SiouxSports.com Forum

Fullerton Still Talking Big Sky Expansion

star2city

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a two way street. It goes both directions. *cough*(dumbass)*cough*

Well, if it is a "two way street", I know NDSU/Fargo hates UND out of jealousy, our Aero Space, our successful Dl hockey for decades, Engelstad Arena, larger enrollment..............whatever would it be that we would hate you for? Don't think it would be for jealousy.

The link 'star2city' provided:

http://www.scoutme.ca/index.cfm?go=content...mp;site=athlete

It's signed "- The Editors".

It seems to me that editors of a legitimate site wouldn't make things like that up.

Nothing on this page resembles anything even remotely close to news that UBC has a chance to get into the NCAA.

It might have well been a post on a message board.

Nothing on this page resembles anything even remotely close to news that UBC has a chance to get into the NCAA.

If you would have read this thread ;) , you would have found this:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...20486/-1/ZONES0

After licensing a new football bowl game in Toronto last month, the NCAA will study the possibility of allowing schools from outside the United States to become members.

Canada's University of British Columbia and St. Clair College have expressed interest in joining the association. The NCAA's highest policy-making group, the executive committee, asked for recommendations on the issue to be delivered in October.

NCAA spokesman Bob Williams stressed there is still much to learn, including how Canadian laws might affect NCAA rules, and that the executive committee only authorized the working group two weeks ago. Even with new member schools from the United States, he noted, "it's not an overnight process."

UBC athletic director Bob Phillip, who traveled to Indianapolis last year to meet with NCAA officials, said Canadian television markets might be part of the attraction to the NCAA.

As for UBC, which has 40,000 students, Phillip said "the attraction for us is basketball and hockey in Division I." But he mentioned another motivation, one that has been a contentious issue for years in Canadian college sports -- what schools may give athletes.

It might have well been a post on a message board.
Mplsbison, you wouldn't look like such an idiot if you would just read (listen) first, then write (speak). :lol:

The link 'star2city' provided:

http://www.scoutme.ca/index.cfm?go=content...mp;site=athlete

It's signed "- The Editors".

It seems to me that editors of a legitimate site wouldn't make things like that up.

You know what, it doesn't even matter if they do, so I'm not going to argue about them getting in or not (even though the NCAA consitution will have to be modified to do so). Lets say they get in. How does that help UND? Even if that school gets into the NCAA, its still an almost ludicrous connection between them and UND joining the big sky. This whole theory is so far out of touch with reality that I can hardly believe people are even discussing it. You realize theres a pretty decent chance that on the very small chance they are accepted to the NCAA, that they will go to a conference besides the big sky. And even on the even smaller chance that they are both accepted to the NCAA, want to join the big sky, and the big sky admits them, what is UND going to have to do with that? If they get in, why would the big sky not take their rival, simon frasier in too? Why would UND even enter into the equation? Hockey? Please, the big sky could care less.

This whole theory is so completely out of touch, it makes me laugh just reading the posts trying to defend it. I've got a million dollars for everyone of you if this situation happens. I can definitely tell that there isn't a whole lot of confidence in UND finding a conference in the near future from posts like this though.

You know what, it doesn't even matter if they do, so I'm not going to argue about them getting in or not (even though the NCAA consitution will have to be modified to do so). Lets say they get in. How does that help UND? Even if that school gets into the NCAA, its still an almost ludicrous connection between them and UND joining the big sky. This whole theory is so far out of touch with reality that I can hardly believe people are even discussing it. You realize theres a pretty decent chance that on the very small chance they are accepted to the NCAA, that they will go to a conference besides the big sky. And even on the even smaller chance that they are both accepted to the NCAA, want to join the big sky, and the big sky admits them, what is UND going to have to do with that? If they get in, why would the big sky not take their rival, simon frasier in too? Why would UND even enter into the equation? Hockey? Please, the big sky could care less.

This whole theory is so completely out of touch, it makes me laugh just reading the posts trying to defend it. I've got a million dollars for everyone of you if this situation happens. I can definitely tell that there isn't a whole lot of confidence in UND finding a conference in the near future from posts like this though.

You know aff, you are just too damn smart to be wasting your time posting on a message board like this. You should dedicate your massive intellect to something truly worthy of you. Something like world domination or inventing a feasible cold fusion process.

I doubt even S2C would bet any serious money on his musings. His real point, IMO, is that the BSC is probably going to experience some stress due to a reduction in the number of "core" members. That stress, along with other factors such as a relative dearth of attractive DI schools in close proximity to its footprint, is likely to give birth to unique solutions.

Everything and anything that is NDSU is football

Random Question/Thought....If the entire NDSU athletic department could be dropped, save football, would the majority of NDSU fans would vote yes and not think twice?

The answer to my question posed to you would be an emphatic "yes".

I think your so-called vision of UND athletics might be a little off kilter, whether it be because of being on this website where the majority of the posters I would say follow hockey more closely than football or just for plain simple lack of knowledge of the people that follow each program. Regardless, in no way would the majority of fans vote to drop football or either basketball program to save men's hockey I believe becuase of the sheer number of followers each program has.

Well...........I kinda was excited about Bison Basketball last year.......winter would be damn long with out it!

I doubt even S2C would bet any serious money on his musings. His real point, IMO, is that the BSC is probably going to experience some stress due to a reduction in the number of "core" members. That stress, along with other factors such as a relative dearth of attractive DI schools in close proximity to its footprint, is likely to give birth to unique solutions.
Well said, DStrait!

