SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs QUINNIPIAC

AZSIOUX

logos_siouxhead.gifVS a-qubobcat150.jpg

Fighting Sioux - I think we all know about this team ???

i guess the only question will be who gets the healthy scratches. i say foyt and martens and forney, vandevelde and bishop will dress.

Quinnipiac Bobcats (ECACHL)

Quinnipiac University

Founded: 1929

Enrollment: 5,571

Colors: Blue and Gold

http://quinnipiacathletics.fansonly.com/sp...ockey-body.html

Head Coach: Rand Pecknold (Connecticut College '90)

Overall/Quinnipiac Record: 222-136-33, 12th season

GOALIE - Bud Fisher.Sophmore. 2005/06 record, 18-14-1., 2.56 GAA, .904 SV%

2005/06 record - overall 20-18-1 conference 8-13-1

top 7 scorers from last season return

finished tied for 9th in conference out of 12 teams in 2005/06

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

logos_siouxhead.gifVS a-qubobcat150.jpg

Fighting Sioux - I think we all know about this team ???

i guess the only question will be who gets the healthy scratches. i say foyt and genoway then forney and bishop will dress.

Quinnipiac Bobcats (ECACHL)

Quinnipiac University

Founded: 1929

Enrollment: 5,571

Colors: Blue and Gold

http://quinnipiacathletics.fansonly.com/sp...ockey-body.html

Head Coach: Rand Pecknold (Connecticut College '90)

Overall/Quinnipiac Record: 222-136-33, 12th season

GOALIE - Bud Fisher.Sophmore. 2005/06 record, 18-14-1., 2.56 GAA, .904 SV%

2005/06 record - overall 20-18-1 conference 8-13-1

top 7 scorers from last season return

i noticed that they had lost to michigan last year twice and cornell everytime they played(im pretty sure 4times), and besides that they are winning against stereotypically "weak" teams...my thoughts are that UND will sweep, but it will be similar to how they played against the bisons...which is relying more on the individual talents that UND has...i dont think that these will be easy wins though, Q is a hard working team.

Alright after seeing one exhibition game now how does everyone see the forward lines this weekend. Some people say keep Osh and Toews together and others say not to. I didn't get to see the game but I would like to see them split up myself. My lines would be something like:

Duncan-Toews-Forney?

Porter-Oshie-Kozek

Zajac-Kaip-Vandevelde

Fabian-Watkins-Miller or Bishop

I kept the Kaip line together because it sounded as if Hak liked that line yesterday. Wasn't sure on Forney or Bishop because I didn't see Bishop play and Forney hasn't suited up yet. Forney was put there because I didn't know who else to put there.

It is really difficult to think lines after Sunday's game. It was a typical "we just barely started practice" outing. Long periods of choppy play broken up by occasional flashes of brilliance. Duncan's goal was a heckuva shot; Toews' was just plain pretty. Fabian and Bishop both scored through nice hustle, sort of garbage-like, but hard-nosed, hard-working efforts both.

I really think Toews and Oshie have to skate on different lines; I think putting those two together on a regular shift will produce awesome highlight reel material, but it just makes defending the Sioux too easy. Putting them out together on the power play or penalty kill makes sense, but that's as far as I'd like to see Hak go with this experiment.

As much as I'd like to pick the lines, I just can't based on watching Sunday's effort.

A nice takeaway from the game: the defense looks good.

Fabian and Bishop both scored through nice hustle, sort of garbage-like, but hard-nosed, hard-working efforts both.

In fairness, you just described every Fabian goal...

As much as I'd like to pick the lines, I just can't based on watching Sunday's effort.

Good thing we have Hak to do it for us.

I thought Bishop looked very good & I agree with Mike & said to my wife I bet we don't see those three (Toews - Duncan - Oshie) together other than PP

Oshie actually did'nt handle the puck like I wanted to see (maybe over hustled) ? ???

Keep toews and oshie off the same line, keep duncan and toews together, they like to be more fancy and should stay together, look at the play yesterday. Keep oshie and kozek together as a powerful duo who are more aggressive on the puck rather than having to score fancy goals. TJ didnt do much yesterday, he seemed like he was trying to be to fancy and not enough agression and that is not him.

