SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Vs. Maine Friday Game Thread

Shawn-O

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not a good thread to come home to check out. not gona go back through the whole thing so just wondering if we have any DQ's for tomorrow night? thanks, sounds like the game got a bit chippy. we will take it to them tomorrow night and get this split.

VandeVelde, CFB. Got the Oshie photo in the mail, BTW. Thanks! :blush:

VandeVelde, CFB. Got the Oshie photo in the mail, BTW. Thanks! :blush:

vandevelde shouldn't be out tomorrow night correct?? although he may be a healthy scratch anyways

hope they get back to sioux hockey tomorrow night

you are welcome for the photo

The box score is up, game misconduct for VandeVelde, no DQ.

I didn't get the VV call when it happened (I saw it, but thought there was no possible way they could call it). I don't think there was a call initially when the "penalty" happened. Then there was a penalty ( a second penalty) called while the Maine guy was laying on the ice. Apparently, all FOUR refs missed the VV "penalty, and had to take 3 minutes to review the tape to see what happened (thought they'd come back and call "robbie earling"), and they stilll got it wrong. Live, it looked like a clean hit. In slow motion, about 10 feet from the check, VV realized if he might get a checking from behind if he didn't ease up. Then the Maine guy turned toward VV, and VV ended up checking the Maine player from the side (if not almost face to face, definitely wasn't from behind).

It's funny (not ha ha) that the Maine announcers thought that UND were being too physical, definitely didn't see that from my seat.

Best news of the year about changes to REA, they started serving Boulevard (and sam adams) this year. Stand set up between the two escalators on the south side of the building. No more s(h)itty miller lite for me.

All in all, siouw were flat in the second period. Can't blame Lammy. Would have been nice to see Tony in goal after the game got out of hand though. Don Adams makes D Shepard look like a pro. Every time he comes up here you hear chants of "we want Shephard." There's got to be better refs out there?

That was as ugly a game as any Fighting Sioux fan has had to endure for a long, long time. Even after "winning" the first period it was pretty obvious this was going to be an ugly night for the home team. I've never seen worse passing or more standing around by a hockey team.

Lammy was left out to dry several times by very sloppy play in front of him; neither the defense nor forwards were finding their men and tying them up. As bad as the score was, it could've been much, much worse. Five of the Maine's goals were in the second, so at the other end of the ice from me, but the Black Bears had chance after chance after chance from 15 feet and in. The Sioux simply weren't tying anyone up. Several times I counted three Maine men all alone from the dots in. I don't think anyone knew who or where their man was.

Maine came out hitting hard, and I think it took the Sioux out of their game. They plugged neutral ice, cutting off all passing lanes, so the Sioux couldn't get their "running" game going at all. I looked like a trap, but it was an aggressive strategy, not a Wisconsin-style collapse. There was a lot of clutching and grabbing, however, which further exasperated the Sioux. Two of Toews' penalties were a direct result of being held or hacked; I think Jon simply got frustrated and lost his cool. When he didn't show for the third I at first thought Hak had benched him. But I saw Jon try to come back up the tunnel twice before he was finally sent to the showers. An insider I talked to said he didn't think Jon's injury is "major", but he might not be back Saturday.

There were some highpoints for the Sioux however: Duncan's goal was a thing of beauty from all angles. Lee made a long cross-ice pass to TJ deep, perhaps at the left dot, who then rifled a pass to Duncan all the way back across the ice on the right dot. Bishop is a huge goalie who covers a lot of space, but his size worked against him as he was sashaying back and forth reacting to the passes and simply couldn't get that big from of his back to the post to block Duncan's shot.

Fabian, Genoway and Kaip turned in a pretty good effort; workman-like, but high tempo. Watkins, Kozek and Porter, when they were skating together, showed good energy and both Kozek and Watkins showed amazing speed. But by the third, when the lines were scrambled due to Toews' injury, and when the game was clearly out of hand, no one looked good.

I didn't see anything special from the defense tonight. I don't believe there were any major passing mistakes (ala Saturday in Madison) but there were dozens of missed assignments and open Black Bears as a result.

Two things strike me (neither of which I am happy to relate): I'm not so sure that this team is going to score goals to the extent many of us here expect. I was reminded tonight of how frustrated Parise and Bochenski became toward the end of Zach's last year here. They were banged up, held up, slashed and generally beaten to a pulp, and effectively neutralized as goal scorers. Maine's performance tonight could be an omen of what's to come as opponents try to shut down the Sioux speed and finesse.

The other thing that stood out in my mind was how quickly the Sioux were taken out of their game by Maine's hitting. There were two or three thunderous checks into the boards behind Lammy early in the first, and it seemed like the Sioux were a bit hesitant to go into the corners after that. That lack of aggression kept the Sioux from breaking out of the zone quickly, and effectively eliminated any chance of odd-man rushes because Maine had all kinds of time getting their skaters back into position.

Saturday's performance will be an interesting testament to what this team is made of. I know it is very early in the season, but this is gut-check time. The Sioux were out-skated, out-shot, out-muscled and out-passed for almost the entire game tonight. Hak needs to find some way to help these kids recover to get a split.

The good thing is that this game is so early in the season. And this remains an extremely talented albeit young team. I don't recall seeing this group of skaters being on the receiving end of such physical play; they need to come out Saturday with the mindset of reclaiming their speed and finesse game. If they can get into a running game with Maine, the Sioux will win.