The Big Sky has to be creative to get the existing DI core member it needs: Denver U. Moreover, if UBC gets approved as an NCAA school, UBC, with a large captive TV audience in the Vancouver metro area, would be an incredibly attractive addition to a conference like the BSC. As written earlier in this thread, DU, UND, & NDSU would IMHO be the odds-on favorite addition, with DU by itself also possible, but a DU, UBC, UND addition gives the Big Sky the potential to take many of its sports offerings to the next level, upgrades its academic profile, increases its TV prospects, and offers future growth (i.e. Calgary, Winnipeg).

Schools like Sac and PSU will never be the stability for that conference.

And here we agree. The west coast schools don't need a big footprint to cover a big population/media base. Most would rather stay in the Pacific time zone (except for tournaments and select non-conference games). It's better travel and weather. As soon as SacSt, PortSt, or UBC for that matter could find a conference that fits that I'm sure they'd bolt.

Questions for anyone who may know.

If a majority of the presidents did decide that they wanted some stability for the future and voted all 4 of the Dakota schools in, who would bolt the conference? How would that affect the auto-bid for the Big Sky? How long would it take insofar as the "core school" portioin of the equation?

I doubt that the 4 school scenario would happen all at once. It would need to be done incrementally.

From past experience the Big Sky has always said that geography was the biggest stumbling block to the Dakotas, but if they had an attractive arrangement I would think that could overcome the geography problem. Perhaps taking NDSU and SDSU wasn't attractive enough to overtake geography. Perhaps a UND/NDSU or USD/SDSU would be due to the natural rivalries.

I know much more about the UND/NDSU than the USD/SDSU. I would think that a conference would love to have what the North Dakota combo has to offer. The schools are less than 80 miles apart, nearly the same size and very competitive with each other.

If a majority of the presidents did decide that they wanted some stability for the future and voted all 4 of the Dakota schools in, who would bolt the conference? How would that affect the auto-bid for the Big Sky? How long would it take insofar as the "core school" portioin of the equation?

What sense would that make? You think the BSC would essentially trade exisiting members for new ones?

?

That adds stability?

As much as fans like to dream up scenarios, this one makes no sense (you are one of many of have entertained it, geauxsious).

What sense would that make? You think the BSC would essentially trade exisiting members for new ones?

?

That adds stability?

As much as fans like to dream up scenarios, this one makes no sense (you are one of many of have entertained it, geauxsious).

I was playing off the posts by both sicatoka and wyobisonman stating that the west coast big city schools would bolt for a conference that is a better fit.

Schools like Sac and PSU will never be the stability for that conference.
As soon as SacSt, PortSt, or UBC for that matter could find a conference that fits that I'm sure they'd bolt.

And yes, I think that the Dakota schools would offer better stability to a conference. How long were all of them in the NCC? Was it 1926 that it started? That is pretty stable. How many conferences in the country have had that kind of stability?

Add stability?

Former DII schools have to make it through transition and then be members of the conference for years before they add anything as far as stability goes.

So you think it is logical to give schools on the cusp of leaving the conference another significant reason for doing so, even though the 'replacement' schools would be of no value for almost a decade? I certainly don't.

There is a reason why the Big Sky required agreement by all members before UNC was added.

A bird in the hand is worth three in the bush.

So you think it is logical to give schools on the cusp of leaving the conference another significant reason for doing so, even though the 'replacement' schools would be of no value for almost a decade? I certainly don't.

Hence my questions:

How would that affect the auto-bid for the Big Sky? How long would it take insofar as the "core school" portioin of the equation?
So you think it is logical to give schools on the cusp of leaving the conference another significant reason for doing so, even though the 'replacement' schools would be of no value for almost a decade?

Does this sound like stability?

My original post started out that I had questions regarding auto-bid and "core" schools regarding the BSC. Do you have any information on how each of these would impact the Big Sky or do you want to drop the facade and just call me stupid? ;)

I disagree with the premise of your hypothetical: the Big Sky is quite stable.

They have 8 core members (meaning they could lose 2 and be fine), in five years they will have 9.

Accepting your premise, you mention that adding the Dakota schools would add stability to pre-empt a move by some members, I think that is ridiculous.

I disagree with the premise of your hypothetical: the Big Sky is quite stable.

They have 8 core members (meaning they could lose 2 and be fine), in five years they will have 9.

Accepting your premise, you mention that adding the Dakota schools would add stability to pre-empt a move by some members, I think that is ridiculous.

We shall see.

Exactly.

Hypotheticals are fun, but there is too much uncertainty imo.

A year ago who would have guessed that Chicago State and Valparaiso would leave the Mid-Con leaving a place for IPFW (who had been repeatedly rejected) and NDSU and SDSU (geographic orphans) in a prime position to gain conference membership.

The only reason I'm raining on your parade, GeauxSioux, is because you chose to hold it in Seattle in February.

Exactly.

Hypotheticals are fun, but there is too much uncertainty imo.

A year ago who would have guessed that Chicago State and Valparaiso would leave the Mid-Con leaving a place for IPFW (who had been repeatedly rejected) and NDSU and SDSU (geographic orphans) in a prime position to gain conference membership.

The only reason I'm raining on your parade, GeauxSioux, is because you chose to hold it in Seattle in February.

That is why I moved from Seattle to Florida. Miserable and depressing.

I see SDSU moving to the Mid-Con. I'm still questioning whether NDSU will go. Once again, call me stupid, but I still see the Big Sky calling NDSU in the next few months. Regardless, the conference situation for NDSU should be resolved by the end of this year.