SiouxSports.com Forum

2006-2007 ND High School Hockey

Did anyone see the Jamestown/Devils Lake game? Any summary on that? I know Welding got 4 goals for Jamestown and Enderle finished with 20? saves for Jamestown...I don't know who scored for DL and what else went on...any info?

Welding with four goals? That's impressive. Then again I don't know what DL has for a team this year.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any predictions on the South GPR game. GPR has a ton of scoring power and South has a great goalie and average scoring power. Should be a good one.

I think it'll be GPR 4, South 3 (OT)...Grafton-PR has the scoring and South has a goalie of steel...we'll see though...i'll be posting to my website all night (http://graftonprhockey.blogspot.com) the night of the game.

Are there any schools that are looking at adding hockey? I would think that Saint Mary's in Bismarck would eventualy be able to have a team. I am currious as to what North Dakota High School hockey's future holds. Will it become better and send more kids on to higher levels or will it dissapear in favor of Junior Gold or something else. How about youth hockey? Since that is the feeder for High School teams are any youth programs getting bigger. North Dakota is now going to be seperate from Minnesota in the USA Hockey districs. What kind of an effect will that have? Thanks.

I have not heard of any schools that are considering hockey. I do not see the possibility of Saint Mary's developing a hockey team in the near future. As far as the future of North Dakota hockey you can rule out Junior Gold as a developmental option for the top level players. North Dakota will be linked to some extent to Minnesota as that is the closest quality hockey area in the US. The only meaningful change would be to go with minor and major midget teams with perhaps one or two AAA teams and the remainder AA. That would free teams from high school boundaries and kids could be ability grouped. That type of system is unlikely because we are located next to the strongest center of high school hockey in the country - Minnesota. If North Dakota went the USA Hockey major and minor midget route the teams could have to do some traveling although they might actually find it easier to play top level Minnesota high school teams. Shattuck-St. Mary's uses the USA hockey format and has a AAA major midget team and plays teams such as Holy Angeles, etc. Actually, the more I think about it the best thing for North Dakota hockey would be to go the USA hockey format as it would allow for more games, ability grouping, and better competition. The downside is that is would ruin ND high school hockey, fewer kids might get a chance to play, the sport would expand the season and take kids out of soccer, track, baseball and create specialization that could actually have some negative impact on the development of athleticism. This is all speculative and has been kicked around before on various threads and on various hockey sites.

Youth hockey - not sure if any are getting bigger in any absolute sense. Population growth is minimal in North Dakota. Some programs may attract additional kids for awhile but I don't see much growth over the long term. Separating North Dakota in the hockey districts could result in more kids getting a chance to go to the 14, 15, 16, and 17 USA Hockey Select Festivals. A great exposure for kids but they have to be good enough to compete at a national level to merit the trip. Some of our kids have done very well there and most have been able to fit in with that level of competition. Not sure that there will be much additional benefit. The best thing is for the high schools to hire great coaches and develop off season training programs that are developmentally appropriate and hockey specific.

Just found out that Welding had 5 points last night in the lost (4g, 1a)...possible mr. hockey candidate this year...he has good credentials with elite league hockey and select teams over the years...he also had like 27 points his soph year..although last year was kinda a down year for him....it is a pretty good start to a year tho.

Just found out that Welding had 5 points last night in the lost (4g, 1a)...possible mr. hockey candidate this year...he has good credentials with elite league hockey and select teams over the years...he also had like 27 points his soph year..although last year was kinda a down year for him....it is a pretty good start to a year tho.

I dont think there should be a mr. hockey coming from a team that doesnt even come close to making it to state though.

I dont think there should be a mr. hockey coming from a team that doesnt even come close to making it to state though.

First off Jamestown is gonna be in the state tournament which voids out any attempt you had at a point there. Welding will have a monster season in the west, he has gimme 5 pt. games with Mandan, Dickinson, Hazen, and Bottineau. For all the Devils Lake love that seems to be going around on these sites you'd think a 5 point performance against them would have us giving him credit. I think of Welding keeps his point totals up he would be a very formidable Mr. Hockey candidate.

Secondly, I just got home from the Shanley game tonight and ouch! It will be a year filled with rebuilding. The game ended 4-0, penalites filled the game, you can tell the effects it will have on the play this year. Central looked shaky early but seemed to pick it up as the game went on.

Let's not get too excited over one game. If you would have picked Welding out before this game and used this as an arguement then I could see it being ok. But just throwing this out there after one game may be a little risky.

Let's not get too excited over one game. If you would have picked Welding out before this game and used this as an arguement then I could see it being ok. But just throwing this out there after one game may be a little risky.

One game doesn't mean much. Welding is a good player, don't get me wrong, but one game against a lackluster performance doesn't prove much. Charlie Bair had like 70 points his senior year and he didnt win Mr. Hockey. That went to Jake Marto. Keep that thing in mind.

Mr. Hockey Hopefuls (my opinion)

Zach Miller

Danny Wurden

Michael Hillman

Sean Diechert

Tyler Klein

Ian Powers (?)

One game doesn't mean much. Welding is a good player, don't get me wrong, but one game against a lackluster performance doesn't prove much. Charlie Bair had like 70 points his senior year and he didnt win Mr. Hockey. That went to Jake Marto. Keep that thing in mind.

