SiouxSports.com Forum

Next Year's C & As

siouxguyinstpaul

C - Porter

As - Stafford if he stays. Fabian and Bina if Stafford leaves

Oshie gives 110% to the team as a player but, IMHO, he's too young to be an A.

I would say Fabian, Oshie and Porter. I don't believe that leadership has an age limit on it.

Stafford is gone so I wouldn't worry too much about him.

It's going to be tough. Going from what Fabian had said in an interview after he'd been injured, Porter has done a lot of good work off the ice in a leadership role. That being said, he did increase his numbers this past season especially in the assists department, which shows that he's doing a good job in setting up his teammates. A little regression in the goals scored department. But stats aren't everything.

So, I don't think Porter will lose his letter. I don't think it will change from an 'A' to a 'C' though.

I see it this way:

Captain: Erik Fabian

Alternates: Chris Porter, Robbie Bina

It's tough because I know Oshie and Parise definitely are worth giving a letter to.

I think Oshie has the maturity and the team sense to wear a letter. I remember him pushing Finley out of a possible altercation during the Maverick rumble. He must have done it to keep big Joe out of the box and perhaps from killing somebody. TJ himself then got involved and built - from my observation anyway - a reputation as a guy that will back you and carries a "team' first attitude.

I think Oshie has the maturity and the team sense to wear a letter. I remember him pushing Finley out of a possible altercation during the Maverick rumble. He must have done it to keep big Joe out of the box and perhaps from killing somebody. TJ himself then got involved and built - from my observation anyway - a reputation as a guy that will back you and carries a "team' first attitude.

haha... I remember that! I can definatly see TJ wearing a letter, however at the same time there are a lot of quality character guys older than him (Fabian, Porter, Parise, Bina, etc) so we'll have to wait and see. I say that if he stays for his junior year, he's definatly got a letter

I remember that. They were right in front of my seats. He pushes Joe away from a fight to the left of us and then skated over to the right and got into his own tussle.

T.J. is definitely someone who is a great presence on the ice and very likely in the lockerroom. But there are definitely more seasoned players who may not be 'the MAN' that T.J. is but because of their time in the trenches and equal or better leadership skills deserve the letter more than T.J. does at this point. I do see him wearing a letter in years 3 and 4 if we're lucky to have him that long.

But in the end as always, it will be the players who pick the C and As.

Fabian will wear a letter.

I concur, Eric is a hard worker and I would love to see him finish his career with some kind of a letter on his jersey, I don't care if it is an A or a C. I think not having him at the end of the year hurt against a team like B.C.

CHRIS PORTER IS A HOTTIE!!!!

Ok, I think HockeyMom is enjoying the nice weather way too much and she should quit the Mike's for a while.

I think Porter and Parise should wear the C's and Bina and Oshie should wear the A's.......but it ain't up to me is it!

CHRIS PORTER IS A HOTTIE!!!!

Ok, I think HockeyMom is enjoying the nice weather way too much and she should quit the Mike's for a while.

I think Porter and Parise should wear the C's and Bina and Oshie should wear the A's.......but it ain't up to me is it!

I agree

Do you think they would make a goalie a captain? That is a LOT of pressure and responsibility on one person.

Porter and Fabian (You choose which letters).

Goalies are in their own world on the ice.

Studs don't wear letters.

Not up to me, as it is his team's prerogative, but I'd love to see Erik Fabian with the "C" - and yes, he is a stud. If there's a player I'd like to see my boy emulate, it would EF. Read the latest SI article on him and you'll know why.

I agree

Do you think they would make a goalie a captain? That is a LOT of pressure and responsibility on one person.

The on-ice reasons for captains is having someone to speak with the refs. Goalies cannot cross the blue line under most rules, except for timeouts, so they cannot skate to the refs. This is the main reason goalies are not typically captains. That and they are all crazy.

It was tried with Goehring his senior year, I believe. If my memory is correct he gave up the honor part way through the season because he wanted to concentrate on his game.

That's what I was getting at w/my post. It was discussed at tPB as well, although don't think they'd give Johnson the C anyway...

Jloos, I like your reasoning. The rules specifically state a goalie can't be an on-ice captain. BUT the C the team gives is not a binding contract to make them the on-ice captain, so you can still have a goalie be your team-elected captain and designate someone else to be the on-ice captain. HOWEVER the craziness is always a factor.

It was tried with Goehring his senior year, I believe. If my memory is correct he gave up the honor part way through the season because he wanted to concentrate on his game.

Karl wasn't wearing the "C", though. He was wearing an "A", and he took the letter off his jersey sometime in January (I think), because he "didn't want the added pressure". When he took that off though, he got hot and started the run that went all the way to the rematch with BC.