SiouxSports.com Forum

Brian Lee - room to improve

TheJake

I am definitely satisfied with Brian Lee's first season at UND in terms of his offensive skills and ability to create plays. Obviously there is room to improve but all in all I am happy with that. On the flipside, the defensive side of the puck looked shaky all season long. In my oppinion, the defensive side of the game is more difficult to learn and he needed to make a big adjustment making the jump from high school to the WCHA. For that, I'll give him alot of credit but the learning curve should not take his entire freshman season and then some... He is 6 ' 3" and knocked few people down and had plenty of difficulty knocking people off the puck. Chorney and Jones adapted quickly and made their physical presence felt at 3 and 5 inches shorter respectively. Was it all heart? They seemed more intense and hardworking during the games no matter the opponent. Maybe that is why Chorney ended up with multiple unsportsmanlike conduct penalties?

I just hope Brian Lee can keep up his offensive prowess, work out A LOT in the off season, play with a chip on his shoulder, and finally take a slapshot in a game? I like shots on net but just give me one slapshot, please!

Let's Go Sioux

The Jake

I think the expectations Lee had, based on draft position and all the accolades that had come his way the preceding two years, led many of us to be disappointed at times during the year. If Jones and Chorney seemed better adjusted, that could be the result of their playing experience in the years before coming to UND. Two (or three, not sure) years at SSM for Chorney is probably at least double the games Lee played at Moorhead, generally against better teams. Likewise Jones's stint with the US team had him better prepared. Even some who lamented Lee's lack of physicality during the year noticed that he got more physical down the stretch. It was good to see him mature that way. Really, for a true freshman, coming right from high school, he did great last year. I'm sure he'll be better in every phase of the game next year.

Regarding the slapper, I have to assume the coaches desire the PP to be run the way it is, where Lee finds a lane to get the puck to the net. He just floats the wrister in there, hoping for a Zajac tip. I do agree that it would be nice for someone to fire off a bomb from the blue line - I noticed in the CSB write-up for Lapoint that it said he had a good slapshot.

I agree with getting shots on net. I would much rather have any one of our D just concentrating on getting shots to the net on the PP and full strength. It is much better now than back in the day of David Lundbohm blasting pucks into opponents shin pads! That may have worked in practice against Andy Kollar, but not against our stellar tenders now.

Brian Lee did have plenty of opportunities to unleash a slapshot though. He'll figure it out eventually.

I think the expectations Lee had, based on draft position and all the accolades that had come his way the preceding two years, led many of us to be disappointed at times during the year. If Jones and Chorney seemed better adjusted, that could be the result of their playing experience in the years before coming to UND. Two (or three, not sure) years at SSM for Chorney is probably at least double the games Lee played at Moorhead, generally against better teams. Likewise Jones's stint with the US team had him better prepared. Even some who lamented Lee's lack of physicality during the year noticed that he got more physical down the stretch. It was good to see him mature that way. Really, for a true freshman, coming right from high school, he did great last year. I'm sure he'll be better in every phase of the game next year.

Regarding the slapper, I have to assume the coaches desire the PP to be run the way it is, where Lee finds a lane to get the puck to the net. He just floats the wrister in there, hoping for a Zajac tip. I do agree that it would be nice for someone to fire off a bomb from the blue line - I noticed in the CSB write-up for Lapoint that it said he had a good slapshot.

I agree with this.

First off, a slap shot isn't the best all the time. A good wrist shot is golden (just ask Toews or Stafford even Oshie). A good slap shot is more tricky. Look at Chorney. The guy has a wicked slap shot, but he can't hit the net 3 out of ever 4 shots he takes. To my mind, a wrist shot that goes at least as a save is better than the world's hardest slap shot hitting the glass. Lee may not have a slap shot, but his wrist shots, most of the time, only missed the net because they were deflected or blocked.

As for Lee's defensive presence, I think his physicality will increase with experience and strength. I don't see Lee, however, as being a Greene or Smaby type player. He just doesn't play that sort of game. I think he's been pretty solid positionally this past season and that helped a bit.

Like I said, he needs to work on strength. Also, being more responsible with the puck in his own zone while being rushed is an aspect he could work on as well. Otherwise, I really think he's doing just fine developmentally. I don't see how Ottawa couldn't be happier either with his performance. After all, offensively he finished the year second among WCHA freshmen defensemen in points. He was an All Rookie team member. He's now been to two IIHF U20 World Junior Championships and will more than likely be named to a third (if he isn't too old to attend).

I'm not unhappy with Lee at all. In fact, I'm really not all that unhappy with any of our D. I'm more concerned with the D we have coming in next year (Marto and Genoway mainly) and the health of Bina (even with the Dr.'s blessing).