My 2 lines, obviously forney can mix a lot of this up, don't know his style enough. Let's not forget about fabian, god did he look great yesterday. too early to determine the other two lines:

porter-toews-duncan

kozek-kaip-oshie

Also keep radke and finley together on D, or finley and jones, need to keep enforcers together, and players of the same style together rather than splitting them up

D lines:

Lee-Chorney

Bina-Genoway/Jones

Radke-Finley/Jones

Lastly, right now phil needs to be in goal, but we need to give anthony a couple chances. So he gave up his first shot, but now he's given himself a challenge to win back the fans from the start. Phil looked slow in net, and i miss the way jordy plays the puck. Personally, im trying to like phil, but between the pipes did not look good yesterday.

I'm done with this run on sentence

O yea, we need to work on our passing and freeze some pucks before friday

mikeypat.........just curious if you could use some examples of how phil looked slow? he gave up 1 goal. he looked fine to me. not many great chances i guess. obviously you will need to have phil prove to yourself that he is the man. i think he will prove that especially that he will be given the chance to on a every weekend basis.

on a side note, no fence to JPAR but he is gone now and has moved on to lowell so to me he has nothing to do with anything with the sioux this year and beyond.. i loved having jordy on the ice every night but that era is over. its phils time to shine so lets give him a chance ot prove himself or NOT prove himself.

oh yeah, i will not miss the way jpar handled the puck ???

i agree splitting up toews and oshie. makes for 2 VERY good lines. keep duncan with toews. grieco will get his chances i believe but if phil wins then he should stay in net for the most part.

im very excited to see forney play this coming weekend. bishop, forney, zajac and vandevelde sure have great size for forwards and i hope they all can contribute in some way.

mikeypat.........just curious if you could use some examples of how phil looked slow? he gave up 1 goal. he looked fine to me. not many great chances i guess. obviously you will need to have phil prove to yourself that he is the man. i think he will prove that especially that he will be given the chance to on a every weekend basis.

on a side note, no fence to JPAR but he is gone now and has moved on to lowell so to me he has nothing to do with anything with the sioux this year and beyond.. i loved having jordy on the ice every night but that era is over. its phils time to shine so lets give him a chance ot prove himself or NOT prove himself.

oh yeah, i will not miss the way jpar handled the puck ???

i agree splitting up toews and oshie. makes for 2 VERY good lines. keep duncan with toews. grieco will get his chances i believe but if phil wins then he should stay in net for the most part.

im very excited to see forney play this coming weekend. bishop, forney, zajac and vandevelde sure have great size for forwards and i hope they all can contribute in some way.

phil just seemed to have some slow reactions in net. I don't what it was he just did not seem quick to react. Can't remember any huge examples. It may just honestly be that Jordan was such a strong goalie in net and were just used to him. As for my comment on jpar playing the puck. I hated when Jpar would make stupid mistakes coming out of the net at wrong times, everyone hated it. But I love that Jpar had two assists, seeing an oppurtunity down ice skating out and making a pass up ice. Phil simply plays the puck behind the net, yes smart and by the book, but at the same time teams can watch tape and really get to know our breakout

I like some of the line suggestions.

One thing I will say is that I disagree with mikeypat in that putting the enforcers together on a pairing isn't a great idea unless we're talking penalty kill. Having an offensive minded dman paired with a defensive minded dman brings a balance to the blue line. Now with the likes of Radke, Lee, Chorney, Genoway, and (to a certain extent) Bina, the blue line is becoming more and more a part of the offensive scheme of the team rather than the days of old (Dmen play mainly defense with a few here and there contributing offensively).

I think it should be:

Lee-Chorney

Jones-Radke

Finley-Bina

Another reason to have Oshie and Toews on different lines is to help the team out after PKs. I expect that those two will be the #1 PK unit. As such if they are killing alot of penalties (hey, we have Jones ??? ), they will be mixed in with players that are perhaps fresher. Same thing for Fabian and Kaip who would be my choices for PK unit #2.

Another reason to have Oshie and Toews on different lines is to help the team out after PKs. I expect that those two will be the #1 PK unit. As such if they are killing alot of penalties (hey, we have Jones ??? ), they will be mixed in with players that are perhaps fresher. Same thing for Fabian and Kaip who would be my choices for PK unit #2.

