SiouxSports.com Forum

Illinois Tennis First Victim of Policy

nodakvindy

Just read in USA Today this morning that Illinois's tennis team is the first to lose hosting privileges due to the NCAA "hostile and abusive" policy. The team was the #7 seed in the 64 team tournament, and all of the remaining top 16 seeds are hosting.

Sue for lost revenue, hmmmm. Let's just shutup a while, then sue and get another new stadium, haha.

That money could renovate Memorial Stadium real nice for soccer, track, and football practice!!! A dome over it would be nice too.

I'll take what we can get at this point, but it doesn't seem like this is the sort of thing that the government should be involved with solving.

I had the same thought. On the other hand, the NCAA is acting as if it's an arm of the government, and it's not.

For some reason, without ever visiting Grand Forks, the NCAA thinks it knows that discrimination a federal investigation can't uncover exists on UND's campus. For some reason, Myles Brand and the NCAA Executive Committee think that they can simply disregard the organization's rule about members having the autonomy to deal with discrimination issues on their own and act as judge, jury and executioner against any insititution that doesn't agree with Brand's and Harrison's version of social justice.

That being said, I have my doubts about how much support this bill will attract in Congress. There aren't enough oxes being gored in highly populated states for big-name politicians to jump on board. However, even if the bill doesn't get much support, it does serve one purpose: it's a warning shot across the bow.

If the NCAA insists on continuing to operate "as a catalyst for social change" rather than an organization that regulates college athletics, the government will step in to make sure the association understands its proper role. Perhaps some of NCAA the member insititutions with real clout will realize that it's in their best interest to reign in Brand and company.

Let's not forget that the NCAA was created because the government threatened to regulate college athletics if the colleges themselves didn't do it. Now it seems that the pendulum has swung in the other direction and the NCAA believes its role is to correct government decisions or inaction. If the NCAA's members can't or won't keep the the association operating within well-established boundaries, who will?

I don't follow why it's acceptable to bring this problem to the judiciary but the legislative branch shouldn't consider it? The judiciary is just there to apply and interpret existing law (sort of), so if legislators think the NCAA is behaving in a manner inconsistent with the public good but don't think existing laws adequately express that, the creation of new laws that explicitly spell out the NCAA's authority is quite appropriate, IMHO.

I don't follow why it's acceptable to bring this problem to the judiciary but the legislative branch shouldn't consider it? The judiciary is just there to apply and interpret existing law (sort of), so if legislators think the NCAA is behaving in a manner inconsistent with the public good but don't think existing laws adequately express that, the creation of new laws that explicitly spell out the NCAA's authority is quite appropriate, IMHO.

Well, that's also a good perspective. I was thinking that how the NCAA treated its membership was between the NCAA and the membership. If I'm having a dispute with my neighbor, I can go to court to try and sort it out so in that respect it felt more appropriate for this to be settled in that manner than with legislation.

Well, that's also a good perspective. I was thinking that how the NCAA treated its membership was between the NCAA and the membership. If I'm having a dispute with my neighbor, I can go to court to try and sort it out so in that respect it felt more appropriate for this to be settled in that manner than with legislation.

I personally believe in less government, not more. However, in this case I'll take any help we can get. And just to recall recent events, Congress managed to involve itself in the bowl situation a few years ago when Tulane had a good year and didn't understand why they weren't invited to a New Year's Day bowl game-so there is some precedent.