Zach Miller

Danny Wurden

Michael Hillman

Sean Diechert

Tyler Klein

Ian Powers (?)

if you put welding on 4 teams in the east he would not even be the best player on the team let alone mr. hockey, so lets dont get carried away here. he might score a ton of points in the west but check out what his success was last year

Zach Miller

Danny Wurden

Michael Hillman

Sean Diechert

Tyler Klein

Ian Powers (?)

I think they will keep it to just seniors.

First off Jamestown is gonna be in the state tournament which voids out any attempt you had at a point there. Welding will have a monster season in the west, he has gimme 5 pt. games with Mandan, Dickinson, Hazen, and Bottineau. For all the Devils Lake love that seems to be going around on these sites you'd think a 5 point performance against them would have us giving him credit. I think of Welding keeps his point totals up he would be a very formidable Mr. Hockey candidate.

Secondly, I just got home from the Shanley game tonight and ouch! It will be a year filled with rebuilding. The game ended 4-0, penalites filled the game, you can tell the effects it will have on the play this year. Central looked shaky early but seemed to pick it up as the game went on.

Sorry i was thinking that Jamestown was still in the East. Still getting used to that.

Indeed, neither Powers nor Hillman are seniors, and I'm not entirely sure if Hillman is playing high school this year.

Well...I told you his credentials at the beginning of it all...he scored 27 points his sophomore year in the EAST on a 6th seed team. Last year he had points in the teens, I don't know what it was exactly. Everybody was saying how good DL was gonna be in the East this year because they impressed so many people last year in the west and tied Grafton and didn't lose too many players. I think Welding should be given just as much a chance at getting it as Zach Miller, Tyler Klein and Danny Wurden...

Well...I told you his credentials at the beginning of it all...he scored 27 points his sophomore year in the EAST on a 6th seed team. Last year he had points in the teens, I don't know what it was exactly. Everybody was saying how good DL was gonna be in the East this year because they impressed so many people last year in the west and tied Grafton and didn't lose too many players. I think Welding should be given just as much a chance at getting it as Zach Miller, Tyler Klein and Danny Wurden...

Games for the Weekend, lets get some predictions going

Friday

Williston at Mandan: I think Williston rolls in this one 7-2

Hazen-Beulah at Wahpeton: Intriguing game for all the wrong reasons, Hazen steals one 3-1

Bismarck Century at Fargo North: Klein will be too much, I see Spartans 4-2

Bismarck High at West Fargo: Should be a good game, goaltending will win it for BHS 2-1

Dickinson at Jamestown: Welding another 5 point performance? Jamestown 8-1

Minot at Devils Lake: Devils Lake will definitely play better and sneak out 4-3

Saturday

Bismarck Century at West Fargo: Another good test for WF, I don't believe they will be beaten at home two nights in a row, Pack 5-3

Dickinson at Wahpeton: Again another intriguing game for the Blades, Dickinson 2-0

Bismarck High at Fargo North: I see Hillman stealing this game if he starts back-to-back nights, with Hillman I see a 3-2 win for the Demons, without Hillman I think North wins 5-2.

Fargo Shanley at Grand Forks Red River: I hate to root against the alma mater, but Shanley doesn't have a prayer, hopefully Malm keeps it closer then my prediction of 9-0

Minot at Grand Forks Central: I love this game right here, Central didn't look too hot in the early stages Tuesday night, but Minot is playing back to back nights. I think Central will tie the Magi 3-3.

Williston at Jamestown: Jamestown's first real test in the WDA, I like the Blue Jays at home 5-2.

Fargo Shanley at Grand Forks Red River: I hate to root against the alma mater, but Shanley doesn't have a prayer, hopefully Malm keeps it closer then my prediction of 9-0

Sorry, but I disagree. Since Shanley is a Catholic school, I think prayer is something they have a lot of. It's just the offense and defense they don't have a lot of in this game. :silly:

Jamestown skated against north with 1 varsity line and 1 varsity set of D and a JV line and a JV set of D and played a goalie who hasn't seen a puck in 3 years for half the game..considering that, they played insanely well. And against DL on monday they only had 7 penalties which, compared to last year and the new rules being called, is a huge step up.

What dont you guys understand Jamestown is not good. Devils Lake is not good either and what was the score 6-5 jeez people wake up... Once they play some body worth while then talk..Til then all the talk should be about Red River GPR and South. The only three teams that do it year in and year out.

What dont you guys understand Jamestown is not good. Devils Lake is not good either and what was the score 6-5 jeez people wake up... Once they play some body worth while then talk..Til then all the talk should be about Red River GPR and South. The only three teams that do it year in and year out.

I don't know if you can read but the name of the thread is North Dakota High School Hockey, not to be confused with Red River, GPR, and South Fest 07. The great thing about this thread is that we can take in all different opinions and wait for all 18 teams, not just the three you feel are important, to play it out in a fun exciting season of hockey.

I don't know if you can read but the name of the thread is North Dakota High School Hockey, not to be confused with Red River, GPR, and South Fest 07. The great thing about this thread is that we can take in all different opinions and wait for all 18 teams, not just the three you feel are important, to play it out in a fun exciting season of hockey.

First of all if i couldnt read I wouldnt reply. I do think its great express away I was just giving my opinion. The three teams talked about are heads above the rest and should be talked about more. And i think people are giving Jamestown and Devils Lake credit that is undeserved