SiouxSports.com Forum

Atmosphere at the Ralph...

SiouxMeNow

It's amazing what 11,000 hockey fans will do for a big arena instead of a 7,000 hockey fans and 4,000 people who got tickets from whereever and just want to visit or talk on their cellphones. THE RALPH was ROCKING - 2nd only to the TeamCanada fans antics during the World Jr's. and it was a GREAT ATMOSPHERE for hockey. Two things really stand out...

1- The way the arena ERUPTED when Holy Cross beat the Goofs...that was one for the ages! Those guys will never forget that.

2- The way a lot of empty seats (Gopher fan bailouts) seemed to fill up when time was running out on the Championship game. The gates were open and I actually saw people coming in late (and FREE!) to toast the Sioux victory. The roar at the end of the game was spine-tingling! AWESOME! Imagine if we had a crowd like that at every game WITH a full student section and the band in the lower bowl... ;)

What a way to send the guys to Milwaukee!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Memories of the Old Ralph were no where to be found. The new Ralph had an atmosphere all its own. To be sitting in the upper deck and watch the entire lower section go absolutely nuts was the greatest ever.

Sioux yeah yeah...yeah Sioux Sioux!

Does anyone else think that the NCAA will find a way or a loophole so that REA can host another regional? This regional had to be one of the most, if not the most successful ever and I would think the NCAA would find a way even if their own rules say UND won't be allowed to host again.

Oh yeah, this means that I was wrong and PCM was right. ;);)

This weekend was absolutly amazing. Hopefully the Sioux fans can carry it all the way to Milwaukee! The only thing halfway negative that I can think of to say is that it would have been cooler with the band in the lower bowl, but I can understand why they weren't. Although, from where I was sitting it was plenty easy to hear the band anyway.

I read in one of the articles in the paper that UND was going to start preparing a bid for the 2010 or 2011 regionals just as soon as this one was finished.

Does anyone else think that the NCAA will find a way or a loophole so that REA can host another regional? This regional had to be one of the most, if not the most successful ever and I would think the NCAA would find a way even if their own rules say UND won't be allowed to host again.

Yeah, once the NCAA sees how much $$$ they can make off the playoffs games at UND, it wouldn't surprise me to see thier attitude change a little. I mean, what is one of the big motivators for the NC$$?

I dont know the numbers for the other regionals but watching them on TV it sure looked like they were not sold out. Grand Forks was offically sold out, and people came to the games. If others were sold out, people didnt show. I can't imagine the NCAA not coming back to GFK.

West Regional

Pepsi Center

Denver, Colorado

Host: University of Denver

Frozen Four

Savvis Center

St. Louis, Missouri

Hosts: College Hockey America and the St. Louis Sports Commission

West Regional

World Arena

Colorado Springs, Colorado

Host: Colorado College

Frozen Four

Pepsi Center

Denver, Colo.

Hosts: University of Denver and the Metro Denver Sports Commission

West Regional

Mariucci Arena

Minneapolis, Minnesota

Host: University of Minnesota, Twin Cities

Frozen Four

MCI Center

Washington D.C.

Hosts: U.S. Naval Academy and the Greater Washington Sports Alliance

West Region TBD

Frozen Four

Ford Field

Detroit

Hosts: CCHA and the Detroit Metro Sports Commision

West Region TBD

Frozen Four

Xcel Energy Center

St. Paul, Minnesota Host: University of Minnesota, Twin Cities

All Regionals TBD

Frozen Four

St. Pete Times Forum

Tampa, Florida

Hosts: University of Alabama, Huntsville and the Tampa Bay Sports Commission

I find it interesting that in 2010 and 2011 the other regionals have already been decided except for the West. I would love to see all 3 of those open regionals be in Grand Forks. All the more reason we need to get the nickname issue worked out quickly.

The great thing about this regional was that all the games were full. I don't like the one ticket on Friday thing. When we played at the Minnesota for a regional, Sioux fans had a difficult time getting tickets. There might have been a couple thousand people that showed up for the game. Sure the Gopher game was filled, but people wanted tickets for the afternoon game and couldn't get them do to the one pass system.

The NCAA had to like what they saw with the regional. Maybe with different teams in the future not as many would show up for the "other" game, but I think they would.

I'd still go to the other game no matter who was playing it! I enjoy college hockey and don't get to see enough of it! In addition, the regional is a good chance to see teams I have never seen play before live! That was the best thing about UND playing Michigan to me, if I made of list at teams that I would like to see UND play, Michigan would be at the top of the list!

I would love to see all 3 of those open regionals be in Grand Forks. All the more reason we need to get the nickname issue worked out quickly.

I think Brand has lost so many of these that he's targeted UND as his 'must win'. We can either pay some goodwill $ to the Sioux tribe to get an endorsement or we'd need thousands of Irish heritage types demand the NCAA take on Notre Dame for their drunken stereotyped fighting Leprechuan. Brand/NCAA will NEVER dare go toe-to-toe with Notre Dame (notice they weren't included in the original ruling). Much better to drop the whole matter, letting little ol' UND off the hook than take on a fight with the big boys they're better off not winning.

The difference between Sioux fans and other fans, is that Sioux fans go to ALL the games on the dance card; regardless of who plays, who lost. Gopher fans flee a sinking ship before 'abandon ship' has even been announced.

I'm glad you all had the time of your lives! There is something truly special about home regionals and I don't think the NCAA eliminate them out west. Don't get too haughty about our plight though, there wasn't a whole lot of Sioux colors shown in the '03 regional final.

Congrats again to all you Sioux fans and good luck in Milwaukee!

I'm glad you all had the time of your lives! There is something truly special about home regionals and I don't think the NCAA eliminate them out west. Don't get too haughty about our plight though, there wasn't a whole lot of Sioux colors shown in the '03 regional final.

;)

sagard,

I'm glad Gopher fans like you exist. In my hotel lobby on Saturday morning I ran into three Minnesota fans decrying home regionals as a joke. One went so far as to suggest that the NCAA needs to eliminate them and play in 'neutral venues' like the Xcel Energy Center. After five minutes of listening to them, I couldn't help but speak up and remind them of how Michigan and Minnesota have made the most of regionals in their own buildings and now that the tables are turned, the grumbling starts. Your posts on here, however, have been nothing but complimentary.

Question...what was the song being played just before the UND/HC player introductions on Saturday night? Highlights were being shown of HC's win over Minnesota and of UND's win over Michigan. Help! It's driving me nuts trying to think of the song and artist.