SiouxSports.com Forum

FIGHTING SIOUX vs SCSU HUSKIES

AZSIOUX

hockey_sm.jpgHAPPY HOLLOWEEN WEEK hockey_sm.jpg

logos_siouxhead.gifVS stcloud.gif

Nice to come home to The Ralph coming off a road WCHA sweep regardless of the scores. Bottom line is the Sioux took home 4 points. Yes we need to clean some things up like penalties but the powerplay got back on track BIG TIME which was very nice to see happen. Will the Sioux be able to solve another very good goalie? Grieco will likely get a couple more starts with Phil being out. Does Oshie bust out with some goals? Hopefully Toews will be back in the lineup. St Cloud will be a tough test at home coming off a bye week. The huskies have split with Minnesota State and Denver. The Sioux have played 8 games already compared to the Huskies 4 games. Lets keep the W's coming and try to cut back on the bad penalties. Final thought, lets work on those 2nd periods ;)

SIOUX

Overall Record: 5-3-0 (.625)

WCHA: 3-1-0, 6 points

Home: 2-2-0

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should we say this will be the revenge tour this weekend.

Time to dish out some retribution from SCSU sweeping us in our own barn last season.

Apparenlty Bobby hasn't been as sharp has he was last season, so far. I think it is time for the Sioux to light bobby up.

SCSU goalie is the back bone of this team. we will need to find goals from others like oshie. I believe he is due for a big weekend and what a better place to have your breakout weekend than at home. If toews comes back that would be a big help. He owes the boys a good weekend after all the penalties he took against maine so if he is dressed i look for him to have a huge weekend. I agree that this will be a pay back series for us. after last years sweep look for the returning players to have big games and use last year to gear up the freshman.

Hopefully miller and duncan will put more pucks into twine.

Will the Sioux get Lammy back for the series against SCSU? How about Toews? I think that will be key to that series. Yes Grieco got the road wins but gave up a lot of soft goals this weekend. I just want Lammy back and Toews so that we can start getting some solid goaltending and then some good scoring so we can start taking charge of the WCHA. Just my opinions.

Will the Sioux get Lammy back for the series against SCSU? How about Toews? I think that will be key to that series. Yes Grieco got the road wins but gave up a lot of soft goals this weekend. I just want Lammy back and Toews so that we can start getting some solid goaltending and then some good scoring so we can start taking charge of the WCHA. Just my opinions.

as it is only Sunday, i don't think anyone knows yet. I would guess that they will be evauluated tomorrow and then we will find out more. we might not know until game time either.

im going to guess and say toews is back and phil sits another week. just a pure guess though. lets let grieco defend some 5 on 5 hockey instead of letting him get peppered with shots on powerplays and see what happens. wins are wins especially on the road in the wcha. oshie will breakout this coming weekend ;)

SCSU goalie is the back bone of this team.

We should just go ahead and whack him right away. ;) I mean get to him early and get his feet moving.

UND lit him up during the WCHA playoffs. Nodal is supposed to be the real deal.

Edited by Goon

Ok, looking at the paper aspects of this matchup (not to be confused with direct observation because I have yet to see this year's SCSU team in any way shape or form):

This team seems to be centered really around its goaltending and whichever line Nodl is on. If Nodl and Gordan are on the same line, then really, this team offensively could be considered a one line offensive machine.

I wish I knew how we match up special teams wise, but I'm willing to bet their PK is better than ours and our PP might be better than theirs thanks to the bloating of that stat vs. Mankato.

Again, what it really comes down to is two periods this weekend: 2nd Period on Friday and 2nd period on Saturday. Can we get through this series allowing less than 3 goals?

I'm not sure if the Huskies are going to be as forgiving as Mankato was. Not to mention SCSU is probably less banged up than we are thanks to their bye week being last week.

Jase Weslosky looks to be pretty solid and Goepfert is solid as well (despite the slow start).

I hate to sound like a broken record, but really, we need to play a defensively solid and disciplined game against SCSU. Gone are the days where SCSU was a patsy (that ended when Dahl resigned). They have a real coach now. This series is going to be tough.

If Toews is back, who among those who have platooned recently (Bishop, Vandevelde, Zajac, Miller, Martens, Forney) would you sit?

i would guess if toews is back hak would sit bishop. i guess who really knows. it will probably depend on the weeks practice when it comes to fridays lineup. i like the way some of these younger less praised players are putting up some numbers. will be interesting on who sits because lately i have not seen much reason to sit any of them when they have ben in the lineup. makes for good practices i can only imagine with these guys battling for only 1 or 2 spots per week. hope the ones that end up sitting do not get frusterated with playing time though if it becomes a pattern because all these guys are very talented.

