SiouxSports.com Forum

I ONLY WISH THE BEST FOR RYAN P

Driveforshow

Does DU get to play games against "sub-par" competition, or just Minnesota? :)

That said, if I got to vote for the Hobey my vote would go to Carle or Elliott. It's not that I think Potulny wouldn't be deserving, but I think both Carle and Elliott had a more outstanding year.

Just Minnesota. Since Minnesota is the best isn't everyone else "sub-par" by comparison. ;)

And one "sub-par" team playing another "sub-par" team makes for good competition. :ohmy:

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Gophers are the most pompous organization in the country" says Patrick Ruesse this morning on KSTP.

They were a victim of poor coaching, their own arrogance and are now old news- lets move on.

Everyone knows that Ruesse could care less about hockey especially when it comes to the Gophers. Its funny how he says they are pompous when he knows nothing about the program, just ask him how many times he had been in Mariucci in his lifetime.

Everyone knows that Ruesse could care less about hockey especially when it comes to the Gophers. Its funny how he says they are pompous when he knows nothing about the program, just ask him how many times he had been in Mariucci in his lifetime.

That's the problem I have with Ruesse (and Sid for that matter). He is incredibly harsh and biased towards the hockey team. He never has anything positive to say about their program. I also think he is greatly uneducated about hockey in general and should not be allowed to offer his clouded opinion to the public. I don't understand why he's so freakin' angry at the hockey team all the time. Maybe it's because his precious basketball and football programs are so terrible?

Oh, and Specifics, will you please quit making an absolute buffoon of yourself? Seriously, the whole "my team is better than your team even though my team lost" argument is childish and make all Gopher fans sound stupid. The Sioux won when it counted the most, and the Gophs collapsed. Sure, the Gophs are a talented team, but they weren't able to get the job done in the big dance... just leave it alone, and hope we can reload next year and make a deeper run into the playoffs.

Not a dig against anyone, but doesn't it help to have your team in the Frozen Four?

I'm just thinking of Carle, Sterling, Sertich, and of course, Potulny. Of the 5 WCHA players nominated, Elliott is the only one still playing.

Of course, there is also Moore from Maine.

What do you folks think the odds are that it will be one of those two (Elliott or Moore)??

When was the last time a player won it outside of being in the Frozen Four? I know it's not that far off, but I'm not a stat monger, either! ;)

Not a dig against anyone, but doesn't it help to have your team in the Frozen Four?

I'm just thinking of Carle, Sterling, Sertich, and of course, Potulny. Of the 5 WCHA players nominated, Elliott is the only one still playing.

Of course, there is also Moore from Maine.

What do you folks think the odds are that it will be one of those two (Elliott or Moore)??

When was the last time a player won it outside of being in the Frozen Four? I know it's not that far off, but I'm not a stat monger, either! ;)

Don't forget Collins from BC.... he's my pick.

That's the problem I have with Ruesse (and Sid for that matter). He is incredibly harsh and biased towards the hockey team. He never has anything positive to say about their program. I also think he is greatly uneducated about hockey in general and should not be allowed to offer his clouded opinion to the public. I don't understand why he's so freakin' angry at the hockey team all the time. Maybe it's because his precious basketball and football programs are so terrible?

Oh, and Specifics, will you please quit making an absolute buffoon of yourself? Seriously, the whole "my team is better than your team even though my team lost" argument is childish and make all Gopher fans sound stupid. The Sioux won when it counted the most, and the Gophs collapsed. Sure, the Gophs are a talented team, but they weren't able to get the job done in the big dance... just leave it alone, and hope we can reload next year and make a deeper run into the playoffs.

I would never bring up my opinions on who I believed was the better team unless provoked. I came in here arguing in favor of RyPo. And it snowballed because a Gopher fan can't say anything on this board anymore. I should have realized that earlier. See ya.

Does DU get to play games against "sub-par" competition, or just Minnesota? :D

That said, if I got to vote for the Hobey my vote would go to Carle or Elliott. It's not that I think Potulny wouldn't be deserving, but I think both Carle and Elliott had a more outstanding year.

The point wasn't about the competition. The point was yes he has big numbers, but are they coming in the key games? Did his big goal total come when his team needed it? In his last three outings (sadly for Minnesota fans) the answers are: Yes, No, and No.

The point wasn't about the competition. The point was yes he has big numbers, but are they coming in the key games? Did his big goal total come when his team needed it? In his last three outings (sadly for Minnesota fans) the answers are: Yes, No, and No.

If you're going to use such a crieria, how did Carle and DU finish their season? And of the individuals that imho should win (Carle, Potulny or Elliott) the only one that is still playing is Elliott. Yet I still don't think that disqualfies Carle from winning over Elliott, although as I've said I think Elliott or Carle should and will win.

I guarantee you that if a Sioux player were up for the Hobey Baker award and just short of 1/3 of his goals were against the last-place team in the conference and UND had played them six times, Don Lucia would make that an issue when placing his vote. This award isn't about the best pro prospect or about the best player on the championship team.

Every numbers argument has holes in it. (I was trying to illustrate that, and probably failed.)

When I think Hobey Baker I think "which guy this year gave his team the best chance to win" or better, "which guy don't I want to see on the other squad because he can take over a game."

Under my own criteria Carle and Elliott pop to the top.

I guarantee you that if a Sioux player were up for the Hobey Baker award and just short of 1/3 of his goals were against the last-place team in the conference and UND had played them six times, Don Lucia would make that an issue when placing his vote. This award isn't about the best pro prospect or about the best player on the championship team.

