SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux on TV

BisonSuck

I'm considering getting Direct TV in Fargo, ND. Does anyone have an idea of how many Sioux games I might be able to get this season? I'm guessing not a lot, but I was hoping there might be some negotiations to get more games on dish or cable. Thanks

I think you'll get more Sioux games if you go with cableone. (Channel 44 midcontinent I believe)

For the regular season last year, between all the FSN's, ESPNU, WDAZ and CSTV, I think there was 8 or 9 Sioux games broadcasted. Does anyone know when the tv schedules will be finalized for WDAZ and FSSN at least?

BTW, you need to upgrade to get both CSTV, the FSN sports package, and ESPNU. You are probably better off with Midcontinent if they have FSSN. I wish I had that as an option! If you like watching alot of college hockey from around the country, this is an excellent way to go, as you usually get 5-6 games per week on.

For the regular season last year, between all the FSN's, ESPNU, WDAZ and CSTV, I think there was 8 or 9 Sioux games broadcasted. Does anyone know when the tv schedules will be finalized for WDAZ and FSSN at least?

BTW, you need to upgrade to get both CSTV, the FSN sports package, and ESPNU. You are probably better off with Midcontinent if they have FSSN. I wish I had that as an option! If you like watching alot of college hockey from around the country, this is an excellent way to go, as you usually get 5-6 games per week on.

Okay heres the skinny on Directtv. Red Neck Sioux is correct about about having to upgrade to get CSTV and the entire FSN (Fox Sports Network) package. If you did not upgrade from the basic plus you would automatically get FSN North (carries nearly all the Gopher Games and a few others - mainly UMD). The Sports package upgrade that Redneck is talking about costs $9 and is worth it if you enjoy college hockey. The reason it is worth it is that you get all the FSN Regions and about 4-5 carry College Hockey on a regualr basis. CSTV has Friday Night Hockey and has games from all over the country. Last year the Sioux were on about 3-4 times. The other FSN Regions will allow you to see many of the Eastern Teams (as the NESN - North East Sports Network covers BC, BU, New Hampshire, etc..), CCHA action (FSN Detroit) and FSN Rocky Mountain (DU & CC). There was not one weekend last year that I could not get atleast 2-3 Hockey games from around the country. I would highly recommend this package to any College Hockey Fan! I plan to get another Satellite so that I will have the FSSN this upcoming season. From what I understand you can get the FSSN games for about $200 in equipment and no montly fee? I would check into this as I am not 100% sure. Good luck.

Okay heres the skinny on Directtv. Red Neck Sioux is correct about about having to upgrade to get CSTV and the entire FSN (Fox Sports Network) package. If you did not upgrade from the basic plus you would automatically get FSN North (carries nearly all the Gopher Games and a few others - mainly UMD). The Sports package upgrade that Redneck is talking about costs $9 and is worth it if you enjoy college hockey. The reason it is worth it is that you get all the FSN Regions and about 4-5 carry College Hockey on a regualr basis. CSTV has Friday Night Hockey and has games from all over the country. Last year the Sioux were on about 3-4 times. The other FSN Regions will allow you to see many of the Eastern Teams (as the NESN - North East Sports Network covers BC, BU, New Hampshire, etc..), CCHA action (FSN Detroit) and FSN Rocky Mountain (DU & CC). There was not one weekend last year that I could not get atleast 2-3 Hockey games from around the country. I would highly recommend this package to any College Hockey Fan!

the price on DirecTv is $12 if you have no other premiums. It goes down as you add premiums ???

I plan to get another Satellite so that I will have the FSSN this upcoming season. From what I understand you can get the FSSN games for about $200 in equipment and no montly fee? I would check into this as I am not 100% sure. Good luck.

correct

All home hockey games (and select road games) are on FSSN. A basic fixed dish setup will run you around 200 bucks. A motorized is a little more but you can scan other satellites up there. The dish is 30" and the receiver is designed to pick up the FSSN. Its like the old C-Band 9back yard dish) setups but a smaller dish

PSB has them. He posts here (during the season). www.psbsatellite.com

He's based in the Twin Cities but ships anywhere in the US ;)

DAZ only carried I think 3 games during the year.

SiouxFan5,...you would need a free to air system to pick up the games. There are dealers in Canada (www.kusat.com) is one that I have used before. They're in Montreal

ESPNU just played the UND/BC semifinal game last night. Though it was sad to be reminded of the loss, it was nice to see some Fighting Sioux hockey again. About a week and a half ago, they played the Holy Cross/Gopher loss game, which was entertaining as well. For anyone that can upgrade to receive ESPNU, I'd highly recommend this, as they have been playing a couple college hockey games from last season per week lately.

I am a transferred Sophomore at UND this fall and when I visted Grand Forks last May 2006 I stayed in a hotel in Fargo and they had a Sioux Sports channel that had friday and saturday's game and they advertised playing all away and home games of the Sioux besides a few that were on FSN against UM and UMD. I was wondering if anyone knows what I speak of. I hope we get all the away games on campus, I live in the Res halls this year.

Theres gotta be a channel that has em all even if I have to go off campus, cause any other team in the WCHA you can find a way to see em all. I mean I've lived in Minnesota my whole life and we have 5 D1 teams and if you live in the vicinity of the college you can catch the games on local tv channels. Hell, even Bemidji State televises there games if you live in Bemidji and there probably the least followed D1 hockey team in Minnesota. I'm not calling anyone wrong here or stating any facts I'm just stating how if there is no way to see the away Sioux game sin grand Forks on local TV than that is an extreme rarity.

If you combine FSSN (Fighting Sioux Sports Network) with a directtv or dish sports package (all Fox sports, CSTV, and ESPNU) you may pick up many of the Sioux series.

FSSN-all home games and maybe a couple of road series

FoxSports North -games vs. Minnesota

FoxSports North alternate- games vs. Wisconsin

CSTV and ESPNU - whatever college games they choose to televise, although ESPNU generally picks Sioux games at the REA, which are already televised on FSSN. There are no cable or satellite options in and around GF that televises all Sioux road games.

Theres gotta be a channel that has em all even if I have to go off campus, cause any other team in the WCHA you can find a way to see em all. I mean I've lived in Minnesota my whole life and we have 5 D1 teams and if you live in the vicinity of the college you can catch the games on local tv channels. Hell, even Bemidji State televises there games if you live in Bemidji and there probably the least followed D1 hockey team in Minnesota. I'm not calling anyone wrong here or stating any facts I'm just stating how if there is no way to see the away Sioux game sin grand Forks on local TV than that is an extreme rarity.

Minnesota is the only one with a big TV schedule because of their agreement with FSN (and MSC long ago)

St Clown is all home games and thats it

Mankato is all home games and that's it

UMD is 17 games a year. a mix of home & road

Bemidji is all home games and that's it

Now last year Charter started doing some "sharing" between the 4 teams above (MN excluded) on cable (since Charter is in the 4 towns above). So when UMD plays at St Cloud (and isnt on local TV) cable had them.

The main reason road games aren't carried (and we've been down this road before). The big one is money. If the home team isn't showing the game, then WDAZ has to send a whole crew to the opponents arena. This is the whole production crew and the truck to beam up the signal. That truck costs mucho gas money. They would have to pay for 2 signals (one from the arena to WDAZ and the other from the Ralph to cable companies. The original feed is raw (no graphics). Even if the opponent is doing the game, they still have to pay for the uplink.

A few TV crews have a "when you come here, you can use our feed and when we come there, we use yours". When UMD is on the road, most of the time they use the same feed as the home team but use UMD announcers. But again they have to pay for the uplink.