SiouxSports.com Forum

Possible Congressional Hearings at Illinois

They may have eventually given it back because of the Abramoff involvement, but I think the point is that they took money from various Indian groups and probably intend to do so again in the future (without Abramoff's involvement obviously). They probably don't want to step on any donors' toes with this nickname issue.

This is all a moot point anwyay. This bill doesn't stand a chance in the new Democratic controlled House.

I don't think that "Team North Dakota" (Conrad, Pomeroy and Dorgan) are worried about losing Native American support. What will Native Americans do instead, vote Republican? Or Green Party? I don't think so. "Team North Dakota" has always had strong relationships with the tribes in North Dakota and that isn't going to end anytime soon. That is why they get money from Indian groups, not because of anything underhanded.

As for the bill not having a chance now that the Dems have taken the House (and now the Senate), it didn't seem to go anywhere when Dennis "I used to be Tom Delay's puppet" Hastert was in charge. Besides, that bill had co-sponsors on both sides of the aisle. The NCAA Politburo has angered people on both the Right and Left. This isn't a partisan political issue, it's an issue of an abusive, arrogant monopoly bullying institutions of higher education on issues that are none of their business. A bipartisan approach is what is needed to get this thing passed.

I get what you're saying Northcountry...but a little support from Earl Pomeroy on an issue that 90% of North Dakota supports isn't asking much...then again, it might be in the wacky world of politics.

I also am disappointed that Pomeroy isn't taking a leadership role in this, especially since Earl is a UND alum. But I still voted for him because I like how he represents ND in the House and how well he works with Conrad and Dorgan. That is important for a small state like North Dakota; to maximize whatever clout we have to get things done for the State. With the Dems taking control of the Senate tonight (James Webb appears to have won the Virginia Senate by about 7,400 votes), Conrad will probably become chairman of the Senate Finance committee. This is important for North Dakota.

The bottom line: As much as we want Congress to lay the smackdown on the NCAA Politburo, there are much more important issues that have to be dealt with (the War in Iraq, the deficit, the debt, etc) right now. This issue ranks near the bottom. :lol:

The bottom line: As much as we want Congress to lay the smackdown on the NCAA Politburo, there are much more important issues that have to be dealt with (the War in Iraq, the deficit, the debt, etc) right now. This issue ranks near the bottom. :lol:

Don't worry the Dems are going to tax the crap out of everyone soon.

Nothing like taxing ourselves back into prosperity. :lol:

Don't worry the Dems are going to tax the crap out of everyone soon.

Nothing like taxing ourselves back into prosperity. :lol:

I disagree with your assertion. That is what Rush Limbaugh and Sean "Slanthead" Hannity want you to believe. You can't get much worse than the last six years of Republican "Borrow and Spend" fiscal policies. Divided government usually leads to gridlock and compromise, anyway. Political monopolies (the last six years) lead to corruption, group-think and lots and lots of pork. Pork will always be with us, but I think there might be less with a divided government.

I disagree with your assertion. That is what Rush Limbaugh and Sean "Slanthead" Hannity want you to believe. You can't get much worse than the last six years of Republican "Borrow and Spend" fiscal policies. Divided government usually leads to gridlock and compromise, anyway. Political monopolies (the last six years) lead to corruption, group-think and lots and lots of pork. Pork will always be with us, but I think there might be less with a divided government.

I think we should suggest a new plan, for those that want to pay extra taxes, go ahead and send an extra 50-100 dollars in every pay period, I will not be doing that. If funny that there are all these people who just want to have someone elses income confiscated so they can get a few hand out or a benifit. They think they are entitled to something. Its going to be the 1990's all over again. People standing by the side with there hands out saying what are you going to do for me.

I am not kidding you are going to see the biggest display of class warfarism to play out over the next few years. Nancy Pelois and her San Fransico Values are going to be the theme, don't believe any of these stuffed suits for a minute. The first thing they are going to do is really sock it to the rich. Next big oil, then gun confiscation, registration. Its never going to end. Unfornutately Bush won't veto a thing.

I think we should suggest a new plan, for those that want to pay extra taxes, go ahead and send an extra 50-100 dollars in every pay period, I will not be doing that. If funny that there are all these people who just want to have someone elses income confiscated so they can get a few hand out or a benifit. They think they are entitled to something. Its going to be the 1990's all over again. People standing by the side with there hands out saying what are you going to do for me.

