SiouxSports.com Forum

Lennon & DI

SiouxMD

Sioux coaches support decision - In-Forum

University of North Dakota football coach Dale Lennon finally got his wish.

A longtime supporter of moving the Sioux to Division I athletics, Lennon was all smiles Wednesday as UND president Charles Kupchella announced the school will make the jump at a news conference at Ralph Engelstad Arena.

He looks REALLY happy in the photo!

GO SIOUX ???

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we always knew Lennon supported the move. He's made comments in the past and he flirted with Sacramento State a few years ago. That flirtation was simply for a climbing of the ladder. I think we can all feel confident that Dale would rather be at his alma mater, but he knew that DII was becoming watered down and not the level it used to be.

Good move for the Sioux. Time for the AD and his staff to make sure that the coaches are energetic and highly invloved in recruiting all kinds of athletes, local and otherwise. Let's build, let's win and lets have some more SIOUX-bison weekends !!!

Fantastic news. The football program is certainly ready for this next step and the challenges that will arise. It was great to see Lennon with that level of excitement. If a more difinitive decision had been made earlier in the year I wonder if recruiting would have been any different. I think it certainly would have made the decision of Gratzek and Anderson a lot harder to make.

Here's a thread worth a gamble on.........I am guessing it will be the 09-10 season before the SIOUX (That's right, the name will be the same in 09-10) bison will play again. Final score will be Sioux 24 bison 13.

Fantastic news. The football program is certainly ready for this next step and the challenges that will arise. It was great to see Lennon with that level of excitement. If a more difinitive decision had been made earlier in the year I wonder if recruiting would have been any different. I think it certainly would have made the decision of Gratzek and Anderson a lot harder to make.

Here's a thread worth a gamble on.........I am guessing it will be the 09-10 season before the SIOUX (That's right, the name will be the same in 09-10) bison will play again. Final score will be Sioux 24 bison 13.

Alerus Center or Fargo Dome?

So how long do people think it will be before it is announced that UND is in the GWFC? I am guessing this fall just as the FB season, DI fundraising, and classes are all beginning. Maybe a Homecoming announcement?

I think it is unlikely that it would be that early. There are alot of variables. I would be surprised if it happens before the middle of the 2007-08 academic year (exploratory year) at the very, very earliest. All the UND fans now need to start pulling for NDSU & SDSU to get into the Mid-Con within the next couple of years because that would solidify the Great West, and make UND extremely attractive to the Mid-Con & GWFC. The worst thing that could happen would be if the Mid-Con snuffed the State U's, and the Big Sky added NDSU at some point during our transition.

I find it interesting that Dale mentioned Montana and Montana St. and wanting to play them. ???

Didn't say to much about the neighbors to the south. ;)

Makes one wonder if deals are being made. I think plastic surgery may be needed to wipe the smiles of Dale's and Tom's faces.. :lol:

I am happy we are heading down the D1 road, know if the hockey team can get us to a few more Frozen Fours... ;)

This is the best thing for UND football wise. I'm positive if UND didn't go DI, Lennon would. He's simply done too much at this level NOT to get serious attention from the I-AA level (Head Coach) or the I-A level (assistant coach)

I find this theory interesting.....what year did he interview at Sac State?? 2002??? it is now 2006...and he has interviewed or been mentioned for how many D1 or D1AA jobs??? 00??? I am just not sure where people get this from....and its a great thing for football....they dont have to play with the BIG boys....they get to play the minor league teams....if UND will go D1...go all the way...not 1AA....

I don't know, Taylor was already coming up with all sorts of excuses to not play.

The Bison will want to make sure UND athletes meet the minimum Division I academic standards, for instance, before they play the Sioux, he said. That's because NDSU would want a level playing field, and Division II academic standards aren't as stringent.

Herald

Gee, and the Bison were upset that we wouldn't play them when it really wasn't a level playing field. ???

I don't know, Taylor was already coming up with all sorts of excuses to not play.

Herald

Gee, and the Bison were upset that we wouldn't play them when it really wasn't a level playing field. ???

Does Taylor have any idea how ridiculous this sounds?

NDSU has three football players kicked off the team for academics and he's worried that UND athletes won't be up to par academically? :lol: With UND's new entrance standards? ;)

Thanks for posting that... I needed a good laugh before bed.

1) NDSU probably won't be playing UND in basketball until your first full year playing a full DI schedule, that would be 08-09 or 09-10, and I'd assume it would be the latter.

2) NDSU will not be playing UND in 2008 in football as you will still be DII in the eyes of DI (and DI in the eyes of DII) unless we are in the same conference that year.

3) I think a few of you guys should educate yourself on the transition process and the requirements of Division I before taking shots at anybody.

I'd like to see us play earlier, especially in football, but I don't see it happening.

I find it interesting that Dale mentioned Montana and Montana St. and wanting to play them. ???

Didn't say to much about the neighbors to the south. ;)

Makes one wonder if deals are being made. I think plastic surgery may be needed to wipe the smiles of Dale's and Tom's faces.. :lol:

I am happy we are heading down the D1 road, know if the hockey team can get us to a few more Frozen Fours... ;)

UND could almost surely get an away game at Montana-they don't like DIAA away games given the $$$ they make at home.

UND could probably work a home and home with Montana State in a couple of years.

Does Taylor have any idea how ridiculous this sounds?

NDSU has three football players kicked off the team for academics and he's worried that UND athletes won't be up to par academically? :lol: With UND's new entrance standards? ;)

Thanks for posting that... I needed a good laugh before bed.

UND never has a player that doesn't make the grade for academics? It's just that it's never announced at UND, and the gfherald never prints it.

