SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs MAINE @ The Ralph

AZSIOUX

I expect the sioux to be ready to go on Friday, with such a close loss last weekend. I agree with dagies, that the sioux need to establish home ice advantage -since we seem to struggle with that in recent years. Expect friday the Sioux to bring guns blazing with a 4-0 game and saturday to be a nail bitter 1-1. If we sweep I would be surprised, but that's o.k.! :)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where does this idea come from that the Sioux struggle on home ice? They are 70-34-9 at the new Ralph where they've had only one losing season at home (7-10-1 in 01-02).

We are so spoiled. The fans of most college teams would love our home-ice advantage.

Last year the Sioux were 7-8 at home heading into February. This includes being swept at home by WI, MN and SCSU.

There are some posts that agree with me.

Try this one.

DH: We had a team that did what it needed to do. We needed to put ourselves in a position to compete at the end of the year, and we did that. We had bumps in the road along the way, but our players reacted to them the right way. They continued to try to climb that mountain. We had 29 wins going into the frozen four. That

I'm hoping the Sioux establish home ice advantage better than recent history, at least early in the season. Maine is a team with another very strong goaltender. If they play a strong defensive game like Bucky, then I guess anything can happen. A few breakdowns defensively by the Sioux, and a solid effort by Maine could make life difficult.

Hopefully the Sioux take care of their own zone this weekend. If so, I like our chances to sweep. I think the Sioux will have the edge offensively. Defense and goaltending can be the great equalizer. Would be fun games to see (they all are, aren't they?).

I wonder if they'll be on TV in Blackduck, MN...

Not in Blackduck, but if you drive up/down the road to Turtle River or Northhome, you can get it on Paul Bunyan Cable, channel 64. It is part of a premium sports package that costs @ $7/month.

Last year the Sioux were 7-8 at home heading into February.

True, but they ended with a 15-9-0 record at home, a winning percentage of .600. That included being 4-1 at home when it really counted -- during the playoffs against MSU-Mankato, Michigan and Holy Cross. With as many freshmen as the Sioux played last season, their home ice record could have been much worse.

Do you count all of last season or just the part that supports your point? Do you forget about the past five seasons or just the part of one season that supports your point?

True, but they ended with a 15-9-0 record at home, a winning percentage of .600. That included being 4-1 at home when it really counted -- during the playoffs against MSU-Mankato, Michigan and Holy Cross. With as many freshmen as the Sioux played last season, their home ice record could have been much worse.

Do you count all of last season or just the part that supports your point? Do you forget about the past five seasons or just the part of one season that supports your point?

Me:

I'm hoping the Sioux establish home ice advantage better than recent history, at least early in the season.

At the time I made this post I didn't bother to look up if our early season troubles were last year or the year before so I left my comment a bit vague. But essentially what I was trying to say was that recently there was a time when we struggled early in the season. I have friends with season tickets and they went longer than they cared to without seeing a win at home. I remember hearing that from them.

So yes, I was just counting the first part of last season because my point was "early in the season". I can see how the "at least early in the season" can be misunderstood to be more inclusive of the whole year.

I'm well aware of the arguments about whether the Sioux have been as good in the new Ralph as in the old and a believer that they are, overall, just fine in the new Ralph. However, last year proved they can have a rough stretch at home and I'd prefer if we don't repeat that.

At the time I made this post I didn't bother to look up if our early season troubles were last year or the year before so I left my comment a bit vague. But essentially what I was trying to say was that recently there was a time when we struggled early in the season. I have friends with season tickets and they went longer than they cared to without seeing a win at home. I remember hearing that from them.

So yes, I was just counting the first part of last season because my point was "early in the season". I can see how the "at least early in the season" can be misunderstood to be more inclusive of the whole year.

I'm well aware of the arguments about whether the Sioux have been as good in the new Ralph as in the old and a believer that they are, overall, just fine in the new Ralph. However, last year proved they can have a rough stretch at home and I'd prefer if we don't repeat that.

