SiouxSports.com Forum

New Recruit for the Sioux

Chris

The sixteen year old received interest from Boston College, Colorado College, Denver, North Dakota, Maine Notre Dame, and Minnesota

not bad choices :)

lets just hope he sticks with this decision and doesnt go to the QMJHL which was where he was rumoured to go ;)

these are GREAT pickups but i will feel MUCH better about Chichy and Kristo when they SIGN the dotted line!!

As much as I'd love to see Cichy in a Fighting Sioux sweater, I just don't see it. This kid has been pegged for major junior for as long as I've known of him. I'll believe it when I see him buying books at Barnes & Noble. (To show you how old I am, I almost wrote "the Union". ;) )

As much as I'd love to see Cichy in a Fighting Sioux sweater, I just don't see it. This kid has been pegged for major junior for as long as I've known of him. I'll believe it when I see him buying books at Barnes & Noble. (To show you how old I am, I almost wrote "the Union". ;) )

exaclty, until the dotted line is signed im a bit skeptical, oh well,maybe so.....

Of course I'll be cautious as well, but the significance to high end recruits of Jon Toews' and T.J. Oshie's experience shouldn't be discounted, especially Toews'. He came to UND in his draft year and his career just kept growing brighter. For a kid like Cichy who has a place to play in 2006 (U17) and 2007 (U18), UND probably looks like a nice career stop for 2008. Or maybe he's just using UND for leverage. We'll know soon enough.

I agree, but there is cause for optimism, mikejm.

IIRC, Jonathon Toews was all but wrapped up as "going to the WHL" at one point.

I love that he committed, but he's only 16. I really think what happens this season will determine whether or not he dresses as a Sioux. Remember, Sam Gagner spent a year in the USHL, evidentally didn't like it, and went to the OHL thereafter.

Another thing is that the Q isn't as "polite" as even the WHL and OHL (including Red Deer and London). This may simply be posturing by Cichy to "get a better deal" from the Q.

That doesn't make you old! I love that the front of Old Science is in Barnes and Noble.

Agreed. At least we know that if he decides to go the collegiate route, that he will be going to UND.

And you aren't that old if you bought your books at the Union. When I started at UND in 1998, books were still being sold at the Union. :)

word on the street is cichy wears UND stuff around at the ndtp. him and kristo are becoming very good friends.

brad will have an update on his blog sometime tonight.

i better keep sending that team sioux gear :)

ok, just kidding, dont want to be accused of recruiting violations and cause these 2 from being ineligable ;)

wow thats sweet news!! The NTDP actually has a tourny here in ann arbor next week (UND grad here, 1st year mich law~) called the four nations cup. I will have to get to a game or two and check these kids out ;) Really cool that a couple of these guys are going to head out to UND, its not surprising to see NTDP kids playing for mich but neat to see UND has some sway too - its gotta be me wearing my sioux stuff all around campus spreading the word~ :)

Sioux fans in Fargo will be able to get a look at Kristo & Cichy on Dec. 2nd. The U17 team plays an exhibition against the FM Jets in Fargo.

The U18 team plays the Jets on Dec. 2nd, the day after they play the Sioux.

Must be a typo on the FM Jets website? It shows U17.

Must be.

U18 Schedule

2006-07 U.S. National Under-18 Team - Schedule

*All times local

DATE

OPPONENT LOCATION TIME/RESULT

12/1/06 Univ. of North Dakota Grand Forks, N.D. 7:35 p.m.

12/2/06 Fargo-Moorhead Jets Fargo, N.D. TBD

brads take on chichy

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

The largest rumors swirling around Cichy is that he will end up in the QMJHL, where he was drafted in the third round by Halifax. Here's what Cichy had to say about that: "Hopefully this erases those rumors. There really wasn't any consideration at all to go there (Halifax). They drafted me high and everyone thought I was going to go there. But I'm not. I'm committed to North Dakota. I loved everything about it there. It's really cool to be able to accept a scholarship there."

Another question Cichy said he gets a lot is "Why is a kid from the East Coast going to college out West?" Cichy's answer: "I really like the game they play out West. I was really drawn to the Western schools -- it's more my style. I know that North Dakota encourages skilled players who have offensive moves and stuff."

Kristo, Malone, and now Cichy in just a 2-3 month timeframe. To those lurking who thought that Hak's ability to recruit was lacking, I wonder if the tune is changing.

Sure, Cichy might not show up. Time will tell, but that's the case with any young high profile recruit.

An additional point of interest. Check out how the Sioux recruiting footprint is changing (enlarging?). Instead of just a BCHL/USHL focus, now there are kids coming from eastern prep bkds (Malone and Hextall), and a couple of kids from the US development program. Malone and Hextall are now in juniors, but came from out east, and we haven't seen those types of bkds come through the UND program very much. We haven't had many out of the USNTDP program.

Good work by Hakstol and the coaches. Keep 'em coming.

Kristo, Malone, and now Cichy in just a 2-3 month timeframe. To those lurking who thought that Hak's ability to recruit was lacking, I wonder if the tune is changing.

Sure, Cichy might not show up. Time will tell, but that's the case with any young high profile recruit.

An additional point of interest. Check out how the Sioux recruiting footprint is changing (enlarging?). Instead of just a BCHL/USHL focus, now there are kids coming from eastern prep bkds (Malone and Hextall), and a couple of kids from the US development program. Malone and Hextall are now in juniors, but came from out east, and we haven't seen those types of bkds come through the UND program very much. We haven't had many out of the USNTDP program.

Good work by Hakstol and the coaches. Keep 'em coming.

i have to say i get real tired of people complaining about not getting good enough recruits... and uw and umtc fans saying that UND is lagging...anyway. i am optomistic on cichy coming here. and yes that is awesome to see some hot talent committing