Fabian-Kaip and Oshie-Toews are knock out PK combos. I think an alternate could be Watkins as well.

From CSTV's season preview:

"The Bobcats return 10 forwards, including one of the ECACHL's top lines in Bryan Leitch, Ben Nelson and Jamie Bates. Those three players accounted for 124 points a season ago and were one of the highest scoring lines in the nation. Leitch was named the 2006 ECACHL Rookie of the Year, while Bates and Nelson both finished among the league leaders in scoring."

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-hockey/stories/100206aah.html

It looks like Quinnipiac likes to score goals and push the play. That should make it fun hockey to watch. However, it also means UND's defense (played by all the players, not just the defensemen) will get a test. I'm sure the UND coaches are stressing the importance of the series and the quality of the opponent, but it's just human nature that the team might not be "up" as much as they could be, especially with Wisconsin looming the following week.

Also, with the Bobcats having a top line, I wonder if Hak might match someone against them. Maybe a Fabian/Kaip/Watkins line. Kaip and Watkins can both really skate, and all three have solid bodies to make life difficult for the opponent. Last year, Smaby would have been on the ice with the other team's best line; who will be UND's shutdown defensive pair this year?

From CSTV's season preview:

"The Bobcats return 10 forwards, including one of the ECACHL's top lines in Bryan Leitch, Ben Nelson and Jamie Bates. Those three players accounted for 124 points a season ago and were one of the highest scoring lines in the nation. Leitch was named the 2006 ECACHL Rookie of the Year, while Bates and Nelson both finished among the league leaders in scoring."

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-hockey/stories/100206aah.html

It looks like Quinnipiac likes to score goals and push the play. That should make it fun hockey to watch. However, it also means UND's defense (played by all the players, not just the defensemen) will get a test. I'm sure the UND coaches are stressing the importance of the series and the quality of the opponent, but it's just human nature that the team might not be "up" as much as they could be, especially with Wisconsin looming the following week.

Also, with the Bobcats having a top line, I wonder if Hak might match someone against them. Maybe a Fabian/Kaip/Watkins line. Kaip and Watkins can both really skate, and all three have solid bodies to make life difficult for the opponent. Last year, Smaby would have been on the ice with the other team's best line; who will be UND's shutdown defensive pair this year?

My guess is that some combination of Jones, Bina, and Finley will be the defensive D-men.

Bina and Finley stay on same line

Radke and Lee..

Bishop, Duncan and Oshie

toews, kozek and porter

Grieco goalie if lamoureux is shaky but I think he'll be fine!

Go SIOUX!

I like those combinations too, did anyone notice Lee seemed to play the body more in first game.

Edited by Goon

Yeah he seemed more agressive huh, specially for an exhibition game. I think he'll be a bigger hitter this year now that he has a year under his belt.

I hope chorney plays a solid game like 'i thought' he did sunday. Once they develop some good lines and get some more practice/plays going, I think they'll be a fun team to watch(not that there not already ??? ). Is it me or does it seem like are team is slightly, i mean slightly bigger in size this year?

Well, how many freaking times are we going to hear the same b.s. from another casual hockey watcher about how Lee needs to pick up the physical aspect of his game? Brian Lee plays some of the best positional defense of any college hockey player anywhere. He is almost always in the right spot, with the right angle on his man, and because of that he doesn't have to be laying smack on his opponent. I've watched his play for years and as I've said here many times, he doesn't play smash-mouth D; he never has, he never will.

Hell, when Moorhead and Warroad hooked up a couple years ago in that overtime game in Moorhead, Aaron Marvin — AARON MARVIN, who's not what you call a big bruiser — absolutely flattened Brian. Knocked him flat on his ass. Clean, open ice hit and in no uncertain terms laid Lee out. I'm surprised Brian got up as quickly as he did.

What torques me is people who are used to (or maybe have just heard of) big, bruising Dmen like Matt Greene and Commie, and that becomes the prototype defenseman.

Maybe I shouldn't have called the dope a "dope". Sorry. But watch a little hockey before you come on here and start making statements that are not only stupid, but unfounded.

(And no, my night's been okay. My not-quite-ex did her best to make today a bad day, though. Thanks for your concern.) ???