SiouxSports.com Forum

Secret Meetings?

bincitysioux

According to Jeff Culhane, who covers USD and does a radio show in Vermillion, their has been negotiations between the Big Sky and UND/NDSU/SDSU going on. He interviewed Kolpack and Brandon Misenor (D2football.com) on his show yesterday. While I missed the show, their is some discussion of what was said both on Bisonville and on D2football.com.

UND has said it would want a conference affiliation in hand before reclassifying, and has said it's studying I-AA, so it follows that they must be talking with conferences about the possibility of membership. I'm not sure that quite qualifies as "secret conspiracy meetings" as the Bison fans in your link seem to think. Same discussions NDSU had with Big Sky and other conferences, we just might be getting a little warmer reception now that UND is in the mix (as many have speculated could be the case).

Any actual invitation to membership would have to come from a vote from all the league representatives in a real, public meeting.

According to Jeff Culhane, who covers USD and does a radio show in Vermillion, their has been negotiations between the Big Sky and UND/NDSU/SDSU going on. He interviewed Kolpack and Brandon Misenor (D2football.com) on his show yesterday. While I missed the show, their is some discussion of what was said both on Bisonville and on D2football.com.

If UND is considering DI, I would expect informal meetings and discussions to be on-going with potential conferences. UND administrators should not put Sioux athletics in a position where they will be a DI independent - that wouldn't be fair to anyone, especially the athletes. May 23rd, when Big Sky Presidents formally meet in Missoula, will reveal if the up front work by Harmeson/Buning/Kupchella has been fruitful.

If the Big Sky is interested in inviting UND / NDSU / SDSU, I hardly think that NDSU or SDSU AD's will be broadcasting that fact to their local reporters like Kolpack. After all the pain, money, and hard work that NDSU and SDSU have put into their DI transition, it will be embarassing and bittersweet for those school's administrations to be offered Big Sky membership at the same time as UND. A question may be if NDSU/SDSU administrations will accept a MidCon offer rather than a Big Sky offer so that UND gets nothing. But if the Big Sky than publicly declared interest in all three schools, Bison and Jackrabbit fans would then be clamoring for the BSC over the MidCon. If the Big Sky really wants 12 schools now, UND would be the 12th, even as an ineligible school.

Old news.

April 6th, from the guy who calls the Big Sky ever other day Steve Hallstrom:

When I asked him (Big Sky Commissioner) what options he sees out there for adding 3 more teams he said there were 2 schools in North Dakota that had positives and one in South Dakota. I asked him about the past conversations we've had when he said UND would not get a look unless they had moved to Division 1. He said that's still a concern, but just the fact that he brought UND up makes me think the Sioux may have a chance to do what they've wanted to all along, and that is get the conference invite before making the move.

Summary: The Sky is thinking of adding two ND schools and 1 SD school.

Bison Media Blog

and basically this "new info" was rumor spreading by getting offers by "very reliable sources."

After all the pain, money, and hard work that NDSU and SDSU have put into their DI transition, it will be embarassing and bittersweet for those school's administrations to be offered Big Sky membership at the same time as UND.

You are funny, I think the offer would be welcome, and not embarassing or bittersweet has you would wish.

Nothing better than being rewarded for pain and hardwork. Helping UND get into DI would be a bonus for the state of North Dakota.

You are funny, I think the offer would be welcome, and not embarassing or bittersweet has you would wish.

Nothing better than being rewarded for pain and hardwork. Helping UND get into DI would be a bonus for the state of North Dakota.

Indeed. An offer would definatly be welcome if it includes UND (ok, except for some Bison fans). Many of you have continued to slam NDSU for moving up without a conference against the consultant's recommendation and the school's administration felt they knew better and went anyway. Obviously the transition has gone well so far for many sports and given the opportunity again, they'd make the same decision even with the pains of being independant. Having UND on the schedule only helps the bottom line as stadiums would be packed with the renewed rivalry.

This is one Bison fan who would pick the Mid-Con over the Big Sky. The only thing the BSC has going for it is football, and we will be ok in the Great West. Basketball and all other sports are better in the Mid-Con. I think the invite will be coming sooner from the Mid-Con and NDSU should jump at it.

Basketball and all other sports are better in the Mid-Con.

The last two years the Big Sky and the Mid Cont. have each gotten 1 ticket to the big dance.

Two seasons ago Oakland had to play in to get the 16th seed and last season Oral Roberts was seeded 16th straight up.

Two seasons ago Montana was seeded 16th straight up and last season Montana was seeded 12th. Montana beat the 5th seed and then lost in the second round.

So by what logic is the Mid Cont. a better basketball conference?

As far as baseball and softball go, NDSU will need affiliate membership. The Mid Cont. might be a home for these two sports.

Bisonmav:

Only hope that the NDSU (and SDSU) administration is as mature in its view as you are. It would be best for everyone in the state if both got in the BSC.

As far as baseball and softball go, NDSU will need affiliate membership. The Mid Cont. might be a home for these two sports.

Centenary was offered membership to the MidCon (over IPFW, among others) because it offered the promise of (1) a decent baseball team, and (2) good recruting grounds in Louisiana. Oral Roberts U wants to be a power in baseball and probably wouldn't look kindly upon NDSU and SDSU as associate baseball/softball members (northern plains schools, almost by definition, can not be powers in these springtime sports at the DI level). ORU would probably look more favorably upon NDSU/SDSU as full members if those schools didn't have baseball/softball.

