SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Vs. Maine Friday Game Thread

Shawn-O

Regardless of the reffing, looked to me like the defense needs an interjection of Brad Berry. The running around is ridiculous.

They've got to get their act together. I'm as critical of the officiating as they come, but bad officiating isn't an excuse to play like that. They'll be better tonight.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They've got to get their act together. I'm as critical of the officiating as they come, but bad officiating isn't an excuse to play like that. They'll be better tonight.

Damn Right They Will Be Better Tonight. There's no doubt in my mind. This series has got an eerie reminder to me of the Wisconsin series at home last season. And we all know how that series and our season turned out.

BTW: Does anyone have an idea why their goalie layed down in front of the net for 3 minutes in the first period? They even showed a replay and there was nothing there.

I was standing in the upper bowl student section and then watching the replay and it looked to me like he had bent his right leg wrong when going down and landed on it wrong. I could be wrong about it though.

BTW: we did have brad alberwhatever.

This series has got an eerie reminder to me of the Wisconsin series at home last season. And we all know how that series and our season turned out.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Last night, Maine looked as good as Wisconsin did when the Badgers swept the Sioux at home early last season. Let's not forget that UND is a young team with a different makeup from last season. Maine is a team with a quite a few juniors and seniors. That difference showed Friday night.

I was standing in the upper bowl student section and then watching the replay and it looked to me like he had bent his right leg wrong when going down and landed on it wrong. I could be wrong about it though.

The way he layed their though looked like he had got coldcocked. When he got up he never flexed his legs or anything.

I think he was faking.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Last night, Maine looked as good as Wisconsin did when the Badgers swept the Sioux at home early last season. Let's not forget that UND is a young team with a different makeup from last season. Maine is a team with a quite a few juniors and seniors. That difference showed Friday night.

I think it was more on how we played than on how they played. We can beat these guys. At this point of the season last year Wisonsin was just a better team. Not at the end of the season mind you.

I have a feeling (or at least I hope) that tonight will be a VERY different game than last night! We should be hungry tonight, get embarrassed is one thing, but getting embarrassed at home is a whole different thing. Hopefully one of th captains stepped up and said something, although after last night, I'm not sure anything needed to be said. We can't keep using the "we're young" reasoning forever, because chances are that we are always going to be young. If there ever was a time for the entire team to step up, now would be it.

I vote we put last night behind us and start to think about tonight... let's get out there and get on them early. Don't give up and don't let up! We have to get on them early and keep fighting, don't take ourself out of the game.

Was a bit disturbing that Maine could manhandle a young Sioux team and have them turn into something that looked eerily similar to the soft gopher teams that, by the end of the year, couldn't handle the pounding put on them by the Greene, Jones, Smaby, and Schneider in front of the Sioux net, and refused to go there in the post-season.

I hope this isn't a team that needs a huge ice surface and lots of PP's to succeed. They better match Maine's physical play tonight.

Who's going to be the big hitter on this team? I don't think Finley is going to throw the big checks like Smaby and Greene did. He's big and strong and he won't get pushed around but throwing the big open ice hit is a skill. That's ok, he's got to play the game he can be successful with.

Sorry, but it is a young team.

I know it is a young team... we were also a young team last year too. With the combination of graduation and early departures, I feel like we will always be a young team. And even though we (and other teams) may be young... they boys started playing hockey when they were really young... I'd venture out and guess that many of our players have been playing for more than ten years. I realize that the transition between juniors/high school/where ever else and the WCHA/NCAA is huge...

totally just lost my train of thought, there was going to be a but after that, but I think I might have ruined my own point or I just forgot what my point was...

Either way, LET'S GO SIOUX! Pick it up tonight boys

I know the poor reffing has already been covered, but 29 penalties called in one night? Maybe the crew was being paid strictly on commision last night?

It's too bad that on the night that Hrkac was honored (kind of saw the night as a passing of the torch between the Hrkac line and the TOD line (almost 20 years later)) the team ended up playing like **** (rhymes with schitt).

That being said, I'm sure that Friday night's team, and the team we see tonight will be two totally different teams.

LOL. I was proofing what I had written, and I had originally typed "poop reffing." Freudian slip? :blush:

that second period was men against boys - their forecheck was awesome - The puck bounced their way longer than I have ever seen it happen & the refs stunk up the place

Goes to show a balanced team of veterans that are good (not Great) can win the big ones

we will get better - it was a good lesson to learn from

it could have been a 5-5 tie - we could have easily scored 3in the 1st & better ....against teams like this -( while we had some momentum)

that second period was men against boys - their forecheck was awesome - The puck bounced their way longer than I have ever seen it happen & the refs stunk up the place

Goes to show a balanced team of veterans that are good (not Great) can win the big ones

we will get better - it was a good lesson to learn from

it could have been a 5-5 tie - we could have easily scored 3in the 1st & better against teams like this - while we had some momentum

I don't want to make an argument, but I thought it was more about how poorly we played rather than how good they played.

The reffing sucked, but as I see it, we still would have lost regardless. I can say for certain that one noncall resulted in a Maine goal, but other than that, we did it to ourselves. So, let's say Adam didn't have his head up his backside... would losing 5-2 be any different from losing 6-2?

Folks, it's just as it has been said, bad reffing or not, we did this to ourselves.