Another team with a solid goalie. We are really going to need to pass the puck back and forth. None of this shooting from the wing like against Maine. I thought we also did a better job of having guys in front of the net this weekend. Got some good rebound opportunities and goals.

QUIT TAKING STUPID PENALTIES!!!

I think we need to start hitting more. Get more aggressive on the forecheck and cause some turnovers.

I know it's early in the season, but we need to sweep at home. It has seemed like we struggle to win at the Ralph the last couple of years and SCSU always has our number. Let's bury them early in the season.

i will go with a sweep ;)

Friday, 5-3..........oshie 2 goals, genoway, toews and forney

Saturday, 6-4.......duncan, toews (2), oshie, porter, lee

if toews plays of course ;)

This would be an ideal situation for the Sioux. I could not agree more. Although i would like to see us shut someone out too. I also agree with Smoggy we need to be more agrressive on the forecheck. Quit taking dumb penalties, that might be key this upcoming weekend. Stay out of the box.

i will go with a sweep :)

Friday, 5-3..........oshie 2 goals, genoway, toews and forney

Saturday, 6-4.......duncan, toews (2), oshie, porter, lee

if toews plays of course ;)

i agree with the sweep, i think that maine got to the sioux and they keep improving too. also apefart (thats how its pronounced ;) )has not been putting up as solid numbers as last year, but i think that is due to the adjustment to a new year...just like UND.

Hey AZSioux -- How bout givin me about say... 2 minute head start on the trivia questions this weekend? :)

;) will see what i can do ;) hell, you may as well pick out the prize too ;) a dvd? a autograph? whatever you like............

Hmmmm.... Whatever I'd like?

I'd love to have a Matt Jones game worn Coyotes jersey. ;) Oh! Autographed by Matt for sure!

darn, dont have one of those to give away, how about a game used matt jones signed sioux jersey ;)

back on topic............nodl for scsu, a native of austria seems like he is a hell of a player and may be a big time force in the wcha...he tore it up last season in the ushl for sioux falls with 29 goals and 30 assists. hes a 2nd round draft pick, 39th overall of the flyers in the 2006 draft. someone on the huskies to keep an eye on

If Greico plays like he did in Mankato, the Sioux will lose both games. I was surprised to see just how badly both goalies played last weekend. I think the refs were too quick to blow the whistle with penalties last weekend. The refs should just let people play. Guys tripping over sticks do not constitute tripping penalties. I really hope the Sioux can beat SCCC both games.

If Greico plays like he did in Mankato, the Sioux will lose both games. I was surprised to see just how badly both goalies played last weekend. I think the refs were too quick to blow the whistle with penalties last weekend. The refs should just let people play. Guys tripping over sticks do not constitute tripping penalties. I really hope the Sioux can beat SCCC both games.

Depends what the score is and then the refs have to figure out if the opposing teams have had the same number of penalties called against them as the other team. Like TH once said notice how all the even ups happen at the end of the game for the most part you will see both teams with the same number of penatlies against.

This team seems to be centered really around its goaltending and whichever line Nodl is on. If Nodl and Gordan are on the same line, then really, this team offensively could be considered a one line offensive machine.

It appears that their top line is Nodl-Gordon-Dey...and it looks like a vast majority of their points come from this line. With last line change, hopefully the Sioux can matchup a good defensive line against these guys and then put the DOT and Porter/Miller/Kozek lines out against their weaker lines.

It appears that their top line is Nodl-Gordon-Dey...and it looks like a vast majority of their points come from this line. With last line change, hopefully the Sioux can matchup a good defensive line against these guys and then put the DOT and Porter/Miller/Kozek lines out against their weaker lines.

I was thinking the same thing and since the refs aren't calling the obstrution and hooking and holding I think the Sioux will and should check these guys relentless and hard. I would have Kaip or Fabian in Nodl's and gordon's kitchen all game long. It players like this that makes me miss Prpich.

I was thinking the same thing and since the refs aren't calling the obstrution and hooking and holding I think the Sioux will and should check these guys relentless and hard. I would have Kaip or Fabian in Nodl's and gordon's kitchen all game long. It players like this that makes me miss Prpich.

At this point do we really have an effective checking line? (as in days of yore?)

Chewey, if the Sioux had played that way in front of Lammy the scores would have been similar. Even TH commmented that some of some of Griecos saves were extraordinary and some were only because he is a much bigger goale. Anderson was part of the equation for the second period problems but you can't blame him for second period Sioux meltdowns during two consecutive weekends.