SiouxSports.com Forum

Kupchella on Sean Hannity show

PCM

I want to alert everyone that Scott Hennen will be subbing for Sean Hannity on his radio show this afternoon. UND president Charles Kupchella will be a guest to discuss the NCAA's American Indian nickname policy. The show runs from 2-5 p.m. (CDT). Unfortunately, I don't know exactly when Kupchella will be on. If I find out, I'll post it here.

Kupchella did a pretty good job. I thought the best point he made was, if for some reason Florida State University played a post-season game at UND, UND would not be allowed to use any of it's Fighting Sioux imagery, but the Seminoles could bring in the white guy on the horse dressed as an Indian, the spear, the tomahawk chop, etc, etc.

This show was on in Chicago at 9:00 pm, and I enjoyed it immensely. But I would appreciate any help people can supply: shortly before your President left the show, the host made some sort of reference to Notre Dame (this was right before he spoke about your website). Can anyone tell me what was said about the Fighting Irish?

Many thanks in advance.

I just had a quick question on this debate. Say some college has an obviously offensive name, like fight n_ or something along those lines (not that UND's name is offensive, this is theoretical). What would be the process for getting the school to change its name? Would the NCAA have any jurisdiction over that situation? Or is the burden all on the individual school? I think the NCAA would be liable in court, so do you think they have jurisdiction over that? Just wanted to get your take on that.

This show was on in Chicago at 9:00 pm, and I enjoyed it immensely. But I would appreciate any help people can supply: shortly before your President left the show, the host made some sort of reference to Notre Dame (this was right before he spoke about your website). Can anyone tell me what was said about the Fighting Irish?

I could be wrong, but I thought it was something like, "Is the NCAA going to go after Notre Dame and the Fighting Irish next?"

I just had a quick question on this debate. Say some college has an obviously offensive name, like fight n_ or something along those lines (not that UND's name is offensive, this is theoretical). What would be the process for getting the school to change its name?

The normal process is that someone in charge of the school (such as the president) or some governing body with legal authority would decide to make the change.

Would the NCAA have any jurisdiction over that situation?
I don't see why, but with the way the NCAA is run these days, who knows?

Or is the burden all on the individual school?

Until the NCAA Executive Committee decided to ignore the association's bylaws and constitution, its member institutions had the autonomy to make such decisions on their own.

I think the NCAA would be liable in court, so do you think they have jurisdiction over that?

If UND's lawsuit goes to court, we'll probably find out.

I just had a quick question on this debate. Say some college has an obviously offensive name, like fight n_ or something along those lines (not that UND's name is offensive, this is theoretical). What would be the process for getting the school to change its name? Would the NCAA have any jurisdiction over that situation? Or is the burden all on the individual school? I think the NCAA would be liable in court, so do you think they have jurisdiction over that? Just wanted to get your take on that.

I think that the 'N' word used as a nickname would be squashed by the courts without the NC$$ even getting involved. Something that offensive could be considered in the same way a speech by anyone encouraging a group to rape, pillage, murder and riot would be considered; not protected by the freedom of speech amendment. Can't do it if it would very likely result in violence, harm to others, etc.

I think that the 'N' word used as a nickname would be squashed by the courts without the NC$$ even getting involved. Something that offensive could be considered in the same way a speech by anyone encouraging a group to rape, pillage, murder and riot would be considered; not protected by the freedom of speech amendment. Can't do it if it would very likely result in violence, harm to others, etc.

Thats kind of the problem there though. How did you draw that conclusion that it was that bad? I know its bad, you know its bad, but where is the cut off for being that bad, and being just good enough? How can you tell? What "legal" terms can you use to define "badness". Someone could say something about how being Irish was given to us by the english to offend us and its and insult, but I still stand with it, why don't african americans deal with this the same way". This is a tricky issue, but I don't understand how decisions like this could be left up to autonomous institutions. What if I went to podunk U in D-III right now, and slowly changed the curriculum to majors such as "White Studies" or "Adolf Hitler" or something like that, and had the schools mascot changed to the fighting Nazi's and a guy dressed as a swastika was running around at the basketball games. You're telling me that the NCAA doesn't have a right to intervene then? Or if they do, doesn't that give them a universal right to intervene with institutions names? You can't pick and choose the cases based on how offended you are by them, or by what many in this country would percieve to be common sense. It will be interesting to see how the court case turns out.

Thats kind of the problem there though. How did you draw that conclusion that it was that bad? I know its bad, you know its bad, but where is the cut off for being that bad, and being just good enough? How can you tell? What "legal" terms can you use to define "badness". Someone could say something about how being Irish was given to us by the english to offend us and its and insult, but I still stand with it, why don't african americans deal with this the same way". This is a tricky issue, but I don't understand how decisions like this could be left up to autonomous institutions. What if I went to podunk U in D-III right now, and slowly changed the curriculum to majors such as "White Studies" or "Adolf Hitler" or something like that, and had the schools mascot changed to the fighting Nazi's and a guy dressed as a swastika was running around at the basketball games. You're telling me that the NCAA doesn't have a right to intervene then? Or if they do, doesn't that give them a universal right to intervene with institutions names? You can't pick and choose the cases based on how offended you are by them, or by what many in this country would percieve to be common sense. It will be interesting to see how the court case turns out.

The NC$$ would still have no place in removing such a name or sanctioning a school like this. That should be left up to the court of public opinion or to offices like the U. S. Commission on Civil Rights. The US government would have a major problem allowing federal funding to be used at a school that supports hate or discrimination so they would probably step in to make changes. The only way the NC$$ would have any right to step in is if they had proof that somehow this school was disruptive or threatening at an NC$$ event.

You couldn't possibly be comparing the 'N' word, Hitler, Nazi's, and white supremacy to use of the Sioux name. I know you are more intelligent than that. There are no cities, towns, rivers, parks, or roads in this nation called "Naziville" or "Hitlerton" or "N***** Town." Please use common sense when comparing the two. Yes, SOME are offended by the name "Sioux", but it pales in comparison to what your are trying to explain.