SiouxSports.com Forum

2006-2007 ND High School Hockey

WANTED

Head High School Hockey Coach at Shanley, if you have coaching experience and are willing to help build a program apply please. I find it hard to believe that this hasn't been discussed on here yet, Shanley is less than a month away from their starting date, yet they have no coach. So please lets spread the word around and get these kids a coach.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WANTED

Head High School Hockey Coach at Shanley, if you have coaching experience and are willing to help build a program apply please. I find it hard to believe that this hasn't been discussed on here yet, Shanley is less than a month away from their starting date, yet they have no coach. So please lets spread the word around and get these kids a coach.

It is my understanding that John Erickson accepted the head coaching job at Shanley. John Erickson is a long time coach that runs the International Hockey Schools in Detroit Lakes. Mark Pivetz has also offered his assistance.

I also heard yesterday that John Erickson took the Shanley position. Given his extensive contacts with players from across the country in his hockey camps, it may bode well for some additional players coming in down the road. John is a very nice guy and I wish him luck.

I also heard yesterday that John Erickson took the Shanley position. Given his extensive contacts with players from across the country in his hockey camps, it may bode well for some additional players coming in down the road. John is a very nice guy and I wish him luck.

Didn't this guy also coach Fargo North last year? Or am I thinking of a different guy?

All the contacts in the world can't bring in players to shanley. Frank Burgraff coach a little ways back and through his family and camps he recruited much of the regions young talent...yet i havent heard of any stars transferring there, anyways i do not know the man personally and also wish him luck

All the contacts in the world can't bring in players to shanley. Frank Burgraff coach a little ways back and through his family and camps he recruited much of the regions young talent...yet i havent heard of any stars transferring there, anyways i do not know the man personally and also wish him luck

Shanley is looking to develop talent, not bring it in. They had some impressive youth teams last year and if they can keep these kids together, they should have a pretty good high school team in the next 3 or so years.

I am suprised John Erickson has time to coach the team. He is a very good guy and has been very involved in hockey for a long time.

Sorry to break up the topic thread but this HAS to be said:

ND Pride- THANK YOU for posting those tidbits on individual teams. As someone trying to get "into" the high school game, they really help get an idea of teams around the state. I appreciate it. Thank you.

Sorry to break up the topic thread but this HAS to be said:

ND Pride- THANK YOU for posting those tidbits on individual teams. As someone trying to get "into" the high school game, they really help get an idea of teams around the state. I appreciate it. Thank you.

I also appreciate nd prides work and am waiting for north, south and grafton reports. thanks in advance

I also was told about Erickson coaching about a good half hour after my ill-timed post yesterday. He's an excellent guy for the program, he'll be able to help develop some of the younger talent that is going to be forced into roles this season. All this talk about recruiting is also bother me, our goal is not to go set up a booth at IHS with buy one get one tuition for the season, the goals of the Shanley program have been to develop hockey players through our feeder system. If you look at the Fargo Angels program, we have a state championship which clearly proves help is on the way. Burgraff was a little shakey in the first year bringing in the Sioux Falls guys, but other than that first season we have been pretty clean as a program. In about 5 years we'll be a contender for the state tournament year in and year out, mark my words!

I also appreciate nd prides work and am waiting for north, south and grafton reports. thanks in advance

Thanks for the note guys. Actually, I did do Grafton first and reprinted it - or rather - copied it right before the Grand Forks Central report.

I will see if I can get North and or South done tonight.

I notice that my comment about John Erickson, who started International Hockey Schools, having contacts has been misinterpreted as suggesting that he would recruit to build Shanley. I did not mean to communicate that message, and did not use the word recruit, but simply noted that he has had contact with kids who come to his camp from all over the country. Some of those kids who attend his camps come from weak hockey regions and often look for a place to play in a quality program.

Shanley works to develop their own players and, for example, Moorhead also works to develop their own players but because of Moorhead's success many players have left their home to come and play for Moorhead. What about Fargo South? Did they recruit two Shanley players this past year or a Hazen player this year? No. And what about Red River - Nick Krebsbach from Minot, Danny Irmen from Fargo, etc. etc. If Shanley develops a strong program in their feeder system and ultimately in their high school then it is inevitable that some kids will jump ship from other Fargo schools, maybe even Moorhead, as well as other areas. It would be a compliment to the program and would not be recruiting. John Erickson is a class fellow and would only operate in a way consistent with the proper mission of his employer - in this case Shanley High School. Actually, I believe John is relatively inactive in his camp and his son coordinates most of the program.

Fargo North Report

North lost seven seniors to graduation including their top two point men. Some of those seniors were role players so there was reasonable playing time for the twelve juniors who will make up this year's senior class.

