SiouxSports.com Forum

Kwitcher whining

mikejm

The weekend in Springs was a disappointment, sure, but look at the Sioux on the Pairwise and KRACH ratings today: still in top 4 on both. INCH still has the boys getting a Number 1 seed into the regionals.

There is no reason for panic; no reason to jump off the ship here folks.

The Sioux flat got out-played by a REALLY good hockey team on THEIR ice; big deal. Look at what's coming up:

Tech 4 points

@ Denver 3 points

@ Mankato 2-3 points

Duluth 4 points

@ Wisco 4 points

Nothing there to see the Sioux drop out of a Number 1 seed. Keep your chins up and have fun, fercryinoutloud!

It is amazing to think that this team could lose another 2 games and still end the regular season with a 5 loss record. I haven't looked at the archives but isn't that just about the best ever for the program?

That said it is crucial to take all the points this weekend against Tech. MN will be breathing down our necks for the #2 spot. They are right behind and if we play well, we will take care of that #2 spot for ourselves. If MN has an amazing finish they could take it. We need to take all our available points. I think we can give up 5 points over the rest of the schedule and be ok, but you never know.

Do not overlook Denver and expect a sweep or even 3 points. Denver has had some injuries and some close losses, but they are one of the more talented teams in the league and have very good goaltending. I think it is more realistic to expect a split with Denver and Mankato, and sweeps of Tech, Duluth and Wisconsin. The other wild card is that Wisconsin always plays the Sioux tough, particularly in Madison.

5 losses is the fewest ever for the Sioux.

11-5-0 in 47-48 and 15-5-0 in 52-53

It's worth noting that so many fewer games were played back then that those winning percentages aren't as great as some recent seasons. That record goes to:

40-8-0 in 86-87 (.833)

Of course, that includes playoffs. UND's current all-games WIN% is .803 so they'd need to continue to win a little more than 4/5 remaining games (including playoffs) to do better.

I agree on Denver. They are tougher than people seem to think. I would be thrilled to get a total of four points out of Denver and Mankato. Then the Sioux would need to win the other six games, which aren't a lay-up either, by the way. Tech has been playing people tough. Before their slip-up last weekend, Duluth had played everyone tough. And, as noted, Wisconsin is never an easy opponent for UND (unless it's the national title game).

I think it is more realistic to expect a split with Denver and Mankato, and sweeps of Tech, Duluth and Wisconsin. The other wild card is that Wisconsin always plays the Sioux tough, particularly in Madison.

You hit my whatif entries there. Don't like going to Wisco either having to sweep to finish ahead of someone.

Team RPI PWR KRACH

North Dakota 4 4 3

Remaining games:

Michigan Tech 28 29 30

@Denver 11 13 8

@Minn State - Mankato 14 14 13

UM-Duluth 34 NR 27

@Wisconsin 30 NR 32

There's so much "Mankato" noise right now, it's easy to overlook Denver. You daren't do that. As a matter of fact, you daren't overlook anyone in the last weeks of the WCHA regular season (for example, Tech 4 SCSU 3 (OT), 01/31/03).