What world are you living in? Most Americans (Right, Left or Center) are hard-working, decent people. They don't want a hand out, but a hand-up, from their elected officials. And they want a government that actually works. This all-Republican, our-values-are-sounder-than-yours, the-terrorists-will-win-if-you-don't-vote-for-us, outsourcing-is-the-american-way government that we've had for the last six years has been a disaster. Katrina. Iraq. The Taliban resurgence. Abramoff scandal. Foley scandal. The national deficit and debt. Take your pick. The Republican party got what was coming to it. And now they are going to have to lie in the bed they made for themselves. And I don't feel the least bit sorry for them.

I am not kidding you are going to see the biggest display of class warfarism to play out over the next few years. Nancy Pelois and her San Fransico Values are going to be the theme, don't believe any of these stuffed suits for a minute. The first thing they are going to do is really sock it to the rich. Next big oil, then gun confiscation, registration. Its never going to end. Unfornutately Bush won't veto a thing.

Again, what world are you living in? The conservative movement is based almost 100% on fear and speculation. Guns are not on the verge of being banned (despite what the NRA would tell you) and neither are Bibles (the Righties used this tactic in West Virginia to help secure Dubya's re-election a couple of years ago). Traditional marriage is not in danger of being destroyed and neither is Christmas.

Nancy Pelosi will have to govern from the political center as Speaker of the House if she hopes to get anything done and keep power in 2008. This is something the righties forgot about, which is why they lost on Tuesday. As for Bush not vetoing any bills, that was when the House and Senate were rubber-stamps for his agenda. Now that Democrats control both houses, you will see more and more vetoes (his only veto up until now was the stem-cell research bill).

This is a forum for Sioux sports, so I will not comment further on politics and government. I guess both of us are going to have to agree to disagree on this and get back to discussing our mutual distaste for the NCAA Politburo and Secretary-General Myles Brand. And our mutual love for all things Fighting Sioux.

Again, what world are you living in? The conservative movement is based almost 100% on fear and speculation. Guns are not on the verge of being banned (despite what the NRA would tell you) and neither are Bibles (the Righties used this tactic in West Virginia to help secure Dubya's re-election a couple of years ago). Traditional marriage is not in danger of being destroyed and neither is Christmas.

Nancy Pelosi will have to govern from the political center as Speaker of the House if she hopes to get anything done and keep power in 2008. This is something the righties forgot about, which is why they lost on Tuesday. As for Bush not vetoing any bills, that was when the House and Senate were rubber-stamps for his agenda. Now that Democrats control both houses, you will see more and more vetoes (his only veto up until now was the stem-cell research bill).

This is a forum for Sioux sports, so I will not comment further on politics and government. I guess both of us are going to have to agree to disagree on this and get back to discussing our mutual distaste for the NCAA Politburo and Secretary-General Myles Brand. And our mutual love for all things Fighting Sioux.

Sorry, but I can't let this slide. "Fear and Speculation" is not what runs the conservative movement. Conservatives have a strong moral base (abortion, gay rights, etc) along with strong feelings with fiscal responsibility. Some items like welfare even mix the moral standards with finances. Democrats have been losing elections primarily because they have been seen as moving away from the conservatives moral base. Conservatives started winning elections in the 80/90's because of things like the "contract with America" when congress said that they were balancing the budget, etc. Republicans lost this campaign because of the ridiculous spending and Iraq. If democrats try to raise taxes (as the Republicans say they might) and this Iraq mess clears up then the GOP should be able to win back seats in 2008. I don't see the Democrats changing their moral positions anytime soon.

I now return you to the currently scheduled forum.

Will a First Amendment loving Democrats, controlling the House and Senate, stand up for:

- free expression on America's campuses, or

- Myles "catalyst for social change" Brand's 'politically correct' speech codes and interpretations of contracts.

(How's that for trying to veer this one back on course? :lol: )

(How's that for trying to veer this one back on course? :lol: )

Someone had to do it. :silly:

But didn't you read the NCAA's brief? Myles claims UND is violating the 1st Amendment rights of NCAA members. :lol:

Oh, the irony! Rememeber all the arguments we had on this board about whether there were any 1st Amendment rights issues in this case? So, as it turns out, North Dakota doesn't make any such arguments, but the NCAA does.

Someone had to do it. :angry:

But didn't you read the NCAA's brief? Myles claims UND is violating the 1st Amendment rights of NCAA members. :lol:

Oh, the irony! Rememeber all the arguments we had on this board about whether there were any 1st Amendment rights issues in this case? So, as it turns out, North Dakota doesn't make any such arguments, but the NCAA does.

Damned if we do, damned if we don't!!!! :lol:

I'm just glad now that the ND Dream Team will now get to show everyone how to run the country, fight terrorism and handle such a poor economy! :lol: What a joke...These guys aren't going to fight for our rights in ND because there is no incentive as the Democrat Siouxforlife portends. Lastly, my gut feeling is that once this gets move to Federal court, we will lose because of some BS interpretation by a Clinton judge that results in us changing our name - how does that fit into the Democrats are going to save the world from the Republicans story???

