SiouxSports.com Forum

2006-2007 ND High School Hockey

Anyone know anything on how the nd boyz are doin in the elite league.. And who is on the nd starz

I have cut and pasted from the Elite League site the following from the first week.

Here is the link for future reference - http://www.hselitehockey.com/

Week One Summary/Results/Stat Leaders

Justin Johnson leads Elite League scorers in opener

Senior Justin Johnson of Team Wisconsin (Eau Claire North H.S.) led all scorers with six points (two goals, four assists) in three games during the opening weekend of games in the Upper Midwest High School Elite League for high school-aged hockey players.

Great Plains went 2-0-1 to claim the kingbird

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no NDPride but I happen to know a few things. The Jets still have 10 players to cut so it's hard to say who will be on the final roster when that is posted. Klenow was cut at the invite tryout, and is not on the preseason roster. I am under the impression Mihulka will be on the final roster (tendered) as will Halstenson and Okland, however the Jets do have three goalies right now. As for Harrie and Larson it's up in the air as their are still players to be cut and I don't think they are cutting any veterans. I'm curious what any of these players will do in the event they are cut because I do not believe they can enroll in any college courses right now and who knows if they want to play Jr. B. I know Klenow is still trying to get on with a Jr. A team but I'm not sure where. Best of luck to all of them.

Info on the Jets is sparce as no roster is posted on their website and I have not seen any of their pre-season games. Chris Cusey is still in the mix with the Jets and Klenow is not. According to the website the Jets lost both pre-season games but I think it is all about sorting out the roster and not necessarily about winning. Reportedly, the second pre-season game involved all rookies for the Jets and no veterans played. Many of the Jets are enrolled at NDSU part-time but I do not have info on all of them.

We played more than 24 games in the early and mid-eighties. I know because I played in them. Some of the games were so-called scrimmages with teams like Notre Dame and Carnduff, Manitoba and Estevan and even the Billings, MT and Aberdeen, SD city teams. The teams from Canada usually played Minot first and then went to Bismarck to blay BHS and B Cent. at the old Schaumburg (sp?) Arena Notre Dame usually beat Minot 6-2 or 9-2 but Minot and Bismarck did well against the rest. As far as Notre Dame is concerned, it sure helped Minot's players to play against guys the likes of Mitch Messier, Brad Obergavich and Brent Bobyck, Warren Babe as well as others. Many of us who went to the hockey camp in Regina run by Denny Messier (the former head coach of Notre Dame) during the summer played against such players then too.

We played more than 24 games in the early and mid-eighties. I know because I played in them. Some of the games were so-called scrimmages with teams like Notre Dame and Carnduff, Manitoba and Estevan and even the Billings, MT and Aberdeen, SD city teams. The teams from Canada usually played Minot first and then went to Bismarck to blay BHS and B Cent. at the old Schaumburg (sp?) Arena Notre Dame usually beat Minot 6-2 or 9-2 but Minot and Bismarck did well against the rest. As far as Notre Dame is concerned, it sure helped Minot's players to play against guys the likes of Mitch Messier, Brad Obergavich and Brent Bobyck, Warren Babe as well as others. Many of us who went to the hockey camp in Regina run by Denny Messier (the former head coach of Notre Dame) during the summer played against such players then too.

Did these "scrimmages" go on your overall record for the season?

This year the West coaches will need a lot more than this for motivation. Minot is looking to be down and if the rumors are true Hillman is playing for the Bobcats. Rehak will need to be Bobby Orr like for Williston to have a prayer in the first round of state this year.

Bobcats played two pre-season games this weekend. Michael Hillman did not play and was not rostered with them. My understanding is he will be playing for BHS this year.

I am not sure what the rules were on scrimmages back in the 80s but they are regulated more directly now. According to the NDHSAA here is the ruling on scrimmages and number of games (excluding region and state tournaments):

2005-06 Hockey Regulations

1. Practice begins on the date set by the NDHSAA Board and concludes with the state tournament.

2. Individuals must have participated in at least 9 daily practices (counting only one per day) before competing in an interscholastic contest.

3. NEW: One pre-season inter-squad scrimmage can be held prior to the first allowable game. Scrimmages must conform to the definition as found in the Constitution and By-Laws Q&A # 34. Scrimmages held after your first game count as one of the maximum number of games.

4. High school teams may schedule 20 games or 18 games and one invitational tournament.

These parameters would give a team up to 21 regular season games and then another potential 3 in the region tourney and up to 3 more at state. That would total to a max of 27 games. With the 17 minute periods we have today a team that played 27 games would have the equivalent of 30.6 games under the old 15 minute period rule. Actually, when you consider the fall Elite and Elite II league seasons with a 20 game schedule and the spring select season of 6-10 or more games, the top level players have the opportunity to play a season of 56 or more games if they want with the format today. In addition, with the complaints people often have about their coaching staff at the high school level, this split season opportunity with Elite and Select teams provides variation in coaching. Actually we are far better off now, at least for the top tier players in North Dakota, than we were in the 80s. Who wants to play 30-40 games on a high school team that has a lot of weak links. Just another perspective on the issue. Also, with the opportunity for more North Dakota kids to play in the USA Hockey Select Festivals based on the change in selection over the past few years, there are even more opportunities for high level competition.

• 2 weeks later...