I think it was a mistake to put lammy back in the third, not because how he played but how the team played. We needed to change pretty much everything after the second period, wow, what a smacking! Team play was not there in the second period and beyond, except for Bina- extremely impressed how he responed, throughout this game he lead the line that he was on-only he remembered to lace up his skates. Oshie, is he trying to strong arm his way into victory by himself?:blush: Didn't work and caused many many turnovers. do you change everything and hope for a crap shoot, or try to keep some normalacy try to play at least 40 minutes of good hockey?:D I don't know, hope we don't get swept by a very impressive maine team!!!!

Can't really blame the refs for the loss. They were horrible, but they don't cause a team to stop skating. Basically, Maine took UND out of their game early in the second. They may have been playing ultra chippy, but UND is the team that got frustrated.

In the 2nd, UND stopped playing hockey and started trying to hit people. Players were just standing around, being lazy and trying to lay someone out. It didn't get Maine off their game, they were still skating (circles around UND). AND UND didn't even succeed at laying people out!

Lammy starts tomorrow. You need to show confidence in your 1st year full-time starter. I applaud Hak for keeping him in, and I know the team will pick him up tomorrow. The team needs to go back to what they do best, and stop focusing on cheap play and bad reffing. They were able to succeed in the 1st, and they made it respectable in the 3rd.

If there was ever a game to show the importance of 20 mins out of a 60 min game, that was it. UGLY. You think Maine has Alfond on the mind from 2 years ago?

Last night was a horrible game to watch and if they called the NCAA games like they do the NHL, Maine would have been killing a lot of penalties. My buddy said last night game was one of the most one sided called games that he has ever seen I think he may be right Adam and the other clown that called the game should get two weeks off. Its obvious that Don Adam from the Commodore incident and last night that he can't objectively call a game without having to jam UND.

The guys sitting next to me said that Toews was speared in the kidneys. I didn't see it but if true it doesn't surprise me that it happened. I was not impressed with Maine they are one of the dirtier teams I have seen play at the Ralph in a long time.

Not harping on the refs but how is VV check, checking from behind? Then the refs totally miss one by Maine before that that was really blatant.

Appeared it was Albers that was making most of the calls. If malling Toews and Oshie becomes legal in the WCHA, it could be a long season.

Bad start for the WCHA in non-conference games, with RPI beating Denver and UNH over CC.

Appeared it was Albers that was making most of the calls. If malling Toews and Oshie becomes legal in the WCHA, it could be a long season.

Bad start for the WCHA in non-conference games, with RPI beating Denver and UNH over CC.

I think your right. Last night was not a good night by the refs. I am sure the league will hear about it. I think one could make the argument that Adam should or won't be doing our games again and neither will Albers. The Refs missed a lot of calls last night, or just mostly called UND for penalties, for instance playing the puck with a high stick that play led to a goal. the CFB on I believe it was Bina that was blatant, the one sided calling of the game was horrible, I think 29 penalties is way too many to stomach as a fan. I also though Maine was a dirty team.

BTW: Does anyone have an idea why their goalie layed down in front of the net for 3 minutes in the first period? They even showed a replay and there was nothing there.

Last time they played here (2001) their captain (#4 defensemen) drew a major spearing penalty from David Hale that was called by the Linesman (Ludwig?). He laid on the ice for five minutes and then skated the second shift of the power play. Blais said that all it amounted to was the Maine player holding Hale's stick.

BTW: Does anyone have an idea why their goalie layed down in front of the net for 3 minutes in the first period? They even showed a replay and there was nothing there.

Last time they played here (2001) their captain (#4 defensemen) drew a major spearing penalty from David Hale that was called by the Linesman (Ludwig?). He laid on the ice for five minutes and then skated the second shift of the power play. Blais said that all it amounted to was the Maine player holding Hale's stick.

I am not impressed with Maine or their Busch League Tactics, they are a dirty team and it showed last night. Poor Bishop lay on the ice like he had been shot, nothing looked even remotely bad or awkward, I am not sure what he was trying to do. The slash on Phil in the first period was a tone setter. These guys are on the same level as Denver as far as Busch league tactics. They must teach theater classes at Maine.

I would sit Radke tonight, he needs to settle down, the second series of the year and he is looking to spend his first fighting major, not once but twice. I also can

I think your right. Last night was not a good night by the refs. I am sure the league will hear about it. I think one could make the argument that Adam should or won't be doing our games again and neither will Albers. The Refs missed a lot of calls last night, or just mostly called UND for penalties, for instance playing the puck with a high stick that play led to a goal. the CFB on I believe it was Bina that was blatant, the one sided calling of the game was horrible, I think 29 penalties is way too many to stomach as a fan. I also though Maine was a dirty team.

Every game that Adam does (at least when we're involved) turns into an ugly game. My theory is that his inconsistency in officiating frustrates the players and get it going. Plus the real dirtiness started right in front of him (Radke's near altercation). He didn't call the first cheap shot (the check was just hockey) by the Maine player.

I didn't expect the animosity between the two teams.

Looked like he was feigning injury to give his guys a break from the pressure at the time (Was there actually pressure by the Sioux? can't remember Sioux pressure at any time during this one)