SiouxSports.com Forum

The Great Dakota Football Rebellion ?

star2city

When the likely break up of the NCC is all said and done, it would be interesting if someone could do a series of stories on the NCC, such as this one: The Great Texas Football Rebellion:

As with the breakup of the Southwest Conference, the NCC's final decade almost certainly included and will include a number of strategic, serendipitous, or accidental events and unintended consequences. Those events may never come to light until the personnel involved are no longer in their positions and freely able to speak on the subject.

[url=http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA081405.2N.SWCmain.1ca3d21.html]Some interesting tidbits from the Southwest Conference

I actually would have liked for the whole NCC to turn into a DI conference, they would have needed 6 of the schools to commit. the issue of conference affiliation would have been addressed for the schools and travel for the most part wouldn't have changed, which would have helped the financing issue. But, I also realize that the new conference would have had to wait years for an auto bid in sports which I know is big.

Great reads.

I just read through all of those articles. I wasn't the big college sports nut when all of this happened that I am now. So it was interesting to read how all of this happened. It'll definately be interesting to watch and see what happens to the NCC in 2 years. And how will it affect the NSIC and DAC?

Great post, but I would put SCSU at the wrong time, but location for SCSU is great.

It really should have stated: wrong person (Saigo), wrong time, but great location. By all rights, SCSU could have been a great ally to UND to pair with to go to a Midwestern conference, but Saigo had his own self-righteous agenda. :silly: Personality conflicts can change the way conference affiliations come down: if SCSU gets badly bitten by the NCC unraveling, Huskie fans should lay it squarely at the feet of Saigo, who's own agenda could very well irreparably harm SCSU athletics. Saigo's replacement will be stuck with explaining the conference mess Saigo left behind. UMD's chancellor is no better. Unfortunate for their fans.

I nominate Star2City to the UND Conference Search Committee.

If UND has a need to start a Conference Search Committteee at this late date, we are in huge trouble (especially if I'm on it. ;) ) If UND has done this DI move correctly, the whole DI study issue should basicly be a rubber stamp of what an unofficial conference search committee (Harmeson & others) have already accomplished.

The better question in that scenario: What's U of Montana's next move?

SUU will get invited over Montana's departed body. The BSC needs to appease Montana's demands, otherwise both Montana and MSU are gone. If SUU gets an invite, that is a signal the BSC is on its deathbed.

If Montana can only pull strings to invite one school (to keep it semi-content in the Big Sky), what would it be? Another research university with a med school and law school just like itself. Idaho and Wyoming are taken. UND is still out there.

Not that it matters much, but Montana actually does not have a med school.

Where is Montana going to go?

It may be true that Montana fans are tired of the BSC adding former junior colleges, but so what?

Fans are not the athletic directors.

I don't see Montana (or MSU for that matter) being able to do anything about it.

Not that it matters much, but Montana actually does not have a med school.
Even though I've been to Missoula, didn't realize Montana didn't have a med school. For that matter, neither do Idaho or Wyoming. :silly: If academics are truly important to Big Sky Presidents, all the more reason for UND to be included in a conference like the Big Sky. ;)

Where is Montana going to go?
We've discussed this before, they had an invite to the WAC.

Even though I've been to Missoula, didn't realize Montana didn't have a med school. For that matter, neither do Idaho or Wyoming. :silly: If academics are truly important to Big Sky Presidents, all the more reason for UND to be included in a conference like the Big Sky. ;)

We've discussed this before, they had an invite to the WAC.

If I know my stuff correctly, UND actually allows so many spots for Montana students to get into Med school. Minnesota used to do something similar for ND residents to get into dental school at the UM-TC, but I don't believe they do it anymore.

If I know my stuff correctly, UND actually allows so many spots for Montana students to get into Med school. Minnesota used to do something similar for ND residents to get into dental school at the UM-TC, but I don't believe they do it anymore.

don't know about the UND stuff

by Alaska, Wyoming, Idaho and Montana have the WWAMI program setup with the University of Washington where students take the the first year of med school in their home state

http://www.montana.edu/wwwwami/

don't know about the UND stuff

by Alaska, Wyoming, Idaho and Montana have the WWAMI program setup with the University of Washington where students take the the first year of med school in their home state

http://www.montana.edu/wwwwami/

Being a Healthcare Administrator in Wyoming, I can say that this is true.........Our students finish at Washington.