SiouxSports.com Forum

Great Game--1998 / Minn.-Twin Cities vs Sioux

JESUS,family,rutgers

A public thanks to a nice Fighting Sioux fan who sent me a copy of his favorite North Dakota game against Minnesota-Twin Cities in February, 1998. After being down 3-0 in the third period, the Sioux came back to win in a barrage of shots against the Golden Gophers goalkeeper. The crowd sounded like they were going to bring the roof down at the second arena. A great comeback, a crazy crowd AND someone brought a live gopher!!! Were any of you at that game?

A public thanks to a nice Fighting Sioux fan who sent me a copy of his favorite North Dakota game against Minnesota-Twin Cities in February, 1998. After being down 3-0 in the third period, the Sioux came back to win in a barrage of shots against the Golden Gophers goalkeeper. The crowd sounded like they were going to bring the roof down at the second arena. A great comeback, a crazy crowd AND someone brought a live gopher!!! Were any of you at that game?

That was a great game with great memories. And I also know the fate of the gopher.

I was at a meeting in Bismarck and watched it on TV at the Comfort Inn lounge.

I was there, on the glass just inside the blue line on the side where the Sioux shot at twice. I could see the Blake goal unfolding. As our D-man (Murphy?) took the puck, a bunch of us starting yelling because Blake had leaked over to the boards right in front of us. Sure enough, the pass came and Blake make that wicked move on MN's defense. After the wrister got by Debus to tie the game, that was the loudest that I had ever heard a stadium.

Thanks for the memory!!! It was a fantastic game!! We always sat in Row four, Section B, behing the goalie, the best seats in the house as far as I was concerned.

Where can I get a copy of that game? I'd love to watch it this summer.

FYI JFR, that's not my favorite Sioux/Gopher game, but definitely one of them. My favorite was the first one I attended live, which was February 1996, when the Sioux beat the Gophers 8-2 after Minnesota came into GF with a 19 game winning streak and the #1 ranking in the country. Anyway, for those of you who would like a copy of the game JFR is talking about, PM me. JFR, thanks for being patient with me to get you your DVDs, glad you enjoyed the games.

Anyone who was there will tell you the most unbelievable comeback was the 1989, 1990, or 1991 comeback (forgive my old memory for forgetting the year) from a 5-0 third period deficit against Northern Michigan. The Sioux scored 5 third period goals to tie it up and force OT where both teams' goalies stoned breakaway chances, leaving the game all tied up. NMU skated off like they'd just lost the national championship...the Sioux and the fans that were left celebrated like mad. I'd bet 1/3 of the arena packed it in after the 5th Wildcat goal and by the time it was 5-4, fans were scrambling to get back into the building. It was unbelievable.

Anyone who was there will tell you the most unbelievable comeback was the 1989, 1990, or 1991 comeback (forgive my old memory for forgetting the year) from a 5-0 third period deficit against Northern Michigan. The Sioux scored 5 third period goals to tie it up and force OT where both teams' goalies stoned breakaway chances, leaving the game all tied up. NMU skated off like they'd just lost the national championship...the Sioux and the fans that were left celebrated like mad. I'd bet 1/3 of the arena packed it in after the 5th Wildcat goal and by the time it was 5-4, fans were scrambling to get back into the building. It was unbelievable.

I was at the DECC in 1986 for the UND/UMD game UND had the most incredible comeback I've ever seen live. IIRC UND scored something like four goals in the last 2-3 minutes and ended up winning in OT against an excellent UMD (Brett Hull, Norm McIver, Matt Christiansen, etc) team.

I'm willing to accept that, just like the 2 gopher national championships "IT JUST NEVER HAPPENED".

Seems like a fair trade.

No can do, dagies. I was there for the comeback against NMU and it was REAL.

Well, I was at the 2002 Frozen Four title game, too, but that was obviously an implanted memory in my brain.