SiouxSports.com Forum

The NCAA revealed

PCM

The Web site illinois.scout.com is running a fascinating 14-part series of articles on the University of Illinois' relationship with the NCAA entitled "Through the Trifocals: Illinois & the NCAA." There's a great deal of background information on how the associatin was formed, how it came to be run the way it is and how that continues to influence the NCAA's battle with UI over the university's use of the Chief Illinwek mascot.

So far, seven of the 14 parts have been published. As additional parts are published, I'll post the links here. Here are the links to the articles published to date:

http://illinois.scout.com/2/540965.html

http://illinois.scout.com/2/541281.html

http://illinois.scout.com/2/541615.html

http://illinois.scout.com/2/542449.html

http://illinois.scout.com/2/542999.html

http://illinois.scout.com/2/542713.html

http://illinois.scout.com/2/543341.html

A couple of the quotes I found most interesting are:

Jack McCallum says in his Sports Illustrated article, "In his 1984 findings in the Tarkanian-NCAA trial, Judge Paul Goldman wrote, "In short, the NCAA now seems to say: 'If you want to play ball, you must join us, obey our rules and surrender any claim you may have under the Bill of Rights.' This Court disagrees with that attitude, as any fair-minded person must.' In another section, concerning the methods of some NCAA enforcement personnel, the judge wrote, 'These NCAA practices might be considered "efficient"," but so was Adolf Eichmann and so is the Ayatollah.' And, in 1978, a 17-member U. S. House Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations was also highly critical of the NCAA's investigative and enforcement tactics, particularly as they pertained to due process."
Like large corporations and most governments (and some crime families), the NCAA has often operated free from the moral development that would make it feel guilty or empathetic enough to limit its avarice. For instance, bully everyone into compliance if simple rule-making and subtle pressures don't make everyone submit to authority. Use blackmail, extortion and hostile takeovers, for they are normal tools of the trade.

Play your disagreements publicly so the public will be predisposed to your spin on things. If constant repetition of your story and refusal to admit a mistake don't have the desired result, attack the credibility of your opponent, especially if you cannot attack his argument on merit. Destroy your enemies at all costs, before they can gain on you.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't put too much weight in Goldman's decision as it was overturned by the US Supreme Court.

Tarkanian v. NCAA

For those with the interest and acumen, the decision is a pretty good read.

The main point, in relation to UND/NCAA is that the NCAA is that

a private entity's monopoly status, the Supreme Court didn't care if NCAA was one or not, does not make ita federal or state actor and thus the due process portions of the 5th and 14th amendments do not apply.

Okay, then. What part of the contract did the NCAA violate?

The NCAA constitution is a contract between the NCAA and a member.

From UND to NCAA, November 4, 2005, III.B.1:

The Executive Committee is not empowered to legislate.

Section 4.1 of the NCAA Manual outlines the nature, powers, and duties of the Executive Committee and contains no authority for the Executive Committee to act as it has.

Section 4.1.2(i) of the NCAA Manual specifies that the

The NCAA reserves the power within its constitution to act as it did:

4.1.2. Duties and responsibilities (of the Executive Committee)

(d) Identify core issues that affect the Association as a whole-check

(e) Act on behalf of the Association to resolve core issues and other Association-wide matters-check

(e) Act on behalf of the Association to resolve core issues and other Association-wide matters-check

If that's all they have covering their prodigious a$$, I'm not too worried.

OK I need to ask a question. I am taking a writing and research class and have decided to write a Persuasive agruement paper on why UND and other schools should be allowed to keep their nicknames. Does anyone have a suggestion on where I can get some research on this topic? I need to cite my sources and have to use fact.

I need help people, so please i would appreciate any help y'all can give me.

Thanks

PS I am the old guy in class, so I would like to do well.

I couldn't find "core issue" in Webster's but here is the definition of "core" from Webster's

"a central and often foundational part usually distinct from the enveloping part by a difference in nature".

Does the executive committee also get to define what core issues means? How is this part of the foundation of the association?

How the NCAA could identify mascots, nicknames and imagery as a core issue for association as a whole is beyond me.

In its various appeals, UND has quoted chapter and verse from the sections of the NCAA bylaws and constitution that it believes the Executive Committee violated. If I recall correctly, there's one section that specifically gives member institutions the autonomy to deal with discrimination.

The NCAA is taking a member's money with the clear undertanding that it's not going to involve itself in a school's discrimination issues, then turning around and saying, "We changed our mind. We're now going to be a catalyst for social change, and it's potentially going to cost you millions. If you don't like it, leave."

I'm sure that's part of what Kupchella referred to when he said, "The NCAA prides itself on being a bottom-up organization with a great deal of institutional autonomy. I think all the institutions that are members come to their relationship with the NCAA with that understanding. Whether they know it or not, this is a threat to all of us

I'd say this would qualify the issue as 'core'.

2.6 The Principle of Nondiscrimination

The Association shall promote an atmosphere of respect for and sensitivity to the dignity of every person.

I love how you come on here and throw bombs like this all the time. Can you ever come on here and not try to rile everyone up?

The Association shall promote an atmosphere of respect for and sensitivity to the dignity of every person.

Okay, I'll bite on this one.

The word promote.

Once again Webster's: "to contribute to the growth or prosperity of"

Does this say require?

The words "every person" jump out at me, also. How in the world can an organization of any sort protect every person from being offended?

I'm sure that you have been to a few Sioux/Bison events where fans have gotten out of hand and respect and dignity were thrown out the window. Should the fans then also be banned for being "hostile and abusive"? Is the NCAA supposed to create an atmosphere where the sports events are held with each side just watching. No cheering, no emotion. Just sit there and watch. Welcome to the Fargodome. Sorry, I had to throw that one in.

Have you read all seven of the illinois.scout.com articles? I don't know how anyone with a serious interest in college athletics could read about how the NCAA has routinely abused its powers for decades and reach the conclusion that acquiescing to still more and even broader forms of abuse is a positive development for the association or its member institutions.

While I know that's not what you're advocating, that's what it comes down to, which is why I find your willingness to defend the NCAA so puzzling.

Have you read all seven of the illinois.scout.com articles? I don't know how anyone with a serious interest in college athletics could read about how the NCAA has routinely abused its powers for decades and reach the conclusion that acquiescing to still more and even broader forms of abuse is a positive development for the association or its member institutions.

While I know that's not what you're advocating, that's what it comes down to, which is why I find your willingness to defend the NCAA so puzzling.

It isn't puzzling to me PCM, he would be on the opposite side of the issue that UND is on every time, just because it is UND.

Well, that's nice, but that's a "principle"; here are the expressly stated purposes of the organization,

1.2 PURPOSES [*]The purposes of this Association are:

(a) To initiate, stimulate and improve intercollegiate athletics programs for student-athletes and to promote and develop educational leadership, physical fitness, athletics excellence and athletics participation as a recreational pursuit;

(b) To uphold the principle of institutional control of, and responsibility for, all intercollegiate sports in conformity with the constitution and bylaws of this Association;