SiouxSports.com Forum

Ohio State v Rutgers BCS Championship

GaryP

I thought that JFR and those of you who like to keep up with Rutgers football might find some of these messages interseting to say the least;

http://www.jjhuddle.com/discus/messages/460259/476464.php

Being an OSU fan, I would be rooting for the opponent but wouldn't it be something if a scenario worked out that made this come true?

I think USC looks vulnerable. IMO, it looks like WV or Louisville has the best shot. Though if Rutgers is good enough to beat both of them, I don't see how a 1 loss Notre Dame team could be picked ahead of them.

Why there is no Div 1 playoff is beyond me. If all other divisions can do it why can't they? The argument about missing classes makes no sense. Look at baseball. I know the OSU team goes to Florida for a week or two to play spring games. And a playoff system during the winter holidays would make them miss more classes than that?

Thanks for the optimism guys,but I think we will finish about 9-3 with losses against West Virginia,Louisville, and probably Pittsburgh. My WebpageJust a few years ago, it would have taken us three seasons to get nine wins. The level of interest here in New Jersey is probably not at the level that the Fighting Sioux or Bisons are in North Dakota,but here is a good article from today's Star-Ledger about our improvement and the benefits to the university--

GO NORTH DAKOTA!

GO RUTGERS!

Money

I've never understood this argument. A DI playoff system wouldn't make more money than a Bowl System? Bull****. Instead of only playing one post season game, USC, Michigan, Notre Dame, etc. can play upwards of 3 or 4, depending on the number of teams. They can keep all those stupid bowls that no one gives a crap about. How does this not make more money? :)

I've never understood this argument. A DI playoff system wouldn't make more money than a Bowl System? Bull****. Instead of only playing one post season game, USC, Michigan, Notre Dame, etc. can play upwards of 3 or 4, depending on the number of teams. They can keep all those stupid bowls that no one gives a crap about. How does this not make more money? :huh:

The BCS honchos will do and say anything to maintain the current "system", if you can even call it that. Repeat the same crap over and over and people will start believing it. Sounds familiar to those of us fighting to keep the Sioux name, doesn't it? :)

All of their arguments are bunk. The Bowl "System" would make more money than a playoff (bunk), the regular season would be diminished (bunk), the student-athlete would miss too much classroom time (bunk), the season would be too long (bunk), the "little guy" in D-IA college football would be hurt by a playoff system (bunk).......

Bunk, bunk, bunk, bunk, bunk!!! ;)

Some BCS-ites have even went as far as to trash the NCAA Basketball Tournament for diminishing the regular season and being too long and watered-down and as proof that the BCS is somehow better. I can't really blame them for doing this, because their "system" is totally indefensible, so they have to trash the system another sport uses (with great success, I might add). But if you try to use March Madness as an example as to why football should have a playoff system, they respond with "that's apples and oranges, you can't use that comparison" blah, blah, blah. It's okay if the BCS-ites do it, but if you are a playoff supporter, it's wrong. :(

This is one major reason UND (or NDSU for that matter) should NEVER go D-IA in football. Ever. We'll never qualify for a bowl game that anyone cares about and if there is a playoff in the future, we'll probably never qualify for that, either. At least in D-IAA, we'll be able to make our mark as national title contenders (as soon as we get our scholarships up, that is).

The complicated political entanglements in D-IA football are what keep a playoff from happening, not "money". At least our football program doesn't have to deal with this garbage.

End rant. :)

Have you seen Notre Dame's schedule?

Notre Shame has nothing to brag about with their schedule. They have played two ranked teams, and got their asses handed to them by one (Michigan), and squeaked by the other (GT). Unfortunately, the public loves them, and they would be unfairly slotted above an undefeated Rutgers team in the NC. But, then the happy thing is we can watch the Irish get slaughtered by whoever they play (eg tOSU's throttling of them in last years Fiesta Bowl)

Why do so many people whine about Notre Dame? I mean they aren't even going to be in the NC game unless they win out and Texas, Florida and Auburn each lose another game and the winner of WVU/Louisville loses a game. And if that happens, how the hell don't they deserve to be the NC game?

Oops sorry, I didn't mean to bring facts into hating on Notre Dame. :)

Why do so many people whine about Notre Dame? I mean they aren't even going to be in the NC game unless they win out and Texas, Florida and Auburn each lose another game and the winner of WVU/Louisville loses a game. And if that happens, how the hell don't they deserve to be the NC game?

Facts don't apply to Notre Dame.

That's why they get to keep their nickname. :(;)

There is a fullback from Rutgers who could give Kleinsasser a few pointers about hurldling would-be tacklers instead of catching the ball, running for three yards, and then getting up-ended by a db who dives at his legs.

Jimmy Kleinsasser also plays in thee NFL against thee best football players in all of the land. Until Mr. Brian Leonard is a starter in thee NFL, I think we can say that the only pointers that should be given out would be to Mr. Leonard considering he hasn't did anything yet on the next level let alone make it.

Jimmy Kleinsasser also plays in thee NFL against thee best football players in all of the land. Until Mr. Brian Leonard is a starter in thee NFL, I think we can say that the only pointers that should be given out would be to Mr. Leonard considering he hasn't did anything yet on the next level let alone make it.

Too bad Jim Kleinsasser can't play WITH the best players in the land. :)

Sheesh, someone's been suckling from thee Jimmy Kleinsasser teet a little too long. Are you saying the helmet and shoulder pads are heavier in the NFL, thereby preventing any sudden displays of athleticism? Are you calling thee Jim Kleinsasser stupid because there's no way he could learn how to hurdle a 200 lb. DB? Half of these guys don't even want to get hit, so they jump at his legs with their eyes closed tight and thoughts of pool parties at MC Hammer's house echo in their head. Stop saying thee, and stop saying thee Jimmy Kleinsasser isn't athletic enough to pull off a sweet move ala Brian Leonard.

You brought zero facts into hating on Notre Dame. You just highlighted what would have to take place in order for Notre Dame to be in the BCS game, which was not part of the initial 'whining'. It was more to do with the initial quote that said 'have you seen Notre Dame's schedule' - Implying that they had a challenging schedule, which is a common fallacy, and a misperception that Notre Dame fans like to throw out there in order to gain credibility for their program.

In addition to that, the initial point was that a one loss ND team would get to the BCS champ before a zero loss Rutgers team, which probably would happen. And that would be an injustice, as Rutgers would have one fewer loss, and have a comparable SOS (Pittsburgh, Lousiville, West Virginia as the three hardest teams for Rutgers, and Michigan (L), USC, and GT for ND).

If we want to talk facts though, we can talk Notre Dames bowl record over the past 10-15 years :(

So let's assume Rutgers and Notre Dame run the table. This puts the Irish at #2 and the Knights at #3 in the polls assuming the Michigan/Ohio State winner is #1. If Notre Dame ends up in the NC game above Rutgers, isn't it all because of where each team started in the polls at the beginning of the season? How is that Notre Dame's fault? There is no conspiracy here to favor Notre Dame. Any team that starts the season ranked in the Top Ten has a huge advantage over a team that isn't even ranked, not just Notre Dame. This just proves once again how stupid the whole BCS system is.