North should be led by senior forward Tyler Klein (20 Points). The supporting cast includes Tanner Bombenger (11 Points), Ryder Bekkedahl (9), and Matt Labernik (8). Sophomore Grant Narveson (8 points) could be the top returning defenseman. North will have more experience on defense than last year with 4-5 d-men who had significant playing time. Jeran Dahl has transferred back from Moorhead High and should provide some help. The goalie position will be a big question mark for the Spartans as none of the returning goalies had significant playing time last season. North has not made it to state since the 2001-2002 season. If the Spartans are going to advance this year they will need significant leadership from the blue line in protecting an inexperienced goalie and facilitating a better breakout for their offense. The club could post a record better than last year's 7-9 EDC mark but the team will have to develop significantly to do so.

Fargo South Report

Last season South went 25-2 overall and there was plenty of success to spread around the roster. South lost eleven seniors to graduation including Mr. Hockey Paul Weisgarber (now of the Waterloo Blackhawks - USHL), Erik Galt (North Iowa - NAHL), and Grant Larson (F/M Jets - NAHL). South has plenty of quality returning but the reload will not have as much powder as last year's cohort. Perhaps most impressive is the return of senior goalie Sean Deichert (1.23 GAA, 93% saves). Sean should have another great year but should face a bit more pressure than last year. South returns Danny Wurden on defense (33 Points) but there will need to be some rebuilding unless the Bruins plan to run with only 3-4 players out of the back. Up front Ian Powers returns (37 points) along with Logan Doeden (24 points), Kris Graalum (23) and Jake McDougall (22). Again, plenty of offensive potential but they are probably not going to score an average of 6.4 goals a game like last year. South was the best team in the state last year on paper and, for the most part, the best team in the state on the ice - they won the state title. Keep in mind, however, that Red River beat them twice last year and only lost by one goal in the championship game. South is good but they will have to work hard to approximate last year's result. I almost forgot to mention Tyrel McBain who is reportedly a transfer to Fargo South. He put up 53 points last season for Hazen, including 37 goals. He clearly has some skills and will add depth to the South attack. It will be interesting to watch his development in the EDC this year.

Fargo North Report

North lost seven seniors to graduation including their top two point men. Some of those seniors were role players so there was reasonable playing time for the twelve juniors who will make up this year's senior class.

North should be led by senior forward Tyler Klein (20 Points). The supporting cast includes Tanner Bombenger (11 Points), Ryder Bekkedahl (9), and Matt Labernik (8). Sophomore Grant Narveson (8 points) could be the top returning defenseman. North will have more experience on defense than last year with 4-5 d-men who had significant playing time. Jeran Dahl has transferred back from Moorhead High and should provide some help. The goalie position will be a big question mark for the Spartans as none of the returning goalies had significant playing time last season. North has not made it to state since the 2001-2002 season. If the Spartans are going to advance this year they will need significant leadership from the blue line in protecting an inexperienced goalie and facilitating a better breakout for their offense. The club could post a record better than last year's 7-9 EDC mark but the team will have to develop significantly to do so.

I may be going out on a limb here but North may actually be better than last year. On one condition. They play as a team. Last year North played for themselves and it showed in the statistics. How are you going to score goals when no one shares the puck? Every time North came to town whether it was for a league game or EDC I saw the same thing. One player trying to do it all himself. Another downside is that Norths bantams last year were weak. Really weak. I don't think there is any help in the pipeline right now. If North plays like they did last year, you can count them out of the state tournement.

Fargo South Report

Last season South went 25-2 overall and there was plenty of success to spread around the roster. South lost eleven seniors to graduation including Mr. Hockey Paul Weisgarber (now of the Waterloo Blackhawks - USHL), Erik Galt (North Iowa - NAHL), and Grant Larson (F/M Jets - NAHL). South has plenty of quality returning but the reload will not have as much powder as last year's cohort. Perhaps most impressive is the return of senior goalie Sean Deichert (1.23 GAA, 93% saves). Sean should have another great year but should face a bit more pressure than last year. South returns Danny Wurden on defense (33 Points) but there will need to be some rebuilding unless the Bruins plan to run with only 3-4 players out of the back. Up front Ian Powers returns (37 points) along with Logan Doeden (24 points), Kris Graalum (23) and Jake McDougall (22). Again, plenty of offensive potential but they are probably not going to score an average of 6.4 goals a game like last year. South was the best team in the state last year on paper and, for the most part, the best team in the state on the ice - they won the state title. Keep in mind, however, that Red River beat them twice last year and only lost by one goal in the championship game. South is good but they will have to work hard to approximate last year's result. I almost forgot to mention Tyrel McBain who is reportedly a transfer to Fargo South. He put up 53 points last season for Hazen, including 37 goals. He clearly has some skills and will add depth to the South attack. It will be interesting to watch his development in the EDC this year.

Don't forget Parker Metz, who is playing with the Jets right now. I have one statement about Fargo South right now. Unless Red River gets some spectacular play from their forwards, South is too big, too strong, too fast.