On a differant note from everything else in this post, how do you guys think penalties will effect the games this year with the tighter rules of stick use. The refs are being told to call stick penalties very tight and they are being told that when a players stick is off the ice to expect a penalty. I think it will be good for teams with speed because the only option to slow them down is to hook, slash, trip. I've heard in the Elite league that there are many penalties a game for stick work and it seems hard to make the transition to the new rules. On to my question though. Do you think the penalties will cause any upsets because of the amounts of penalties. Teams could run into having a hard time staying out of the box and with having a decent powerplay I think there could be some upsets this year. Although it could go the other way and lead to a blowout also. Just wondering what everyone thinks.

On a differant note from everything else in this post, how do you guys think penalties will effect the games this year with the tighter rules of stick use. The refs are being told to call stick penalties very tight and they are being told that when a players stick is off the ice to expect a penalty. I think it will be good for teams with speed because the only option to slow them down is to hook, slash, trip. I've heard in the Elite league that there are many penalties a game for stick work and it seems hard to make the transition to the new rules. On to my question though. Do you think the penalties will cause any upsets because of the amounts of penalties. Teams could run into having a hard time staying out of the box and with having a decent powerplay I think there could be some upsets this year. Although it could go the other way and lead to a blowout also. Just wondering what everyone thinks.

Yes, I do believe that there could be some upsets due to the new rules, strictly due to the fact that a good/bad penalty kill/power play could really make or break a team. Mind you, I am basing my opinions on what I have seen thus far in the Junior ranks (NAHL), due to the fact that HS hasn't started yet. . . . bear with me, this could be long winded! I am not sure that a lot of the kids, at this level, are skilled enough for these rule changes to truly be effective. Juniors (somewhat), College - DI(definitely), but High School and below. . . not so much. Even bigger than the skill level among players is the skill level/consistency among referees. Some have been calling every little thing (and I do mean EVERY little thing!). . . .to the point that the flow of the game is completely interrupted and the ref is more noticeable than the players on the ice, while others do a great job and still call it tighter, but aren't the main attraction at the game. I think that is part of why the transition to the new rules has been difficult, as the coaches/players never know from one night to the next what they are going to get as far as refereeing goes. There have been a TON of 5 on 3's, which have had a rather dramatic impact on the games. . . even sent some games that seemingly wouldn't have been close into OT or shootouts. If High School goes the way of Juniors, every team best be prepared to spend LOTS of extra time practicing their PP's and PK's, as this year those could be the deciding factor in a lot of games.

Chewey how many games did you play back then? A lot more than 20 to 24 in North Dakota high school hockey? In 1985 Grafton played 23 games in the full season and Minot played 24. In 80-81 South played 26 games and North 23. In 79-80- Central played 20 regular season and then another 6 with regions and state. North played 20 as well and then another 5 in region and state.

Taking 04-05 as an example South played 27 games, Red River 26 and Grafton 27. This year South played 27 and Red River played 25. When you consider 17 minute periods you are getting 6 minutes more "game" currently and over a 25 game season that is an increase of 3.3 games. Today a 25 game season is really a 28.3 game season if you compare it to the old standard 15 minute period.

I am not saying that we should not have a few more games, just that there has been some progress. Also, I don't see how North Dakota High School teams were playing a lot more than 20-24 games back in the 80s.

What am I missing that leads you to your conclusion?

The way to change this is to eliminate high school hockey and establish minor midget and major midget teams following USA hockey guidelines and then you can play a lot more games. That is the AAA model used by Shattuck but that level of scheduling would not allow kids in other sports. As long as the high school league governs an activity it will be harder to extend the season due to whatever considerations that the board members deem relevant (costs of an extended season, potential overlap with other sports, etc).

I do agree a few more games would be great, at least to have parity with Minnesota.

It's called Junior Gold. If you want to play 40+ games @ 20 minute periods, that's the way to go. Last time I checked, Fargo, Minot, and G.F. all have programs. Get the top guys, schedule a competitve season.

I have watched the elites play with the new rules and let me tell you it sucks. Let the kids play whats the point of all this.

I agree to an extent. The NHL changed it's rules to yield more scoring and more fans (more income). I think the level of scoring in high school hockey was just fine. Don't get me wrong I'm not entirely apposed to the new rules, I mean, let the skilled players do their thing. On the other hand, I dont want to see the game get "soft".

It's called Junior Gold. If you want to play 40+ games @ 20 minute periods, that's the way to go. Last time I checked, Fargo, Minot, and G.F. all have programs. Get the top guys, schedule a competitve season.

Minot no longer has a Junior Gold team :)???

About 2 years ago was their last season. And we used to be so good. The number of kids in hockey are on the way up, it apears, though in Minot. :D

Minot no longer has a Junior Gold team :)???

About 2 years ago was their last season. And we used to be so good. The number of kids in hockey are on the way up, it apears, though in Minot. :D

Any word on how players are doing in their respective elite leagues?

Sorry, I have no idea how the elite teams have done.

As for Junior Gold. In Minot I don't think the team ever had the talent that varsity High School has had but I think in their heyday they would have beat the JV team pretty handily. Junior Gold played a pile of games. They, of course, had league games but they also played in turnaments. I know they went to South Dakota for a turnament. I think they also played Canadian teams. Pure and simple, if you wanted to play a ton of hockey, you went with Junior Gold (unless you were way skilled or something like that, then you probably played HS).

Penalties arent going to be called tight like that in high school hockey. The reason they are calling it like that in the elite leagues is because they use the USA Hockey rulebook and rules which high school does not use. Another difference between the two is in USA Hockey they dont have tag up offsides like they do in high school.