over 22 games. A Bismarck player came in a close fourth with 90 minutes in 27 games for a 3.6 minute average.

There is a lot more that could be added about penalties especially if we had a nice stack of game sheets to analyze. We can see that teams in the East have more penalties, on average, than teams in the West. That obviously does not mean that teams from the West are better. Style of play can explain some of that. Also, I think we might find a lot of frustration penalties (roughing, slashing, fighting, etc) from some teams at the bottom, especially in the East.

The reason that the top 4 teams will be less affected is obvious. Better teams, have better skaters. The better you can skate, the less you need to use your stick. So the bottom half of the conference teams, who previously were able to try and slow down the more skilled players by hooking, tripping, and slashing there opponents will no longer be able to use those tactics. It's really a simple and logical explanation.

I'm not on here to criticize a players style of play. However, last season Spennginsby had a huge amount of penalties. This is before the rule changes. I find it very hard to believe that he completly changed his style of game to adapt to the elite league and the rule changes. Maybe we can get his penalty minutes from elites? The point I was trying to make when someone said that Jamestown graduated there highest penalty minute taker, I wanted to point out that they still have plenty of players who are going to take penalties.

Here it is one last time. The top teams in the conference are better skating teams than the lower half, correct? So ff player A is a better skater than player B, player A will not need to hook or impede the progress of player B because he can outskate player B.

Using the logic that better teams have better skaters so will use their stick less may seem to make sense, but in my opinion that is not always the case. When I played high school hockey, it always seemed that teams in the east used their sticks to hook and slash much more than any team from the west. I think it has more to do with how they are taught to play the game or more so learn to play the game. But I do think players will make the adjustments, it may take half the season but it will be done. I guess the only way to see is to come to a conclusion after games have been played.

Using the logic that better teams have better skaters so will use their stick less may seem to make sense, but in my opinion that is not always the case. When I played high school hockey, it always seemed that teams in the east used their sticks to hook and slash much more than any team from the west. I think it has more to do with how they are taught to play the game or more so learn to play the game. But I do think players will make the adjustments, it may take half the season but it will be done. I guess the only way to see is to come to a conclusion after games have been played.

In all of my years of hockey I have yet to hear a coach teach his player to hook a player that has the puck to slow him down. In fact it has been the exact opposite. "Keep your feet moving, and catch the guy." The comparison of West teams being less penalized than East teams and saying my theory has a flaw there does not correlate. The West teams do not play the East teams during the regular season (very often) so there would be no direct comparison. The way I see it is teams that took a lot of penalties last year are going to be affected much more than the teams that took less penalties.

In all of my years of hockey I have yet to hear a coach teach his player to hook a player that has the puck to slow him down. In fact it has been the exact opposite. "Keep your feet moving, and catch the guy." The comparison of West teams being less penalized than East teams and saying my theory has a flaw there does not correlate. The West teams do not play the East teams during the regular season (very often) so there would be no direct comparison. The way I see it is teams that took a lot of penalties last year are going to be affected much more than the teams that took less penalties.

I agree coach malm never tought us to hook last year.

Have all the teams in the state started tryouts or practices yet?

Minot has started tryouts. And about 26 kids have been picked to go to varsity practices. I imagine that that group will be reduced by the end of next week. JV has not been set yet, but 6 kids will end up being cut. Also, for most all of the tryouts so far the players that play football have not been there.

I didn't mean the coaches taught the players to use the stick. They learned from playing against each other. I also am not saying that these were penalty hooking/slashing at least at the time, but now if it is going to be more aggressively called it could be. I think in the east it was taught to use their feet and skate, but along with it came a little clutch and grab. In the west I think a more physical game was taught (more checking) but with that came use of elbows/crosschecks. This is what I meant, sorry for the confusion. As for everybody saying that east teams are better. They have been, and probably will be for quite some time. For the most part they have many more players to choose from that tryout for the team, which means that have more kids pushing each other for the spots. Another thing I know for Grand Forks at least, they have more chances to get on the ice. I think there is 17 outdoor rinks or something like that in the area, and when there is ice there are kids out there. Another thing is that they play MN teams which is a little higher quality opponents which forces a team to get better or keep losing. West teams do not have that option. I do think the gap has narrowed a little in the last few years, but the west still has a long way to go. Just my $.02

I didn't mean the coaches taught the players to use the stick. They learned from playing against each other. I also am not saying that these were penalty hooking/slashing at least at the time, but now if it is going to be more aggressively called it could be. I think in the east it was taught to use their feet and skate, but along with it came a little clutch and grab. In the west I think a more physical game was taught (more checking) but with that came use of elbows/crosschecks. This is what I meant, sorry for the confusion. As for everybody saying that east teams are better. They have been, and probably will be for quite some time. For the most part they have many more players to choose from that tryout for the team, which means that have more kids pushing each other for the spots. Another thing I know for Grand Forks at least, they have more chances to get on the ice. I think there is 17 outdoor rinks or something like that in the area, and when there is ice there are kids out there. Another thing is that they play MN teams which is a little higher quality opponents which forces a team to get better or keep losing. West teams do not have that option. I do think the gap has narrowed a little in the last few years, but the west still has a long way to go. Just my $.02

The gap has remaind the same. Look at the first round of the State tournament. That's where it counts.

Grafton cut 7 players this year and I think most of them were all seniors. Going to make for a young team this year.

Yeah arent they playing more sophmores then seniors. They will be very good I have heard the sophmores are fitting in really nice. Goalie is the only weakness and its a huge one.