I think it is unlikely that it would be that early. There are alot of variables. I would be surprised if it happens before the middle of the 2007-08 academic year (exploratory year) at the very, very earliest. All the UND fans now need to start pulling for NDSU & SDSU to get into the Mid-Con within the next couple of years because that would solidify the Great West, and make UND extremely attractive to the Mid-Con & GWFC. The worst thing that could happen would be if the Mid-Con snuffed the State U's, and the Big Sky added NDSU at some point during our transition.

I don't see UND getting a formal invite to the GWFC until they formally declare they are moving DI, ie NCAA paperwork signed and delivered to Indianapolis. I'm sure they are already on the minds of every Great West AD.

Despite what has been said by many parties, (hypothetically) NDSU would vote for UND to join their conference in almost any circumstance.

With regards to admission to the Big Sky Conference, assume the likelihood is low and don't listen to a work Fullerton says. It could be a home for UND in the future, but given the current landscape it is not likely. If it happens you will be pleasantly surprised. Fullerton should be in politics not administration.

I think a few of you guys should educate yourself on the transition process and the requirements of Division I before taking shots at anybody.

Oh, I guess it would be crazy to think that a school that has been offering a D-I sport for decades would have an idea of what the academic requirements of Division I are. ???

The UND football program a) doesn't recruit JUCO's or partial qualifiers b) is dealing with institutional entrance standards that preclude them from recruiting those types of "student" athletes in the first place and c) has consistently been the leader in the NCC (by an extremely wide margin in most cases) in academic all-conference players over the last several years. You would have to be an idiot to assume that during the transition UND would be playing with a bunch of guys that couldn't qualify to play D-I.

And also, if you agree with Gene Taylor's position, then you certainly must also be willing to discount all accomplishments by NDSU during the transition because the possibility obviously exists that some "D2 flunkies" on the roster made for an unlevel playing field when facing full-fledged D-I teams.

So which is it? :lol:

Oh, I guess it would be crazy to think that a school that has been offering a D-I sport for decades would have an idea of what the academic requirements of Division I are. ???

The UND football program a) doesn't recruit JUCO's or partial qualifiers b) is dealing with institutional entrance standards that preclude them from recruiting those types of "student" athletes in the first place and c) has consistently been the leader in the NCC (by an extremely wide margin in most cases) in academic all-conference players over the last several years. You would have to be an idiot to assume that during the transition UND would be playing with a bunch of guys that couldn't qualify to play D-I.

And also, if you agree with Gene Taylor's position, then you certainly must also be willing to discount all accomplishments by NDSU during the transition because the possibility obviously exists that some "D2 flunkies" on the roster made for an unlevel playing field when facing full-fledged D-I teams.

So which is it? :lol:

You'll be recruiting juco's real fast in a couple of years.

Did I write UND, no. I wrote 'you guys' in reference to the posters on the board. :lol:

While UND does sponsor hockey (never new that ;) ) it obviously doesn't have much experience (or luck?) with reclassifying as exhibited by UND's inability to stay up to date with the change in declaration date of an institution's exploratory year.

Of course maybe folks at UND are very good at repetitive tasks-such as repeating "we have hockey" whenever a NDSU fan is around- but aren't very good at reading comprehension or analysis. ;)

No more smack, I promise.

So which is it? ???

a) you'll need Juco transfers to fill your holes. good luck in winning, if you don't

b) don't get so high and mighty with UND's admissions-plus policy. so you'll admit students in a probationary manner-not a big difference from how UND operated before. that really has little to do with athletics, the NCAA has their own rules which are tough enough

c) Gene wasn't taking a shot at UND, he's pointing out that NDSU (nor any other DI institution) isn't going to be very interested in playing UND until they meet DI requirements; also, since you made the insinuation, please name some "D2 flunkies" that attended NDSU

1) NDSU probably won't be playing UND in basketball until your first full year playing a full DI schedule, that would be 08-09 or 09-10, and I'd assume it would be the latter.

2) NDSU will not be playing UND in 2008 in football as you will still be DII in the eyes of DI (and DI in the eyes of DII) unless we are in the same conference that year.

3) I think a few of you guys should educate yourself on the transition process and the requirements of Division I before taking shots at anybody.

I'd like to see us play earlier, especially in football, but I don't see it happening.

I don't see why that would be a factor. Carson-Newman, Arkansas-Monticello, and Concordia St. Paul are also DII in the eyes of DI. As long as NDSU continues to schedule at least one I-A game each year, they will likely continue to schedule one DII each year to offset it. In 2008, that could be UND. Wouldn't it be better for NDSU to bring in UND in 2008 for free and have 19,000 fans buy a ticket than it would for them to pay a different DII $35,000 to come to Fargo and only have 12,000 butts in the seats?

I don't see why that would be a factor. Carson-Newman, Arkansas-Monticello, and Concordia St. Paul are also DII in the eyes of DI. As long as NDSU continues to schedule at least one I-A game each year, they will likely continue to schedule one DII each year to offset it. In 2008, that could be UND. Wouldn't it be better for NDSU to bring in UND in 2008 for free and have 19,000 fans buy a ticket than it would for them to pay a different DII $35,000 to come to Fargo and only have 12,000 butts in the seats?

Right NDSU doesn't have any IA's scheduled for 08 and Taylor has already said that doesn't want to play any DII's in 08 because it may harm our playoff chances. Right now I really doubt NDSU will play UND in 08 but I would say a game in 09 is pretty much a lock.

I don't agree with that at all.

I think that CSP is the last DII NDSU schedules unless we play UND.

A DII/DIA combo might offset talent wise, but it doesn't impress the playoff selection committee.