SiouxSports.com Forum

Boring Crowd

I LOVE SIOUX HOCKEY

Here's a thought(that works 98% of the time, because I used it): Start a cheer in your section, for example Let's Go Sioux, get a couple of your friends to join in with you, then get your entire section to start with the cheer, then spread it around the entire arena. It works every time. Mark My Words. You just gotta be persistent and stick with your cheer when you start it.

Or....

Go talk to the students before the game, let some of them know where you are sitting and all that other important information, and tell them you will follow their cheers if they follow yours.(It works best when you are somewhat on other sides of the arena from each other.) That's always an excellent back-up plan.

If the crowd is so quiet around you, do something about it. If you're already loud, get louder. Get more people involved around you. If you are positive, festive, and full of energy, the people around you will recognize that. The player's will realize it as well. And that's the most important thing.

I guess I must have been watching Tennis lastnight on TV not the Sioux Hockey game......BORING CROWD.... Man I watched a little bit of the UMD game and their crowd never got quiet I guess its the difference in atmospher maybe but the Sioux crowd needs to get wild and crazy to pump up the players. Man if those season ticket holders just want to go and have social hour stay at Suiet 49 and give or sell the tickets to someone that will cheer on the team and not just there and socialize.

Go Sioux,

Joey

I guess I must have been watching Tennis lastnight on TV not the Sioux Hockey game......BORING CROWD.... Man I watched a little bit of the UMD game and their crowd never got quiet I guess its the difference in atmospher maybe but the Sioux crowd needs to get wild and crazy to pump up the players. Man if those season ticket holders just want to go and have social hour stay at Suiet 49 and give or sell the tickets to someone that will cheer on the team and not just there and socialize.

Go Sioux,

Joey

Couldn't of said it better.

Maybe they spent too much time at suite 49 before the game & / or were tired from working all week --- & what are cheer leaders for ? (I liked the camo pants) ;) maybe they need to use the technology available & get Insync with the students & make it so the socialites can figure out what and when too do, what it is, you want them to do

Me I just like to watch the game with the view unobstructed & I listen to Hennessey (& yell or applaud when a good play happens) - THERE Thats it !!! it is all Hennessey's fault get him to lead a few CHEERS ;);)

so has alcohol affected the crowd ? ? ? (compared to the old Ralph) ? I :) beer but those Bars are a waste of space

I was pleased to see the Ralph is FINALLY showing the words to "Stand Up and Cheer". Also showing the player stats and team standings in the WCHA before the game was nice. Oh yeah, they also were showing the scores of other WCHA games. IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!! It was nice to see a new intro, not that it's a big deal, but it's nice not to have to see the same old intro every night.

Two examples from tonight in the first period. We had just had a great power play and the clock stopped at 14:00. (I think, it was for sure 00). The crowd started to get into a cheer and they turned up the volume on the "Respect the Sioux" video. Shut the crowd right down.

Later with about 3 minutes left and we had I think just killed off a power play. The crowd started to get into it and they cranked up the commercial that Dan Hammer is in.

Pretty much takes the crowd out of the game. I want to watch the game, so let's do the cheer thing during the breaks.

My friends and I were in a suite tonight right to the right of where St. Cloud shot twice or three times depending how you look at that. Everytime, we started the "Let's Go Sioux" cheer until about 7 minutes left in the third, we got looked at like we were weird. Finally in the third, two people started cheering with us and about half the people below us stood up and cheered. It was defitnitely interesting to watch, and cheer in that part, where I had never watched a game before.

Fandom is something that has to grow and it will if given the right conditions.

One thing I remeber from the olden days is the pre-faceoff clapping. You'd start clapping real slow and slowly pick up the pace. The idea would be to be clapping as fast as possible when the puck was dropped.

If they threw someone out you usually had to start over.

Go Sioux,

Joey

I agree.......... to a point. Between periods, the people do flock out into the corridors and yes, it is like a big social and a lot of them are late coming back to their seats and the game is already on again. But, it's not just the season ticket holders, I've noticed it all around the rink (including the student sections). Guess the blame partly falls on the REA, with it's wide corridors, it's marble floors, great atmosphere, many vendors, bathrooms, Sioux Shop etc. A lot of things to do out there and yes, socialize too.

As for the quiet crowd, I agree, all or most of the cheering does come from the student sections. Being on the student side of the arena and looking over at the other side (season ticket holder side), I suppose it does kinda look bad. My section is 115, there are some fans in the section that cheer, but a lot don't, which I'm sure is the same for a lot of the arena. Solution................I don't have one. All fans will stand up and cheer and yell during goals, great plays, wins etc. But to get or expect everybody including the older (think I fall close to this category) and elderly people to stand and chant/cheer all game right along with the students, don't think that will happen.

As far as the PA announcer always starting up when the crown is doing a chant/cheer, I've noticed that too, talk about killing a moment. When the REA first opened, the select music that would be played at key moments, or a clip from a movie/show that they would show in a key situation etc, those things helped, but now, cheers/chants start up and the people are interrupted by commercials or the PA announcer talking. This definately doesn't help.