I didn't know what time period you were including in your "recent history" comment. My point is that if the Sioux struggle at home early this season, but finish strong as they did last season, so what? I'd trade a few early season home losses for a trip to the Frozen Four any day. I just don't think success at home means that much at this point in the season, especially when playing a good team such as Maine.

The 2002-2003 Sioux team went undefeated at home until Feb. 28. Then, after barely making the WCHA Final Five, they were bounced from that tournament after one game by UMD and bounced out of the NCAA playoffs after one game by Ferris State.

Early success at home doesn't translate into a strong finish. I'd love to see the Sioux sweep Maine at the Ralph this weekend. But if they get a split of even (heaven forbid) get swept, it's not the end of the season.

I didn't know what time period you were including in your "recent history" comment. My point is that if the Sioux struggle at home early this season, but finish strong as they did last season, so what? I'd trade a few early season home losses for a trip to the Frozen Four any day. I just don't think success at home means that much at this point in the season, especially when playing a good team such as Maine.

The 2002-2003 Sioux team went undefeated at home until Feb. 28. Then, after barely making the WCHA Final Five, they were bounced from that tournament after one game by UMD and bounced out of the NCAA playoffs after one game by Ferris State.

Early success at home doesn't translate into a strong finish. I'd love to see the Sioux sweep Maine at the Ralph this weekend. But if they get a split of even (heaven forbid) get swept, it's not the end of the season.

Absolutely. It's not the end of the world. But a few points early in the season can help keep you from worrying if your team has enough points to even make the playoffs!

Can anyone tell me what time the "tape delayed" broadcast start time is on ESPNU for Saturday night UND/Maine Game?

Many thanks! :)

If you scroll to the bottom of the men's hockey schedule on Fightingsioux.com, it states that the tape-delayed game vs. Maine is "set" to air on October 22nd at 2pm CST. Take it for what its worth.

If you scroll to the bottom of the men's hockey schedule on Fightingsioux.com, it states that the tape-delayed game vs. Maine is "set" to air on October 22nd at 2pm CST. Take it for what its worth.

Thanks, I guess I will pick it up via internet radio feed again....should be a great game to be in attendence for!

to anyone out there............just wondering if anyone from siouxsports has one of those SIOUX JERSEYS WITH WALSH ON THE BACK that they auctioned off i believe for cancer? that was such a great thing to do.

back to topic

forney is likely to be out so that leaves bishop, miller, vandevelde and genoway to fill the 4th line. i say miller sits but that is pure guessing

to anyone out there............just wondering if anyone from siouxsports has one of those SIOUX JERSEYS WITH WALSH ON THE BACK that they auctioned off i believe for cancer? that was such a great thing to do.

back to topic

forney is likely to be out so that leaves bishop, miller, vandevelde and genoway to fill the 4th line. i say miller sits but that is pure guessing

I'm guessing that they will rotate.

From reading in between the lines on PCM's recap, I think Friday will be Bishop-Genoway-Miller and Saturday will be Bishop-Genoway-Vandevelde (or some combination).

If Miller doesn't play on Friday, I'd expect to see him play on Saturday. Same thing for Vandevelde. Maybe Martens will make an appearance? Who knows.

We have some serious competition for that 4th line:

Bishop -- good speed

Miller -- had a great Fri game against QU, would like to see more of him

VandeVelde -- looks to be getting more used to the speed of the WCHA

Genoway -- the coaches must like how he is playing, as they are putting him at forward if there aren't any D spots available

Forney -- injured for now...but once he comes back, he has the talent to be out there as well

Martens -- much like Miller, he looks much improved from last season

6 players vying for 3 spots. I'm really not sure if our 4th line will ever be 'regular' this season, as with all those players trying to get in the lineup, I wouldn't be surprised to see Hakstol shuffle them pretty consistently.