Lee is OK....but Christ, there's at least a couple times a game where the puck is like a hand grenade and he doesn't want to get anywhere near it....I think he will get much better, he's got all the tools, I just wish he had a little more Commodore/Greene/Archie in him....Kill'em all!!!!

I think the biggest problem with Lee right now offensively is that he doesn't seem to know how to finish off a play very well. It's almost like he can get 3/4 of the way to a great scoring chance, but then he can't decide if he wants to dish the puck or take the shot. Obviously, that's something I'm looking for him to improve on - dance around the first guy and make the smart play once he gets between the circles.

I think our point play on the PP leaves a lot to be desired, and maybe it's just scheming. I'm most happy when Osh has it on the half-wall rather than watching Chorney and Lee pass it around like it's warm-ups. The passing needs to be quicker in order to get boomers to the net.

Brian Lee makes tough plays look easy, and unless you're really watching (as in isolation-cam style watching), its easy to forget what he does because its not memorable. He doesn't make the flashy hits or wind the big slapper a lot, but that's fine by me. What he does do is play great position - really I can't think of a time in the whole season where he got totally caught in the wrong spot.

Defensively: What I remember is how well he plays 2-1 and 3-2 or 2-2 rushes. He'll hold his ground and flick the puck into the corner at the right moment, retaining his spot between the man and the net and in the passing lanes.

Offensively: agree with some of the comments here ... if he gets 1/2 step quicker, a lot of the plays attempted will succeed. Don't really agree about the big slapper because in this day and age it never gets through. Would like to see more willingness to heave it into traffic for a tip ....

He reminds me a lot of James Patrick, who played a similar style of game and was also a fluid agile skater. Patrick also got criticized for not making big hits, but came in to UND at 18 and played 20 years in the bigs.

I agree he has a lot of improvement potential. How far he comes, and how good he gets, in my opinion, is up to him. Of all the great talent on this year's Sioux roster, he may very well have the longest NHL career.

Agreed, he usually works himself into the right position, but there is a lot more to it than that. Playing physical and outworking the other teams forwards in front of our net is crucial. Parise is going to stop the first shot and often times the second, but any goalie is going to need all the help they can get clearing bodies out of the way so they can see those first shots. Without Smaaby, we need the younger guys to step up and fill his shoes.

This means you too Joe Finley!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have no problem with lee's 1st year right out of highschool. he was 7th on the team in scoring with a bunch of assists. he does wrist it a lot and i really dont care how he shoots it as long as he keeps producing points. he will get bigger and more physical in the off season so that will come with time. our YOUNG d corp is going to be GREAT...lee, chorney, jones and paul bunyan, i mean finley...this will be a recipe for success next season

Lee is OK....but Christ, there's at least a couple times a game where the puck is like a hand grenade and he doesn't want to get anywhere near it....I think he will get much better, he's got all the tools, I just wish he had a little more Commodore/Greene/Archie in him....Kill'em all!!!!

I, too wish that Brian could pick up a little bit more defensively. However, you can't expect him to be like Greene because they are different players and Matt was HUGE! I could see Joe being a bit more like Matt Smaby or Greene, but I think Brian might get creamed if he did some of the things that they did.

I, too wish that Brian could pick up a little bit more defensively. However, you can't expect him to be like Greene because they are different players and Matt was HUGE! I could see Joe being a bit more like Matt Smaby or Greene, but I think Brian might get creamed if he did some of the things that they did.

Exactly. I don't know how many times posters here have said this, but Brian Lee isn't a bruiser. He's big, sure, but he's not a physical stay at home defenseman like Greene, Commodore, Smaby, Hale, and Jones were. He's billed as a top notch offensive defenseman.

I'd love it if he was more physical, but I'm not going to expect it out of him. I just want him to be defensively responsible and effective in the offensive zone.

I agree about Finley though. If we want another Smaby or Greene, we'd best be looking for #2 and #6 to make it happen.

Finley needs to get more agressive and Jones needs a bit of discipline. Once they get there, man o man!!!

Agreed x2.

I thought early on Finley held back every time he was going to hit someone. It's almost like Finley's spot in the roster was in jeopardy and he would lose it if he got called for a penalty. Tentativeness isn't something we're used to seeing from a big defenseman wearing a Sioux jersey.

And Jones gets too aggressive at times because he has a tendency to play with too much emotion. For a guy his size, he sure can hit though.

Chris aka MaizeRage gave Jones props though in an abstract way claiming that Michigan's chances vs. UND would have been much better if Michigan had a defenseman like Jones on the ice during the regionals.