Lets not forget when Panzer was a Hobey candidate Lucia voted for the Miller. I hope our guys in the UND camp vote for Carle.

Lets not forget when Panzer was a Hobey candidate Lucia voted for the Miller. I hope our guys in the UND camp vote for Carle.

Revenge vote? Interesting take.

I hope all the voters cast their votes for whomever they feel is most deserving. Personally, I would vote for Carle and interestingly enough it's because a comment a Sioux fan made (maybe you?) somewhere in cyber-world. To paraphrase what was posted, Carle would get their vote because he controlled every aspect of the game as a defensemen and this is a very rare thing in college hockey. Thinking back, methinks this is why Leopold won the Hobey IMHO and I think Carle does does this at least as good, if not better, than Leo did.

I hope all the voters cast their votes for whomever they feel is most deserving. Personally, I would vote for Carle and interestingly enough it's because a comment a Sioux fan made (maybe you?) somewhere in cyber-world. To paraphrase what was posted, Carle would get their vote because he controlled every aspect of the game as a defensemen and this is a very rare thing in college hockey. Thinking back, methinks this is why Leopold won the Hobey IMHO and I think Carle does does this at least as good, if not better, than Leo did.

I am saying that who ever on UND team when it comes to voting should remember tDon and his snub or Panzer. Carel is more deserving in my opinion anyways.

Nicely put. Personally I hope Potulny wins because he is a local kid. Carle is the best d-man college hockey has seen since Leopold, although I still think Leopold is one of the best college d-man to ever play, not sure if I can say that about Carle, maybe if he stuck around for next season and put up similar numbers. He still had the best season in college hockey and will likely win the award.

Potulny scored a lot against AA - but so did everyone else. He also had a ton of points against the Sioux. His stats this year are impressive, nobody can legitimately deny that.

Carle gets my vote. He could control a game when he was on the ice, no one else in this group can say that.

Potulny's number's are VERY good, but as several have pointed out, other than the SCSU game, where was the big play when it really mattered.

Elliott would have got my vote back in January, but I don't think you can miss as much time as he did, and still be considered a serious candidate. Not his fault, but just the way it is. Plus when he did come back, those first few games he looked like pee-wee goalie out there.

Carle gets my vote. He could control a game when he was on the ice, no one else in this group can say that.

Potulny's number's are VERY good, but as several have pointed out, other than the SCSU game, where was the big play when it really mattered.

Elliott would have got my vote back in January, but I don't think you can miss as much time as he did, and still be considered a serious candidate. Not his fault, but just the way it is. Plus when he did come back, those first few games he looked like pee-wee goalie out there.

Carle, Potulny and Elliott are all three very deserving of the Hobey Baker Award. Personally, I would vote for Potulny because he's a local kid. I grew up neighbors with Ryan, and I would definitely love to see him win this award. I know his father Jay very well, family friends as a matter of fact, and I am rooting for the local stud. Potulny and Carle will be hurt by the fact that the NCAA usually picks a winner who's team advances to the Frozen Four.

I would say that Elliott, Chris Collins of Boston College and Greg Moore of Maine will be the front runners only because their teams are playing in the Frozen Four. The three best players though would be Potulny, Carle and Elliott in no particular order.

I guarantee you that if a Sioux player were up for the Hobey Baker award and just short of 1/3 of his goals were against the last-place team in the conference and UND had played them six times, Don Lucia would make that an issue when placing his vote.

I don't think anyone of us is in a position to know what's going on inside Don Lucia's head. Perhaps Lucia thought Miller was the more deserving player? But I suppose voting against the players of our rivals is more imporant than voting for who we think should win?

Every numbers argument has holes in it. (I was trying to illustrate that, and probably failed.)

When I think Hobey Baker I think "which guy this year gave his team the best chance to win" or better, "which guy don't I want to see on the other squad because he can take over a game."

Under my own criteria Carle and Elliott pop to the top.

I mostly agree except for two minor points. :D When you took away some "points" from Potulny because of how he and the Gophers finished his season, I think that the same critieria should be applied to Carle for his individual and team finish. I also would disagree that it would be wise not to be wary of a player that scored as many goals as Potunly this season. :ohmy:

That said, I agree with your overall and my vote would go to Carle or Elliott.

I don't think anyone of us is in a position to know what's going on inside Don Lucia's head. Perhaps Lucia thought Miller was the more deserving player? But I suppose voting against the players of our rivals is more imporant than voting for who we think should win?

Duly noted. However, I didn't say that anyone should take that into consideration when placing their vote, did I? I can think of a lot of other reasons why Potulny shouldn't win the Hobey that are better than "Lucia screwed Panzer."

Ryan's play at Wisconsin and at home vs. DU were the primary reason the Gophers won the league. I realize winning the WCHA doesn't mean much, but RP did score a lot of big goals for the Gophers this year. He like Carle just couldn't get it done at the end. They are both worth candidates, but if excelling at the very end of the season is the requirement I'd say Elliott or Collins should get the nod. Personally I though Carle was far and away the best player in the NCAA this year and I'll be surprised if he doesn't win it.

I'm sure if Carle or RP does win it, they would trade it to Collins or Elliott immediately for another shot at the Frozen Four.

No. I accidentally responsed to a comment made later on by someone else in the same spot. Mea culpa.

No problem. Frankly, I'm opposed to voting AGAINST someone and prefer to vote FOR someone else. There are plenty of reasons to like candidates without the best reason being a negative about someone else.

I disagree with sagard's assessment that winning the WCHA doesn't mean much. It's a conference championship and they still raise banners for them at Mariucci and REA, don't they?