SiouxSports.com Forum

Kupchella on Sean Hannity show

PCM

The NC$$ would still have no place in removing such a name or sanctioning a school like this. That should be left up to the court of public opinion or to offices like the U. S. Commission on Civil Rights. The US government would have a major problem allowing federal funding to be used at a school that supports hate or discrimination so they would probably step in to make changes. The only way the NC$$ would have any right to step in is if they had proof that somehow this school was disruptive or threatening at an NC$$ event.

JMHO, but I think what would happen first is that most (if not all) of the other schools would refuse to play a team with a patently offensive nickname. That may or may not be covered by "the court of public opinion" as referenced above.

I could be wrong, but I thought it was something like, "Is the NCAA going to go after Notre Dame and the Fighting Irish next?"

Thank you for that information, much appreciated.

I'd just LOVE for that PC committee of eight university presidents to tell Dome that they need to change. If you thought that Florida State got quick action, the Domers would make the Seminoles look like snails.

I heard the first caller after your president left the show. I'm not sure I understood the idea behind his objection that "Illinois couldn't use Chief Illiniwek because there are no reservations in Illinois". Are there Vandals in Idaho? Tigers in Lousiana?

JMHO, but I think what would happen first is that most (if not all) of the other schools would refuse to play a team with a patently offensive nickname. That may or may not be covered by "the court of public opinion" as referenced above.

That is part of the public opinion. Other schools would have nothing to do with them, people in the region would complain, they would have great difficulty in raising funds, etc. The only possible way a school could even try something this outrageous would be a small private school, and they would end up isolated.

From Kupchella's June 7, 2006 letter:

Fighting Sioux and our logo are registered trademarks. The Federal Trademark Act of 1946 prohibits the registration of any mark that:

Consists of or comprises immoral, deceptive, or scandalous matter, or matter which may disparage or falsely suggest a connection with persons, living or dead, institutions, beliefs, or national symbols or bring them into contempt or dispute.

The fact that our mark is registered would seem to rule out