I see North struggling immensely this year, the teams they'll battle with will be able to keep Klein in check. Not only will the Spartans struggle to put the puck in the net but they are extremely inexperienced in the net. If it's true that they are returning 4-5 d including Dahl, I would play Narveson up front and add a little depth to the scoring punch. I see North finishing the conference season with 10 pts this year, sweeps over BW and Shanley and a split with WF.

South on the other hand is my odds on favorite in the East this year, I really like Grafton also, but the difference comes in between the pipes. Deichert will have another solid year and has a good core of returning players in front of him. With McDougall, Graalum, Doeden, Powers, Metz, and Wurden they should have another excellent year, maybe a 4th banner??

Anyone have predictions on who will be the best line in the state this year?

This will depend on whether coaches decide to stack one line or balance the talent out throughout a couple/few lines. With Powers, Doeden, Graalum, and McBain Fargo South will have the ability to stack one line while still having plenty of talent left for the other 3 lines. They will be able to combine any two or three of the players listed above and have a very good line. Grafton will also be able to put together a solid first line with the return of Miller, Anderson and Hills. Besides, these teams, Red River, although they will count on balance, will have the ability to put together a quality line with the likes of Meland, Vigen, Lundby and Erickson. We also have to remember that whenever Red River has Ladeuceur and Galbreath on the ice they have the ability to make any forwards look very good.

This will depend on whether coaches decide to stack one line or balance the talent out throughout a couple/few lines. With Powers, Doeden, Graalum, and McBain Fargo South will have the ability to stack one line while still having plenty of talent left for the other 3 lines. They will be able to combine any two or three of the players listed above and have a very good line. Grafton will also be able to put together a solid first line with the return of Miller, Anderson and Hills. Besides, these teams, Red River, although they will count on balance, will have the ability to put together a quality line with the likes of Meland, Vigen, Lundby and Erickson. We also have to remember that whenever Red River has Ladeuceur and Galbreath on the ice they have the ability to make any forwards look very good.

I like the Miller-Anderson-Hills line. I think that will be the top line in the State. However, South's top line will also be good. RR will have the best defensive pair with Galbreath and Ladoucer, but South's D corps will be huge---Wurden, Metz, Anderson, Wagner and Dawson are all very big. Tanner McLean may also be in the mix. South probably has the best depth in the State, but Grafton and RR may have more top players. RR and South are also well coached teams.

I like the Miller-Anderson-Hills line. I think that will be the top line in the State. However, South's top line will also be good. RR will have the best defensive pair with Galbreath and Ladoucer, but South's D corps will be huge---Wurden, Metz, Anderson, Wagner and Dawson are all very big. Tanner McLean may also be in the mix. South probably has the best depth in the State, but Grafton and RR may have more top players. RR and South are also well coached teams.

I know Wurden is pretty solid and Metz is a big kid, but I'm not sure of the other 3 you mentioned. Personally, I think Grafton will be in close contention for the best team in EDC with some really powerful offensive punch. However, I believe I remember hearing something about Grafton's coach resigning last year, is that true? As for depth, I think South's top lines may have trouble together, and this isn't the West, so McBain could prove to be a null factor. For the top three I think Grafton may have it if they manage to get some strong goaltending. Grafton's top 3 are too much for any D in the state, South will have to rely heavily on their defense, and Red River will have to depend upon Meland and their two D sensations. It should prove to be very close in the end, and seems like it's going to be quite the competition for state this year.

I know Wurden is pretty solid and Metz is a big kid, but I'm not sure of the other 3 you mentioned. Personally, I think Grafton will be in close contention for the best team in EDC with some really powerful offensive punch. However, I believe I remember hearing something about Grafton's coach resigning last year, is that true? As for depth, I think South's top lines may have trouble together, and this isn't the West, so McBain could prove to be a null factor. For the top three I think Grafton may have it if they manage to get some strong goaltending. Grafton's top 3 are too much for any D in the state, South will have to rely heavily on their defense, and Red River will have to depend upon Meland and their two D sensations. It should prove to be very close in the end, and seems like it's going to be quite the competition for state this year.

I love Zach Millers style of play. I think any combination of forwards you put with him would succeed because he has so much fire in his game he makes other players around him better. If I was a coach I'd make my gameplan around him. Red River is always going to find players. They probably won't be as dynamic as last year with Mihulka gone but I see them making some major noise. Does Alex Simonson have anyone to play with? If so, Central could surprise some teams.

I don't know if #34 for Fargo South has been mentioned enough on here. That would be Sean Deichert for those of you don't remember him from last season. All of us hockey fans should know this, goalies can steal games. He will steal a few games this year.

I agree completely. Deichert was one of the top goalies in the state last year, if not the top, and he will continue to get nothing but better. I see Deichert puting up some ridiculous numbers this year due to his ability, and the quality of team he has around him. Sean is also a very classy kid so its great to see him do well.