The only thing the BSC has going for it is football, and we will be ok in the Great West. Basketball and all other sports are better in the Mid-Con.

Actually, the Big Sky was 17th in RPI while the Mid-Con was 29th (third worst conference RPI in the nation). RealtimeRPI.com

The Big Sky is far more attractive in nearly every area, from quality of athletics to quality of institutional members. The only thing the Mid-Con has going for it is possibly being more geographically friendly, but not much.

ORU would probably look more favorably upon NDSU/SDSU as full members if those schools didn't have baseball/softball.

With Chicago State out, the MCC is down to six baseball members.

If Centenary leaves, they would no longer have the six they need for an auto bid.

IPFW does fill that need, though.

If Centenary leaves, they would no longer have the six they need for an auto bid.

An ideal baseball team for the MidCon (for Feb & March) is Texas-Pan American, even if only as an affiliate member. Northern Colorado is also a prime baseball candidate, but it could get in the WAC as a baseball affiliate. If NDSU/SDSU don't get full membership in the MidCon, look for UTPA or Northern Colorado to get baseball affiliation before the SU's do. The SU's are in a tough spot with baseball.

Bisonmav:

Only hope that the NDSU (and SDSU) administration is as mature in its view as you are. It would be best for everyone in the state if both got in the BSC.

I doubt that SDSU and NDSU would view this as a maturity issue. Both those schools have invested heavily in D-I, and I'm guessing UND would end making up the difference in the form of a much larger entrance fee to the conference to pay other members for playing anon-qualifying for the full 5 years. SDSU and NDSU would probably have much smaller fees to pay. If that is the case, I doubt either school cares, since all had to make sacrifices to be D-I. If you think that UND is going to ride into that conference without incurring the finicial losses that SDSU and NDSU have in any form though, you'll be in for a big surprise. UND is not going to be playing in the Big Sky immediately while they ramp up scholarships, hurting other schools RPI's or rankings, and not pay for it in a big way.

I doubt that SDSU and NDSU would view this as a maturity issue. Both those schools have invested heavily in D-I, and I'm guessing UND would end making up the difference in the form of a much larger entrance fee to the conference to pay other members for playing anon-qualifying for the full 5 years. SDSU and NDSU would probably have much smaller fees to pay. If that is the case, I doubt either school cares, since all had to make sacrifices to be D-I.

You may be correct that UND would have to be a larger entrance fee, but that pales in comparision with what NDSU and SDSU had to incur with travel issues and no conferences. Hypothetically, UND wouldn't be even eligible for conference reimbursements until it is fully DI eligible (three years after NDSU/SDSU).

BTW, DI conference fees are not normally paid upfront but are "paid" by not receiving conference profit sharing for several years. The Big Sky's entrance fee is probably around $250,000 (correct me if I'm wrong). The Big Sky's average disbursement is probably around $50 - 150 K / year depending on the years and # of NCAA wins, so it would take 2-4 years before any new school received $'s.

If you think that UND is going to ride into that conference without incurring the finicial losses that SDSU and NDSU have in any form though, you'll be in for a big surprise. UND is not going to be playing in the Big Sky immediately while they ramp up scholarships, hurting other schools RPI's or rankings, and not pay for it in a big way.

SDSU didn't seem to have problems scheduling Montana and Georgia Southern, even with its pitiful ramp rate of football scholarships (36 to 39 to 43?), whereas NDSU was begging to schedule those teams. Seems the Big Sky teams would prefer a UND not a full strength.

I disagree. It would be great for those schools. They would have the conference they wanted all along. They will have a two or three year headstart on UND.

Does anyone think the AD's and coaches give a rip who got where and who got there first? Bison Mav is correct. There would be some fans who would gloat, but last time I checked, the fans get to do things like discuss it on these blogs and websites and the Big Sky will make the call. This would be great for all three schools.

It would also force our hand to go D1 now. Unless someone can get us into a D1A conference, this would be the ideal conference. We would have renewed rivalries with the Montana schools, and renewal of rivalries with our pals from the south! If we were to pass on this opportunity I am afraid we may not get another opportunity like this in the near future.

Lets get on with this and get it done.

SDSU didn't seem to have problems scheduling Montana and Georgia Southern, even with its pitiful ramp rate of football scholarships (36 to 39 to 43?), whereas NDSU was begging to schedule those teams. Seems the Big Sky teams would prefer a UND not a full strength.

NDSU has a home/home setup with Ga Southern. Also the reason SDSU is getting games with Montana (and I beleive has similar deals Delaware and UNI) is that SDSU is willing to do two away/one home game deals

Big Sky (or Gateway etc) teams would love to play UND- but not in Grand Forks.

The MidCon has the choice of a number of schools to add as a baseball affiliate. The pecking order would probably be something like this:

Texas-Pan Am (weather)

Dallas Baptist (weather, only DI in baseball)

Northern Colorado (tradition, no competition from CU and CSU)

NDSU (great facility)

Utah Valley State

SDSU

IPFW

UND

By adding two Texas schools and Northern Colorado, the MidCon could almost be a southern conference for baseball, which would help all its baseball programs.

Centenary

Oral Roberts

Texas-Pan Am

Dallas Baptist

Northern Colorado

Oakland

Southern Utah

Western Illinois

Valparaiso

For UND, barring building a domed stadium or being a full member of the MidCon, there isn't much hope of it ever having DI conference affiliation for baseball (or softball, for that matter).