BOBIWABUCHIFAN

PS I can't wait until they decide to impeach Bush....It would be an awesome show of stupidity!

I'm just glad now that the ND Dream Team will now get to show everyone how to run the country, fight terrorism and handle such a poor economy! ;) What a joke...These guys aren't going to fight for our rights in ND because there is no incentive as the Democrat Siouxforlife portends. Lastly, my gut feeling is that once this gets move to Federal court, we will lose because of some BS interpretation by a Clinton judge that results in us changing our name - how does that fit into the Democrats are going to save the world from the Republicans story???

BOBIWABUCHIFAN

PS I can't wait until they decide to impeach Bush....It would be an awesome show of stupidity!

Okay, I was provoked! :D

The "incentive" for Democrats to govern from the Center instead of the Far Left is that they will have a chance to keep power in 2008. The country is divided politically right now. Voters have lost faith in the Republican Party because of corruption (Foley, DeLay), rising national debt (especially foreign debt) and the outrageous situation in Iraq (Rummy is finally gone, it is about time). But they will be watching the Democratic House and Senate to see if the Dems can do a better job than the GOP did. THAT is the incentive that Pelosi and Reid have to get things done. And that means working with the Bush White House.

Pelosi has already said that impeachment is off the table, and as Speaker of the House she can and will set the agenda. You can whine and cry about her being a "San Francisco liberal" all you want, but she's a tough, smart, hard-nosed political operative who isn't stupid enough to start that impeachment crap. And you can whine and cry about "Team North Dakota" being too liberal all you want, but they bring in a lot of research dollars for UND and NDSU and probably saved our air bases from being closed. If you look at the exit polls, Conrad got 40% of the Republican vote, 41% of the conservative vote, and 74% of the Independent vote. Too liberal? I don't think so. :D

As for the lawsuit getting moved to Federal Court, I think the NCAA would have done it already if it was feasible. But the suit is very well written (from the layman's point of view, anyway) and I don't think there is much wiggle-room to get it moved to Federal Court. So you can quit whining about "Clinton judges", especially since the courts are full of Republican appointees from 18 of the past 26 years of Republican rule in the White House.

I was never this much of a sore loser after 2002 and 2004. Too bad the Righties are after the butt-whipping they got on Tuesday.

Now back to regularly-scheduled NCAA bashing!

If Conrad had any real political clout, GF would not have lost their tankers. If any of the democratic buffoons would have had any clout, in the mid-90's nonetheless, GF would not have lost its missles either. Look at what the first year senator from SD did. He saved Ellsworth and vowed to vote against Bush on everything if it closed. While I don't like John Thune, Mr. DME Railroad whore that he is, he had guts to do that. The three stooges from ND never went out on the line for ND in that fashion, even during the Clinton years when their influence would have supposedly been at its peak. They've managed to buffalo a lot of the ND faithful. Compare Thune's first year in saving Ellsworth to Conrad's first year when Minot lost its fighter wing to Ted Kennedy's Massachusetts. Had Mark Andrews stayed in power, and he was stupid to piss off the Fargo doctors, Minot would still have a fighter wing.

The truth of why GF lost its missles and tankers: All three dems have a history of anti-military. SAC has a long memory and the protesters of GF, the three stooges (see above), Phil Jackson, and Lucy Clute (sp?) (wife of Conrad and former concubine of Dorgan) among them. Dorgan is one of the top Dems, I believe, and Conrad has had 20 years in the Senate, GF lost its tankers. Yeah, they have a lot of influence. While I am no Republican, one can not fall for such garbage. All three have been wards of the state for at least, especially in Conrad's case, for 20 to 30 years. I don't think anyone of them has had a real job except for when they were in their teens and early 20's.

I am a pre-Bush REpublican but even I can respect Wellstone because he stood up for what he believed in and actually did things. What a contrast from the 3 stooges from my home state. It seems now we in MN have 2 clowns that are as equally lackluster as the three stooges. The whole political establishment needs to be thoroughly cleansed. Enter Tim Walz, new Dem Rep from my area. When asked what he'd do about the NCAA over-extending its authority, when asked what he'd do about lobbying reform, one got the same flurry of nothingness one gets from well-entrenched politicians (i.e. Gil Gutknecht whom he replaced). Here we go again. Endeth Rant.

The political discussion on this thread has long ago devolved from how 'Team North Dakota' has failed to effectively support the effort to retain the name. To argue otherwise is to be willfully ignorant. If you think my personal political beliefs run left-of-center....well let's just say anyone who knows me would find that more than just a little humorous.