SiouxSports.com Forum

UND at Denver - Game 1

PCM

Although Spee was with Parise for a shift in the OT, I think the third period was Parise, Bochenski, Notes and then Lundbohm, Massen, Spiewak - these would be the lines we're most used to, IMO. Yep, this experiment lasted about a period longer than the last one, which had Parise with Massen (I think). Blais doesn't hesitate to pull the plug on his own ideas, if he doesn't think they're working.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

let's not get ahead of ourselves.........it was a great comeback tie. it must feel like a LOSS to Denver being up two goals going into the third. i wonder where all the energy came from in the third...........? we played like we did in the first half of the year. defensemen jumping the play and forwards creating opporuities rather than settling for a bad angle. i hope we can build on this and finish the rest of the season strong. after the game, my gut feeling is that the Sioux will win 4-2 tomorrow. ;) Spiewak was awesome tonight! Parise was awesome tonight! let's get Bochenski going on Sat. ???

I watched the game on Rocky Mountain Fox, seemed like the Sioux controlled the third period and the overtime pretty well. If we could just erase the second period!

It was such a pleasure to watch a game on fox that didn't have the Wooger and his buddy saying "Gophers, gophers, gophers, gophers...etc.". The Denver announcers, especially Sandy Clough, talked evenly about the Sioux and the Pioneers and were especially impressed with Spiewak's intensity.

Hopefully that third period and overtime will carry over the tonights game. I have tix and am heading down to Magnuss Arena tonight. ???

It was great seeing the Sioux on FSN Rocky Mountain via Dish. Sioux looked very impressive to me in the Third and OT. I notice the Sioux making some heavy hits, there was good puck movement and this created lots of scoring opportunities. Spiekwak is THE MAN! Spie played with great speed, grit and the leadership of a Senior. Brandt made several crucial saves, did not give up too many rebounds and stopped a big 3-1 break late in the 2nd that could have been lights out fo the Sioux. Way to take 1 point Sioux! This could be a HUGE point down the stretch......hell there all big points at this point!

elmduf I have to agree with you on the assessment of the FSN Rocky Mountain announcers. These guys were very professional on their analysis of both teams, noting both teams strengths and weaknesses.

Unlike Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dumbs#!t covering the Gophers on FSN North. Gophers...man the mere mention of the name causes me nausea.

After reading the Virg Foss story in today's Herald, I think it's safe to say that Virg drops in on SiouxSports.com now and then. ???

I came to this board Friday night because USCHO was so slow and others were already doing a good job of updating the score. If the same thing is happening tonight, I'll probably be back here posting updates. I know that it gets very frustrating to deal with USCHO on game nights.

From listening to the game on the radio, it sounded as if Brandt let in one soft goal, but made some big stops to prevent the Pioneers from putting the game away. What did those of you who saw the game think of Brandt's play?

Tonight, the Sioux need to get off to a better start. We really need guys like Parise, Bochenski and Massen to score some goals, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Mike Prpich or someone on the third or fourth line was the hero tonight for the Sioux.

I was lucky enough to watch the game last night (and lucky enough to be married to a wonderful woman who also enjoys watching the Sioux - making it a GREAT way to spend a fine Valentine's evening).

Here are my observations:

Brandt - Made three big saves, one when Leinweber fell down and two where he kind of got out of position, but luckily was fast enough to get back. The kick save on the post was pretty, even if he made it tougher than it was. All-in-all, he made the "2 or 3 big saves" everyone keep stalking about. First goal was Marvin's fault (or possibly a forrward not rotating down), left Bull all alone in front of the net and he buried it, no chance for Brandt. Goal number 2 was a bad luck deflection off of Schneider. I though goal number 3 was soft, five-holed Brandt, but it looked like he was in position to make the save. I would like to see Ranfranz get a shot tonight. If he looks shaky, pull him ASAP, but give the guy a shot.

Periods 1 and 2 - The team sat back and let Denver bring the play to them. It wasn't pretty.

Period 3 and OT - D started jumping Denver at the offensive blue line and took away center ice passing - looked more like they played earlier in the year. DU had a hard time breaking center ice. Also looked like all of the physical play may have started wearing down DU. Offense generated quite a few quality scoring chances with Berkoehl making some good saves.

I noticed that they were rolling four lines for the majority of the game, sans late in the thrid and OT.

Power play - Non-existent after the first one (I didn't realize it was ranked third in the nation, kind of surprised me).

Penalty kill - not good until Fylling's penalty in the third. Can the more knowledgable hockey strategists out there tell me why the Sioux kept packing in towards the goal? It looked like Denver had their point set up halfway between the blue line and the goal. They'd move in close and the Sioux would keep backing up; it was scaring the heck out of me. I understand playing a small, passive box, but this looked like the sardines defense.

If the Sioux come out with the instensity they showed in the third, tonight's game should be good for the Sioux faithful.

PCM - I will look forward to your updates tonight. Game is not on Dish (FSN Rocky Mountain) tonight. Your information on the game is greatly appreciated by Sioux fans like myself out of Radio / TV coverage area.

Let's get two points tonight!!!! Go Sioux!

On the radio last night they said that Jason Notermann had a banged up wrist. Does anyone know when he got hurt and what was the extent of the injury. I also noticed that Colby Genoway wasn't playing last night. What is up with that? :)

PCM - I will look forward to your updates tonight. Game is not on Dish (FSN Rocky Mountain) tonight. Your information on the game is greatly appreciated by Sioux fans like myself out of Radio / TV coverage area.

I'm confused??!!!

If you come online for updates why don't you just click on www.xl93.com, click on the Sioux logo and listen to the game online??? Sometimes it isn't the best but it sure bet nothing!!!!

I was going to ask the same question, that's why I put the link to the internet broadcast in my post. I like the score update threads because if I can't be by my computer when the game is taking place, I like to come back later that night and check the update thread...rather than simply looking at a boxscore. It gives me a better feel for the game.

Blais said during the pregame last night that he only brought 20 players because only 20 players deserved to make the trip and he was sticking with those 20 players this whole weekend.

Blais has spoken highly of Genoway and his potential in the past and perhaps not making the trip is meant to be a wake-up call to Colby and get him on his game.